Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amhran na Bhfiann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?

Well do you speak fluent Irish? I understand what you're saying but I dont think its that big of deal. As I say Irish is preferable but is there really any harm in people singing it in the language they use every day if they arent comfortable with Irish? 

Just as an aside I think everyone who is not fluent in Irish should know the English words because otherwise you are just saying a load of words that you dont understand
Sponsored Links

The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?
Eh, well we're talking English now.

really? jesus, i thought i was speaking swahili. don't be stupid
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:00pm

Well do you speak fluent Irish? I understand what you're saying but I dont think its that big of deal. As I say Irish is preferable but is there really any harm in people singing it in the language they use every day if they arent comfortable with Irish? 

Just as an aside I think everyone who is not fluent in Irish should know the English words because otherwise you are just saying a load of words that you dont understand

you don't have to be fluent in irish to know the national anthem?? i can hold up a conversation but i'm not fluent. i wasn't even good in it at school but i liked learning it, just because it's part of our identity. i just think it's a bit insulting to sing it in english. if you know it then sing your heart out, but if you don't know it, then don't embarrass yourself by learning it in english. nobody else in this country in the stands would sing it in english. i learned it when i was 10. if a 10 year old can learn it, any one can!
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:07pm
Of course you dont have to speak fluent Irish, thats not really what I was getting at. I agree every Irish person should know it in Irish but my mate just plain wont learn it in Irish. Personally I think its still preferable to know it in English than not know it all. I know where you are coming from but as I say something is better than nothing
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:09pm
I understand what walls is saying and I would agree with him. Its one thing to the words to Amhrán na bhFiann, its another to know what it means. Also, it was written in English in the first place so you can't make it out to sound like the song is being barstardised
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

Gimp of the highest order, put his message in his box and ram it up his hole.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:37pm
Last year before the italy game, the garda band played Amhrán na bhFiann at a hundred miles per hour, was ridiculous, when its so fast its hard to belt out the words. They copped on for the France game, it was played slowly, the way the words have most meaning. Easier to sing as well.

I dont think having someone sing the anthem live is necessarily the best idea. In Paris, they had the words sung out over the tannoy to try drown us out, clever tactic. Leave it with a band playing the tune at a slow pace, and thats perfect. Someone should have a word.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
silas10 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silas10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:42pm
its a disgrace not 1 irish player stands correctly for the anthem, your hands arent suppose to be behind your back they should be straight down by your side.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by silas10 silas10 wrote:

its a disgrace not 1 irish player stands correctly for the anthem, your hands arent suppose to be behind your back they should be straight down by your side.

Really, how do you know this? I always sing it with my arms behind my back. Why is that wrong? Im genuinely not taking the piss. Perhaps Im just a small bit ignorant, wouldnt mind a bit of education!!! I presume its the Government who make these regualtions, similar to the treatment they recommend for the National Flag. Im not aware of any Government recommendations as regards correct singing and posture towards the National Anthem. Again I could be wrong and am very open to some education!!!
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by GreenTribe GreenTribe wrote:

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

Gimp of the highest order, put his message in his box and ram it up his hole.

LOL Quality FW. I'm going to request that song at your next gig.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 1:12am
does anyon else think its a bit ironic that about 40% of the singing section don't even sing the national anthem before the game...no having a go, but its true
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

does anyon else think its a bit ironic that about 40% of the singing section don't even sing the national anthem before the game...no having a go, but its true

so less than half but more than 30% citizen Wink
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
silas10 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silas10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:59am
ye your standin to attention watch how the gardai and army do it for the anthem.(im not in the army or a member of the gardai)
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:01am

Really, how do you know this? I always sing it with my arms behind my back. Why is that wrong? Im genuinely not taking the piss. Perhaps Im just a small bit ignorant, wouldnt mind a bit of education!!! I presume its the Government who make these regualtions, similar to the treatment they recommend for the National Flag. Im not aware of any Government recommendations as regards correct singing and posture towards the National Anthem. Again I could be wrong and am very open to some education!!!
Never heard that before either Silas. Hands behind my back is what I do too. But if there is indeed a different protocol/regulation, it should be communicated better perhaps as I do not think many people are aware of it.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:04am

Phone Joe Duffy FFS
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:32am
Half the people arent in their seats anyway when the anthem is played. Theres always people pushing by me getting to their seats when the anthem is on. They should be respecting it and standing still.

Put the words up on the screen.

Our national anthem in english? - I hope thats a fookin' joke.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:20pm
Watching the Italy u21's the other night signing their anthem with passion and pride.

Then watched our players, and most simply weren't bothered. This really pisses me off.

Great to see Bazunu and Ogbene singing it Clap
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:29pm
Its time Coleman started singing it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic