You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amhran na Bhfiann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amhran na Bhfiann
    Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:19am
Ive posted this several times on here before but the way the Garda Band or whoever plays in at the matches is crap.It sucks the life out of it.Its meant to be a rebel song but its played like a church hymn.Also it starts too early,people are still clapping the away anthem and miss the start of ours.Its also played too fast.

Again I will refer to the Germany away match,a little intro and then one of the best renditions of Amhran na Bhfiann Ive ever had.I dont know what can be done with this complaint but if any of the lads are meeting with the FAI before the Russia match its something I think should be addressed.

Sponsored Links

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:23am
It's not rousing enough. If I was German for example, their anthem would make the hairs on my neck stand up.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:38am
that was epic, deserved a better performance that night! but ye i'd agree with you, that's what i meant in another thread by saying they should get someone to sing along to the national anthem. the garda band make it sound like a fcukin xmas song
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Ive posted this several times on here before but the way the Garda Band or whoever plays in at the matches is crap.It sucks the life out of it.Its meant to be a rebel song but its played like a church hymn.Also it starts too early,people are still clapping the away anthem and miss the start of ours.Its also played too fast.

Again I will refer to the Germany away match,a little intro and then one of the best renditions of Amhran na Bhfiann Ive ever had.I dont know what can be done with this complaint but if any of the lads are meeting with the FAI before the Russia match its something I think should be addressed.

Another problem is, not enough people know the words to the fecking thing.Angry The amount of people who just stand there muttering it, and throwing out random words is ridiculous. If you dont, know the words, you should be turned away! Simple as!!
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Another problem is, not enough people know the words to the fecking thing.Angry The amount of people who just stand there muttering it, and throwing out random words is ridiculous. If you dont, know the words, you should be turned away! Simple as!!
ClapThumbs%20Up

Shin-na fee-in-na fall
A-taw fwee yal eg Erin
Bween daur slew
Harr teen du rawnig cooin
Fwaw vode veh sair
Shann-tier awr shinshir fawsta
Nee awg-fur fween teer-awn naw fween trawl
A nukt a hay-un sa varna vwail
Lay g'yan air gwale cunn bawsh no sale
Le gunna schrake, fay law vock na bill air
Shuh liv con-ig arawn naveen
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

ClapThumbs%20Up

Shin-na fee-in-na fall
A-taw fwee yal eg Erin
Bween daur slew
Harr teen du rawnig cooin
Fwaw vode veh sair
Shann-tier awr shinshir fawsta
Nee awg-fur fween teer-awn naw fween trawl
A nukt a hay-un sa varna vwail
Lay g'yan air gwale cunn bawsh no sale
Le gunna schrake, fay law vock na bill air
Shuh liv con-ig arawn naveen

looks like welsh now haha
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:52am
Not knowing the words is something I just cant accept.Even singing them phonetically as CO has posted will add to the atmosphere.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:05am
Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

Edited by the_walls - 09 Sep 2010 at 11:05am
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:28pm

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
GreenTribe View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Please Count, can I be a Mod?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Agree up to a point Boy Z, but the lack of knowledge of too many is a reflection on a) This country's attitude to the importance of learning it and b) People's lack of proper effort to learn it themselves anyhow.

Put the bloody words up on the Big Screen as they did a few times in Croker, no real excuse for muddling through it then, even if you're not sure of pronunciation.

Finally, they should get a singer, a PROPER singer, to perform it.  Not fookin X Factor competitors, Boy Band/Girl Band/sh*te Band singers, not Brian Kennedy/Daniel/Cheating Keating, none of those dickheads, a proper Irish singer with proper pronunciation and passion for it.

Angry

Brian Kennedy Heart

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
PaulMcGrath View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:07pm
Completely agree. National anthem way to fast and a bit of an intro would be good. Fair play to the Germans - still have a tape of the National Anthem when we played England in 88. Never mind the intro they played a whole verse before the main chorus.Clap
Ooh Aah Paul McGrath say ooh aah Pau McGrath
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Even if people knew it in English it would be better than nothing. One of my mates doesnt know it. He is from Down and never learned Irish in school so Im always on at him if he doesnt feel comfortable singing it in Irish at least learn it in English!!

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

let's get wee daniel singin it with some swing band
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

the whole point of it is that it is in irish though...defeats the purpose learning it in english

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:41pm

Dont agree with that mate, yeah its preferable if its sang in Irish but its still the same song if its sang in English or Irish

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:42pm
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:43pm
Get Slash to play it on the Axe
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:47pm

well it's out national anthem and irish is our national language, what would be the point of learning it in english?
Eh, well we're talking English now.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic