You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

America For the Summer!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: America For the Summer!!!!
    Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:53pm
Right lads, had the sh*ttest summer of my life this year, so im determined to go to america next year for the summer..... Think i will still be eligble for a J1, will be 23 in May and still in college..... Anyone ever been on a J1 or just america for the summer.... Have any advice/stories ya's could give me? Need to dtsrt planning and saving for this now
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:19pm
I did a J1 a few years back to Chicago. Absolute savage city, lived 5 minutes from Wrigley Park. About 14 or 15 of us. All the girls were staying in posh apartment in the city centre cos one of the girls had an aunt over there who sorted it out for them. Our gaffe was totally unfurnished except for a fridge and a cooker. I dont think the cooker was used once, we just lived off all the cold pizza that some of the lads would bring back from the pizza place they worked in. Slept on a wooden floor for the summer in a room with 3 other lads. We'd stay in girls gaffe the odd time and it was like luxury cos they had a carpet ya could sleep on!!! We had a house party with a keg which got busted by the cops, most of us legged it cos we were only 20, straight down to the local pub. The white Americans absolutely hated the Hispanics but we got on great with them. Had an absolute ball. Definetely go for it manThumbs%20Up

Edit: Meant to say when Americans are finished with things they just leave them in the back alley behind their house. We got two couches (of questionable quality to be fair LOL) and two air conditioners that way (which you really need in the summer)

Edited by the_walls - 23 Sep 2010 at 4:21pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I did a J1 a few years back to Chicago. Absolute savage city, lived 5 minutes from Wrigley Park. About 14 or 15 of us. All the girls were staying in posh apartment in the city centre cos one of the girls had an aunt over there who sorted it out for them. Our gaffe was totally unfurnished except for a fridge and a cooker. I dont think the cooker was used once, we just lived off all the cold pizza that some of the lads would bring back from the pizza place they worked in. Slept on a wooden floor for the summer in a room with 3 other lads. We'd stay in girls gaffe the odd time and it was like luxury cos they had a carpet ya could sleep on!!! We had a house party with a keg which got busted by the cops, most of us legged it cos we were only 20, straight down to the local pub. The white Americans absolutely hated the Hispanics but we got on great with them. Had an absolute ball. Definetely go for it manThumbs%20Up

At the minute there is only me and one mate planning on going for the whole summer... There will be other people we know who are going to california in late july/august.... plan is to fly to either boston or chicargo, work for a monthish and meet up with the rest in california for the last 5 weeks or so..... What do ya reckon im gonna need money wise for that, not including flights... Credit union account opening tomorrowThumbs%20Up
Kerrybai View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerrybai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:26pm
Did one last year on the east coast, my sis did one too , she went to california. Neither of us got jobs so save plenty of money.
"We came from the sea originally, now we're going back in it. Don't go in it, unless you're in a boat." - Karl Pilkington
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:41pm
Thats awful hard to know man. To be fair I said a few years ago, it was actually 7 years agoEmbarrassed

It all depends on what you are doing. If you are just going to be drinking solid you can get by with f**k all (particularly if you working) cos there is always a pub doing drinks promotion. No matter what day of the week it was we were always in a pub doing $1 beers. There was even one pub that did 24 cent beer one night a week!! If there is two of ye ya buy a round, give the barman a dollar tip, sorted. As for the rent, I paid f**k all. The landlord was from Kerry and he was knocking the place at the end of the summer so he packed the 8 of us into the apartment and charged us f**k all. It may have been about $100 a month. No paperwork or anything like that. To be honest man I wouldnt have a clue how much a "normal" place would set ya back.

If you save up and get a job over there you will be laughing man. $2,500-$3,500 but thats just an educated guess to be fair and as I say depends on what you plan to do over there
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:47pm
Gonna seriously starting curtailing my nights out for the next while, 4 budail of wine from tesco's before i go out, n save like a jew for the next 9 months, please god it will all work out
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Gonna seriously starting curtailing my nights out for the next while, 4 budail of wine from tesco's before i go out, n save like a jew for the next 9 months, please god it will all work out

Ah it will be grand, seriously it will all be worth it, you'll have a great summer Thumbs%20Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic