You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alcohol Minimum Price

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcohol Minimum Price
    Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:09am
Looks like that horrible witch Shortall is going to bring this in - and you wont be able to escape it by crossing the border. Turning into such a nanny state. This is being brought in but no mention of extending night club opening times that was in the Labour manifestoAngry

Quote GERRY MORIARTY, Northern Editor, in Armagh

HEALTH AUTHORITIES on both sides of the Border are planning to introduce a minimum price for alcohol on the island in an effort to combat alcohol abuse.

Government and Northern Executive Ministers decided on the strategy at a conference in Armagh yesterday and hope to agree a minimum drinks pricing structure by year-end.

Ministers for Health James Reilly and Edwin Poots and Minister of State for Health Róisín Shortall told The Irish Times of their plans to tackle alcohol abuse through increasing prices for low-price, high-strength drinks such as cider, beers and own-brand spirits.

“Problem drinkers and young drinkers are very price-sensitive and for them there is a very direct correlation between price and levels of consumption,” said Ms Shortall.

Both administrations were closely monitoring the Scottish National Party’s plan to introduce a minimum charge – possibly 45-50 pence per unit of alcohol – that is expected to be enacted by early summer.

“We are committed in principle to the introduction of a minimum pricing regime . . . and we would be hopeful of doing that in both jurisdictions before the end of this year.”

Mr Poots, the North’s Minister for Health, said he would be co-operating with Dr Reilly and Ms Shortall to try to co-ordinate the introduction of the proposed new measures.

“We want to make sure we don’t have a disparity where alcohol is one price north of the Border and considerably more expensive south of the Border, or vice versa,” he said.

“So, it is important there is not a big time lapse between legislation being introduced in one jurisdiction, or indeed the other.”

At present in Northern Ireland, Mr Poots added, people could buy a bottle of cider with 14 units of alcohol for £2.30 (€2.75). Increasing the minimum price to 50p per unit would bring the price up to £7.

Dr Reilly said Ministers were not seeking to impose a “Nanny State” but to deal with alcohol misuse.

Figures cited by Dr Reilly and Mr Poots put the yearly cost of alcohol abuse on the island at about €4.7 billion in terms of healthcare, crime and loss of economic output – as well as the human cost of the lives of several hundred people annually.

Speakers including the Ministers; Prof Sir Ian Gilmour, chairman of the UK Alcohol Health Alliance; Denis Bradley, former deputy chairman of the North’s policing board, who is professionally involved in treating drink and alcohol abuse; and Irish Times columnist John Waters, all agreed that imposing a minimum price per unit of alcohol would be an important weapon in tackling abuse.

“In the UK the calculations are that a 50p minimum price (per unit of alcohol) would save 3,400 deaths a year, 100,000 hospital admissions, 45,000 crimes and about £50 billion savings over 10 years,” said Prof Gilmour.
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:18am
Alcohol to hit the black market again?

I'm going to start making my own vodka
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
Is it going to cut/change anyone's drinking habits for the better? 

Main effect will be that people drink longer at home in an "uncontrolled environment" before hitting the club/pub = Negative effect. Thats what Id be doing anyway. Nobody's going to start drinking less FFS
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Is it going to cut/change anyone's drinking habits for the better? 

Main effect will be that people drink longer at home in an "uncontrolled environment" before hitting the club/pub = Negative effect. Thats what Id be doing anyway. Nobody's going to start drinking less FFS
Wont make any difference to drinking habits,thats for sure
they are a clueless bunch of fuking wan kers
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:17pm
Has anyone ever tried making their own alcohol?

Supposed to be pretty easy?
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

was a home brew thread about 3 weeks ago Max,few on here have tried it
takes a few goes id say,cos my first and only attempt was poisonDead
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:26pm

Flatmate has 43 bottles of beer on the go at the moment, i'll tell you in 3 weeks whether they are poisonous or notLOL
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Ministers for Health James Reilly and Edwin Poots and Minister of State for Health Róisín Shortall

jaysis no one quite knows how to spoil your fun like FG , labour and the DUP Angry
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:51pm

Haha, good timing this, ordered a homebrew kit today! Will let you know how it goes. If i suddenly stop posting, assume it went bad Thumbs Up
@AntrimMan85
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:42pm

What an absolute joke. I'd buy 24 bottles of whatever Tesco have a special on about once a month, usually for around €20 or so. If they charge 50cent per unit of alcohol, that's going to be upped to €48. This pisses me off so much. What don't FG just tell the truth and say this is purely to increase revenues. The Black Market for booze will be massive after this. Also, how much would a bottle of Whiskey cost after this?

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 27 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 1:53pm
More visitors to France on the ferry. They're gonna need a bigger boat and I'm gonna need a bigger van.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:46pm
surely they dont think this is gonna work who in their right mind is gonna pay roughly €50 in tesco for a box of 2o bottles of beer all they are gonna do is drive more people to the black market for their booze as well as their fags must say fg have done a great job so far in power edna on today saying its the irish peoples fault that the countries in the mess it is Angry
MintBerryCrunch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MintBerryCrunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:50pm
Angry
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 3:08pm
Charlie chawke and his cronies have more than likely greased a few palms to make this happen
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:06pm
What a bunch of complete and utter c**ts. £7 for a bottle of cider?? Would yiz ever f*ck off!! I'm beginning to hate this country more and more each day and it kills me.  
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:21pm
What i'm worried about is a blanket rise in prices. OK, i get the idea (however flawed it is) behind getting rid of dirt cheap drink and below cost alcohol sales in supermarkets e.g, a 2 ltr bottle of strong cider containing maybe 15-20 units for £2 odd. Horrible stuff but anyway.

I'd be a big fan of so called premium ales and imported beers costing in a supermarket say £2.30 for one 500ml bottle - Easily above the 50p per unit proposal. My fear is that prices will rise on these kind of products as well despite not really being the target (supposedly) of the legislation.
@AntrimMan85
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 4:37pm
Time to start stocking up so
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 5:52pm
Should have just introduced a ban on below cost selling in my view. Hard to argue in favour of below cost selling of a mind altering product.

I wonder have they worked out the elasticity of this. I wonder the economic analysis of this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic