FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Browne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Serie A side Salernitana, who are managed by Filippo Inzaghi, are in talks with Preston over a deal for Alan Browne. Probably end up on loan at Falkirk.

Football wise he'd probably be better off where he is than going to the bottom club in Serie A
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 1:27pm
Serie A side Salernitana, who are managed by Filippo Inzaghi, are in talks with Preston over a deal for Alan Browne. Probably end up on loan at Falkirk.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 9:05pm
First names on big Sam's teamsheet.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 9:01pm
Goal tonight for Brownie along with Will Keane.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

And Moran hits the crossbar with a whopper. Almost topped Browne there
Absolutely!!!  That would have been a candidate for goal of the year.  I've been very impressed with Moran.  Very busy, always looking to move the ball forward, and has had a handful of incisive passes that have led to scoring opportunities.  Nice player.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:46pm
And Moran hits the crossbar with a whopper. Almost topped Browne there
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:43pm
Put a green shirt on him and he'd have taken out the nearest plane with the same shot!!
I love beer gardens
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:41pm
Against the run of play, Alan Browne with a sublime first touch, and a superb finish.  What a goal!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:39pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 8:37pm
Some goal from Browne there. Puts Preston 1 up against Blackburn 

Edited by doherty - 10 Nov 2023 at 8:38pm
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:05pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Makes the EFL Championship Team of Midweek

If ever a post summed up how sh*te we are it's this. 

Whoope-dooooo we've a mid week player of the week in a 2nd tier league. 

Helpful.

Indeed, sad and all as it may be (and tbf there were a full round of Championship fixtures this midweek), it is noteworthy when we have a midfielder perform to this level. I was merely pointing out the achievement such as it is.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The tapping the ball back and over in midfield is a tactical decision though. It's trying to play a game that doesn't suit our players. No combination of midfielders we have available to us will make that approach work. 

When we hammered Scotland last year in Kenny's only genuinely good performance/result we played Cullen/Molumby/Knight but played a bit more direct and got the best out of them as a unit. I think it probably happened because of the derby nature of the game rather than any tactical decision on the day, but the template was there for all to see and to be followed afterwards, but it wasn't.

Here's Knight just this week moving the ball forward in a team that encourages him to do it. 

In the Ireland setup that's probably classed as a long ball and he's likely being told to keep it short, back infield to Molumby or Cullen is where that would be going. Which is part of the reason why we are where we are.

As I said I'm well aware of what Knight is capable of, and yes that was a good pass. Passing through the lines is not his game though. The last para is rubbish btw, Kenny doesnt tell players not to try that pass, it was on, Sykes has got half the pitch free in front of him to run into ffs. 

It still doesnt make Knight the type of midfielder who tries to progress the ball through midfield with sharp passing, that is not his game, I dont want it to be his game, I'm not criticising him for it, I'm happy to have a midfielder with his qualities, I just dont want another one with similar (albeit more limited) qualities beside him.

In any case, I'm looking toward the future and hopefully an evolution towards a 4-3-3. I'm happy with Cullen as the 6, the question then is who are the two 8s. For me Knight is one, but I dont want Molumby as the other, I just think it's too one dimensional, I'd prefer Smallbone as the other 8, even Browne. 

Likewise, if we look to play a 4-2-3-1 I'd prefer to see Cullen and Knight as the 2 with Molumby as back up and Moran/Smallbone/Azaz as the 10.

If we stick with 5 at the back, then having Cullen, Molumby and Knight as the 3 in front of the 5 really gives the team a very defensive, uncreative look. We have actually used 4 in a box midfield ahead of the 5 in this campaign vs France /Holland with Molumby and Cullen at the base and Ogbene and Knight at the top. This was actually a reasonable tactical approach for those particular games but ultimately very limiting.

Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 12:00pm

The tapping the ball back and over in midfield is a tactical decision though. It's trying to play a game that doesn't suit our players. No combination of midfielders we have available to us will make that approach work. 

When we hammered Scotland last year in Kenny's only genuinely good performance/result we played Cullen/Molumby/Knight but played a bit more direct and got the best out of them as a unit. I think it probably happened because of the derby nature of the game rather than any tactical decision on the day, but the template was there for all to see and to be followed afterwards, but it wasn't.

Here's Knight just this week moving the ball forward in a team that encourages him to do it. 

In the Ireland setup that's probably classed as a long ball and he's likely being told to keep it short, back infield to Molumby or Cullen is where that would be going. Which is part of the reason why we are where we are.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:47am

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

For John, Hendrick and Smallbone can do little wrong, Molumby can do little right. 

Never mentioned Hendrick in the context of this discussion, but yes I regularly defend him in light of the nonsense abuse he has to deal with on here, but in particular on social media. He remains a first team Championship player and therefore remains a realistic squad option in a position where we are light on options. I havent advocated for his selection ahead of Molumby.

Smallbone's ceiling is much higher than Molumby's in my opinion, but regardless, he is a different type of midfielder. Much of my problem with Molumby is not so much him, but the balance of a midfield that contains him, Cullen and Knight. There's plenty of legs there, but very little creativity. I'd prefer a midfield 3 that comprised only 2 of them with a Smallbone, Azaz or even a Browne (on current form). Molumby is good cover for Cullen and/or Knight. 

Knight is creative when he's played in a role that allows him to be creative. Being used as a workhorse by Derby has led to a lot of people (like John here) mistakenly believing that he isn't.

In Ireland's first choice midfield Cullen is the sitter who can start a play with some useful passing, Molumby is your box to box workhorse and Knight can offer creativity as well as putting in a shift as a second workhorse off the ball. Smallbone is then maybe the first pick off the bench and is a good option to have as he can do all three roles - a sitter, a workhorse or a creative type. He doesn't do any of the three roles as well as the starter in that position though, so he usually doesn't make the starting team. Browne is also a useful option and is in good form.

Look, you can argue about the overall quality of our midfield and be justified in doing so. The five midfielders listed above have only played about 25 top flight games between them and we are often outplayed by other teams with better midfielders. But the balance of the midfield is actually fine and Molumby is in there on merit.

I disagree! SmileI dont like the balance between Cullen, Molumby and Knight at all and I dont mistakenly think anything about Knight, but thanks for the condescension. Knight can certainly affect games positively, much more so than Molumby and I like Knight, but I still feel he doesnt contribute as much as he might in the attacking third, and ultimately he is a runner, similar to Molumby, but pacier, more positive and better disciplined - Ultimately, none of the three are good at advancing the ball through the lines consistently. As a result, the ball gets played into our midfield passed around laterally and ultimately back to our defenders or to the opposition. We need a midfielder who can link midfield and attack, Smallbone is a player who can do that (whether he is good enough is another question, but he is the right type). It is not Knight's game and it is certainly not either Molumby or Cullen's. If we had very good wing backs who could carry the ball forward at pace that would help, but we dont (bar a fully match fit Doherty which may never happen again).
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:42am

For John, Hendrick and Smallbone can do little wrong, Molumby can do little right. 

Never mentioned Hendrick in the context of this discussion, but yes I regularly defend him in light of the nonsense abuse he has to deal with on here, but in particular on social media. He remains a first team Championship player and therefore remains a realistic squad option in a position where we are light on options. I havent advocated for his selection ahead of Molumby.

Smallbone's ceiling is much higher than Molumby's in my opinion, but regardless, he is a different type of midfielder. Much of my problem with Molumby is not so much him, but the balance of a midfield that contains him, Cullen and Knight. There's plenty of legs there, but very little creativity. I'd prefer a midfield 3 that comprised only 2 of them with a Smallbone, Azaz or even a Browne (on current form). Molumby is good cover for Cullen and/or Knight. 

Knight is creative when he's played in a role that allows him to be creative. Being used as a workhorse by Derby has led to a lot of people (like John here) mistakenly believing that he isn't.

In Ireland's first choice midfield Cullen is the sitter who can start a play with some useful passing, Molumby is your box to box workhorse and Knight can offer creativity as well as putting in a shift as a second workhorse off the ball. Smallbone is then maybe the first pick off the bench and is a good option to have as he can do all three roles - a sitter, a workhorse or a creative type. He doesn't do any of the three roles as well as the starter in that position though, so he usually doesn't make the starting team. Browne is also a useful option and is in good form.

Look, you can argue about the overall quality of our midfield and be justified in doing so. The five midfielders listed above have only played about 25 top flight games between them and we are often outplayed by other teams with better midfielders. But the balance of the midfield is actually fine and Molumby is in there on merit.
Good post, can't argue with any of that.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:06am

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Sep 2023 at 11:07am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 10:53am

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic