You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airbnb Scams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:15pm
Do you not believe in online news as it threatens newspapers? Newspapers have had to adapt to survive, not the same threat to hotels at all but they'll have to adapt instead of just blaming airbnb and those who use it
Sponsored Links

Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:25pm
Don't worry I fully believe that the hotel and tourism industry will get through this period of private individuals who are si ply on the make.

What happened in Barcelona is an excellent example and hosts who are required to get registered, pay tax and insurance and run a real business will become a justifiable entity

those who throw out a couple of candles and pot puri won't be assed and will stop renting out bedrooms.

As I said before its a fad and like all fads will die.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 7:42pm
People want value for money. The prices for some of the hotels are extortionate.

Have a look at the hotel prices in Bordeaux or Lille.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 8:10pm
AirBnB is great for the consumer ,gives more choice and helps prevent hotels having the huge pricing power they had in the past.The hotels who adapt will survive just like when the online booking sites helped customers get better value by playing hotels/firms off each other.

AirBnB is no fad and its actually a good thing that there is more accountability now than when it started.It will continue to grow as more people come to thrust and recognize it as a legitimate way of booking accommodation.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Ehhh the traditional hotel owner will pay tax and employ people. That's very important for the economy particularly on places like Donegal and Kerry.

I would hazard a guess you are urban and university educated. Fair enough if you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom to save a tenner.

Selfish comment.

You do chat some amount of sh*te. I'm from donegal and would happily sleep in someone's spare bed than pay the prices some hotels up here think they can charge

The only thing air b&b will do to the hotel industry in places like Donegal and killarney is provide them with some competition which should bring the prices down which will benefit the public
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:26pm
What do you think of minimum alcohol pricing, Fintan? Or price fixing? Or free market economics? Healthy competition? Protect the hotel owners, my arse.
I was quoted €200 for a triple room in Lille with a shared bathroom in a f**king hostel for one night. Do I as a customer not have the right to say "No, thanks" and look elsewhere.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:40pm
Fintan what are you on about?!

Hotels have ripped people off for years and now cry when someone offers the public a more affordable alternative?
Why should the hotel industry be protected from competition?! If you can't provide a service for a reasonable price you will be priced out of the market and deservedly so! I've zero sympathy for hotels. They are only too happy to charge ridiculously over the odds fees when an event is on in the locality e.g. concerts, matches etc...
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 10:22pm

Don't worry I fully believe that the hotel and tourism industry will get through this period of private individuals who are si ply on the make.

What happened in Barcelona is an excellent example and hosts who are required to get registered, pay tax and insurance and run a real business will become a justifiable entity

those who throw out a couple of candles and pot puri won't be assed and will stop renting out bedrooms.

As I said before its a fad and like all fads will die.

Am i still a fad if i pay tax on my property ?
There is a tax option included in all Airbnb host applications, not everyone refuses to pay tax on what they earn, you have "no right " tar every one with the same brush.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 1:10pm
Down with urban university educated types !
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 5:20pm
I think Trapjnr booked through ScareBnB.

Run for the hills TJ, run
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 6:59pm
Wow!
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:26am
I use sites like AIRBNB and VRBO regularly and generally find them very satisfactory.  I also use booking.com for hotel bookings and I was shocked to learn recently just how manipulative and anti competitive that site is.  Apparently the prominence of a hotel's listing on booking.con is determined by the rate of commission the hotel pays to them.  When signing up the hotel decides how much commission to pay starting at a minimum 15% and going up to 35% and the higher they go the more prominently their hotel is displayed.  Hotels are precluded from selling direct to the public at prices below the booking.con rates and booking.con regularly make test calls to hotels to see if they are breaking the rules.  So next time you pay €100 to a booking.con hotel be aware that the hotel may only be getting 65% of what you are paying.  
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:35am
Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

I use sites like AIRBNB and VRBO regularly and generally find them very
satisfactory.  I also use booking.com for hotel bookings and I was
shocked to learn recently just how manipulative and anti competitive
that site is.  Apparently the prominence of a hotel's listing on
booking.con is determined by the rate of commission the hotel pays to
them.  When signing up the hotel decides how much commission to pay
starting at a minimum 15% and going up to 35% and the higher they go the
more prominently their hotel is displayed.  Hotels are precluded from
selling direct to the public at prices below the booking.con rates and
booking.con regularly make test calls to hotels to see if they are
breaking the rules.  So next time you pay €100 to a booking.con hotel be
aware that the hotel may only be getting 65% of what you are paying.  
jaysus!...although they are head and shoulders better than hotels.con where its a nightmare trying to get a deposit back from a 'free cancellation' hotel booking. I've been emailing back and forth for the past two months trying to get €520 back. at least with booking.con it took one phone call and money was back on my card in 24 hours.

Edited by colemanY2K - 05 Jan 2016 at 8:06am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:13am
[QUOTE=Salzburglilly] Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.
[/QUOTE

DAY 5......of the witch hunt and abuse for having a ddifferent opinion and outlook to tthe great and good of YBIG. Nice. Great bunch of lads altogether.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:30am
LOL
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

jaysus!...although they are head and shoulders better than hotels.con where its a nightmare trying to get a deposit back from a 'free cancellation' hotel booking. I've been emailing back and forth for the past two months trying to get €520 back. at least with booking.con it took one phone call and money was back on my card in 24 hours.

As far as I know booking.con doesn't generally take deposits on free cancellation bookings.  In fact as far as I know they never take any money direct from the customer.  You pay the hotel in full and booking.con sends the hotel an invoice for it's commission.  This way you, the customer, never find out that booking.con is ripping you off by taking up to 35% of what you pay.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:17am

[QUOTE=Salzburglilly] Fintan clearly owns one of those hotels.
[/QUOTE

DAY 5......of the witch hunt and abuse for having a ddifferent opinion and outlook to tthe great and good of YBIG. Nice. Great bunch of lads altogether.

Ever so slightly over dramatic
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic