You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Aiden McGeady
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Aiden McGeady

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213>
Author
Message
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 31 May 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 1071
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

I really don't know how age is an issue how many players like him keep playing on till late 30s mcgeady has grown up in a culture of sports science from a young age obviously still loves the game.
What age is the cut off point?
Should Coleman have been in the squad if he might not be here in 2024
For that last international break mcgeady would have been a good option off the bench in all 3 games if he wanted results 
You can't argue otherwise in terms of getting results 
He probably won't be in as good as form for international window but if he is select him

yes but if were ever going to move on we have to leave some players behind. i like McGeady, personally i always thought he played well for us but but if we want to look to the future you have to take into account he is 35 and plays in L1. yes i know we have to now consider players from these leagues but you would hope they are younger players on the way up in their career not winding down. how will we progress if we don't plough on with the youth. Also someone mentioned Coleman, he is capt of a Pl team. bit different.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 30736
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:13pm
Pandev scored the winner against Germany away from home and he's nearly 38!

The younger players are just not good enough (at least not yet anyway). 

If Kenny is building a team then why is he including all these 30+ players? - Long 34, McClean 32, Coleman 32 and Clark 31.


     
Back to Top
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2019
Location: wexford
Status: Offline
Points: 298
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

I really don't know how age is an issue how many players like him keep playing on till late 30s mcgeady has grown up in a culture of sports science from a young age obviously still loves the game.
What age is the cut off point?
Should Coleman have been in the squad if he might not be here in 2024
For that last international break mcgeady would have been a good option off the bench in all 3 games if he wanted results 
You can't argue otherwise in terms of getting results 
He probably won't be in as good as form for international window but if he is select him

yes but if were ever going to move on we have to leave some players behind. i like McGeady, personally i always thought he played well for us but but if we want to look to the future you have to take into account he is 35 and plays in L1. yes i know we have to now consider players from these leagues but you would hope they are younger players on the way up in their career not winding down. how will we progress if we don't plough on with the youth. Also someone mentioned Coleman, he is capt of a Pl team. bit different.
Because he didn't play the start of the year he is so much sharper than anyone else leading to this form. Doubt he will be in this kind of form again so use him when he is playing to this standard. We brought on Parrott vs Luxembourg poor young lad really struggling at the moment and just throwing him on to see if he will sink or swim won't work either
Back to Top
Jimbhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan
Avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2018
Location: Bromley
Status: Offline
Points: 51
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:17pm
Aiden McGeady has always been a better footballer than the likes of McClean, Horgan, Curtis, O'Dowda and Maguire and this is still the case even though he is now 35. None of them have ever played in the Champions league or for a club as big as Everton or the Celtic teams he played for. Despite being frustrating at times I'm certain that if you look at the stats from the Trap and O'Neill era McGeady would have been the player with the most assists and one of the very few players capable of creating anything. Similar to James McCarthy he seems to suffer from not living up to our expectations but this maybe due to the fact that they are not Irish born. McCarthy is by some considerable distance our best holding midfielder over the last few years and has played in most of our significant big performances. 
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Offline
Points: 44487
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

I really don't know how age is an issue how many players like him keep playing on till late 30s mcgeady has grown up in a culture of sports science from a young age obviously still loves the game.
What age is the cut off point?
Should Coleman have been in the squad if he might not be here in 2024
For that last international break mcgeady would have been a good option off the bench in all 3 games if he wanted results 
You can't argue otherwise in terms of getting results 
He probably won't be in as good as form for international window but if he is select him

yes but if were ever going to move on we have to leave some players behind. i like McGeady, personally i always thought he played well for us but but if we want to look to the future you have to take into account he is 35 and plays in L1. yes i know we have to now consider players from these leagues but you would hope they are younger players on the way up in their career not winding down. how will we progress if we don't plough on with the youth. Also someone mentioned Coleman, he is capt of a Pl team. bit different.
That's exactly it. Coleman is also clearly an excellent leader and personality and still playing at a decent level. Goran Pandev is a god in Macedonia and probably the greatest football to come from there, before or after their independence, including Darko Pancev. He is also still playing in Serie A.

Wanting to have some experienced heads in the squad and team is one think, picking 35 year olds in the third tier of English football is another. The similarities are there with the Welsh team that Toshack took so much criticism for, but that side learned a lot in defeat and grew into an excellent side. We probably won't produce a Gareth Bale, but if we don't try and make similar strides we will be still battling to finish fourth in groups in ten years time and hoping for a sugar daddy to give us a manager who, for 10 million a year, allowing for inflation, might get us to a play-off.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 1822
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:31am
we have nobody that can create a chance,a killer pass etc....he has that ability and is one of two that I can only think of that is currently available to us that can do that (j.Byrne the other)....for that alone he should be in the squads.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Back to Top
oldbilly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 2044
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
wouldn’t be worried by mcgeadys age stall, more by the fact in his previous time in the squad he did precisely f**k all, headless chicken personified.
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 30736
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:55am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

wouldn’t be worried by mcgeadys age stall, more by the fact in his previous time in the squad he did precisely f**k all, headless chicken personified.

Have you ever made a positive comment about anything?
     
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

wouldn’t be worried by mcgeadys age stall, more by the fact in his previous time in the squad he did precisely f**k all, headless chicken personified.



Back to Top
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:53am
How many years ago was that?

Hasn't been capped in about 4 years and did very little in the 4 years before that. Is he a better player now than he was 8 years ago?

Another example on here of players becoming superstars when not selected.
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:02pm
is our squad better now than it was 8 years ago, or even 5 years ago? More an example of the decline in the quality of our squad in the last five years than anything I'd say. If we still had the players we wouldn't even consider a 35 year old McGeady. Sadly we don't at the moment.

With the exception of the likes of the two Keanes and only a handful more you can break almost any recent Irish international's career down into one or two key moments at best. McGeady is no different than others in that regard, he has had a few great moments and been ok the rest of the time. Is his Ireland career that different to Shane Long's for example? How much of Long's career outside of "that goal" will we remember in 10 years time? But McGeady, like a lot of the non Irish born players, gets a harder time of it - the bar always seems to be higher for them.
Back to Top
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
That's two posters mentioning it's harder for the non Ireland born players . Never noticed that myself, James McCarthy was mentioned as an example. Considering the number of injuries he has had and also withdrawals from squads he is a poor example to use. 

Don't forget McGeady is one of the highest capped players for Ireland. 

Maybe Harry Arter is a good example. I hadn't really thought about it so open to correction on this topic
It would damage this forums' reputation
Back to Top
amccarten313 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la


Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 723
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:53pm
I really see both sides of the debate. On the one hand, Mcgeady is 35 and playing in League one, including him would obviously be a very short-term fix. This also takes a spot away from a younger player who can theoretically develop and contribute more over the next few years. The other side of it is that right now, Mcgeady is playing out of his skin the last few months, and we already call up players from League one anyway. He brings something different that we maybe lack right now- in a scenario where its the last 20 mins and we're chasing a goal/trying to unlock a defence (lets hope this actually happens soon), is Mcgeady a worse option than lets say curtis, horgan, sean maguire, etc? I think it shows the goodwill that isn't given when you aren't getting results, as Kenny clearly hasn't (I like and support him by the way). If we weren't on this awful run it is probably not an issue, but since we are struggling, his exclusion gets magnified given the amount of injuries, withdrawals, etc we have had
Back to Top
Het-field View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton


Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 7044
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

That's two posters mentioning it's harder for the non Ireland born players . Never noticed that myself, James McCarthy was mentioned as an example. Considering the number of injuries he has had and also withdrawals from squads he is a poor example to use. 

Don't forget McGeady is one of the highest capped players for Ireland. 

Maybe Harry Arter is a good example. I hadn't really thought about it so open to correction on this topic

I think some fans are not as open to players who perhaps take their time in declaring, and perhaps dawdle a bit before agreeing. Often times, it happens when there is an outside possibility of an England call up. I suspect if Patrick Bamford was to declare tomorrow for us the split would be 50/50. Scott Hogan undoubtedly suffered a bit from this.

I would never have seen it like that for McGeady, Kilbane etc. Declared early, maintained their allegiance, and never missed a game when available and picked.
Back to Top
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Born n bred in darndale.

Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 30736
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

I really see both sides of the debate. On the one hand, Mcgeady is 35 and playing in League one, including him would obviously be a very short-term fix. This also takes a spot away from a younger player who can theoretically develop and contribute more over the next few years. The other side of it is that right now, Mcgeady is playing out of his skin the last few months, and we already call up players from League one anyway. He brings something different that we maybe lack right now- in a scenario where its the last 20 mins and we're chasing a goal/trying to unlock a defence (lets hope this actually happens soon), is Mcgeady a worse option than lets say curtis, horgan, sean maguire, etc? I think it shows the goodwill that isn't given when you aren't getting results, as Kenny clearly hasn't (I like and support him by the way). If we weren't on this awful run it is probably not an issue, but since we are struggling, his exclusion gets magnified given the amount of injuries, withdrawals, etc we have had

If McGeady was included it would have been at the expense of Curtis (25) or Horgan (28) and yes it would have been a short term fix. Both players are not the long term solution either.

He probably would only have only played 15 to 20 mins in each of those games at most.


     
Back to Top
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan


Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:58pm
But that might have been enough time for him to create a chance that gets us a point against Luxembourg, for example. Which might have eased the pressure on Kenny at least a little bit. Particularly when we were down one set piece taker in Hourihane and with the other notoriously injury prone (Brady), it would seem to have been a pragmatic decision to call up McGeady. A distinct lack of pragmatism at times is an issue for Kenny though I fear.
Back to Top
Liam Green View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane


Joined: 27 Aug 2018
Location: Portumna
Status: Offline
Points: 417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:16pm
I think it’s a really bad idea for a nation like Ireland to be leaving out a player if it’s based on age . I don’t see Northern Ireland leaving out Steven Davis and giving a young guy his place . If your playing well you should be rightly considered and SK has made a mistake on this I feel.  Mcgeady potentially has something that Horgan and Curtis etc will never have that can turn a game especially like the Luxembourg tie. 
Back to Top
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 2713
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

is our squad better now than it was 8 years ago, or even 5 years ago?

Squad? No, but our other options on the wing were the likes of Stephen Hunt, Liam Lawrence and Simon Cox, so Horgan and Curtis aside, I believe we are as strong/weak on the flanks. Whilst McGeady might have a moment of magic in him that Curtis or Horgan don't, neither of them featured in the qualifiers so it is a moot point.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.