Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 220>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:37pm
I'm mistaken, as is Deise.

McGeady has one assist pre-2008; versus Cyrus in 2006.

He has 11 post-2008;
1 versus Georgia in 2008
1 versus Russia in 2010
1 versus Andorra in 2010
1 versus Armenia in 2011
1 versus Estonia in 2011
1 versus Bosnia in 2012
1 versus Croatia in 2012
2 versus the Faroe Islands in 2012
1 versus the Faroe Islands in 2013
1 versus Gibralter in 2014
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by black pearl black pearl wrote:

Duff was fantastic for Ireland even when his club career was flagging he still excelled for us

Absolutely, and some of his contributions were invaluable in key games in Korea and Japan, Cyprus 09', Paris to name a few. In contrast, I couldn't recall a vital assist McGeady had off the top of my head and O Shea's list explains why. Barring Armenia, there was no match he got an assist that actually earned us points.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:31pm
What a way to try and discredit a player .

Any assist is a contribution to a result ffs.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

So basically what you've illustrated is that the next "leading assister" that we've have in the last 10/15 years only has half as many assists as McGeady. Well done, you've really buttressed your argument tremendously there LOL

Certainly an interesting interpretation there. My argument, and I've been consistent in this, is that McGeady has done fcuk all for us since scoring the 2 goals V Georgia 4 years ago. he has obtained 29 of his 92 caps since then, and I think that 29 games in 4 years, whether a sub or not, is a decent level of time & games to determine whether any player has been effective for us or not, as I said in reply to RB, I doubt O'Dowda will get anywhere near 29 appearances in 4 years producing similar performances & stats. 

McGeady's fans cling to this 'assists' thing like drowning men to a lifebuoy, and there was certainly some merit in that argument up to 2013/2014 (his Ireland performances started dipping in 2012 in truth, bar scoring V Latvia & Georgia since then)- I don't think this is particularly relevant here in 2018 when those same lads are still insisting he has something to offer us. 

Look at the stats again from 2013 onwards since McGeady got his last assist in 2013;
McGeady- 1 assist
Wes (retired) 6 assists (also 3 goals)
Coleman 5 assists (a fullback, doesn't take set pieces nor allowed cross the HW line under Trap)
Robbie Brady- 4 assists
James McClean  2 assists (but also 10 goals)
Stephen Ward- 2 assists (another fullback not renowned for attacking play)
Jon Walters - 2 assists
Shane Long - 2 assists

So basically McGeady has been outshone in an attacking sense, in that defined period of time, by the other 2 main wingers playing at the time, McClean and Brady, while also being less effective than Coleman (no disgrace there to be fair, he's our best player) and a limited lad like Wardy, who are defenders. 

It's a lesser version of the Robbie Keane argument when he was coming to the end of his career, after he scored V the Kazachs in a qualifier in Oct 2013, in the next 3 years, he was mainly ineffective, and only managed to score V Latvia, Gibraltar & Oman after that. Lads had the same argument then, he had scored 60 goals for us in the past, he should be playing/still has something to offer, but it really wasn't the case, the only things that kept Robbie there as long were his own determination and the fact we hadn't, and still don't have, anyone remotely like him or able to do what he was capable of. 

That isn't the case with McGeady whatsoever, we have McClean, Brady, O'Dowda (I'll leave Hayes out, with due respect to Hayes, Aiden isn't that bad) and if MON had any brains at all, he would be trying Doherty on the right wing as well, seeing as he is so effective as a wing back for Wolves, or even Christie, who is probably a better attacker than defender in any case. 

I dunno has this argument got confused somewhat, I'm not arguing whatsoever with McGeady's overall contribution to Ireland, which is reasonably decent overall, but 12 assists over that amount of caps isn't really all that spectacular, and could easily be surpassed by the likes of Brady by the time he finishes up. I'd doubt whether 12 is the most assists any Irish player ever got either, I'd have thought Harte might have something similar, and Stan almost certainly. Nobody is saying those 2 lads should still be playing for us though. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

True. More to my point, when McGeady does retire, most except a couple of lads on here will look back on his career as bang average barring a couple of standout performances against Bosnia at home in a friendly and Georgia away.

In contrast, when you look back on Duff's career you have the WC 2002, Paris '09. Hunty you have Bari '09. Brady Italy 2016. Hoolahan Sweden 2016. These were all big game players. McGeady never reached the heights in the big matches and therefore won't be remembered as fondly. Unfortunate for him and us but true.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:40am
I don't think there's any real comparison to be made between Duff and McGeady's Ireland careers.

While Duff's scoring / assisting record wasn't great, he offered so much more in possession and regularly won clever free kicks in dangerous positions. 

In his height, Duff was a world-class player, and while his peak didn't last as long as we'd of liked, he was a far more influential player for us than McGeady ever was. 

McGeady had incredible potential in his early Celtic / Spartak days, but he was so frustrating to watch as we all knew how skilful he was, but his decision making let him down so often.

Robbie Brady is probably a better example of a player who we could compare with McGeady. Similarly, Robbie had a lot of potential as a youngster, and while he hasn't quite lived up to his promise, he's generally been a solid performer for us, while still taking a fair bit of stick in recent times. 

Brady, who is only 26, has already scored seven goals (two more than McGeady), in less than half the amount of appearances. 

I'm not too sure how many assists Robbie has, but I'd be willing to bet that by the time he retires for Ireland (Which could potentially be in 9-10 years), he'll have far more goals / assists than both McGeady and Duff. 

When you factor in that Brady has played at left-back in half of his Irish appearances, and has already scored in a Euro-play offs, and scored against both Italy and France, it's probably fair enough to say that he has already surpassed Aiden McGeady in terms of his Ireland career.  

There's also a point to be made that McGeady and Duff both played in stronger Ireland teams than Brady, and it was therefore easier for them to impress. 

Edited by Maccatacca - 29 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:45am
Brady is a free kick and peno taker so will have more goals, he has also played in numerous positions higher up the field too.

Ian Harte has 12 goals! - again, probably all from frees and penos.

Brady is player living off his goal against Italy. Brady is great talent and has too under performed.

Another thing to consider is how many players are under performing under O'Neill?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:53am

Brady is a free kick and peno taker so will have more goals, he has also played in numerous positions higher up the field too.

Brady is player living off his goal against Italy. Brady is great talent and has too under performed.

Another thing to consider is how many players are under performing under O'Neill?

As poor as Brady's performances have been, I still wouldn't be surprised to see him finish up with 12-15 odd goals, and a similar number of assists. 

He's scored a decent amount from open play to be fair to him, and he's not exactly the nailed down penalty taker. 

Not to keep on bashing O'Neill, as he isn't responsible for all of our players who are under performing, but if Brady was just played on the left-wing which is his natural position, I'd be pretty confident that we'd see a sudden change in form.

He was nominated for Premier League player of the month right after the Denmark game, so clearly the talent is still there.

Get Robbie playing in the right position and he'll likely succeed both Duff and McGeady's records.  

Neither McGeady or Duff have found themselves playing out of position quite as regularly as Brady has. I think he still has the potential to be our best player of this generation.  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

True. More to my point, when McGeady does retire, most except a couple of lads on here will look back on his career as bang average barring a couple of standout performances against Bosnia at home in a friendly and Georgia away.

In contrast, when you look back on Duff's career you have the WC 2002, Paris '09. Hunty you have Bari '09. Brady Italy 2016. Hoolahan Sweden 2016. These were all big game players. McGeady never reached the heights in the big matches and therefore won't be remembered as fondly. Unfortunate for him and us but true.

You are insinuating that he only played well in 2 games which is disingenuous.
Other than that I wouldn't disagree with a lot of that.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

As poor as Brady's performances have been, I still wouldn't be surprised to see him finish up with 12-15 odd goals, and a similar number of assists. 

He's scored a decent amount from open play to be fair to him, and he's not exactly the nailed down penalty taker. 

Not to keep on bashing O'Neill, as he isn't responsible for all of our players who are under performing, but if Brady was just played on the left-wing which is his natural position, I'd be pretty confident that we'd see a sudden change in form.

He was nominated for Premier League player of the month right after the Denmark game, so clearly the talent is still there.

Get Robbie playing in the right position and he'll likely succeed both Duff and McGeady's records.  

Neither McGeady or Duff have found themselves playing out of position quite as regularly as Brady has. I think he still has the potential to be our best player of this generation.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brady finish with close to 20 goals to be honest.

He is a quality player and it's up to the manager to try and get the best out of him.

There is more goals in him, and he is a much more rounded player.

It's no surprise to see Brady and others putting in a lot of under whelming performances over the last 2 years.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:05am
Duff world class? f**king hell!!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Duff world class? f**king hell!!!!

Named in the PFA team of the year in 2000-01, and the UEFA team of the year for 2002, alongside ten other world class players.

Duff was for at least 2-3 years of his career, a world class player. 

Unfortunately he peaked very early. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I don't think there's any real comparison to be made between Duff and McGeady's Ireland careers.

While Duff's scoring / assisting record wasn't great, he offered so much more in possession and regularly won clever free kicks in dangerous positions. 

In his height, Duff was a world-class player, and while his peak didn't last as long as we'd of liked, he was a far more influential player for us than McGeady ever was. 

McGeady had incredible potential in his early Celtic / Spartak days, but he was so frustrating to watch as we all knew how skilful he was, but his decision making let him down so often.

Robbie Brady is probably a better example of a player who we could compare with McGeady. Similarly, Robbie had a lot of potential as a youngster, and while he hasn't quite lived up to his promise, he's generally been a solid performer for us, while still taking a fair bit of stick in recent times. 

Brady, who is only 26, has already scored seven goals (two more than McGeady), in less than half the amount of appearances. 

I'm not too sure how many assists Robbie has, but I'd be willing to bet that by the time he retires for Ireland (Which could potentially be in 9-10 years), he'll have far more goals / assists than both McGeady and Duff. 

When you factor in that Brady has played at left-back in half of his Irish appearances, and has already scored in a Euro-play offs, and scored against both Italy and France, it's probably fair enough to say that he has already surpassed Aiden McGeady in terms of his Ireland career.  

There's also a point to be made that McGeady and Duff both played in stronger Ireland teams than Brady, and it was therefore easier for them to impress. 

While Duff is obviously the better player overall, I think something that is often overlooked is that McGeady was far more important to us during Trapattoni's reign than Duff was. My overriding memories of Duff from that time is that he used to win a lot of free kicks; in terms of actually taking people on and creating chances though, he did comparatively little.

McGeady was our main creative source in a team that desperately lacked any other spark, as illustrated by his superb record between 2010-12 in particular. The fact that he was our biggest threat seemed to be recognised by just about every other nation than ourselves too, because he was usually double-marked....
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:49am
Spot on.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'm mistaken, as is Deise.

McGeady has one assist pre-2008; versus Cyrus in 2006.

He has 11 post-2008;
1 versus Georgia in 2008
1 versus Russia in 2010
1 versus Andorra in 2010
1 versus Armenia in 2011
1 versus Estonia in 2011
1 versus Bosnia in 2012
1 versus Croatia in 2012
2 versus the Faroe Islands in 2012
1 versus the Faroe Islands in 2013
1 versus Gibralter in 2014

He was an extremely important player for us during the Euro 2012 campaign. Maybe the most important and he should be remembered for that.
Extremely frustrating player to watch sometimes but had that bit of magic that could win games. 

He wasn’t consistent enough which is why he didn’t make the epl premiership grade.

He is still only just turned 32! 

valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

He is still only just turned 32! 

Yeah its mad hes only gone 32, hes our 4th youngest international debutante ever behind Gary Waddock, Robbie Keane and Jimmy Holmes.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:55pm
Being linked with a transfer to Bristol City.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
and Leeds United as well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 220>
  Share Topic