Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiden McGeady

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 220>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 5:28pm
Just a response to that article.

"Eamon Dumphy who just can’t see why there is any fuss over a winger who doesn’t score goals, provide any assists and finds it difficult to beat a man, which is supposed to be his forte."
He has the most assists from any Irish player. So this is incorrect. He should be scoring more goals however.

"But McGeady has not become the player he could have been - it's time to take when you can't get a game for Sheffield Wednesday -"
He played 14 times in approx 10 weeks.

"But he did okay in Russia, no more than that"
He was named in the team of the season twice out of 3 seasons. Scoring 14 goals and 31 assists.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Just a response to that article.

"Eamon Dumphy who just can’t see why there is any fuss over a winger who doesn’t score goals, provide any assists and finds it difficult to beat a man, which is supposed to be his forte."
He has the most assists from any Irish player. So this is incorrect. He should be scoring more goals however.

"But McGeady has not become the player he could have been - it's time to take when you can't get a game for Sheffield Wednesday -"
He played 14 times in approx 10 weeks.

"But he did okay in Russia, no more than that"
He was named in the team of the season twice out of 3 seasons. Scoring 14 goals and 31 assists.

I don't think Dunphy actually watches  football or bothers to do any research.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 8:58pm
it’s unfortunate the amount of people who quote Dunphy after an Ireland match the next day . Despite his nonsense it sticks in some people’s brains . It’s spouted out by many a taxi men and plumber ..usually starting with derogatory comments on Glen Whelan and the like ...

I like Aidan , at least he has a buzz about him and may do something on the ball ..

Edited by depechemode - 26 Apr 2018 at 8:59pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:42am
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

it’s unfortunate the amount of people who quote Dunphy after an Ireland match the next day . Despite his nonsense it sticks in some people’s brains . It’s spouted out by many a taxi men and plumber ..usually starting with derogatory comments on Glen Whelan and the like ...

I like Aidan , at least he has a buzz about him and may do something on the ball ..

may being the problem.
I like McGeady but he really has done very little for us over the course of 10 years. A few assists pathetic goal return. Its time to move on.

Is there anyone you actually like?
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:15am
Alot is made of Aiden's poor goal return. His goal to games ratio is no worse than the likes of Wes and Duffer. When you look at Daryl Murphys 3 in 27 for a centre forward, its pretty terrible yet Aiden's poor goal return would get more of a mention. He would have had to lots of defensive work especially under Trap and would have come off the bench in lots of his appearances. He was arguably our best player in Euro 2012 qualification, most assists and 2 goals. He will still be a good player to bring off the bench in 2nd half of games. Yes, he can be frustrating, but so can lots of others. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:39am
His goal return is poor. No excuses.

Duff's is abysmal too considering he player center forward with better players around him too.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:45am
I agree, it should be better, but its consistent with a lot of others yet he seems to be the only one who gets stick for it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 1:32pm

may being the problem.
I like McGeady but he really has done very little for us over the course of 10 years. A few assists pathetic goal return. Its time to move on.

A few assists? Try the most assists of any Irish international, a record he's held for quite some time.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
It has been disappointing because our expectations of him have been so high. We all thought we had a genuine superstar on our hands because he was a world class talent, but that shouldn't cloud the fact that he has been a fine player for us and, to use am overused and often annoying cliché, a fine servant.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has been disappointing because our expectations of him have been so high. We all thought we had a genuine superstar on our hands because he was a world class talent, but that shouldn't cloud the fact that he has been a fine player for us and, to use am overused and often annoying cliché, a fine servant.

True.
Expectation clouds everything.

If Callum O'Dowda went on to have the Ireland career that McGeady had then we would all be talking differently

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

may being the problem.

A few assists? Try the most assists of any Irish international, a record he's held for quite some time.

He had alot of assists in the campaign that got us to Poland. But as I said his time in an Irish shirt has been mostly disappointing....Which is a shame.

I don't think 'he got us to Poland' as you say. He was part of a squad that got us to Poland.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:52pm
Well said pre madonna and Baggio and very true.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by The Rovers The Rovers wrote:

Well said pre madonna and Baggio and very true.

Plus wan.  McGeady's outwardly prickly personality probably doesn't help people's perception of him.  I was lucky enough to have a beer with him and Darren O'Dea at Dublin Airport when we came back from Poland in 2012 (they'd missed their flight to Glasgow) and McGeady was very talkative and good humoured and funny (O'Dea was half cut LOLLOL, McGeady certainly wasn't drunk).

McGeady could be and was head-wrecking but there is absolutely no doubting his quality and his amount of caps is testament that he was international class.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

True.
Expectation clouds everything.

If Callum O'Dowda went on to have the Ireland career that McGeady had then we would all be talking differently

Very Good Point +1
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 6:26pm
you know it’s been a sh*tty year pwhen the only conversation on here is an Aiden McGeady career retrospective 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:54pm
Coleman saying in his presser that McGeady has been playing with injections in his heel to get him through the games.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:40am

Coleman saying in his presser that McGeady has been playing with injections in his heel to get him through the games.
For how many years?? It might explain a lot. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 8:17am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

For how many years?? It might explain a lot. 

Probably since he got the player of the year award, the only Irish player to do so last year

Edited by horsebox - 28 Apr 2018 at 8:17am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 220>
  Share Topic