You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AFC Wimbledon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFC Wimbledon
    Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:34am

Fair play to the dons on thier promotion to the blue square premier (conference). This is thier fourth promotion in seven years - they were only created in 2002 after the disgraceful relocation of the original Wimbledon FC to Milton Keynes. They will now be playing in the same league as established clubs such as Luton, Mansfield and Oxford. I'm really gald to see the club is still going from strength to strength and wasnt just a publicity stunt, defo think they have the basis to be a football league club in the near future. Only a heartless swine would begrudge these lads thier success, fair fooks to them Clap

BTW, it was beautiful justice that this happened on the day MK Dons cocked up thier own chances of automatic promotion from League 1. Lets all hope they f**k up in the play-offs too.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
Sponsored Links

criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:00am
Totally agree with you Stiofain, AFC Wimbledon deserve all the success they achieve, a true fans' club. I can't wait for the first time they get drawn againt MK Franchise in a cup competition!
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:10am
Agree. Well done to them. These people have held onto what football is really about. They are true fans. Same with FC United in Manchester who set up their own club to break away from the money, greed and plastic fan brigade which dominates the premiership.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:13am
brillinat stuff alright , a victory for football , do they have the FA cup in thier trophy room i wnder ?
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

brillinat stuff alright , a victory for football , do they have the FA cup in thier trophy room i wnder ?

Nah they came to an arrangement with MK Franchise; the trophy and all memorabillia was given to the London Borough of Merton, neither claim to have one the FA Cup I don't think.

The support that AFC have is unreal for such a small club (when they began), sad reality of football is, that their momentum can only take them so far, League 1 I'd say, after that, money talks louder than their fans can sing...Cry
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Nah they came to an arrangement with MK Franchise; the trophy and all memorabillia was given to the London Borough of Merton, neither claim to have one the FA Cup I don't think.

we all know they are the true claimants anyway Thumbs%20Up
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:29am
I was led to believe AFC have all the trophies won by the original Wimbledon. Could of sworn i seen this on Football Focus. Could be wrong though.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:35am
I remember there being an agreement reached in order to permit MK Franchise's fans (what fans?!) into the supporters federation, they had to relinquish the 'history' of Wimbledon FC, hence they have MMIV on their badge. AFC consider themselves the  spiritual continuation of the Crazy Gang, and might have the Wimbledon Honours Board somehwere but I'm pretty sure the replica trophy is with Merton Borough
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by McGoldrick2284 McGoldrick2284 wrote:

I was led to believe AFC have all the trophies won by the original Wimbledon. Could of sworn i seen this on Football Focus. Could be wrong though.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure thats the case McG. On the AFC website, it lists the FA cup win under the honours section.

The supporters of AFC Wimbledon believe that our club is a continuation of the spirit which formed Wimbledon Old Centrals in 1889 and kept Wimbledon Football Club alive until May 2002. We consider that a football club is not simply the legal entity which controls it, but that it is the community formed by the fans and players working towards a common goal. We therefore reproduce the honours won by what we believe was, and will always be, 'our' club, in our community.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 2:31pm
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 2:36pm
Sorry Criostoir Og, i didnt read your post properly. I think you are right, the replica trophy itself is with Merton Borough but im sure AFC were given the right to claim the history of Wimbledon FC as thier own...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 2:42pm
I'd give them the bloody trophy myself, they deserve it for what they've done (well, they haven't won the FA Cup but you know what I mean Tongue)! I really had hoped that MK Franchise would fail, but they're not doing too badly, picked themselves up from a spiral and are in the playoffs for the Championship, obviously I hope they lose out, along with Leeds. They still have no decent fanbase, the mk:stadium (everything in Milton Keynes has 'mk:' at the start of it) has never been full, and I think is averaging half attendances - I hope AFC get the chance to kick lumps out of them!
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 2:55pm
MK Dons should never be taken seriously, as a football club or as a town Thumbs%20Down

The ironic thing is that they had a non league team in MK before the franchise arrived in thier sh*te, no mark town, but the local people couldnt be bothered to support it and see it rise up the pyramid, which is what the supporters of AFC Wimbledon have had to do with thier new club.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 3:18pm
If anyone gets the chance to go to Milton Keynes do so, it is the wierdest place. It was built in the 1960s and has a real eeriness about it. It has American type roads (at right angles), and everything there is named 'mk:' as I've already said. Its not as if people there can say thay they have proper roots in the place, and only 5 year olds can say 'I've supported MK Dons all my life'...not that you'd want to admit that!
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 4:20pm

Fair play to Wimbledon and their supporters who kept the real club going ClapClap, don’t want to go down a route of franchise football and moving clubs around like sport in America.Thumbs%20DownAngry

Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic