You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abbey Travel - Denmark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Do abbey travel still have packages available?

Sold out the day they were released.
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 12:51pm
I know these lads provide a service partculalrly to older lads not in tune with the wonders of the world wide web, but as sson as people stop using this lot and they disappear from offering packages the better.

Edited by Sham157 - 21 Oct 2017 at 12:51pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

I know these lads provide a service partculalrly to older lads not in tune with the wonders of the world wide web, but as sson as people stop using this lot and they disappear from offering packages the better.
Hummmmm then all we would have to deal with is Sham tours .ie ?????
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummmmm then all we would have to deal with is Sham tours .ie ?????
YBIG Discount
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:21pm

Most nations have a travel partner, I don't see the issue with them.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

Not arguing that. However, travel agents are a dying breed. So Abbey are entitled to 15% of our allocation I believe (open to correction). For games like this they charge a fortune for the priviledge of a match ticket, trips that can be bought up by anyone whether theyve been to every game or none. Those tickets would be much better served in the general pool for FD/SC.
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:31pm

Not arguing that. However, travel agents are a dying breed. So Abbey are entitled to 15% of our allocation I believe (open to correction). For games like this they charge a fortune for the priviledge of a match ticket, trips that can be bought up by anyone whether theyve been to every game or none. Those tickets would be much better served in the general pool for FD/SC.

They are a dying breed, but for lots of people they're an essential way to go on holiday. As they can pay in on it. Most can't afford to pay £3000 for flights up front added with the hotel and transfers. Local travel agents in towns have died off, most large names will always remain. TUI/Thomas Cook/American Holidays even Abbey themselves aren't a small retailer.

True, it may not be fair system. Keep in mind, some who on the Abbey trips are season ticket holders and attend away matches anyway. I priced the Abbey deal, for what they were offering there wasn't a huge amount in it. The 4 star hotel was 160-180 euro with breakfast for a twin room. SAS at the time wanted 900 euro for a direct flight return, Ryanair still want in the 400-500 region. Add in a match ticket, transfers and breakfast there is arguably 100 euro in it. 100 Euro for a guaranteed match ticket.. most will pay.

Edited by TioPepe - 21 Oct 2017 at 3:32pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm
Again it comes down to personal choice. No issue re the annual two weeks of misery in the sun with the missus and the nippers. People can plan well in advance etc, save or pay off as required. When it comes to sports events particulalrly such as the upccoming game thats where I have issues with them. If you or anyone else want to stay in a 4* hotel on a football trip and pay a travel agent a premium for doing so, thats your choice, but you are throwing money away, but agian your choice if you have it to throw away.

Regarding tickets, In the case of regular match goers, again no issue, as Ive said before they do provide a service for the computer illiterate, but there is so much better value out there than travel agents. Flights accom for 3 nights in Copehangen has cost me €280 and thats a 3* city centre hotel. Lots of poeple i know have paid less or maybe a little more. Anyway Such is life.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:49pm

They are a dying breed, but for lots of people they're an essential way to go on holiday. As they can pay in on it. Most can't afford to pay £3000 for flights up front added with the hotel and transfers. Local travel agents in towns have died off, most large names will always remain. TUI/Thomas Cook/American Holidays even Abbey themselves aren't a small retailer.

True, it may not be fair system. Keep in mind, some who on the Abbey trips are season ticket holders and attend away matches anyway. I priced the Abbey deal, for what they were offering there wasn't a huge amount in it. The 4 star hotel was 160-180 euro with breakfast for a twin room. SAS at the time wanted 900 euro for a direct flight return, Ryanair still want in the 400-500 region. Add in a match ticket, transfers and breakfast there is arguably 100 euro in it. 100 Euro for a guaranteed match ticket.. most will pay.

Agreed. I think by the time I’d booked it was costing 700 with abbey. But if I went independently, flights would be 4/500, hotel 150/200, and a ticket in the region of 50/100.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm
I flew with Abbey Travel to the Faroe Islands, think it was over €400 for the day trip!

Only for them I wouldn't have got there. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:05pm
How do travel agents exist in this day and age?  Whey pay more money for something you can do yourself?  It's not 1978 anymore
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:08pm
Because some people don't do it themselves
AKA pedantic kunt
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How do travel agents exist in this day and age?  Whey pay more money for something you can do yourself?  It's not 1978 anymore

Its simple, because you can pay in on it. Thats their main bonus, a lot of people also don't have a clue about holidays or where to go or stay.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I flew with Abbey Travel to the Faroe Islands, think it was over €400 for the day trip!

Only for them I wouldn't have got there. 
Same as you GD but i think we paid €450 now could be wrong as i know Sham got the cheap deal and we were after him .
Sham how much did you pay ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 6:10pm

Commission from hotels and excursions, lower rates on certain rates and packages. Personal knowledge about what to do, where to go, how to get there etc.
Especially for the more adventurous destinations.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
greenmachine68 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:29pm
Fella in work uses these boys. Money no object to him. Meet him the odd time at away games for a pint , to be fair he's all at sea away from his corporate family. I think abbey will always be there! Money talks!
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:49am

Its simple, because you can pay in on it. Thats their main bonus, a lot of people also don't have a clue about holidays or where to go or stay.

the amount of people who have never been on holiday or even own a passport would frighten you
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

the amount of people who have never been on holiday or even own a passport would frighten you

It would frighten me more some of the people who do have a passport tbh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic