You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 177>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:29pm
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:30pm
Micks latest comments should satisfy everyone.
Clarified his previous comments and basically it seems Connolly has every chance of being involved since he is playing scoring in the PL

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Micks latest comments should satisfy everyone.
Clarified his previous comments and basically it seems Connolly has every chance of being involved since he is playing scoring in the PL

Don't worry, there'll be people criticising McCarthy tomorrow for not sitting beside Connolly at lunch time
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Unless somebody makes a standout club appearance and forces his hand, which Connolly clearly has done,  it's a complete and utter no brainer (given McCarthy's ridiculous short brief) that the manager usually opts for experience every time in selecting his teams. However, given our paucity of striking options, I will be surprised if Connolly doesn't at least make a sub appearance over the next two games.

Like most here I've seen very little of this lad, but I'm very impressed from the little amount I have seen. His clever movement and pace around the box remind me of Robbie. If he can keep progressing, these kind of gambles bring goals.

Its hardly much of gamble really.

He's been on the radar for over 3 years at this stage with various super performances for our underage teams. He has taken like a duck to water at adult level for brighton even before his two goals at the weekend.

Add to that, that we have really poor options in that area of the field and tbh its a no brainer picking him for the senior squad now. Tbh there is a serious arguement to be had whether you start him or not now.

Which super performances?

I'd bet my left nut you'd never heard of this guy a year ago.

Anyone with an interest in the Irish national team would have been well aware of Aaron Connolly at Brighton the last 2 or 3 years.

Just because you didn't doesn't mean everyone else was the same.
They've only gone and done it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

Unless somebody makes a standout club appearance and forces his hand, which Connolly clearly has done,  it's a complete and utter no brainer (given McCarthy's ridiculous short brief) that the manager usually opts for experience every time in selecting his teams. However, given our paucity of striking options, I will be surprised if Connolly doesn't at least make a sub appearance over the next two games.

Like most here I've seen very little of this lad, but I'm very impressed from the little amount I have seen. His clever movement and pace around the box remind me of Robbie. If he can keep progressing, these kind of gambles bring goals.

He's been on the radar for over 3 years at this stage with various super performances for our underage teams. He has taken like a duck to water at adult level for brighton even before his two goals at the weekend.

Add to that, that we have really poor options in that area of the field and tbh its a no brainer picking him for the senior squad now. Tbh there is a serious arguement to be had whether you start him or not now.

Anyone with an interest in the Irish national team would have been well aware of Aaron Connolly at Brighton the last 2 or 3 years.

Just because you didn't doesn't mean everyone else was the same.

Who said I didn't?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:00pm

I'd bet my left nut you'd never heard of this guy a year ago.[/QUOTE]

Please can we keep the testicular betting to an absolute minimum Horsebox  
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If we had a 17 year old Messi we would be afraid to play him in a qualifier and play some munter from League 1 because he has been around the block for the last 15 years missing open goals.

Some people think we do have one of those. 
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:35pm

I tend to do my betting with more reputable establishments to be honest as opposed to a random anonymous forum.

Anyone with half a clue about our underage set up would of known he was coming through.

Now take your left nut and nonsense comments and jog on M8.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:09pm
This conversation is prejudiced against people who don’t have a left nut
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:23pm

I tend to do my betting with more reputable establishments to be honest as opposed to a random anonymous forum.

Anyone with half a clue about our underage set up would of known he was coming through.

You didn't actually answer my question, probably because you can't.

I did know he was coming through, I didn't expect it so quickly, he's only 19.
Ultimately what we see on this forum is all senior players dropped and then just a load of random players thrown in as their replacements (not necessarily Connolly).

One minute it's Byrne, the next Crowley and whatever flash in the pan is next.

Edited by horsebox - 07 Oct 2019 at 5:25pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm

Eh, where did he say it was a gamble to play him? He was talking about his movement as a forward! 
Irish maradonna View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish maradonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:50am
Ooooh Momma Momma Momma
I’ve seen the Irish Maradona
He learned to play in a field one day
In a place called Connemara.

Ooooh Mommy Mommy Mommy
You heard it first from me (this line sung slow)
He’s from the west
Has a hairy chest
And they call him Aaron Connolly!

https://youtu.be/CedAArglsk8

Low lie the fields of Athenry etc
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 6:09am
LOLLOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Eh, where did he say it was a gamble to play him? He was talking about his movement as a forward! 

LOLLOL

Ye are actually arguing the same thing! 

Anyways he has to play, I would start him...He has already done more than any other Ireland Striker in a long time aside from the 2 goals... he has got fans (not just Irish) excited by actual tangible end product in the premier league!

The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:21am

You didn't actually answer my question, probably because you can't.

I did know he was coming through, I didn't expect it so quickly, he's only 19.
Ultimately what we see on this forum is all senior players dropped and then just a load of random players thrown in as their replacements (not necessarily Connolly).

One minute it's Byrne, the next Crowley and whatever flash in the pan is next.

But we're not discussing Byrne, crowley etc. here. The hint is the name of the thread who we are supposed to chat about.

Connolly is clearly a different calibre of player to ones mentioned above. He was EPL2 POTY last year scoring 20ish goals for brightons second team whilst still only 18. As said already his underage record for us speaks for itself too. The toulon tournament kind of propelled him to the main stage too.

Sometimes special talents come along. In Connolly & Parrot we have potentially two. Connolly looks ready, hopefully Troy can get in minutes at spurs sooner rather than later.

GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:28am
He has to use him really. Mick said that he wouldn't like to disrupt the u21s squad (or words to that affect). So he has a dilemma now if he sticks to what he has said recently ... he has taken him from the u21 team and also said about players scoring in the PL would get their chance. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 08 Oct 2019 at 9:31am
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I gave the whisperer the benefit of using the word as a sounding off point, but maybe I was been generous!

But yes, of course it's about the gambles in the box that puts strikers in the best positions to receive the ball to have time and space to get a shot away. Something Robbie excelled in and young Connolly seems to have similar instincts.
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:07am
He won't start unless Mcclean starts at left back which I don't see happening. I can see him getting a run with about twenty minutes to go though
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:15am
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

He won't start unless Mcclean starts at left back which I don't see happening. I can see him getting a run with about twenty minutes to go though
I feel the same it would be big pressure on a young lad  to be making your debut and to lead the line on his own in nearly a must win game game away from home for us

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 177>
  Share Topic