You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A United Ireland vote?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Poll Question: Should Northern Ireland become part of the Republic of Ireland
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
85 [72.65%]
32 [27.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 11:58am
James McClean just tweeted about this on Twitter
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Rangers William 6UK View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rangers William 6UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 11:58am
New forum names for northern members

AntrimMan= Ballycastle Loyal
Criostoir Og= Ulster Flegger
Phillyk= Windsor Roar
Jinky= Rangers Poppy Boy
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:02pm
i think this is a good debate lads and its good to hear the perspective of all. 

Whats the Protestent/Catholic split in Belfast these days Antrim man? Belfast lad i worked with from the Short Strand reckoned its changing and a lot of protestents are leaving.

Surely the staunch loyalists would kick off spectacularly if a vote was passed and Ireland was United.  The Loyalists paramilitaries may not rise to the force they were but there would be major unrest. The staunch loyalists kick off about trivial things god only knows how they would react to something not trivial. How long the unrest lasts who knows. Innocent Catholics would be targeted and we could go back to square 1. Is is a United Ireland worth risking relative peace and the death of innocent people??

The Loyalists do not have a Thatcher type figure in Downing street. I do not think the current UK Government or majority of British people care all that much about Northern Ireland or the Loyalist population. Politically id say the UK would not have a major issues relinquishing the North. I would suspect the "Freestate" Government secretly would prefer not to have the hassle of taking the 6 counties back.

The process would need to be managed and phased very carefully and we would need major help from Downing Street in the transition period. The PSNI would have a huge role to play 

I do not think the "freestate" government have the ability or competence to pull this off without major help. 

Im just a mere "west brit" from Dublin and have never been directly affected by the troubles. Would be nice to have a United Ireland but not at the cost of chaos and death.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:04pm
I'd go for a 32 county classless republic, call each other comrade and win a barrow load of olympic medals at gymnastics.........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

who the f**k is voting no???
Rangers Billy, Lord Kilfenian, Iris Robinson and probably the Scientist.  

EDIT: Just seen that the Scientist actually voted no.  

Edited by Metal Paul - 03 Dec 2013 at 12:07pm
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I don't see it?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Rangers William 6UK Rangers William 6UK wrote:

New forum names for northern members

AntrimMan= Ballycastle Loyal
Criostoir Og= Ulster Flegger
Phillyk= Windsor Roar
Jinky= Rangers Poppy Boy

You take that back right now ye hure ye! I'm not from feckin Ballycastle LOL
@AntrimMan85
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Whats the Protestent/Catholic split in Belfast these days Antrim man? Belfast lad i worked with from the Short Strand reckoned its changing and a lot of protestents are leaving.

Surely the staunch loyalists would kick off spectacularly if a vote was passed and Ireland was United.  The Loyalists paramilitaries may not rise to the force they were but there would be major unrest. The staunch loyalists kick off about trivial things god only knows how they would react to something not trivial. How long the unrest lasts who knows. Innocent Catholics would be targeted and we could go back to square 1. Is is a United Ireland worth risking relative peace and the death of innocent people??

The Loyalists do not have a Thatcher type figure in Downing street. I do not think the current UK Government or majority of British people care all that much about Northern Ireland or the Loyalist population. Politically id say the UK would not have a major issues relinquishing the North. I would suspect the "Freestate" Government secretly would prefer not to have the hassle of taking the 6 counties back.

The process would need to be managed and phased very carefully and we would need major help from Downing Street in the transition period. The PSNI would have a huge role to play 

I do not think the "freestate" government have the ability or competence to pull this off without major help. 

Im just a mere "west brit" from Dublin and have never been directly affected by the troubles. Would be nice to have a United Ireland but not at the cost of chaos and death.

I don't think anything will be taken back,its not a take over,it would be a brand new country with a new constitution and political system ,probably with a new flag and national anthem
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:10pm
This will become a major political issue if Sinn Fein get into government as part of a coalition after the next election. 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:13pm

No idea about numbers but from an electoral POV, councilors etc, it is majority Nationalist, hence the recent Union Flag vote which passed 29-21 i think.

The West is very heavily Nationalist, as is much of the North. East is majority Unionist while posh South Belfast is becoming more and more Nationalist, even if it the SDLP variety. The city centre is definately becoming more and more 'Irish', most bars have trad sessions etc, there seems to be carrolls gift shops popping up everywhere, little things like that.
@AntrimMan85
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:13pm
Can't see it happening in the next 30 years to be honest

Obviously would like to see it 

I dont believe in bowing down to terrorism and violence though as a reason to be against it. 
If the people of the island vote for it then it should happen. 

EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:15pm
Voted yes . We need a changed mindset re our working classes - if they wont fight for their childrens future how the fkuc can they be expected to fight for Ireland . I do not nor will I ever recognise a border .
I was the lad on the East Stand with the ""32""poster when Rovers ousted linfield from the Setanta cup - the huns across from me seemed to be in awe . Re loyalists causing trouble - no free lunches so know that .
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
The E View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Pm thE BSM your info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by EastStandMan EastStandMan wrote:

Voted yes . We need a changed mindset re our working classes - if they wont fight for their childrens future how the fkuc can they be expected to fight for Ireland . I do not nor will I ever recognise a border .
I was the lad on the East Stand with the ""32""poster when Rovers ousted linfield from the Setanta cup - the huns across from me seemed to be in awe . Re loyalists causing trouble - no free lunches so know that .

Care to elaborate?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I don't see it?

He didnt really I just knew that there'd be a few people ready to give him stick on here if he did LOL
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:31pm
The argument that the Unionists would kick up a fuss if this happened as a reason for not doing it is ridiculous, you can't let violence override democracy.
Tbh just like a lot of Afrikaners emigrated when Apartheid ended in SA, I genuinely believe a lot of Unionists will emigrate to Scotland (if they aren't already an independent country) or England.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

I don't think anything will be taken back,its not a take over,it would be a brand new country with a new constitution and political system ,probably with a new flag and national anthem

Wouldn't need a new flag, the orange is there for a reason. Funnily enough, I'd be against the idea of changing the anthem (obviously I realise that Unionists/Loyalists would find our anthem offensive). But imagine having to listen to Ireland's Call at football games Dead
The E View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Pm thE BSM your info

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:37pm
If there was a yes vote no doubt the Unionist/Loyalist community would want us to change our anthem and flag. 
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:38pm
I voted yes. I can't see how anyone can call themselves an Irish republican and foresake their countryman to rule by a foreign power.

People are claiming economic reasons for me that just shows the sad state of modern Ireland. I'd give up everything for a United Ireland 
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic