You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A United Ireland referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Do you want the six counties to be part of the Republic of Ireland
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [71.01%]
20 [28.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by El cientifico El cientifico wrote:

Actually talking about gobsh*tes and Celtic jerseys

Was in an Irish Bar in Northbridge on Sunday after the fight. In the jacks going for a piss, fella wearing a Celtic jersey standing beside me…… and as most of ye know I can be a bit of a wind up merchant for all the good reasons and not just to start a row…..

Says to him; jaysus ye were lucky to beat us in Celtic Park, we were muck.

Your man; Aye Sir you know this is an Irish pub you’re in?

Says to him; yeah I do boy, do you know you’re in an Irish pub wearing a British Club jersey……

Your man; Celtic are Irish…… you should be ashamed……. Ashamed!

Says to Him; go away ya f**king mong, last time I looked at the map….. Glasgow was in Scotland, therefore Britain therefore the British Isles therefore the commonwealth and btw judging by your dress attire I’d say you saved ur dole money or robbed your neighbours shed to pay for the ticket to Perth.

Your Man; (move in close to me) you wanna step outside……

Says to Him; nah (drove my 2 fists straight into his chest and he went flying into the piss tank and he got covered in piss, now I mean destroyed!!)

My 2 buddies stood back watched this and when ur man got up he realized there was 3 of us and stayed in the piss tank. We left and f**ked off up to another bar on the strip. Saw him about 3 hours later in the pub we were in, still in the same clothes the dirty bastard!!

Irish Celtic fans Thumbs Down

Celtic fans getting patriotic in a commonwealth country LOLWink

You come out as a much larger gobsh*te in this story Dead
+1, a right tool.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:32am
Jaysus im glad i dont know any "wind up merchants" like yourself in my local. 

You were definitely the aggressor there. Why so angry?

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

God knows! He has a lot of hate in his mind

Edited by Green Devil - 05 May 2015 at 11:34am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:38am
I wouldn't mind, there was actually some intelligent debate going on until that flute posted. Ignoring the post would be the best option.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

A boarder poll would be akin to the Scottish referendum. you would have them t**sers Cameron, Farage etc over here whipping up hysteria like they did before and i would nearly bet my life that the north would descend into civil unrest no matter the result.

Would have thought Farage would gladly dump them to save his English taxpayers some money, he's always banging on about money going "north of Hadrians wall" so I'd imagine he has similar opinion on the north. I would imagine the Conservative and Unionist Party would get up to some vote bribing akin to Scottish referendum if they were in power alright.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Wee James Wee James wrote:

Any man voting against having the 6 counties back is not a true irishman, there would without a doubt be some problems and all options would have to be weighed up,but we all should want a united ireland if thats possible or practical is another thing.

Originally posted by Wee James Wee James wrote:

Voting No on this, 2 men should not be allowed marry each other,its just wrong.

Not to be picking on you Wee James - I note Bruce Wayne appears to be in the exact same camp - but the two opinions above appear to be a little at odds with each other. The Irish Proclamation states:

"The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all of the children of the nation equally..."

A 'No' vote in the upcoming referendum, no matter which way someone may try to rationalise it, is directly contravening one of the core principles of a potential United Ireland.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 12:26pm
The Scientist; tries to look hard, looks like an asshole.

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:14pm
Interesting topic, think it was discussed before on here.

I would imagine there would have to be two separate votes on this both north and south, would the north even get a majority yes vote?

I can only imagine the trouble this would cause, and living so close to the border, i would probably have a different perspective on it from someone living in Munster.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:26pm
We had our vote as part of the GFA. Its a straight 51% in the 6 now.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Well, they were both taking a p*ss at the time...perhaps he glanced across and got jealous?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:41pm
Nope. Article 3 of the Constitution effectively requires another referendum here before a United Ireland can come to pass. The relevant wording states "recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island". Until that will is expressed democratically (aka by a referendum on both sides of the border, with a majority on both sides voting in favour), there can be no United Ireland.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 1:44pm
Are you sure? Did the GFA passing in the 26 not infer the consent? I deffo remember some blue shirt types getting agitated that it was check and mate in terms of the 26 county side of it.
Wee James View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wee James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:03pm
I think if there was a referendum in the morning in the north it would be no way near the 51% Cry
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:37pm
i agree wee james. The unionists would kick up the biggest fear and hype it would be like nothing ever seen before on this island.

Sure look at the over reaction when they told them to take the flag down over belfast city hall! Theres actually still some muppets standing every sat outside city hall with flags about that. I couldnt believe it when i seen them, lol utter morons.

put em under pressure!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 2:39pm
Yeah, I'm 100%. Have a read of the full wording of article 3:

1. It is the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island. Until then, the laws enacted by the Parliament established by this Constitution shall have the like area and extent of application as the laws enacted by the Parliament that existed immediately before the coming into operation of this Constitution.

2. Institutions with executive powers and functions that are shared between those jurisdictions may be established by their respective responsible authorities for stated purposes and may exercise powers and functions in respect of all or any part of the island.

I think that makes it clear (the first part, ignore the second bit) that we have to democratically express our preference for a United Ireland before it can come to pass, on both sides of the border. ****However****, I do not believe that it necessarily requires another constitutional amendment, simply a referendum on the question as to whether the electorate want a United Ireland. It may be safer to have a constitutional amendment, of course, and the effective question would be the same, but I'm not sure it is absolutely required.

Interestingly, as things stand, the Northern Ireland Assembly and Oireachtas, under the second part, could propose an all-Ireland basis for dealing with anything on which the Assembly have competence. So, seeing as they are responsible for things like social security and pensions (in theory), along with things like criminal law, education and the environment, we could deal with any of those on an all-Ireland basis. That's a separate matter entirely, of course, but it could be used to operate a stepping stone basis towards a united Ireland where more matters are devolved to Belfast, more matters are decided on an all-Ireland basis and ultimately, everything is decided on an all-Ireland basis. It provides the pathway, at least, but a referendum would still be required to fully unite the two jurisdictions.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 05 May 2015 at 2:40pm
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:10pm
To quote Patrick Pearse, 'Ireland unfree shall never be at peace'

As much as a good debate on this issue would be, you'd have the bible bashers and loyalist scum out preaching about their Scottish routes and ancestors and their fantastic language... Ulster Scots 'Aye' and how I'm somehow 'British'. 
Mr Cameron wouldnt bother coming over here.. he couldn't wait to get the North of the books of the United Kingdom as it costs them a fortune i think a majority of the english population would be delighted bar the English Defence league. 
They're still moaning over their 'fleg' over the city hall, that thankfully will never return.
SF seem adamant about having a referendum on this next year... you also have catholics who will vote to remain part of the UK. Thats the sad reality of the situation, the best case scenario is SF get the same reaction as the SNP have had. 

ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

To quote Patrick Pearse, 'Ireland unfree shall never be at peace'

As much as a good debate on this issue would be, you'd have the bible bashers and loyalist scum out preaching about their Scottish routes and ancestors and their fantastic language... Ulster Scots 'Aye' and how I'm somehow 'British'. 
Mr Cameron wouldnt bother coming over here.. he couldn't wait to get the North of the books of the United Kingdom as it costs them a fortune i think a majority of the english population would be delighted bar the English Defence league. 
They're still moaning over their 'fleg' over the city hall, that thankfully will never return.
SF seem adamant about having a referendum on this next year... you also have catholics who will vote to remain part of the UK. Thats the sad reality of the situation, the best case scenario is SF get the same reaction as the SNP have had. 

Are there many Unionists in the north who are quite happy to call themselves Irish?
What do middle class rugby players and supporters in Belfast self identify as? Irish, Northern Irish, British?
They seem happy to enough to come down here and stand for the anthem and Ireland's Call

Bruce Wayne View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:25pm
I can't see it happening in our life time anyway. Too much history there. If a referendum was even mentioned everything would boil over straight away
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic