You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A United Ireland referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Poll Question: Do you want the six counties to be part of the Republic of Ireland
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [71.01%]
20 [28.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A United Ireland referendum
    Posted: 04 May 2015 at 2:48pm
Imagine on May 22nd there was a vote for a united Ireland. What would all you dawg's honestly vote on the day? Please outline your reasons Clap
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 3:09pm
I would only vote yes if those crazy evangelical dinosaur nut jobs up there had no say in the running of the country.
Chips don't bounce
Conor Messi View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Messi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:04pm
What 3 wums voted no?
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:21pm
I'd vote yes, but there'd need to be a clever and gradual way of implementing it over a few years. just uniting the country overnight and worrying about the consequences later would be an absolute catastrophe.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:26pm
Yeah it would have to be very gradual. Would need plenty of facts and figures. Is it possible for us to sustain it? Our economy now, while growing, may not be strong enough. Some insane number of the entire workforce in the north are civil servants. Is that true? If so, what kind of numbers? Could we possibly sustain that? How much UK money every year is needed right now to run Northern Ireland? Can we take that on?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:46pm
It would need a fair degree of devolution to the North to work. The Unionists in the north are in no way convinced that we are a secular country and it would take some convincing. The biggest problem would be if we had Sinn Fein in government on both sides of the border at the time of the poll..... not that I'm anti-Sinn Fein, it's just that the Unionists would be completely averse to having to live under a Sinn Fein government. They could live with Fine Gael or even Fianna Fail (although the history there would be a potential block) but if a United Ireland took effect at the same time as Sinn Fein in government here, it could cause trouble from the Loyalists.

No-one wants a return to the dark days. Gradual assimilation is the only way it will work. Increased devolution, perhaps a period of condominium, followed by a quasi-federal set up, is the least likely to cause serious repercussions.
Bruce Wayne View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 5:58pm
Looks like the no voters are against everything we fought and died for in the past. Shame on you
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Bruce Wayne Bruce Wayne wrote:

Looks like the no voters are against everything we fought and died for in the past. Shame on you

Look on the bright side, a lot of the brethren share your views on gay marriage
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 6:40pm
Robinson as the head of the government or Edna . Would nearly vote no myself...
@AntrimMan85
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:10pm
Not a chance , much as I like nationalist Nordie lads the other mob are pure scum and deserve to remain the UK with the rest of the chavs and the ukip voters , can't stand them
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:14pm
If it did happen would the protestant population move to the UK or stay and cause trouble?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:15pm
Is stay and adapt not an option? That's what I'd hope, anyway.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:17pm

If it did happen would the protestant population move to the UK or stay and cause trouble?
LOL FFS
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

LOL FFS

Who is this lad?
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

LOL FFS

Whats funny about that? I was responding to Milla's comment

Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Is stay and adapt not an option? That's what I'd hope, anyway.

Sorry i should have phrased it better. Would they feel better off under a UK system as opposed to ours and hence leave to go to the UK.

There's also no doubt trouble would erupt again

Wee James View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wee James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 8:40pm
Any man voting against having the 6 counties back is not a true irishman, there would without a doubt be some problems and all options would have to be weighed up,but we all should want a united ireland if thats possible or practical is another thing.
Tippbiffo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippbiffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 8:57pm
The six counties will always be part of the Island of Ireland. Unless there's a major earthquake I cant see these counties drifting off in the near future. No referendum needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic