You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good start for Rangers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAFKAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:10am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Another result which highlights the shocking demise of the SPL in fairness.

I dont that is correct. Old Firm apart the league is crap slightly above the LOI.
If WS was in charge they would have got a result.
Rangers will get knocked out at this early stage alright but I expect them to improve.
I can see Celtic going further than they did last year.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sponsored Links

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:19am
Ally McCoist-The Fat Le Guen
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:39am
Appalling stuff from Rangers. Delightful.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:11am
Isn't there a knock on effect of Rangers not getting to the group stages of the Champions League for the SPL (basically Celtic and Rangers) for future admittance to the Champions league? I know the SPL will have two places back next season but if Rangers get knocked out before the group stages and a Swiss, Austrian or Belgium team do well, they will get the second champions league spot the season after, won't they?

While it might sicken Celtic fans to see Rangers in the champions league group stage, there is an added benefit to them being there for the top two clubs in the SPL (basically Celtic and Rangers)
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:15am
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

Isn't there a knock on effect of Rangers not getting to the group stages of the Champions League for the SPL (basically Celtic and Rangers) for future admittance to the Champions league? I know the SPL will have two places back next season but if Rangers get knocked out before the group stages and a Swiss, Austrian or Belgium team do well, they will get the second champions league spot the season after, won't they?

While it might sicken Celtic fans to see Rangers in the champions league group stage, there is an added benefit to them being there for the top two clubs in the SPL (basically Celtic and Rangers)

True, but theres also the knock on effect on them getting extra CL money and being able to buy better players and how that would effect our title hopes, if they did progress

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:47am

Personally I would rather see them beaten and leave Celtic worry about increasing the co-efficient.     
I probably shouldn't take what is an enjoyable thread down this route but it something as both a LOI fan and a Celtic fan I find intriguing. What is it with LOI fans constant obsession with SPL football and the need to mock the fact that a country of a similar size has a better standard of football.Why the need to constantly say; 'outside of the old firm the standard is the same'? Firstly Scotland has two big clubs, deal with it, they are part of their league. Secondly if they are the same why did the best goalkeeper just leave the best club in the league to sign a midtable Scottish club? Gretna aside, how many Galway United situations have their been in the past few years there? How much coverage does the LOI get in Irish papers in comparison to the SPL in the Scottish media?How many grounds in the league can compare with, say, Easter Road? More importantly and certainly much more relevant, do fans of the league not realise that this constant bleating about other leagues being better and barstoolers and the myriad of idiocy that many of them spout about Celtic fans merely puts people ,who love the game of football, off attending it. This holier than thou attitude from those within the Irish game is completely counter productive.
Spudgunn1980 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudgunn1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:25am
Clap
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Personally I would rather see them beaten and leave Celtic worry about increasing the co-efficient.     
I probably shouldn't take what is an enjoyable thread down this route but it something as both a LOI fan and a Celtic fan I find intriguing. What is it with LOI fans constant obsession with SPL football and the need to mock the fact that a country of a similar size has a better standard of football.Why the need to constantly say; 'outside of the old firm the standard is the same'? Firstly Scotland has two big clubs, deal with it, they are part of their league. Secondly if they are the same why did the best goalkeeper just leave the best club in the league to sign a midtable Scottish club? Gretna aside, how many Galway United situations have their been in the past few years there? How much coverage does the LOI get in Irish papers in comparison to the SPL in the Scottish media?How many grounds in the league can compare with, say, Easter Road? More importantly and certainly much more relevant, do fans of the league not realise that this constant bleating about other leagues being better and barstoolers and the myriad of idiocy that many of them spout about Celtic fans merely puts people ,who love the game of football, off attending it. This holier than thou attitude from those within the Irish game is completely counter productive.
Clap
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:37am

Well put Clap 

If it means Celtic not getting an easier route into qualifing for the Champions League at the expense of Rangers getting dumped out its fine by me!! As its been said if Rangers dont get extra Champions League money it wont have an effect on Celtic....

Im still cautious though i feel Whyte might plow millions into the playing squad over the next few years so its crucial we win the SPL this season!!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Well put Clap 

If it means Celtic not getting an easier route into qualifing for the Champions League at the expense of Rangers getting dumped out its fine by me!! As its been said if Rangers dont get extra Champions League money it wont have an effect on Celtic....

Im still cautious though i feel Whyte might plow millions into the playing squad over the next few years so its crucial we win the SPL this season!!

The SPL have only one spot in the Champions league this season because of the results of Scottish league sides in Europe recently, results like Rangers last night for example. Scotland have two places in the champions league next season (2012/13) because of (but not entirely) Rangers performance in the Europa League last season in getting to the last 16. If Rangers crash out at this stage, there's a good chance the SPL will only get one place in the champions league for 2013/14. It's a double edged sword really.

dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:31am
tis true. this seasons winners of the SPL get straight into the group stages next season so winning the league this year is a must to get that cash. that said results like last night dont do scottish teams any favours. then again the like of dundee utd going striaght out doesnt help either!
put em under pressure!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 10:40am

Very well put Clonboy........leaving aside co-efficients and all that mullarkey, if Celtic wanna progress they have to win the SPL and then qualify for the group stages on merit, it's that simple, we're good enough we'll make it and if not, so be it.  I will never hope to see the Huns progress in any competition, ever, their fans would say the same of Celtic and that's fine.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:12am
LARSSON, I Love it Clap
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:17am
Good thread this. How anyone who genuinely supports a club cannot take pleasure in their nearest and greatest rivals underachieving is beyond me. SUPPORTERS OF CERTAIN EPL CLUBS TAKE NOTE! Wink

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:23am
I said it as soon as he was appointed that mccoist would be sacked by christmas
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:27am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

I said it as soon as he was appointed that mccoist would be buggered by christmas

definiteltyBig smile
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:28am
The EPL has four places in the champions league, three guaranteed group places. The SPL has one place this season, two next season but that won't last long with performances from SPL clubs like last night. There is an element of cutting your nose off to spite your face here.
Celtic and Rangers are more or less guaranteed the top two positions in the SPL so if you want to keep the two qualifying spots the SPL will get next season, you'd want SPL clubs to perform a bit better than Rangers last night and Dundee United the other week (even if it's in the Europa League play off round that Rangers will probably be in). Two spots in the champions league qualifiers is better than one as a saftey net for finishing second. It's up to both teams then to perform and get into the Champions league proper.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

I said it as soon as he was appointed that mccoist would be sacked by christmas

Assuming that Malmo will knock them out, McCoist is already under a lot of pressure.
Another game on Saturday away to St Johnstone in an early start could also mean dropped points.
He's just a fat LeGuen.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:35am

The EPL has four places in the champions league, three guaranteed group places. The SPL has one place this season, two next season but that won't last long with performances from SPL clubs like last night. There is an element of cutting your nose off to spite your face here.
Celtic and Rangers are more or less guaranteed the top two positions in the SPL so if you want to keep the two qualifying spots the SPL will get next season, you'd want SPL clubs to perform a bit better than Rangers last night and Dundee United the other week (even if it's in the Europa League play off round that Rangers will probably be in). Two spots in the champions league qualifiers is better than one as a saftey net for finishing second. It's up to both teams then to perform and get into the Champions league proper.

who cares about the CL anyway , Celtic or Rangers wont ever win it, and the way things are going theyre unlikely to even get a run at it. As long as Rangers lose as many games as possible I am happy. The SPL is a poor league, and because football has just become a business they will not break the monopoly of the Man U Chelski Barca Real cartel. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic