You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:02am
Blur song 2 was on that one
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Loved the way that you could be on the goalline and still blaze the ball over the bar if you pressed the wrong button in WC90!
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:41pm
An old school pal of mine used to have a game on his watch in the eighties I remember,
The watch used to go round the class on a daily basis,
Good times.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:47pm
brilliant thread great memories
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Fifa 96 - the last of the crazy 45 degree angle

Remember Fifa 97 then for some reason Del Piero was called "Del Piero Tonyon"
You could score from the kick off against sh*t teams on that one?Sega Yeah?
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:16pm
Note to the younger lads, You dont know what you missed if you havent loaded a game from a cassette onto your personal computer.

The following games were all massive on the Commodore 64. The 64 standing for the massive 64 KB of RAM, being a whole 4 times more powerful than its predessessor and in comparison laughable C16 (with 16 KB of RAM)

'Matchday 2' - absolutely classic. Breakthrough game IMHO. Legendary. A new level of realism.

'Brian Cloughs Football Fortunes' - the late 80's / early 90's football management game. Played half and half on the computer and a board game. Excellent game, multiplayer available and all matches played out on the videy-printer!! The tension waiting for your teams score... Unreal!

'Emlyn Hughes International Soccer' was a classic. Never liked it as much as Matchday 2 but was probably at least it's equal.

'Microprose Soccer' heralded the arrival of the modern football games.

Non-Football honourable mention: 'Elite' on the BBC computer - still absolutely without peer.

Edited by eire77 - 23 Feb 2013 at 1:18pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:17pm
You look at it now and wonder how they can possibly make it any more realistic, although we were probably thinking the same thing 10 years ago! The graphics really have hugely improved over the last 3 years or so though
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 1:24pm
Football Manager on The C64.I played this game for f**king hours at a time .You would be terrified of leaving it because there was a good chance it wouldn't load to the same spot as you left it.Those cassettes would break your heart.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

You look at it now and wonder how they can possibly make it any more realistic, although we were probably thinking the same thing 10 years ago! The graphics really have hugely improved over the last 3 years or so though

As good as they are and Ive just watched the new PS4 version of Killzone (looks good) the complete jump was from the megadrive to the PS1 Shocked. Basically from 2D to 3D. As good as PS2,xbox360 went onto having brilliant lighting effects and draw distances, It was never so much of a jump as it was when the PS1 came out.The xbox 360,PS3 doesn't have the scenery popping up in the distance that you seen on the PS2,XBOX but the PS1 for me when the first formula 1 came out for it and the wipeout demo Clap blew the mega drive out of the water for me
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
That jump is really the technology, from cartridge to cd (mega drive to ps1). Similar to cassette to cartridge (c64 to mega drive) and also cd to DVD (ps1 to ps2).
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:37pm
remember the peno kicks in italia 90? they were class

there was alos a gme on the amstrad, think it was fa cup, and you would pick 10 teams and try to win the cup, there was vitually no management input and the scores would just come up, i remember your star african player would be injured and you would have to decide whether to allow him to go home no his nigerian witch doctor or treat him at the club, meself and weelout played this for hours

there used to be some cracking arcade football games back in the day, cant remember the name of them though

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

That jump is really the technology, from cartridge to cd (mega drive to ps1). Similar to cassette to cartridge (c64 to mega drive) and also cd to DVD (ps1 to ps2).

Probably like yourself I've grown up in that time frame and i remember the c64 well but I do think the cartridge to the cd was the most striking imo out of the lot. It was unbelievable when the PS1 came out  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

remember the peno kicks in italia 90? they were class

there was alos a gme on the amstrad, think it was fa cup, and you would pick 10 teams and try to win the cup, there was vitually no management input and the scores would just come up, i remember your star african player would be injured and you would have to decide whether to allow him to go home no his nigerian witch doctor or treat him at the club, meself and weelout played this for hours

there used to be some cracking arcade football games back in the day, cant remember the name of them though

ShockedLOL  you are fcukin joking me that was in it?! The fa cup game with a slight dash of stereotyping

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:41pm
think thats were nintendo f**ked up big time with the N64, they missed the boat by staying with cartridge

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:42pm
Just wondering lads have ye watched the video that i put up on the first page as it goes through all the games? Class video 
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 2:43pm
Lads just found this site, must have all the footie games mentioned in this thread prior to the playstation era Clap
http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/index.php

I've just also found Rugby World Cup 95 which I also had for the SEGA when I was younger. It was made in the same style as FIFA with the awkward angle

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Lads just found this site, must have all the footie games mentioned in this thread prior to the playstation era Clap

I've just also found Rugby World Cup 95 which I also had for the SEGA when I was younger. It was made in the same style as FIFA with the awkward angle

Are the plugins that you have to download to play the games safe??? My anti-virus is expired.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Are the plugins that you have to download to play the games safe??? My anti-virus is expired.

I downloaded it there and it is alright so far. None of those toolbar add ons included anyways. You also have to sign up for unlimited plays as it only allows guests 7 plays
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic