You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

35 Years Of Computer Football Games 1978-2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Sensible soccer was the balls, spent a serious amount of time in my pre teen years playing that on the megadrive. Absolutely loved that game. Pro Evo series was the king on PS1 and PS2 but has been awful for the past 8 years. Fifa is top dog now. Another game I loved on the megadrive was a little known game called Ultimate Soccer..

Brilliant game!!Wind up full blast on the blue pitch and the craic was on!!Have the music from it in my head now!!
It was class alright, do you remember the crazy player names??? Aldridge was Baldride.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:39pm
Championship Manager 2001/2002 season s**ts on any other football game ever Clap

Give me Football Manager over Pro-Evo or Fifa anyday Thumbs Up

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Feb 2013 at 6:40pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:49pm
ISS was quality when it came out . Gameplay was class. Soccer '97 anybody ?
Johnner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
Loved goal and hyper football for nes .
keitho5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keitho5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Championship Manager 2001/2002 season s**ts on any other football game ever Clap

Your obviously just sh*te at football games so

No better feeling than banging in a last minute winner against one of your mates!
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:12pm
Pro Evo 5 was my last love in terms of football games. After that they started to get too intense and less enjoyable for me. I cant have fun playing them anymore, you need to be on your game for the whole duration or you will concede. Its very draining. I can only play 2-3 games in a row and i am shattered.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 22 Feb 2013 at 7:13pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Pro Evo 5 was my last love in terms of football games. After that they started to get too intense and less enjoyable for me. I cant have fun playing them anymore, you need to be on your game for the whole duration or you will concede. Its very draining. I can only play 2-3 games in a row and i am shattered.
You want to play Max Power in Fifa, that's draining. You need full concentration for the entire game.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by othiek othiek wrote:

Your obviously just sh*te at football games so

No better feeling than banging in a last minute winner against one of your mates!

They are football games Wink Or......Maybe i'd just rather be in total control of more or less every aspect of the team and using my brain to make new training programmes, sign/sell players etc etc which is far more challenging than pushing a few buttons Wink

I'm sure its a great feeling, still when you have a single file going for over 60 hours it more than takes over you're life at various times so that does it for me Thumbs Up

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
Anyone remember the This is Football games, they used be on Ps2. First game to have handballs, diving, and the goalie could get sent off. Brilliant is was think Rio Ferdinand on the front of one of them.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm

Don't really mean to sound petty but those manager are considered strategy games. You cant really compare them. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Don't really mean to sound petty but those manager are considered strategy games. You cant really compare them. 

Fack off you caaan't they are as football as they come LOL

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Fack off you caaan't they are as football as they come LOL

They're under a different gaming genre. Tbh GD FIFA and PES have career modes where you can buy players,recruit youth team and staff,get sponsorship,players stats decline and rise so they practically have all the features you'd have in a manager sim plus if you didnt want to play the games you can switch to coach mode. PES would be the easier gameplay to get into. Im sure you'd like PES if ya played it Thumbs Up
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:07pm
LMA manager for the PS2 was the balls
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm

Italia '90 on the Mega Drive Clap

We weren't on it for some bizzare reason Confused
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:32pm
international soccer on the c64 - only game i didn't have to wait half an hour to load as it was on a cartridge! despite the fact it was terrible, it was clearly a kind of football, and as it was equally bad for both players it was great craic.

moving on to microprose soccer - the introduction of replays (with flashing corner "R/r" and the ability to rewind) plus controlling the power of the shot/pass and headers was a big improvement, but still clunky. kick off and sensible soccer on The Amiga and the Atari st developed things further and were the first recognisable football games, really feeling like proper matches.

i play 3d soccer was a terrible game but still very innovative. the first proper 3d football game and allowed you to just play as one player through a whole game if you wanted.

moving into the 16 bit consoles iss and iss deluxe on The snes were balanced against the isometric fun of fifa. i still preferred sensible soccer to be honest.

the psx really brought things along - fifa 97 was a real victory of style over substance, and iss ps1 / 98 was substance over style. both games were great. those engines were then just continuously developed and, by and large, improved. the 2 best games were pro evolution soccer 2 on The ps2 and, if only for the introduction of proper online play, fifa 2009.

i guess the one constant was 2 player games always were the real test if the game was good or not.

honourable mentions:
everton fc intelligentsia - what a crazy game
virtua soccer - goooooooooaaaaaaallllll!!!!!! (after a 2 yard tap in own goal to pull one back to 1-5)
euro football champ (big fat ref falling over during which time you got away with kicking the bejaysus out of the opposition)
the krysalis games always(john Barnes, man united, euro 92 etc) - great graphics
buggy boy (points bonus for bashing the oversized football with the dune buggy)
soccer kid (the forerunner of freestyling)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Your feckin right.

England as well constituted the entire united kingdom on the flashing map screen whrn you highlighted a team so even the pub team were represented in the game

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Feb 2013 at 8:41pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:08pm

and china were
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

and china were

Yere spot on lads LOL. Remember any time ya scored and the screen with the same generic player with the arm up in celebration 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic