Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 years ago today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 8:46am
I was 5 at the time but distinctively remember all my uncles round to watch the match at my house and the way the sofa was positioned in the living room.
Only learned yesterday that the goal came in the 6th minute, I thought it was much later than that.

Sponsored Links

mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Was watching TOR! the official film of Euro 88.  My God, what a English biased condescending load of sh*te.  They gave loads of attention to Englands attacks versus  Holland and barely showed Ireland (didnt even show Eire v USSR) and the English voiceover makes ''lucky Bonner'' remarks over and over in between paddwhackery remarks.

England were the worst team in the tournament losing all 3 games!

it was terrible ... I bought it... was always tempted to throw it out... the video of the Irishtown house in ringsend/irishtown .. people pissed....voice over is a dj now.........and from red dwarf
Come on Irelind
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:02am
Nearly missed the game as we spent 2 hours on the plane in Dublin Airport.

We had to wait until we got to cologne before we could celebrate ended up on a boat Hotel with about 800 others mental.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
Lads, Ronnie Whelan didn’t hit the bar. Look at the shot closely, it just clears the bar and hits the upper rigging behind it and that propels the ball up. Was a great effort but I can’t believe how many still say it hit the bar. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Lads, Ronnie Whelan didn’t hit the bar. Look at the shot closely, it just clears the bar and hits the upper rigging behind it and that propels the ball up. Was a great effort but I can’t believe how many still say it hit the bar. 

Its funny because he hit the bar about 2 hours later but not many saw that
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:02am

That’s an early contender for Joke of the month for June 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

That’s an early contender for Joke of the month for June 

Cool

I didn't realise Peter Schmeichel played in Euro 88 for Denmark

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:21pm
Was only 3 so obviously don't remember but 1988 and how we did still fills me with pride looking at what happened. You couldn't have wrote it any better that we beat our arch enemy in our very first major tournament match after been given no hope by the outside world. 

1988 though overall leaves a little regret because my childhood could have been a whole lot different had it not been for that wicked spinning header against the Dutch. It could have been "and we got to the semi one time" or " we made it to the final" or " the time we were European champions".

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Jun 2018 at 10:22pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:28pm
I can't understand ''we were given no chance''.  We had Whelan, Aldrifge and Houghton from the best team in England playing rampant winning football. We had McGrath arguably the best ball playing centre backs/midfielders at the time, Moran who played for Man Utd and in Spain, Galvin etc...
We had a world cup winner as manager and was not afraid of the big occasion.  Strange looking back the pessimism.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:32pm

I can't understand ''we were given no chance''.  We had Whelan, Aldrifge and Houghton from the best team in England playing rampant winning football. We had McGrath arguably the best ball playing centre backs/midfielders at the time, Moran who played for Man Utd and in Spain, Galvin etc...
We had a world cup winner as manager and was not afraid of the big occasion.  Strange looking back the pessimism.

To the outside I said. Again I wasn't old enough at the time but listening to the players reminisce they say that people didn't really give them a chance but they believed "we can do this". And looking at the players you would certainly thing so. But that is in hindsight 
Lads that were riding the wave at the time could tell best what it was like amongst fans?

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:44pm

Most of it was from outsiders. To them, we were the Cinderella side, a small country with a poor domestic league, in our first tournament because Bulgaria and Belgium fuced up, in a group with three of the best sides in Europe. We were given no chance of getting a point, let alone come within 10 minutes of a semi final.

To this day, I'll never understand how we survived wave after wave of clear-cut England chances in that second half, they missed at least 6 one on ones. It was similar to how we got out of Moscow with the historic 0-0 draw. If that happens nowadays, there is a forensic post mortem online and on air about how overrun we are. Back in Stuttgart, people only cared about the final scoreline.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Lol....and we complain about England going on about winning the World Cup in 66. 30 years on and we are still talking about winning a GAME.Embarrassed

You were probably swimming in yer oul lads sack at the time so I don't see any point in you talking about it.
This fckwit should be still in a sack doing a Houdini act trying to get out of the canal
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:51am
The win shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. Ireland went into the England game on an unbeaten run of ten matches and had won eight of them. This was a team in form.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:33am
Frank Stapleton after it  still in the ground said “ We scored , They Didnt “ 
That basically summed it up 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

The win shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. Ireland went into the England game on an unbeaten run of ten matches and had won eight of them. This was a team in form.
Johan Cruijff said something similar beforehand.
He was the only one that gave us a chance.
And he would NOT have approved of our style.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Johan Cruijff said something similar beforehand.
He was the only one that gave us a chance.
And he would NOT have approved of our style.

I’ve only watched the first 10mins..... there is some amount of headers in that period!! 
And the pass back to the keepers who picks it up just looks weird.

I’ll try and watch the whole match over the weekend.

How come England had a 38 year old Peter Shilton in goal? Was he still the best they had evan at that age?

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 14 Jun 2018 at 9:56am

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

How come England had a 38 year old Peter Shilton in goal? Was he still the best they had evan at that age?
Pretty much yeah, sure he played 2 years later aswell.

Liverpool had Grobelaar
Everton had Southall
United had Leighton (?)

Edited by Gary McKay - 14 Jun 2018 at 10:02am
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Woods and Beasant were taken with the squad that year. Shilton was still playing regularly in the First division as he was in 1990.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic