Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 years ago today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:21pm
Thankfully you never go on about the same thing all the time Embarrassed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Lol....and we complain about England going on about winning the World Cup in 66. 30 years on and we are still talking about winning a GAME.Embarrassed

Let me ask you.

1 What age are you?
2 Did you follow the national team when we had never qualified?
3 Are you familiar with the attitude Official Ireland had with football in the years prior to when we started becoming competitive?
4 Were you familiar with the times we were done by referee cheating that prevented us qualifying until 30 years ago?
5 Were you familiar with our DNA that always wants us to beat an English team in any sport? 
6 Were you sick of us being always spoken of patronisingly by media across the pond? 

If any of your answers to questions 2 to 6 are NO, then you'll never understand why 12/6/88 means what it does to those who remember it on that day. 

It was so much more than one game.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'm currently sitting in Dublin airport, with my navy umbro Ireland polo shirt on, drinking an overpriced pint of Peroni and just after reading that article. Absolute pleasure to read. Perfect  timing FW Wink

Have no memories of 88 and only vague ones of Italia 1990 but to live through that period in Irish football as a supporter would have been unbelievable given the wilderness and heroic failure years which preceded it. I'm as envious as fook.LOL

Plus one

Anybody lucky enough to have followed Ireland around 88-94 will have some memories.

Great write up FW 
Clap

BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm

Lol....and we complain about England going on about winning the World Cup in 66. 30 years on and we are still talking about winning a GAME.Embarrassed

JW

We are not just talking about it but actively remembering it
the journey on the ferry from the UK with  the cops, "loadsmoney" and the English fans,
the biers after the game - we ordered 22 of them so we could salute the whole squad
the phone call home late that night to the dad in tears (alcohol involved),
mini drama (the French conductor getting me off the train as it was heading to Paris and I was only going to Karlsruhe luckily I had no passport)
sitting in Karlsruhe HBF waiting for my mates in the morning during rushhour and having people come up and shake my hand, laugh (not something the Germans are famous for)

and that was before the rest of the adventure around Germany and Holland .. not always good / exciting  ..
being invited to a Christian Rock festival in Essen,
being attacked in A'dam for being English and when they found out we were Irish wanted to hug us to which they were told to F off.

I would think there are English fans who went to the 66 final and have their equivalent memories. Proper order too as football fans in my opinion.

And as football fans you should be able to understand how  one can "rejoice" in the longer that hurts go on... My wife / in laws have to put up with this every tournament. Long may it last

So deliberately miss the point if you wish but 88 was the coming of age for Irish football fans and long my it be remembered

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:31pm
Spot on Munich Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:13pm

you're a ****!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Let me ask you.

1 What age are you?
2 Did you follow the national team when we had never qualified?
3 Are you familiar with the attitude Official Ireland had with football in the years prior to when we started becoming competitive?
4 Were you familiar with the times we were done by referee cheating that prevented us qualifying until 30 years ago?
5 Were you familiar with our DNA that always wants us to beat an English team in any sport? 
6 Were you sick of us being always spoken of patronisingly by media across the pond? 

It was so much more than one game.

7. Does he care?

Euro 88 was the first tournament I have clear memories of, certainly the first qualifying campaign. So I was probably too young to realise the wider context of winning this game, we won so many games around that time, and this just felt like another one at the time, albeit a big one. 

The first half was fun. The second half was an endurance test, as McGrath was injured, McCarthy was struggling to cope with Lineker around, and the shots rained down on Bonner every couple of minutes. It looked inevitable that the equaliser would arrive. Somehow we held out, and we still celebrate it, as it's still the last time we beat them and the last time the fixture didn't finish in a draw.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:06pm
I called it ages ago, JW is a twat and I was told to apologise to him by a mod, glad i declined. An absolute WUM of a poster who adds f**king nothing but annoyance to the forum
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm

Hey, John you're getting on my wick. What a very subtle user name for a WUM. Did you think of it all in your own or did the rest of the kindergarten help...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:20pm
Another often stat....England still haven't beaten us in 30 years since Star
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:40pm
Funny thing was it was a very scrappy game and we really lucky to win in the end. We were barely hanging on in the last ten minutes and giving up too many chances....it could easily have been a 1-1 on any other day
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:11pm

You were probably swimming in yer oul lads sack at the time so I don't see any point in you talking about it.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

You were probably swimming in yer oul lads sack at the time so I don't see any point in you talking about it.

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm
Was watching TOR! the official film of Euro 88.  My God, what a English biased condescending load of sh*te.  They gave loads of attention to Englands attacks versus  Holland and barely showed Ireland (didnt even show Eire v USSR) and the English voiceover makes ''lucky Bonner'' remarks over and over in between paddwhackery remarks.

England were the worst team in the tournament losing all 3 games!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:46pm
I was also doing my inter at the time . Fantastic memories that I’ll take to the grave . Like others said getting robbed for too long and desperate bad luck for years beforehand . 
People say we only got there because of Gary McKay forgetting that we had beat Bulgaria 2-0 the previous month . 

Memories of the whole family watching in the sitting room . Was a gorgeous day if I remember in Dublin that day . My mother running in and out and afraid to watch . Near heart attack moments near the end . 
Sure we rode our luck but didn’t Whelan hit the bar too ?

Was only one game me arse , it was the day when real Irish  football people cried , not because we had just beaten England but the fact that we had been sh*t on for years and this was our moment ..

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:48am
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

I was also doing my inter at the time . Fantastic memories that I’ll take to the grave . Like others said getting robbed for too long and desperate bad luck for years beforehand . 
People say we only got there because of Gary McKay forgetting that we had beat Bulgaria 2-0 the previous month . 

Memories of the whole family watching in the sitting room . Was a gorgeous day if I remember in Dublin that day . My mother running in and out and afraid to watch . Near heart attack moments near the end . 
Sure we rode our luck but didn’t Whelan hit the bar too ?

Was only one game me arse , it was the day when real Irish  football people cried , not because we had just beaten England but the fact that we had been sh*t on for years and this was our moment ..

Good post it was very emotional watching it and particuarly sweet watching it it in Sunderland where the English media had totally written Ireland off and in their view it was just a question of how many England would win by.

Some massive celebrations followed.

Beer
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:27am
Anybody have a link to the game?
I definitely need to watch this.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Anybody have a link to the game?
I definitely need to watch this.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3e8mcl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic