Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 years ago today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 years ago today
    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:26am

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:34am
And Houghton never bought another pint in Ireland again
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:10am
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:14am
I was at the game and my memories fade and are taken over by tv images of the goal and celebrations... suppose it just my age, the memories after the game and the train to hamburg after it are better 
Come on Irelind
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

My memories of that day here..........

Good read FW

Had a chuckle at the Robbie Keane Robbie Henshaw line
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
I was studying for my Inter Cert that day (note for younger members: that was what the Junior Cert used to be called). Went upstairs to do a bit of revision, thinking I'd do around half an hour and watch the second half, sure nothing would be happening, most likely to be a dour 0-0. 

6 minutes later and the house shook from the roars emanating from the living room. Needless to say I legged it downstairs and didn't get a tap done for the rest of the day.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:12pm
Can't believe you took the inter/junior cert that seriously.In the grand scheme of Ireland appearing in world cup/euro finals it's a fairly meaningless exam.
Wodawick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wodawick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:18pm
Incredible day! Unlikely to be topped for anyone who was there............

Unless we get to a World Cup Final, that is.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
Incredible day with loads of memories
Spotted a couple of our group in the photo in the Irish Times at the weekend.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Can't believe you took the inter/junior cert that seriously.In the grand scheme of Ireland appearing in world cup/euro finals it's a fairly meaningless exam.

LOL
Yeah, hindsight and all that!
I think it was just a last bit of revision before English the next day.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:54pm
I have 2 overriding memories of the day. Firstly, was that brief moment between the ball going into the net, looking at the linesman (and hoping he'd keep his flag down) and finally realizing the goal was ok.
And then came the joy at full-time and the tears after phoning my dad later that day. I know it was only a football match but to me it was at last a reward and vindication for my father and men like him who played and attended the "foreign game" in spite of official Irelands prejudice against them.
I said in a previous thread the Italia 90 was the best time of my life, I was wrong. That week in Germany in 1988 will never ever be surpassed for me. To me anyway, it was very personal. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Wodawick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wodawick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm

Brilliant stuff!!!

"We're one-up!!"............."Oh sh*t, there's 84 minutes left!!".

Also, the Hoddle shot from the edge of the box is seared into my memory as well. Missed by an inch. I'm not sure if the fans back home ever realised it, as the German TV coverage showed that effort from a camera angle looking across the 18-yard line.
Wodawick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wodawick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm
......and then Ray Houghton got the ball, and he stuck in the net!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Wodawick Wodawick wrote:

Brilliant stuff!!!

"We're one-up!!"............."Oh sh*t, there's 84 minutes left!!".

Also, the Hoddle shot from the edge of the box is seared into my memory as well. Missed by an inch. I'm not sure if the fans back home ever realised it, as the German TV coverage showed that effort from a camera angle looking across the 18-yard line.

I still wince every time I see Hoddle's shot, something or someone caused the shot to veer away the last 5 metres.  I was sure it was in.

Cabra Hoop, you've nailed it.  This was more than just beating England on the day.  It was for all the sh*te results and bent refs and incompetent organizing that bedeviled your father, my father and our elders when they were playing for your Rovers, Shels, Bohs, Drums or Leinster Senior level or whatever and were looked down upon by teachers/priests for pursuing the "foreign" game.

So many pent up frustrations were let loose that day and beating England that day laid so many ghosts to rest once and for all and made the world sit up and finally take notice of our team and our people.

A beautiful day in so many respects. Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:31pm
I'm currently sitting in Dublin airport, with my navy umbro Ireland polo shirt on, drinking an overpriced pint of Peroni and just after reading that article. Absolute pleasure to read. Perfect  timing FW Wink

Have no memories of 88 and only vague ones of Italia 1990 but to live through that period in Irish football as a supporter would have been unbelievable given the wilderness and heroic failure years which preceded it. I'm as envious as fook.LOL

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'm currently sitting in Dublin airport, with my navy umbro Ireland polo shirt on, drinking an overpriced pint of Peroni and just after reading that article. Absolute pleasure to read. Perfect  timing FW Wink

Have no memories of 88 and only vague ones of Italia 1990 but to live through that period in Irish football as a supporter would have been unbelievable given the wilderness and heroic failure years which preceded it. I'm as envious as fook.LOL

Depressing considering the depths we have slumped to at present. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I started going to games in 1973, so by the time Euro 88 was reached, we'd missed out in seven qualifying tournaments between Euros and World Cups.  This seemed like a fooking eternity and I really thought we'd never reach one in the format it was then.

When we finally reached the promised land, it was an amazing feeling and it was just the greatest feeling of pride and emotion when Amhrán na bhFiann was played that day 30 years ago.  Those of us who were there absolutely recognize just how lucky we were to be able to go and to now remember it all those years on.  Beautiful memories.  Best football day ever.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 4:07pm
Great read Freewheeler.  Definitely one for the football people of the country.  definitely a huge Dublin contingent but also those from all over.  Many who had spent a Sunday morning too many picking broken glass out of goalmouths.  

No ticket issues either.  The FAI had enough for all who applied.

We were in the campsite a short walk from the stadium.  

By Italia 90 the bandwagon was in the fast lane.  

I've been fortunate enough to attend all our game sin major finals since.  None come close.  Yes Genoa was special.  Yes Italy in 94 were a miles better team than England.  However it was our first game ever in a major finals that I and many others thought we'd never see.  We beat England enough said.      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic