Poll Question: Who will advance to the 1/4 finals
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [56.10%]
18 [43.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

That’s a generous price .
Engerland to win. Generous price because England are much better. 
Sponsored Links

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:25am
think I'd rather just back them to qualify than win in 90 mins
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:12am
Co!ombia should win this handily enough.....don't believe the hype. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
those saying Colombia will win is it more out of hope than with your head?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:35am
It doesn't bother me either way who wins, some of the reactions to beating a Panama team that froze on the big stage were ridiculous, but if Rodriguez is fit I think Colombia will win handily. Without him it is probably a more even game, it just makes the odds being given more bizarre.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Hoping it’s a cracking game.

England A team have looked brilliant so far.

No they haven't, they were brutal against Tunisia in the second half 
They played well for about 25 minutes. The rest was pony

They really could have scored 3/4 against Tunisia in the first half and with a better ref they would have been awarded at least two penalties. Compared to other games it was very strange no penalties were awarded for the clear fouls on Kane.
2nd half was bad but Tunisia put up a wall and wanted a draw.
They totally deserved to win tho and it should have been won by half time.

They blew Panama away in the first half. Reminded me of a few Liverpool games this season when the game was won in a 30 min spell. Very few teams have the ability to do that to teams in a World Cup.

Two wins and lots of goals scored is great for the confidence.

The Belgium match was a very strange situation and I think England missed an opportunity there.

Colombia will be their biggest test so far in this World Cup to see what level there are at. Without James I expect England to win. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 11:06am
You can only beat what is put in front of you and they did it well, but Panama were awful. They completely froze and for a good thirty minutes after conceding the first were only interested in kicking lumps out of England.
The really bad teams at this tournament, and I think two of the worst were in England's group, have collapsed after conceding an early goal and been completely devoid of fight or plan b, which makes England's performance against Tunisia more questionable in hindsight.
Sure, they deserved to win and should have had a penalty, but they never got the second goal when on top, as Belgium did, and when Walker's howler let Tunisia believe they really struggled to break them down.
I think England will have a very strong squad in coming years, assuming some of the underage players start making a mark and supplementing the quality that is already there, but they will continue to struggle here. The keeper and defence don't look comfortable and they are lacking in midfield. Kane always gives them a chance but I think Colombia's style is suited to European opposition and that defence will really struggle when properly tested.

Edited by pre Madonna - 01 Jul 2018 at 11:28am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:07pm
If Brazil battered Costa Rica (similar level to Panama) 5-0 at half time people would be talking up Brazil as the best team in the tournament and what a performance that was.
I feel because it’s England we are immediately down playing Panama as the worst team in the competition. 

In qualifying they took 4 points of Costa Rica and drew at home to Mexico so they are not terrible. 
They would be in the bottom half of the 4th seeds at the WC.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:20pm
It was their lack of experience on the big stage that done for them. As soon as they went one down they threw the towel in and were only interested in kicking England.
Costa Rica looked very poor too, that game merely highlighted the point that international teams, even the best ones, struggle to break down ten men behind the ball when the early goal doesn't come and frustration sets in. The best teams seem to find it easier against sides that come out and play. France found it easier to play against Argentina than Belarus or Luxembourg, for example. An early goal for Brazil against Costa Rica would probably have led to a similar result.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
I should add that Russia looked great against similar standard opponents to Panama and Tunisia, nobody was touting them as potential winners and were shown up when they played a proper team. I would put England in the same bracket at this tournament.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:51pm
England can't defend and can't hold onto possession so they will always give the other team a chance.  With Kane in the team they always have a chance of getting a goal out of no where but you got to favour Colombia here as they are better defenders and better midfielders .  England have one midfielder on the pitch who runs around and gets tackles in. 
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:11pm
Sky's Paul "He can't handle it in the Premier League Jeff" Merson doesn't agree with most people's opinions that Colombia are a good team LOL

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:11pm
It really depends on who shows up. If Colombia play like they did against Senegal and England do as they did against Panama, England win. England play as they did against Tunisia and Colombia do as they did against Poland, Colombia win. The Japan and Belgium games effectively offset each other due to Sanchez's early red, and England playing a second string.

Kane is the difference in a tight game. He won't miss the Gazza v Germany '96 style chance. I also think England have various options to change a game, whereas Colombia would need to rely on Bacca in a tough situation.

I suspect the hyperbolic aspects of the British press are focusing on the poorer aspects of the Colombian efforts, and if they dig a little deeper I think they would be more circumspect, even though some of the results since 2014 have been less than stellar. The British fans i have met have certainly been wary and unwilling to accept the favourites tag.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:44pm
I don’t believe England are good enough to win it - Spain, Croatia, Uruguay, France and Brazil are all better than them.

Most ‘Normal’ English fans would agree. 

But in a table with Colombia/Sweden and Switzerland they would expect to top that which is reasonable. 
They have been very fortunate with the draw.

I would have them as 60/40 versus Colombia. The current odds are way off. If Colombia play like they did v Poland which James was excellent they will win.... I believe he is out which is a huge loss to them. It would be like England with no Kane.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:56pm
I would have the Swiss and Colombia ahead of England . 

England are experimenting as they go along. New formation for the tournament.  No centre backs who can actually defend . And no player who knows how to keep possession and a goalkeeper who is unproven at this level.  

They beat Tunisia and Panama both teams that Ireland would expect to get 4 points from.  

Edited by Baldrick - 01 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I don’t believe England are good enough to win it - Spain, Croatia, Uruguay, France and Brazil are all better than them.

Most ‘Normal’ English fans would agree. 

But in a table with Colombia/Sweden and Switzerland they would expect to top that which is reasonable. 
They have been very fortunate with the draw.

I would have them as 60/40 versus Colombia. The current odds are way off. If Colombia play like they did v Poland which James was excellent they will win.... I believe he is out which is a huge loss to them. It would be like England with no Kane.

No chance England will actually win this tournament.  They may progress to the semi final, but you would have to fancy Brazil, Uruguay, or France against them. The defence is very, very poor, and spends most of its life untested, due to general ability to qualify for tournaments, often from no mark groups. The goalkeeper Pickford makes many fan's teeth itch. I would actually think that apart from Wales in 2016, this is the first major test for England since Italy and Uruguay in the World Cup in 2014, especially as the Belgian game was a glorified friendly. England's quality at the moment is coming from the team spirit, but that will only go so far.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:04pm
My problem with the English side is my exact response in the other thread about how they're supposedly good.

What exactly have they done to be labelled good? They got a qualifiers full of minnows, they won a few friendlies, bare in mind England always win the pre-tournament friendlies, it's just the cycle of how it goes really, they scraped past Tunisia and beat Panama.

The last 24 months they've had the easy life of playing the likes of San Marino every qualifier so when it comes to actual big teams there's absolutely no indication what level England are actually at because it's been such a long time since they've played a big side in a competitive match.
You have to go back 4 years ago when they had Uruguay/Italy in the groups and failed miserably, Have they improved since? We don't actually know because they've played the likes of Estonia and San Marino non stop for the past 4 years.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:11pm
I would agree with ya Baldy. The Colombians were physically dominated by Senegal, something the English won't be as capable of.
I also think this Swiss are very underrated by many and easily dismissed out of hand, largely because they play in a very Swiss manner. They are well organised to the point of boredom, but they are also set up to get the best out of Shaqiri, something many of his club sides have struggled with.
I also wouldn't be so dismissive of Sweden who have a manager working miracles and have a wonderful unity in the squad, dismantling a seemingly far superior Mexico with ease.

Alan Shearer, for once, spoke some sense in his article on the BBC website, there is a first time for everything!

It also looks like Rodriguez will be fit as there is no tear, just excess fluid.

Edited by pre Madonna - 01 Jul 2018 at 2:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic