You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 Toulon Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:34pm
Believe Dennis Cirkin of Spurs turned down the opportunity to be involved. He's Dublin born but raised in England and has been playing internationally for them. 
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:36pm
Very promising squad. You would think some of these players could feature for the U19's in July.

Goalkeepers: Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Conor Kearns (UCD AFC).

Defenders: Darragh Leahy (Bohemians), Conor Masterson (Liverpool), Dara O’Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Liam Scales (UCD AFC), Lee O’Connor (Manchester United), Tyreke Wilson (Manchester City), Canice Carroll (Brentford).

Midfielders: Jayson Molumby (Brighton and Hove Albion), Conor Coventry (West Ham United), Jason Knight (Derby County), Connor Ronan (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Neil Farrugia (UCD AFC), Stephen Mallon (Sheffield United), Zach Elbouzedi (Waterford), Simon Power (Norwich City), Jack Taylor (Barnet), Jamie Lennon (St. Patrick’s Athletic).

Forwards: Adam Idah (Norwich City), Aaron Drinan (Ipswich Town, on loan at Waterford), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion).

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:39pm
the uefa u19's championship are in july so the lads in this squad can still play in Armenia if Tom Mohan needs them
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Some Jack Taylor lad from Barnet called up as well as Stephen Mallon of Sheffield Utd. 

Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Armstrong Oko-flex other notable omissions.   

Don't know why we keep talking about this lad when he doesn't seem too bothered with us.

He was walking around Celtic Park with a tri colour wrapped around himself the other day after Celtics win 🙄
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Some Jack Taylor lad from Barnet called up as well as Stephen Mallon of Sheffield Utd. 

Don't know why we keep talking about this lad when he doesn't seem too bothered with us.

He was walking around Celtic Park with a tri colour wrapped around himself the other day after Celtics win 🙄

Read on an English fan forum that they are now unsure if he was ever eligible for England in the first place due to his omission from their 17s squad. Residency rule is five years and it’s not clear if he was in England for five years.   

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Okoflex has never played a competitive game for England and has played at levels such as under-15s and 16s. 

Seeing as he now plays in Scotland he might not ever be eligible for England through residency. 

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:54pm
Yeah hes never played a competitive game for them. I reckon thats true as I dont think he was there a full 5 years
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:01pm

They were tricolours but not Irish flags as they had Celtic crests on them. I saw Karamoko Dembele with one too and he definitely (unfortunately) isn't eligible.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:02pm

Yeah hes never played a competitive game for them. I reckon thats true as I dont think he was there a full 5 years

I had a discussion with a few lads on here about his eligibility a good while back, no one seems to be able to nail down exactly Okoflex moved to England. 

He only turned 17 in March and has been at Celtic since September. 

Did he really move to Arsenal aged 11?

In my own opinion I reckon the Brits know he’s not eligible and are probably not too happy that he moved to Scotland meaning he can’t build up the five years. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:54pm

So was Karamoko Dembele tbf LOL
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:56pm
Still a very strong squad though, especially when you consider the amount of guys left out through injury etc.

Taylor is an interesting one, just looking on wikipedia and he has played over 80 games for them which is good going for a 20 year old. Interestingly he has a brother there who seems to be a regular too, and is only 1 year older.

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 May 2019 at 3:59pm
We're decent enough..
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:26pm
Why isn't ryan nolan in the squad? 
royal rover
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:47pm

That was Dembele and not Armstrong Oko-flex?

It's also possible it was the Ivory Coast flag too! considering his parents are from there and he's related to the Toure brothers too.

He's going to be some talent.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:55pm
Jack Taylor seems to be a new recruit.

He's English born - has he played for us at any level before? 
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I had a discussion with a few lads on here about his eligibility a good while back, no one seems to be able to nail down exactly Okoflex moved to England. 

In my own opinion I reckon the Brits know he’s not eligible and are probably not too happy that he moved to Scotland meaning he can’t build up the five years. 

Residency rule can only apply after a player reaches 18, of which they then have to live there continuously for 5 years.

If he was to stay in Scotland from now until he 23, he'd be eligible for them.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Residency rule can only apply after a player reaches 18, of which they then have to live there continuously for 5 years.

The UK associations operate off a different rule; they don't recognise "5 years of residency" as qualifying a player, but rather require "5 years of schooling" in the requisite jurisdiction. That's why the likes of Almunia and so on never became eligible for England. By that same token, Okoflex will never be eligible for Scotland, but he might be eligible for England depending on how long he attended school there.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

Why isn't ryan nolan in the squad? 

Inter Milan Primavera's season will still be ongoing in or around the time of the tournament I believe.
We're decent enough..
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:30pm

So on what basis was he eligible for England then?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The UK associations operate off a different rule; they don't recognise "5 years of residency" as qualifying a player, but rather require "5 years of schooling" in the requisite jurisdiction. That's why the likes of Almunia and so on never became eligible for England. By that same token, Okoflex will never be eligible for Scotland, but he might be eligible for England depending on how long he attended school there.

The Brit's have been debating this since Okoflex and a few others were not named in their squad for competitive under-17s games.

There are several players in their under-15/16 teams who have been schooled in England for 2-4 years and are on the verge of being eligible for competitive games.

As you said, some of these lads will never actually ever become eligible for England, as they may move abroad before they reach five school years.

There's a decent chance that Okoflex hasn't met the five school years I think. He left for Scotland in September for a start - which rules out last year as counting, and it's probably likely he left Dublin half way through a term.

If he moved over in 2013, there's every chance that years 2013 and 2018 don't count as they wouldn't have been full years.

Anyone know when exactly he moved over? 

EDIT: According to Brits forum, he moved to Arsenal from Kevins in November of 2013.

Very likely he isn't eligible for them. 

Edited by Maccatacca - 21 May 2019 at 5:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic