Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019/2020 English League Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:31pm
League Cup is miles better than the FA Cup.   I actually think the big teams treat it more seriously too.

January is an awful month.  Teams don't want games unless they are important.  The 3rd round of the FA Cup against some lower league team is a total nuisance to big teams and will field a schmuck team and rest their entire 1st choice team or maybe give a lad who needs game time a run out.  It's nothing more than an inconvenient friendly. It's not considered important.  However a league cup semi final in January is an incentive to field a strong team and is seen as important.  You are in the hunt for the trophy and the midweek under the lights games have a great atmosphere compared to the forced atmosphere the BBC try to make out is there for a cold grey windswept Saturday afternoon as Colchester play Man Utd's kids. The League Cup by January also tends to have the big teams left in it and so rivalry also forces managers hands in playing a 1st choice team. 

The League Cup seems nice and short.  Before you know it its the semi finals.  The FA Cup is long and tediously drawn out or so it feels anyway with arduous replays and fixture congestion making it a pain for clubs.

So to sum up:

League Cup > FA Cup
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:45pm
You play 5 games in the league cup and same in the FA cup to reach the final.

But the FA cup feels longer! 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Easier to avoid the League Cup early rounds midweek, FA Cup early rounds ruin weekends
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:28pm
You play a *minimum* of five games to reach the FA Cup final, because of the time consuming replays. The League Cup also feels like it "fills up" midweeks, whereas the FA Cup feels like it "steals" weekends.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Villa played 6.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I'm surprised the Manc Derby isn't a sell out tonight.

I'm not. The last one wasn't at Old Trafford, and City are more renowned for empty seats
Its the last week of January also, long time since pay day, and City have had a lot of games recently.

Speaking of empty seats. The seats from Maine Road are after going to Bride Rovers in Cork. They are still in use 20 years later.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

League Cup is miles better than the FA Cup.   I actually think the big teams treat it more seriously too.

January is an awful month.  The 3rd round of the FA Cup against some lower league team is a total nuisance to big teams 
League Cup > FA Cup

But it's okay to put the 1st round before the even season begun and the 2nd round just after matchday 1 for EFL sides which means they get 4 games in 10 days to start the season off? And don't get me started with the Checkatrade/Johnstone Paint Trophy whatever it's called nowadays right after that.

It's the exact same problem the FA Cup has but it doesn't get mentioned because it doesn't involve the Premier League sides so it's a non-issue to the masses except the lower league fans.

To summarise - Both cups are sh*te.

Edited by coyne - 29 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
That was sh*te tonight, and embarrassing losing to that United team again.

Some incredible misses by Sterling and Silva, a few goals ruled out rightly for offside, and some wrong choices taken in the final third, but overall I thought City were pretty flat. United never really had a clear chance bar the goal but it still made for a nervy game and you always felt they could threaten.

Best I've seen Maguire play for United yet.
Thought Sterling did a lot right, he got the better of AWB several times but as always against United his finishing let him down.
Strange line up with a back 3 of Walker Otamendi and Cancelo. Cancelo was decent in flashes going forward and Walker probably one of the better City performers again.

Hopefully a game that'll be forgotten quickly if City go on to win the final, but they wouldn't be worrying Real Madrid with that showing tonight against a poor United side.

Sky may as well have had Fanzone back tonight with Tyler and Neville on commentary. Willing the ball into the net all second half
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm
true Baggio it was piss poor alright.city started brightly enough but you just can’t tell which way it’ll go with this current city side.i do think a large part of the flatness was the upcoming games and in part the job was well done 3 weeks ago...still not scoring against that Utd team is a worry.

Sterling didn’t do enough for me tonight..a lot of his play was very lazy and I think he didn’t give AWB enough of a hard time.i suppose he can be aloud a dip in form from the start of the season but he’s a player we need to start firing again in some big games ahead.dont agree about cancelo,he has a tendency to pass the ball backwards a lot and he looks like he always has a mistake in him,a lot will depend on mendys form if he stays at city.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:53pm
Cancelo isn’t a left back, I’ve seen enough of him to know that 

Whether he can get the right back spot or not off Walker in the next year or so will decide on whether he stays at city I’d say 

I didn’t like that formation Pep played tonight, trying to be too fancy. There was no need to change things 

What would your first choice City team be, say for the Real Madrid game? 

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:03am
thing is cancelo has been as bad (for me ) on both sides....on the left he’s behind zinchenko,mendy on the right walker,Angelino...so he’s much the bit part player.

I don’t think real are the force they were and like I said before I strangely fancy us to get to the final(if we avoid Liverpool).
I’d go with:        Ederson
Walker.  Laporte. Ferindino. Zinchenko

Sterling. Rodri. D.silva. B.silva
                    Kdb 
                  Aguero 

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:45am
I'd go for Mahrez or else an extra body in midfield in Gundogan ahead of David Silva at the minute.
Left back is a tricky one, at his best Mendy is easily the best option there, but Zinchenko is maybe a safer option, even if he is a bit weak defensively himself at times.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:31pm
Aguero and Sterling back for the final tomorrow?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:20pm
I’d expect both to start yes 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:21pm
They should hold this on a Wed night under the lights. Don't like cup finals on weekends.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

They should hold this on a Wed night under the lights. Don't like cup finals on weekends.
 Big smileBig smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
 Man City: Bravo, Walker, Stones, Fernandinho, Zinchenko, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Foden, D Silva, Sterling, Aguero. 

Subs: Ederson, G Jesus, De Bruyne, Bernardo, Mendy, Mahrez, Otamendi.

That’s some bench.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm
 Aston Villa: Nyland, Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett, Douglas Luiz, Nakamba, Elmohamady, Grealish, El Ghazi, Samatta.

Subs: Reina, Konsa, Taylor, Hourihane, Lansbury, Trezeguet, Davis.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic