Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2018 Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Would I be correct in saying Burke is the first LOI footballer to be called up to a senior Ireland squad since Joe Gamble in 2007?

Correct. You took a punt on that, good guess.

Was Horgan not still technically at Dundalk when was in the squads 

I don't know, I just wanted to use the Gamble and punt pun

Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would I be correct in saying Burke is the first LOI footballer to be called up to a senior Ireland squad since Joe Gamble in 2007?

Correct. You took a punt on that, good guess.

Joe Murphy was at Bohs and made the bench for THAT game in Paris 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:24pm

Gary Rodgers was in the squad at the away game against serbia I think.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:25pm
Boyle and Horgan were called up whilst playing for Dundalk.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

love seeing O’Malley, Lawlor, Burke and Robinson in there 

im delighted burke is included, aaron mceneff from derry might also have got a call. burke and himself have been the standout players in the league. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Gary Rodgers was in the squad at the away game against serbia I think.

Yeah he was alright, would have been the first ever player from Meath to play for Ireland
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:40pm
Glad to see a wide squad. We need everybody to stake a claim and this is the best way to do it.

I'd actually like to see the French game used as a warm up for the qualifiers, with a full strength team on the park, which I currently in the running to start the Nations League games, with the USA game a bit of a trial run.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:52pm
Very youthful squad, I don’t think our dearth of strikers is anywhere near as bad as first feared.

Maguire, Hogan and Robinson all have the potential to move up a level within the next season or two. 

O’Brien will probably make a decent career as a championship player but also has time on his side, and while I haven’t seen too much of Burke in the LOI this season, I can’t see why we shouldn’t give him a run in the Celtic game, with a view to giving him a chance vs USA.

The France game should be as close to full strength as possible, we don’t want to get hammered 4/5-0 which could happen if we play experimental back lines and a midfield full of players out of position. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 1:57pm
Although the squad numbers are inflated, it's great recognition for Burke. By far, from a technical perspective at least, the best player in the league.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:04pm
Burke is only 24 ... seems like one of those players who has been around for years
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Burke is only 24 ... seems like one of those players who has been around for years

Read somewhere that himself and Callum Robinson had a good partnership for Villa at underage level. 

Burke, Robinson and Grealish were arguably Villa’s three best youth prospects about five years ago, if someone had of told me that Burke and Robinson would be playing for Ireland one day and not Grealish, I’d of found it hard to believe. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:35pm
Might it have been worth throwing Ogbene in as number 41/instead of one of the keepers? Could well have pushed him in our direction rather than Nigeria; no chance they'd have called him up prior to the WC but they may well do after...
We're decent enough..
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:05pm
Was Burkey at Villa when O'Neill was boss there?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:10pm
Yeah, Ogbene might have been worth the nod alright, given the size of the squad.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

[QUOTE=lassassinblanc]Burke is only 24 ... seems like one of those players who has been around for years

Read somewhere that himself and Callum Robinson had a good partnership for Villa at underage level. 

Burke, Robinson and Grealish were arguably Villa’s three best youth prospects about five years ago, if someone had of told me that Burke and Robinson would be playing for Ireland one day and not Grealish, I’d of found it hard to believe. 

Hard to believe Jack Grealish was one of the longest running sagas on Ybig and since the saga ended he has done feck all and I cant see him doing much at international level ever 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

[QUOTE=lassassinblanc]Burke is only 24 ... seems like one of those players who has been around for years

Hard to believe Jack Grealish was one of the longest running sagas on Ybig and since the saga ended he has done feck all and I cant see him doing much at international level ever 
I'm telling you he would be our top attacking player now had we kept hold of him.
He would be and ideal replacement for Wes with his legs being 15 years younger.
An awful loss
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

If you think Grealish has done feck all, you haven’t watched him play this season. He’s been excellent
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:07pm
FAI site has a 8.08 kick off for game with US. This right ? I presume for US 📺..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic