You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Got to say I love Roddy's attitude, refreshing to hear a manager speak with confidence rather than the usual cliche patter.

Don’t settle for second best!

Published: 27 December 2013

Picture credit: Brian Lawless / SPORTSFILE

BRANDYWELL boss, Roddy Collins, has made an appeal to everyone associated with Derry City Football Club asking them: “Not to settle for second best!”

And having spent quite a few hours over Christmas watching matches from last season on DVD, Collins insisted that the talent currently employed at the Brandywell must be the envy of so many of the other top clubs.

The Dubliner has continued to speak with potential recruits and with so many players having given him the ‘thumbs up,’ he believes the future was bright, just like Christmas “it’s red and white!” he laughed.

Having spoken regularly to former Sligo Rovers boss, Paul Cook, who now holds the managerial reins at League Two side, Chesterfield, Collins was given a real boost.

“It’s just that the players andmanagers I’ve spoken to remain upbeat when I mention Derry City,” he said.

“I think people realise that the club plays football the way it should be played and having then watched so many DVD’s of matches from last season, I have to admit, it’s really has given me a great buzz.”

“I’ve continued to speak to players and while I’ve openly said that we don’t need too many new faces, a few experienced heads in the right areas would be excellent,” he added.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas period and I honestly can’t wait to get started in pre-season.

“I will have a few players over to have a good look at them and I always want to run my eyes over our own players on the training ground.”

While acknowledging the fact that the nucleus of a decent team was in place before he arrived, he asked his players and, indeed, supporters not to settle for second best any longer.

“Let’s us make a New Year’s Resolution that we’re not going to settle for second best,” declared the Dubliner.

“I think it’s vitally important that players believe in themselves as the squad that’s in place in my view, will challenge at the business end of the table.

“I’m not going to make any predictions at this stage, but if I can get three, four or even five experienced players, then I do believe this club will become a force.”

And he dismissed suggestions that a top four finish would prove to be acceptable in his first year in charge on Foyleside.

“Shamrock Rovers have flattered to deceived over recents. They’ve now got a second team in the First Division which is absolutely amazing,” he remarked. “St. Pat’s have added Mark Quigley. I don’t fancy him while Keith Fahy has returned and he hasn’t played in over a year, so that’s interesting. “I think Cork City, under a new manager, will face a period of transition as will Drogheda while Sligo have been forced into cuts in their budget.

“Dundalk were the surprise packages from last season and every other team will be fully aware of their credentials this season, so really what have Derry City got to fear?” he asked. “The majority of last year’s squad remains in place and the younger players are now another year more experienced. That can’t be bad.

“I will be asking the players to arrive for work with a smile on their face. Enjoy their training and give me 100 per cent on the pitch. That’s all I can ask of them, do that and I’ll worry about the results,” he continued. “I don’t believe any team will run away with the league title, it will be won over the final six games of the season so the key is, obviously, to remain within touching distance.

“I promise that I will give 100 per cent and I can assure the players that if they remain loyal and do as I ask then we will all improve.”

You might remember another fairytale from your youth "The Emperors new clothes".

I wont ruin the ending on you.........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 4:41pm
I'm well aware that this has the potential to go tits up (same as most new appointments) but until we see otherwise we are right behind Roddy. I'm glad that he is coming in with this attitude though because a number of our players to hear this stuff and start living the correct way and begin to believe that we can compete. He has talked the talk now he'll have to walk the walk.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 8:24pm
Roddy getting players to live the right way? That will be interesting.

He could serve you a sh*te in a bap and you would be delighted. This is going to be hilarious
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

He could serve you a sh*te in a bap and you would be delighted. This is going to be hilarious

It clearly states in my post to Cabra Hoop above:

" He has talked the talk now he'll have to walk the walk." If he isn't up to the job and results aren't good I'll have no problem admitting it. At the moment all I am saying is that his attitude is a breath of fresh air, I'm looking forward to the first game now, where do ye lads play this weather?

Edited by Stillhuntinghenry - 30 Dec 2013 at 8:31pm
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 10:38pm

" He has talked the talk now he'll have to walk the walk." If he isn't up to the job and results aren't good I'll have no problem admitting it. At the moment all I am saying is that his attitude is a breath of fresh air, I'm looking forward to the first game now, where do ye lads play this weather?

I'll give you a clue, the only place Derry Newco have played us in Dublin
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 10:34am

" He has talked the talk now he'll have to walk the walk." If he isn't up to the job and results aren't good I'll have no problem admitting it. At the moment all I am saying is that his attitude is a breath of fresh air,

Its the same cliche ridden fresh air he always spouts. You pointedly missed the 'I need 5 players to compete' cop out clause in there. If he doesn't get his budget for these players its the boards fault he failed. The fact you can't see history repeating itself...

I'm looking forward to the first game now, where do ye lads play this weather?

The same place we have always played your Newco.

And while we are at it, do Rovers and Derry not have identical municipal stadium arrangments? What a dullard you are.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 10:56am

" He has talked the talk now he'll have to walk the walk." If he isn't up to the job and results aren't good I'll have no problem admitting it. At the moment all I am saying is that his attitude is a breath of fresh air,

Its the same cliche ridden fresh air he always spouts. You pointedly missed the 'I need 5 players to compete' cop out clause in there. If he doesn't get his budget for these players its the boards fault he failed. The fact you can't see history repeating itself...

I'm looking forward to the first game now, where do ye lads play this weather?

The same place we have always played your Newco.

And while we are at it, do Rovers and Derry not have identical municipal stadium arrangments? What a dullard you are.

But he's right he does need 5 players but it's only to replace the ones he's let go mainly. Ruadhri Higgins and David Mcdaid were released last week and I understand that Kevin Deery will not be offered a new contract. Dean Jarvis is out of contract and having trials in GB, Osbourne wasn't offered a new contract, rafter has joined cork, madden has join you lot, Stewart Graecen has joijed some pub side in Scotland.

That's 8 out and we have brought 3 in, he needs at least 5 bodies and it won't effect the budget as he had removed some of out top earners above.

The stadium joke was tongue in cheek but obviously over your head ya headbanger
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:11pm
talk about obsessed...

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
OldBawnHoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

talk about obsessed...

Yes, yes you are...
benboview View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benboview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:33am
Listening to Second Captains football podcast earlier.

There was a look back of the 2013 year with Richie Sadlier and Dion Fanning.

Question was what were the 3 most entertaining games they had been to all year. DING DING DING...the FAI Cup Final. Maybe Fanning was not at the game but I remember Sadlier working for RTE that day. Surely to god it must have been up there.

Was it not as good a game as I remember, or did the finale gloss over a poor game?

Edited by benboview - 03 Jan 2014 at 1:34am
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:31am
I thought the finale glossed over a poor game myself. Maybe cause we were losing for most of it mind. 
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:30pm
I haven't heard the show so don't know the full background/criteria but as a neutral it was a very enjoyable game to watch. If it was the FA Cup final we probably would have been told it was one of the best ever for the excitement alone, leaving aside the quality of the 90 mins
skinnymalinx View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinnymalinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:29pm
You would have to factor in the evidence that dion fanning is one of the most clueless individual's drawing a wage with the 4th estate.

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by skinnymalinx skinnymalinx wrote:

You would have to factor in the evidence that dion fanning is one of the most clueless individual's drawing a wage with the 4th estate.

Truer words were never spoken. Anyone who pays the slightest attention to that Harris/Fanning incestuous rag deserves to be put down with a captive bolt.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 5:23pm
I see cork have appointed john dunleavey as captain for this season. Good see him doing well after having such terrible luck when over ay wolves. Know him well and hope he continues to improve still young enough to get another move across the water
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
D5Hoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D5Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:09pm
Alan Matthews new bray manager
SRFC Dublin.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:32pm
Shocked. Mathews is everything Bray is not. He is like the Anti-Bray.
Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:41pm
Made even worse by them losing Jason Byrne & Marty Waters. Have to be odds on favourites for relegation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic