Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 v 2016 Euro Preparations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 v 2016 Euro Preparations
    Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:38pm
I have heard criticisms of the Euro 2012 build up. Namely being isolated away from their family for too long, training too hard, the boredom, no nights out, the accommodation in Sopot.

I have heard some players say 'the Irish are different' and need a night out.  Sure even your bog standard GAA club players dont touch drink for weeks on end before a match.

Why is this 'night out' so important for the national team??

Duff reckons O'Neill will allow the players have ''a few drinks'' (we know that means about 7 or 8).  I wonder how Roy Keane will react given the last time he was involved and the Irish team were going out on the piss in Saipan.

Personally I can't understand this need for a piss up.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm
Sure in Italia 90 the lads were given a hour or two of Guinness a few days beofore the quarter final in Rome. Aldo said it lifted the anxiety from the camp before such a big game and lifted morale big time. Think Stan said the Italian security staff with the team couldn't believe it and thought the Italians would win 5-0 LOL 
skoda View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 2:18pm
26 years ago since Italy 90, different era, There should be no beer whatsoever once they arrive in France, just to stay rehydrated with the heat will be hard enough for God sake.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Sure in Italia 90 the lads were given a hour or two of Guinness a few days beofore the quarter final in Rome. Aldo said it lifted the anxiety from the camp before such a big game and lifted morale big time. Think Stan said the Italian security staff with the team couldn't believe it and thought the Italians would win 5-0 LOL 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 3:35pm
I'd see no issue with the players having a glass of wine or a bottle of beer with their dinner a few days before a game but this whole allowing them nights out is silly. As you pointed out TJ, gaa players go weeks on end without beer. My own club a few years back went between 7 to 9 weeks off it. Typical Irish attitude to even bring alcohol into it 😩 I'm sure there are cinemas, nice restaurants, ps4s and Xboxs etc all available near by.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:34pm
Irish people can't have 1 beer or 1 glass of wine though.
We are f**king piss heads.

No matter what approach the manager has it will be criticized. You have an alcohol ban and you approach the Euro's like the Germans or Italians and the players are bored. You let them relax and have a few beers and let them shag their wifes and it's an unprofessional approach.

Each player will have their own opinion too on the matter, you're not going to please everyone.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
In 2012 Trap had the guts of the squad together for a month before the euros. It was a ridiculous. You can imagine how boring it was, a lot of players were tired too after a long season.

- Week long training sessions in Dublin.

- A friendly v Bosnia at home.

- Pre training camps in Italy, for his and Marcos convenience.

- An away friendly v Hungary 5 days before the Croatia game.

- The tournament itself.

It was all a bit of a shambles too, as pointed out.. the base/hotels in Sopot and that.

I think O'Neill is going about it the right way. A friendly in Dublin, then a quick training camp in Cork where the players can go home to their families and relax a bit in between. Then having the base in a quite town like Versailles.

As for nights out, mad stuff. Its 2 weeks of their lives. A beer or wine with dinner is grand but a night out is out of order.

Bradyesque View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradyesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Irish people can't have 1 beer or 1 glass of wine though.
We are f**king piss heads.

No matter what approach the manager has it will be criticized. You have an alcohol ban and you approach the Euro's like the Germans or Italians and the players are bored. You let them relax and have a few beers and let them shag their wifes and it's an unprofessional approach.

Each player will have their own opinion too on the matter, you're not going to please everyone.

This. Boils my blood, why can't we take the same professional approach Germany or France take? Or every other country at the Euro's take?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:48pm
Because we come from a different culture.

What works for Germany may not work for Italy or France. It's about finding that balance, and that in itself is a difficult task.

As I said you are not going to please everyone.

You just need to listen to Duff the other day about the Euro's.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

In 2012 Trap had the guts of the squad together for a month before the euros. It was a ridiculous. You can imagine how boring it was, a lot of players were tired too after a long season.

- The tournament itself.

It was all a bit of a shambles too, as pointed out.. the base/hotels in Sopot and that.

I think O'Neill is going about it the right way. A friendly in Dublin, then a quick training camp in Cork where the players can go home to their families and relax a bit in between. Then having the base in a quite town like Versailles.

As for nights out, mad stuff. Its 2 weeks of their lives. A beer or wine with dinner is grand but a night out is out of order.

The approach above would be pretty much identical to any other country's approach.

Ireland were 14 games unbeaten going to the Euro's too.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:00pm

- The tournament itself.

Can you point out what was wrong with that approach?  These are pro footballers trying to peak physically and mentally for a major finals. You would actually think they would want to be disciplined. The Irish players seem to have an attitude whereby they are like a group of schoolkids going on an foreign school trip and looking for every opportunity to break the rules and get up to mischief.
You would seriously have to question players mindsets if they cant go a month without beer and hanging out with the wife and kids.

They were trained hard. Sure isn't that what being a pro athlete is about????

The only criticism that is justified is the hotel in Sopot. They didn't foresee the amount of fans that would be swamped around the town which was an oversight.

This time around the players will still be together for a month.  They don't need alcohol to stave off boredom. Some of these lads are very unprofessional. There are amateur sportsmen who are more disciplined.

Wasn't it in 2002 where the whole country was criticising the approach of having a piss up and BBQ's in Saipan and treating it like a holiday?  Wasn't it Roy Keane who answered ''it's the world cup finals, of course you're here to train hard'' when the goalkeepers said they were tired?

Why have we swung back the other way again?  What is wrong with these players?

Brian Kerr used to take a very professional approach and do dvd's for the players on the opposition and the players didnt bother watching them and found it all a bit fussy. They said he sapped the craic out of the team.

Some of these lads would want to cop on to themselves.

Bradyesque View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradyesque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

- The tournament itself.

Can you point out what was wrong with that approach?  These are pro footballers trying to peak physically and mentally for a major finals. You would actually think they would want to be disciplined. The Irish players seem to have an attitude whereby they are like a group of schoolkids going on an foreign school trip and looking for every opportunity to break the rules and get up to mischief.
You would seriously have to question players mindsets if they cant go a month without beer and hanging out with the wife and kids.

They were trained hard. Sure isn't that what being a pro athlete is about????

The only criticism that is justified is the hotel in Sopot. They didn't foresee the amount of fans that would be swamped around the town which was an oversight.

This time around the players will still be together for a month.  They don't need alcohol to stave off boredom. Some of these lads are very unprofessional. There are amateur sportsmen who are more disciplined.

Wasn't it in 2002 where the whole country was criticising the approach of having a piss up and BBQ's in Saipan and treating it like a holiday?  Wasn't it Roy Keane who answered ''it's the world cup finals, of course you're here to train hard'' when the goalkeepers said they were tired?

Why have we swung back the other way again?  What is wrong with these players?

Brian Kerr used to take a very professional approach and do dvd's for the players on the opposition and the players didnt bother watching them and found it all a bit fussy. They said he sapped the craic out of the team.

Some of these lads would want to cop on to themselves.

Well said mate. I really do hope Roy Keane, as well as MON prevent this sh*te
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:52pm
If they need to go for a few drinks during the tournament as a release from the pressure then they will absolutely crumble under the pressure when the Semi's or Finals come along.

Football has a crazed hypochondriatic fear of "Pressure".
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

If they need to go for a few drinks during the tournament as a release from the pressure then they will absolutely crumble under the pressure when the Semi's or Finals come along.

Football has a crazed hypochondriatic fear of "Pressure".

Great point.  To be a top sportsman you need to love pressure and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

richie_os View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richie_os Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:13pm
I think it's quite clear to see what the differences are between Traps preparations and the way the team are now. 

I see a greater sense of camaraderie with the current bunch as you saw with the celebrations after we qualified and the friendships which have developed within the team. I think when the team are at home in Ireland together, it would be fine for them to have a bit of a night out with 3-5 pints each as a team building excercise. It would be long gone from their systems upon landing in France and if it helps the team unity, so be it. I disagree with letting them run riot and having a holiday in France but you can let them have a certain amount of freedom without going overboard.

Apparantley Trap didn't even vary his training sessions from day today. It sounded like a prison team, I feel positive about how MON will handle the preparations for these and the team spirit going into the tournament.
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

I think it's quite clear to see what the differences are between Traps preparations and the way the team are now. 

I see a greater sense of camaraderie with the current bunch as you saw with the celebrations after we qualified and the friendships which have developed within the team. I think when the team are at home in Ireland together, it would be fine for them to have a bit of a night out with 3-5 pints each as a team building excercise. It would be long gone from their systems upon landing in France and if it helps the team unity, so be it. I disagree with letting them run riot and having a holiday in France but you can let them have a certain amount of freedom without going overboard.

Apparantley Trap didn't even vary his training sessions from day today. It sounded like a prison team, I feel positive about how MON will handle the preparations for these and the team spirit going into the tournament.

Did you go to different training sessions under MON and Trap to come to that conclusion?

If so, how many training sessions of each did you see.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
richie_os View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richie_os Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by richie_os richie_os wrote:

Did you go to different training sessions under MON and Trap to come to that conclusion?

If so, how many training sessions of each did you see.

Im basing it on first hand accounts of their experience from the likes of Stephen Hunt and then Kevin Kilbane who had previously played under him and had many friends within the squad.
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:58pm
Your post doesn't make much sense. Your initial comment looks to me as if you are having a pop at Trap for the sake of it.

Robbie Keane has always spoken to very highly of Trap, both Hunt and Kilbane ended not getting picked by Trap so might be a bit pissed which is understandable.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic