You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Tier EPL to include an Irish francise???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Tier EPL to include an Irish francise???
    Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 4:17am

Old Firm switch up for discussion

Nacho%20Novo%20and%20Aiden%20McGeady%20battle%20for%20the%20ball
Celtic and Rangers would be invited to join the second-tier league

Proposals to accept Glasgow rivals Celtic and Rangers into an expanded Premier League will be put forward for consideration this week.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside will pitch plans for a two-tier league of between 36 and 40 teams on Thursday.

It is understood there would be a top tier of 18 clubs, with promotion and relegation to and from the league.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp have backed the inclusion of the Scottish clubs.

Former Celtic manager O'Neill told BBC Radio 5 live: "I would like to see both teams in the Premier League. I think it would make the Premier League even stronger.

"I've been there, Celtic is just an unbelievable football club and Rangers also.

I would welcome Celtic and Rangers to English football if they wanted to play down here
Harry Redknapp

"I don't think for one minute the likes of ourselves, Aston Villa, would sit back and think 'well that's it', or just give up. I think all clubs would try and get stronger because of it."

Redknapp told the Daily Record: "I would welcome Celtic and Rangers to English football if they wanted to play down here.

"No doubt about it, I'm sure they would be good for the English game."

The proposals are a revival of Gartside's ideas which received a hostile reception from the Premier League's 20 chairmen six months ago.

However, Gartside, the driving force behind the revamp, has tweaked the original plans to include promotion and relegation to and from the dual-tier league, while the two Scottish clubs would initially be invited to join the lower tier.

The Bolton chairman is also believed to be open to inviting an Irish franchise into the league in the future.

Former Birmingham City chairman David Gold told BBC Radio 5 live that the Premier League needed "new thinking, new proposals, new ideas" to "save itself from itself".

However, Stoke owner Peter Coates said there was no need to change a league which was already an "enormous success".

"There is no indication that it [the Premier League] needs Rangers and Celtic to take it further," he said.

And BBC Sport's Dan Roan said the proposals would represent a "radical overhaul" of the pyramid structure.

"Gartside is one of the most powerful men in the English game," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"He's one of the longest-serving chairman in the Premier League, a man who sits on the FA board, one of just three professional representatives on the FA board, so I think it's fair to say that it's a serious proposal and deserves to be listened to."

Would be very bad for the domestic game here if there was a team from Ireland competing in the English league system

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 4:26am
f**k off Gartside we already have our own league
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 7:28am
he can f**k right off, he hasnt a clue about irish football and the damage it would do to our domestic league

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 7:33am
LOI would be dead if this happened
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 7:40am
Reckon it'd be blocked. FAI blocked Wimbledon coming here all those years ago. Reckon they'd get the government behind them to stop them too. But you never know, they could play out of the North or something like that
OldBawnHoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBawnHoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:02am
Didn't Bertie want this to happen years ago? Mightve been someone else
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:11am
Won't happen......
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 9:30am
an irish franchaise WTF as said by andy was mentioned years ago with wimbledon never happened , if it did go ahead anyone who supported this franchaise **** would get death threats in there mail from me
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:13pm
for this to happen the fai would have to approve. it will not ever happen
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 6:05pm
This has Torpedo Fingal written all over it. It would give me something to do during the winter. I would be in the away section every week

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 9:18am
Celtic and Rangers have been rejected so it's grand!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic