Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15th Anniversary Rep. Ire V England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 6:52am
Was in the South Terrrace with my dad and brother. After it kicked off I remeber lads crowd surfing down to front to try to at the english. We must of stayed at least 30min after the game was abandoned. I'll never forget the cheer when the riot squad finally moved in and started hitting anything and everything.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 7:12am
Was 9 years of age on the north terrace, remember it being so packed in the terrace and I couln't see at the start before some auld fella said to me Da to move up to him and they put me sitting on one of the steel bars. Had a great view of the match and the riot then. Was a ibt of a worry when we were leaving as people were crushing a bit.

Remember getting back to the car and the amount of Garda with the sirons blazzing was unbelievable. Remember getting home and watching on the news with me Da and the garda giving them a good baiting. I still have great enjoyment watching them battering the English. Say the garda involved look back on it with fond memories too .

Apparently the Garda knew there was a serious threat but didn't act on it properly. Think the head of the gaurds came into some serious sh*t after and may have lost his position too.

Would love to get them back though, even for a 'friendly'
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:04am

Was also in the South Terrace, myself and my Mate brought a bottle of Pernod and Creme De Menthe into the game.

Still both in School, cant remember who's parents drinks cabinet was robbed for them. I remember there was alot of trouble on the buses to the game. Seen many a bloodied English Fan. Some clown got on our bus and started singing no Surrender on his own.

Some lad just headbutted him and when he hit the ground all the young lads on the back of the bus did a job on him.

There was lots of trouble before David Kelly Goal, it just intensified after that.  We were on the pitch not long after the game was abandoned.

Our empty bottle of Pernod hopefully found its target amoungst the English Fans( i dont condone football violence)But it was a strange night.

Made worse that i had to travel back to Tipp that night and my mom made me go to school very hungover in puke stained trainers....

But overall the garda were very badly organised on the night.  

Edited by Stretchryan - 12 Feb 2010 at 8:05am
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:22am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Would there ever be such a thing? Apparently the FAI had England lined up for the first game at the new Landsdowne!

Luckily, I missed the 1995 minute game having to sacrifice my tickets as I had a gig. Watched it on TV though and I'll always remember the BBC newsman describing the Gardai as 'uncomprimising' Like most, I don't condone violence at footy games, but ya couldn't but admire the guards that night, even if they did make a fcuk up over the organisation along with the FAI who put the English fans in the West Upper rather than down at ground level.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Would there ever be such a thing? Apparently the FAI had England lined up for the first game at the new Landsdowne!

Luckily, I missed the 1995 minute game having to sacrifice my tickets as I had a gig. Watched it on TV though and I'll always remember the BBC newsman describing the Gardai as 'uncomprimising' Like most, I don't condone violence at footy games, but ya couldn't but admire the guards that night, even if they did make a fcuk up over the organisation along with the FAI who put the English fans in the West Upper rather than down at ground level.

They shoulda got no tickets, it was supposed to be a "Thank You" to the Irish fans.  Anyone who was at Euro 88 and/or Italia 90 knew there'd be trouble and the preparation for the arrival of the coonts was totally non-existent.   There's a Govt report about it somewhere and it was featured on Scannal a couple of years back as well, incompetence is too kind a word for the FAI and Gardaí on the whole episode.  Thanks a fookin bunch.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:17am
Was sittin in the east upper stand and had perfect view of it all, remember when David Kelly scored, I could clearly see a big group of english thugs layin into some innocent irish fans sittin close to them in the west upper stand and a tri color being thrown down from the stand, could tell then it was gonna kick off bad and a few minutes later it did.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:53am
Remember big Jack that night was really ashamed... You have to be fair to him, he is an Englishman. That hit him hard I'm sure.

Lets hope we never see anything remotely like that again in this country.

We would have beaten them ***ts too!!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 10:01am
I watched it in a pub in London.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Remember big Jack that night was really ashamed... You have to be fair to him, he is an Englishman. That hit him hard I'm sure.

Lets hope we never see anything remotely like that again in this country.

We would have beaten them ***ts too!!

Thats the worst part, I have no doubt we were gonna hammer them that night
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
giotrap View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giotrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:42pm
Was in the South Terrace for it too. £2 ticket! Amazing atmosphere that night before it all kicked off.
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:47pm
Was at the game. As is my wont I arrived early and waited to get into the ground outside the DART station. Opposite me was a single thug in an England shirt walking up and down the passing Irish fans yelling "Irish pigs", Irish scum" and the rest. As ever they ignored him which was a good thing as there was a group of about 20 English pr!cks waiting by the wall near the level crossing waiting to pounce. The Gardi were nowhere in sight but I have to say this. These scum (I refuse to call them fans) were treated well by the stewards and the Gardi and it just goes to show that no matter what the authorties did these f**kers were out to cause trouble. Some other notes. 1. The match was not given full international status by the English FA and there was doubts about the FAI listing it as official. Why? I have always put it down as a full international with caps awarded and David Kelly's goal count to include this game. Why deny the players caps just because of scumbags? 2. When the Gardi did their stuff (God bless them!) and then arrested the ringleaders they were quickly booted out of the country. Why? They were criminals and should have been tried as such. Put them in Mountjoy for a year or so and we'd see who'd squeel like a pig. 3. The scum that cause the trouble were not the preconceived idea of the England fan (Working class from deprived areas) but rather if memory serves Stock brokers and high profile jobbers. 4. It's one hell of a walk back from Lansdowne Road to Raheny.
There are friendlier places to drink.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

3. The scum that cause the trouble were not the preconceived idea of the England fan (Working class from deprived areas) but rather if memory serves Stock brokers and high profile jobbers. 4. It's one hell of a walk back from Lansdowne Road to Raheny.

That was the amazing thing too. Completely agree, should have been fcuking jailed the dirtbags.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Tommy Johnson View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:49pm
Member it facking well maaate. Me and the boys gorroff the boat at Dun Laoghaire and we met up with a few of the Shamrock Rovas boys. Had a right knees up, ran them all over the pier. Then we got on the train and ran into Shamrock Rovas fans, facking carnage all ova the place. Went into the city to have a quick pint and a line then we ran into the Shamrock Rovas mob. Some geeza called Top Boy was running the Irish end of the operation. Cant believe he didnt get nominated in the annual hoolies award although it was a great year that year. Then we went to the ground and ran into more of the Shamrock Rovas mob, we facked them up good. The ground was pretty good for ripping up, top marks for the people who run the ground. Smashed the train up on the way home and then spotted the same Shamrock Rovas crowd from earlier, facking hell we ran the all over the souf pier.

Great day altogether
You facking mug!
Millwall Fred View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millwall Fred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Tommy Johnson Tommy Johnson wrote:

Member it facking well maaate. Me and the boys gorroff the boat at Dun Laoghaire and we met up with a few of the Shamrock Rovas boys. Had a right knees up, ran them all over the pier. Then we got on the train and ran into Shamrock Rovas fans, facking carnage all ova the place. Went into the city to have a quick pint and a line then we ran into the Shamrock Rovas mob. Some geeza called Top Boy was running the Irish end of the operation. Cant believe he didnt get nominated in the annual hoolies award although it was a great year that year. Then we went to the ground and ran into more of the Shamrock Rovas mob, we facked them up good. The ground was pretty good for ripping up, top marks for the people who run the ground. Smashed the train up on the way home and then spotted the same Shamrock Rovas crowd from earlier, facking hell we ran the all over the souf pier.

Great day altogether

You facking mug Johnson, you were half cut for the day facking hell mate. What a day though, havnt had a good knees up in a while. Might give my good mate Top Boy a bell. I hear he is running with a new mob
icebhoy5 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icebhoy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:22pm
Remember that game...
Told me mam that i was studyin in mates house for leavin cert. 2 of us headed to the east terrace for the game
Remember the garda band playin in front of them before the game and this little english scummer ran out and stole the conductors baton and started conductin the band...cops did nothin, scared sh*tless.
We would have hammered them if game kept going
We went to dun laoighre after the trouble to watch the bollixes gettin on the ferry, Freezin cold night and the fire brigade were hosing them down before gettin on, funny as f**k!!
Spiderman me bollocks!
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by icebhoy5 icebhoy5 wrote:

Remember that game...
Told me mam that i was studyin in mates house for leavin cert. 2 of us headed to the east terrace for the game
Remember the garda band playin in front of them before the game and this little english scummer ran out and stole the conductors baton and started conductin the band...cops did nothin, scared sh*tless.
We would have hammered them if game kept going
We went to dun laoighre after the trouble to watch the bollixes gettin on the ferry, Freezin cold night and the fire brigade were hosing them down before gettin on, funny as f**k!!

i heard the cops did fook all to them and the scummers were just laughing in the guards faces chucking stuff and gobbing at them  ..... glad to hear this now, fookin knackers Angry
Chopper 76 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper 76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 5:04pm
i was watching it on the telly we were all watching some cop bursting the brits with a truncheon in the stand some laugh!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:10am
As per my earlier post, I was staying in the Aungier hostel on a school tour, we were watching sky news and it showed when all the Irish had left the ground, the Gardai really got stuck into a fairly sizeable mob of them, great to watch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic