You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11 a side football or 5 a side?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What requires more skill?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [54.55%]
5 [45.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11 a side football or 5 a side?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:09pm
What do you lads think requires more skill? 11 a side on a Sat morning where you might just wander around up front for the last 20 minutes or 60 mins of 5 a side in Astro?
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:14pm
Christ you must be bored.

5 a side is higher intensity.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 3:35pm
Yeah higher intensity and probably requires more all round talent. I.E a big lump can be handy in the 11 a side game (either at CB or FW) but would be exposed a lot more in 5 a side.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 5:32pm
However, as a striker, you require more skill in eleven a side, and you may well have to cover more ground. You will get a lot fewer chances at eleven a side so a miss is more likely to be remembered.

They both require different skill sets and while you might repeatedly make mistakes in five a side, it'll be more noticeable in eleven a side, given the decrease in number of opportunities.

It all depends where you play, too. I mean, a decent centre half is going to find that mistakes in five a side are less noticeable. Mistakes at eleven a side that lead to a goal will be noticed and thus arguably it is a tougher position requiring more skill. However, a pacy winger (a position where mistakes are forgotten and skill more memorable) is more likely to have a good time and look good at five a side, with a lot of chances on the ball and lots of dribbling, whereas playing eleven a side, a few good dribbles and a few bad dribbles will only highlight inconsistency. The same in five a side is likely to lead to a few goals for him (given the smaller pitch) and he'll look a better player.

It depends what you mean and what you are after.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 10:47am
Good point Dave re:Strikers.

Spain, Portugal and Germany have much lauded underage systems. One of the biggest things people talk about are smaller sized games. Yet when you look at Portugal, they haven't produced a decent proper CF since Pauleta and Nuno Gomez. Spain were playing with no striker until Diego Costa became Spanish. The Germans have been using Muller as a makeshift CF and 36 year old Klose, with no other CFs in their Wc squad.

The Dutch too have RVP, Huntelaar and then a gap for anything else.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 11:43am
Well, I'm not saying that playing five a side as youngsters is going to mean you have a problem producing strikers. Finishing should, theoretically, become more instinctive if you play a lot of five a side.

What you'll miss out in player development is aerial work - headers, volleys, upper body stuff. That, to an extent, is clear with the Spanish model. A balanced system of youth development work is needed to produce rounded top level players and to make sure you don't miss out on players who can do a job just because they aren't comfortable with tiki taka five a side.

I was more referring to the park level eleven a side and the hungover sunday five a side than elite player development processes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic