You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 years ago today Handing over of power.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:19pm
Apropos to this, the show Bridges of Ireland was on TV today and had a few nice bridges built by the British at the turn of the last century.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Apropos to this, the show Bridges of Ireland was on TV today and had a few nice bridges built by the British at the turn of the last century.
the railway and the bridges along the lines were built by the british mainly for two reasons. one was to allow them to quickly mobilise troops to quell any trouble and the second was to allow a more efficient method of moving goods to ports. they employed these tactics to all their colonies, be they in asia, africa or europe. 

india for example was an incredibly wealthy country before the british set foot on the sub continent, plundered it and subsequently left it as a backwater. the railways in ireland were used to export agricultural products to feed the industrialised cities in britain (the uk has been unable to produce enough food to feed its population since the 19th century - that is still the case today), in the opposite direction the railways enabled the british to move troops to the four corners of the island with ease. That's why barracks were built a short distance from the stations.

so bear in mind the next time you see an old stone railway bridge or travel on the train it was once used by an empire to exploit its colony.

Edited by colemanY2K - 18 Jan 2022 at 12:16am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:55am
Geek
It would damage this forums' reputation
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:55am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

the railway and the bridges along the lines were built by the british mainly for two reasons. one was to allow them to quickly mobilise troops to quell any trouble and the second was to allow a more efficient method of moving goods to ports. they employed these tactics to all their colonies, be they in asia, africa or europe. 

india for example was an incredibly wealthy country before the british set foot on the sub continent, plundered it and subsequently left it as a backwater. the railways in ireland were used to export agricultural products to feed the industrialised cities in britain (the uk has been unable to produce enough food to feed its population since the 19th century - that is still the case today), in the opposite direction the railways enabled the british to move troops to the four corners of the island with ease. That's why barracks were built a short distance from the stations.

so bear in mind the next time you see an old stone railway bridge or travel on the train it was once used by an empire to exploit its colony.

Are we to boycott bridges CY2k Smile
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:15am

Edited by 9fingers - 18 Jan 2022 at 6:19am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:01am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Was his post a bridge too far?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:30pm
Anyone who doesn't whisper up the ra everytime they go over a bridge in Ireland is clearly a disgrace to their nation.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Anyone who doesn't whisper up the ra everytime they go over a bridge in Ireland is clearly a disgrace to their nation.
Not quite a bridge over troubled waters.....sorry for waxing on 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Should never be whispered. Loud and proud and also after morning and bedtime prayers.

Edited by Sham157 - 18 Jan 2022 at 1:46pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:53pm
Agreed, it should be mandatory to complete a gun salute out the car window going over every bridge.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Agreed, it should be mandatory to complete a gun salute out the car window going over every bridge.

Handy with you lot from Dublin as easy access to guns Shocked
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm
the replies on this thread prove my point,

everyone happy enough with their lot,

no desire for change, just keep the status quo but give me the latest iphone and bmw

we have been bought and sold by the english, yanks, germans, chinese and this will happen over and over 

truly sad Unhappy
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:09pm
LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

no desire for change, just keep the status quo but give me the latest iphone and bmw

we have been bought and sold by the english, yanks, germans, chinese and this will happen over and over 

truly sad Unhappy

Okay, what ‘change’ do you want. Nice word, but from your point of view what are you looking for? Perhaps some
Or most are on the same page?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm

truly sad Unhappy
Dont forget the Japanese. Loads of Toyotas, Lexus , Nissans around and thats before we even start with Sony electronics.

Edited by Sham157 - 18 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:49pm

truly sad Unhappy

I hear you're a racist now Il Principe

I Hear You&amp;#39;re A Racist Now, Father! - Father Ted - YouTube
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:51pm

truly sad Unhappy

Wow. I clicked on this link expecting to read something about Dublin castle and came across this manifesto to renounce all foreign influences. The irony it was not written in Irish is not lost on me by the way.

Now back to topic. Did anyone ever manage to reclaim anything from the carriage office in the castle after leaving stuff in a taxi? I loved that Nokia 3330. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
Il principe wants Ireland to return to a time that never existed.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic