Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 years ago to the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 years ago to the day
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:02am
Something that will always niggle at me this date 18th November , yep we was robbed and still 10 years later on it still hurts .

Today can be remembered for the day we qualified for the Euros I know which one I want to remember .

Get behind the lads tonight .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:32am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:03am
Ruined that song for me, shame catchy 
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:26am
yeah remember they played that song at the end ..
Come on Irelind
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:27am
Yep always reminds me of that night when I hear it
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:30am
Was in the French end, absolute w**kers. Got a full coke bottle thrown at the back of my head. Some other dickhead punched me in the chin while shoving a French flag in my face just after the French goal. I don't mind a bit of sl*gging but it went way beyond that. Numerous French fans apologised to me after the game as they could see what was going on. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:37am
Normally I let bygones be bygones, but that was just such an outrageous incident that it was a stain on football. Official incompetence, unethical play and then Henry having a line of defenders in the media. On top of that, the worst narrative of the armchair footballing pundit that the whole thing was McShane’s issue, which I always think spike volumes of the type of person that repeated that line.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:40am
Between our result and the Algerian result it was a sh*te night in Paris and only got better when I was on the train back home. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:42am
Let’s hope the lads make it right today. 

France and Denmark - two showers of arrogant bastards.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
The walk back to the city Dead

Algerians everywhere celebrating their win - thank f**k. Otherwise, it would have been like the Warriors trying to make it back to Coney Island. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:38pm
What made it worse is that that was one of our best ever performances. Should have won the game 3 or 4 nil.

And after all that, France went to South Africa and did absolutely nothing.

How special would that have been for us to play South Africa in their own World Cup?
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:53pm
https://www.todayfm.com/sport/martin-hansson-mattias-low-interview-925292

'It could have been any team in the world but why Ireland? My favourite country'

Edited by TonyNotJack - 18 Nov 2019 at 4:00pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

What made it worse is that that was one of our best ever performances. Should have won the game 3 or 4 nil.

And after all that, France went to South Africa and did absolutely nothing.

How special would that have been for us to play South Africa in their own World Cup?

Yeah we played really well. Had chances to go 2 up and at least deserved ET. 

Would have been great to make it to SA. Would have been the last WC we’ll make before it becomes a 64 team tournament. 

The walk back was horrible and a lot of Algerian ***** about mocking us. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 18 Nov 2019 at 4:01pm

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:08pm
Love if we played like that tonight. 

Remember how sh*te the 0-0 was in the first leg...then that anomaly of playing really well
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Remember how sh*te the 0-0 was in the first leg...then that anomaly of playing really well

The most fluid Irish performance in a decade and for some time before that. The spine of the team Given, O’Shea, Keane, and Duff, really took control.

Edited by Het-field - 18 Nov 2019 at 4:14pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

We lost the first leg. Think Anelka scored. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:36pm
The first leg was a terrible performance. Anelka's shot took a deflection on the way in too IIRC.

Duff's miss in the 2nd leg haunts me more than the handball, similar to McClean not squaring it to Long when we were 1-0 in Lyon.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The first leg was a terrible performance. Anelka's shot took a deflection on the way in too IIRC.

Duff's miss in the 2nd leg haunts me more than the handball, similar to McClean not squaring it to Long when we were 1-0 in Lyon.

Yes, on both counts. The French goal was deflected in Dublin....probably would have ended 0-0 otherwise.

Duff's miss I remember more than the handball.....that goes in and we would have qualified comfortably.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic