You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wasted Irish Internationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasted Irish Internationals
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:23pm
It's very hard to get your head around the fact that Wes only has 40 odd caps for us . Then I think of Stephen Ireland with less than 10 caps and also Anthony Stokes who also has less than 10 caps . Is there any other players out there that had bags of talent but wasted it ? I
I know Roy will pop up but it's a shame the likes of Stokes and Ireland didn't have the attitude to want to play for their country
Sponsored Links

Coleman esque View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coleman esque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:28pm
Damien Delaney
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
I think there are a number of internationals who have lost it, well before their time, and their prime.

Joey O'Brien and Stephen Ireland looked like they had a genuine ability to be mainstays in the Irish team. Injury for the former and attitude for the latter prevented them from being at two European Championships. Both had great ability, and have done well in the PL but I believe have been lost. While Stephen Reid, and Andy Reid made more hay, both didnt make as much as they should. I feel the latter would have had his swansong at this tournament if his form in 2008-2010 had continued.

Kevin Doyle is another. It just seems to have been one snake after another in the past four years. Again, he would have been a prime candidate for a career finishing Euros over the past two weeks.

I also feel that players like Darren Gibson had the ability to be great, but have just not let it play out.

I feel at the Euros if we had had a team with O'Brien, Ireland, A.Reid, Doyle, and Gibson, at their prime, and while playing their best football, it would have greatly enhanced the team.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 6:49pm
Andy Reid to a degree but his whole career was a let down tbh
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:25pm
David Connolly done very well in Dutch football just never done it in Ireland Jersey for me.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:30pm
It was through no fault of his own but Rory Delap. It was criminal that Trap wouldn't even call him up for a squad in any friendly.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 27 Jun 2016 at 7:31pm
Patrick Jane View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:35pm
If Stokes can hit the score sheet for Blackburn I'd have him in the squad. Still only 27/28. Keane, Murphy and Walters are only getting older/ retiring so we'll need Stokes to resurrect his career
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:39pm
Aiden McGeady for me sadly I'm his biggest supporter but despite having 80 odd caps I still feel his true potential will never be reached not a wasted International but definitely not the completed article. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:58pm
Gerry Peyton and Alan kelly to a lesser extent. Both great keepers whom should have collected more caps than they did anyway
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Gerry Peyton and Alan kelly to a lesser extent. Both great keepers whom should have collected more caps than they did anyway

Probably a little unfair on Alan Kelly. He was the second keeper to Packie Bonner, and was biding his time to become the first choice. Then along came Shay Given, an even better keeper.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Probably a little unfair on Alan Kelly. He was the second keeper to Packie Bonner, and was biding his time to become the first choice. Then along came Shay Given, an even better keeper.

Through no fault of his own I should have said, think he should have gotten more caps than he did. Packie was a childhood hero but was a liability near the end

Edited by armahibee - 27 Jun 2016 at 8:55pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 8:58pm
Alan Kelly should have been number 1 at USA94.

Wim Jonk was in the post for Packie.
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
John Sheridan, even though we had savage mid field options around his era
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm

Didnt Kelly play the 2 drawn away games to Portugal and Holland on the road to WC 2002?
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
Steven Reid - never fulfilled his promise, entirely due to injury.

Stephen Ireland - was the great white hope for a while. Walked away and his club career has gone to sh*te too.

Aiden McGeady - has been so inconsistent for years now.
In hindsight I'm sure he regrets going to Siberia.

Keith Treacy - undoubtedly a real technically gifted player but seems like he didn't have the mentality to be a top player.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:00pm
Yep
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:21pm
Dean Kiely. He was one of the best keepers in the prem for a good few years, just unfortunate that given was at his peak at around the same time.

Steve Finnan and Stephen Carr another two that spring to mind.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:27pm
Keith o Neill remember he was awesome in FIFA 2000

Another career ruined by injury

Edited by lassassinblanc - 27 Jun 2016 at 9:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic