You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Panels
    Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 4:54pm
Anyone get them installed and have any advice? I see MySolar.ie fit them and have no upfront costs or maintenance fees and you pay about €30 a month for 10 years which suits me as I haven't got massive savings there to pay for them up front.

Surely it'll save me money each month (€30 versus the saving to my electricity bill)
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 4:58pm
Jesus that sounds like a great deal. Im assuming they still earn the grant with that?

I priced them for the gaff and i think it was 6-7, just at Xmas time for install.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 5:11pm
That's just an estimate off the website Con, they'd need to come out and price it depending on your gaf, how many panels you want etc. I'd imagine it will be a lot more but once you're saving each month in terms of overall electricity savings less monthly cost of panels it's seems a no brainer to get them. Wondering if many on here have looked in to it and have better deals etc
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 5:24pm
Got them about two years ago. Best money we ever spent 

I'd advise get the battery as well

We have 4 at the front and 4 at the back but they should tell you what's optimal 

Also we were lucky enough that it pushed our BER to B3 so we got a good green mortgage rate at the time 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 5:27pm
Slightly off topic to a certain extent...... solar panels on houses shouldn't be driven by grants and investment by an individual at their dwelling.. We should be tackling and investing in the issue at source i.e wind/wave/solar farms etc. It's another cop out by the Government. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

Slightly off topic to a certain extent...... solar panels on houses shouldn't be driven by grants and investment by an individual at their dwelling.. We should be tackling and investing in the issue at source i.e wind/wave/solar farms etc. It's another cop out by the Government. 
I paid for mine upfront and got the grant. Take your communist ideas elsewhere. The government should of course be doing this also but not at the expense of the individual. We can do both.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

That's just an estimate off the website Con, they'd need to come out and price it depending on your gaf, how many panels you want etc. I'd imagine it will be a lot more but once you're saving each month in terms of overall electricity savings less monthly cost of panels it's seems a no brainer to get them. Wondering if many on here have looked in to it and have better deals etc

I banged in my details. Energy and water 49 a month. Worth a further enquiry. They’re local too it seems. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I paid for mine upfront and got the grant. Take your communist ideas elsewhere. The government should of course be doing this also but not at the expense of the individual. We can do both.
Jeez you really missed the point he's actually making 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

We have 4 at the front and 4 at the back but they should tell you what's optimal 

Also we were lucky enough that it pushed our BER to B3 so we got a good green mortgage rate at the time 

How much each month are you saving mark ?
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I banged in my details. Energy and water 49 a month. Worth a further enquiry. They’re local too it seems. 

Yeah I’d go for the water too I reckon as we’ve a gas boiler and I wouldn’t need that switched on at all during the summer if the panels were heating the water. Think I’ll get them out for a look and see how much it will cost 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

How much was that Mark? Or did you do the monthly option too?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 7:40pm

Yeah I’d go for the water too I reckon as we’ve a gas boiler and I wouldn’t need that switched on at all during the summer if the panels were heating the water. Think I’ll get them out for a look and see how much it will cost 

Likewise, stay in touch pal
AS YOU WERE McGx

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 7:42pm

Is it a 10 year contract Gaz ?

It's worth noting that with your rads off in the summer you will burn very little gas/oil heating your water tank as it's only heating one pipe up and back to the HW tank... It gets to temperature very quickly and then knocks the boiler off at its thermostat so putting on the boiler for an hour runs gas for considerably less than that. One thing people do is put the immersion on for an hour rather than the boiler in the summer and that costs more to run!

Running electricity for heat is continually moving closer in price to oil and gas as well, which is expected given the clamour for renewables and it may continue to do so and even overtake them as demand increases.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 26 Mar 2024 at 7:44pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Jeez you really missed the point he's actually making 
I think the irony of that in a reply to mush head speaks for itself.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 8:48pm
Based on my unit rate per kw and 6 panels, i'll save 532 per year. 

6 panels the norm? How many fit on your standard house?

€49 x 12 for the panels and ill be down money. Need to do more homework on this.

Edited by McG - 26 Mar 2024 at 8:49pm
AS YOU WERE McGx

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:27pm

Based on my unit rate per kw and 6 panels, i'll save 532 per year. 

6 panels the norm? How many fit on your standard house?

€49 x 12 for the panels and ill be down money. Need to do more homework on this.
We've 18 large panels on ours. Almost paid the bill throughout the winter. Looking forward to seeing the performance this summer. Every new build in the country should have the roof filled with these things. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:35pm
I think we got a grant of around 2500 and it cost us about 6500 total after the grant Gaz.

Babbs, honestly couldn't tell you. We've been kn credit for ages now since the government top ups and between the few Bob we're getting sending back to the grid and the little we are using, we are still about 600 in credit, which is great considering the price of power the last 18 months 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:02am

Your right wing parties dumped us with a 64B bailout. We can afford this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic