Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we give up football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:35pm
I keep saying it.  But this football isn't for us lads.  The only way for The EIRE to be competitive is to play to our characteristics as a nation.  Mucksavagery is in our DNA and so I propose an agricultural stye of football.  Put Duffy up front and launch long balls at him for 90 mins.  We need to bring in a load of dirty payers as well who will just kick lumps out of the opposition and snarl at them in the tunnel before the game.  We need to re-establish the long throw in as a key tactic and Packie Bonneresque hoofs up the park.

Paddy has been trying to be Paulo for too long.  It's time to go back to being Paddy.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I keep saying it.  But this football isn't for us lads.  The only way for The EIRE to be competitive is to play to our characteristics as a nation.  Mucksavagery is in our DNA and so I propose an agricultural stye of football.  Put Duffy up front and launch long balls at him for 90 mins.  We need to bring in a load of dirty payers as well who will just kick lumps out of the opposition and snarl at them in the tunnel before the game.  We need to re-establish the long throw in as a key tactic and Packie Bonneresque hoofs up the park.

Paddy has been trying to be Paulo for too long.  It's time to go back to being Paddy.
A bit of brawn and they don't like it up 'em...nothing to be ashamed about.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 9:23pm
Yes. Northern Ireland are better than us now. 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 10:16pm
Given our genetic ineptitude at this sport I think the best policy going ahead would be to pick a team solely of Nigerian origin players. In a few years there'll be enough to fill the team easily. Add our one half Brit hotshot striker to the mix and us Hiberno-celts can focus on pursuits that suit as better such as bare knuckle boxing
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Given our genetic ineptitude at this sport I think the best policy going ahead would be to pick a team solely of Nigerian origin players. In a few years there'll be enough to fill the team easily. Add our one half Brit hotshot striker to the mix and us Hiberno-celts can focus on pursuits that suit as better such as bare knuckle boxing
Sounds like a plan!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

100%

Our genetic make up is not suited to football.   Bare knuckle boxing, hitting each other with sticks, headbutting walls and squashing oranges against our heads to get the juice out is where our strengths are.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:35pm
I think we need to stick to rugby

Edited by McG - 26 Mar 2024 at 10:35pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

What as a nation have we done to deserve that fate? One "sport" I will never, ever, get.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:38pm
can't get past the quarters in that. Paddy should stick to the mucksavageness of GAA. 
Celticbhoy32 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celticbhoy32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 10:50pm
We should revert to long ball tactics. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 11:01pm
I don't think Ferguson won one single ball tonight - I never thought I would say this but he should be playing behind Idah who was far better tonight.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:46am

Hopefully the rest of the world takes an interest in Rugby and then we can be average or worse in that too.

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't think Ferguson won one single ball tonight - I never thought I would say this but he should be playing behind Idah who was far better tonight.

Didn't get to see the game but Idah should have started. It wasn't O'Shea's job to give Ferguson as much time on the pitch as possible in hopes of getting a goal.
Idah is playing well in Scotland and deserved to be the striker against the Swiss.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Hopefully the rest of the world takes an interest in Rugby and then we can be average or worse in that too.

Exactly ....we were No. 1 in the world in a sport that roughly 15 countries have a fully professional national team in ..... and still can't get past the quarter finals of the world cup.
I love to see Ireland doing well in any sport, but God the rugby media are absolutely insufferable.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 4:19pm
We don't need to give up football. What we need is a full on deprogramming of all players and coaches throughout the land.

The deprogramming is required because football is a cult in this country - the Nick-a-Goal cult. Worse than Scientology, our own cult promotes a philosophy based around tight defence, total aversion to risk and taking the one chance you might get to score.

In Italy they used to say that the perfect game of football would end in a nil all draw. In this country the perfect game of football is a 1-0 victory - the winning goal being a header from a centre-half from a corner kick.

Any other attempts to play the game are denounced. The criticism by pundits and former players of Stephen Kenny always seemed over the top. He wasn't a revolutionary nor even a great risk taker. But it makes sense in terms of doctrine. The man wanted to do some things differently - pass the ball a round a bit, or in other words: commit heresy.

It can be no accident that John O'Shea has taken charge of these last two games dressed as a priest. And he was assisted by Brian Kerr - a man who once denounced Roberto Martinez's Belgium for beating Tunisia by 5 goals to 2. Why have a game with so many goals when an orthodox 1-0 win would have done!

The Nick-a-Goal cult is back in total control. Soon the 1-1 draws will return.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 4:32pm
12 Signs That Someone May Be Involved With a Cult | Psychology Today Ireland

The 1-0 cultists

Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

We don't need to give up football. What we need is a full on deprogramming of all players and coaches throughout the land.

The deprogramming is required because football is a cult in this country - the Nick-a-Goal cult. Worse than Scientology, our own cult promotes a philosophy based around tight defence, total aversion to risk and taking the one chance you might get to score.

In Italy they used to say that the perfect game of football would end in a nil all draw. In this country the perfect game of football is a 1-0 victory - the winning goal being a header from a centre-half from a corner kick.

Any other attempts to play the game are denounced. The criticism by pundits and former players of Stephen Kenny always seemed over the top. He wasn't a revolutionary nor even a great risk taker. But it makes sense in terms of doctrine. The man wanted to do some things differently - pass the ball a round a bit, or in other words: commit heresy.

It can be no accident that John O'Shea has taken charge of these last two games dressed as a priest. And he was assisted by Brian Kerr - a man who once denounced Roberto Martinez's Belgium for beating Tunisia by 5 goals to 2. Why have a game with so many goals when an orthodox 1-0 win would have done!

The Nick-a-Goal cult is back in total control. Soon the 1-1 draws will return.

This is a little extreme. 

There's definitely a slight generational divide between some of our fans who have great memories of the Charlton era and who spent most of their teens/20's in the 80's and 90's, and those born after 1990 who are more familiar with the post 2007/2008 shift in football because of the influence of Spain/Barcelona. 

I'd be the latter. Early 30's. I do a bit of coaching. I would mainly work on the technical side of things. Results shouldn't really matter until around U14/U15 level.

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We may well have over-hyped Ferguson - time will tell - but Idah is never going to be a clinical striker, albeit that he may have something to offer us. Hopefully they both improve as we go forward. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 35>
  Share Topic