URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58947
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 3:04am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EURO 2024
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Subject: EURO 2024
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:25pm
Unfortunately we won't be there, but the draw is on now

Pot one: Germany, Portugal, France, Spain, Belgium, England.

Pot two: Hungary, Turkey, Romania, Denmark, Albania, Austria.

Pot three: Netherlands, Scotland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic.

Pot four: Italy, Serbia, Switzerland, Play-off winner A, Play-off winner B, Play-off winner C.

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:31pm
Group  A

Germany 
Hungary 
Scotland 
Switzerland 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Unfortunately we won't be there, but the draw is on now

Pot one: Germany, Portugal, France, Spain, Belgium, England.

Pot two: Hungary, Turkey, Romania, Denmark, Albania, Austria.

Pot three: Netherlands, Scotland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic.

Pot four: Italy, Serbia, Switzerland, Play-off winner A, Play-off winner B, Play-off winner C.

That's a very defeatest attitude.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Group B

Spain 
Albania 
Croatia 
Italy 

Group C

England 
Denmark 
Slovenia 
Serbia 

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:33pm
Group D

France 
Austria 
Netherlands 
Playoff A

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:35pm
Group E

Belgium 
Romania 
Slovakia 
Playoff B

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:41pm
Group F

Portugal 
Turkiye
Czechia 
Playoff C

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:42pm
Hadn't realised they changed the seedings for the Euros to overall points from qualifying from ranking/coefficient when we last qualified in 2016. 

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:45pm
Please let Italy get put into Group D

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:47pm
Not the worst of draws for Scotland.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:48pm
England get their usual easy draw 

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:49pm
England not getting an easy group Shocked

They'll probably get through but wouldn't describe it as handy

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:50pm
Someone belting out the sex noises LOL

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 5:51pm
Possibility of Greece v Turkey Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:19pm

Group B

Spain 
Albania 
Croatia 
Italy 
Albania replace us from 2012...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:21pm
If the Greeks get through they'll have their opening game against Turkey in Dortmund. Am I right in thinking there's a big enough Turkish population in Dortmund ?

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not the worst of draws for Scotland.

Not sure about that. Host nation as top seed and Hungary are a much stronger side these days.

Switzerland as the 4th seeds is probably the best they could've hoped for but still no pushover. 

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:28pm

If the Greeks get through they'll have their opening game against Turkey in Dortmund. Am I right in thinking there's a big enough Turkish population in Dortmund ?
Yep, plenty of Turkish people emigrated to W Germany after WW2 and a lot settled in Ruhr area. Dortmund and its near neighbours Gelsenkirchen have one of the largest Turkish populations, and there would also be a sizeable Greek population as well.

-------------

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:49am

England not getting an easy group Shocked

They'll probably get through but wouldn't describe it as handy
That group is a piece of piss for England. They could barely have hand picked an easier group.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 7:33am
Easy enough for England but a difficult group for Scotland, I think contrary to some other comments on here 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Easy enough for England but a difficult group for Scotland, I think contrary to some other comments on here 

For a country that never got out of their group at any major tournament they seem pretty confident over on TAMB with the draw. They're delighted they avoided Italy in pot 4 but they're probably at a disadvantage that they're playing Germany first rather than last in the group. 

Best 4/6 3rd place teams go through so they'll still be confident of getting out of the group in any case.  

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:20am
It’s a poor German side at the moment but would not write them off either.  But there have been far better German sides and home advantage etc but all of the 1st seeds are tough and England and France would have been worse.  

Switzerland is a tough 4 seed in my view.  Would have preferred one of the playoff winners but they did avoid Italy.  

Hungary are decent and as good as Scotland if not better.  Could finish 2nd or 4th. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:33am
Can understand why the Scots would be happy with the draw. It’s relatively manageable. Group E would be my preference if Ireland were there.

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 11:20am
It’s a real sickner not being ar this 

Wasn’t that bothered missing the multi city/ Covid affected one in England but this one Disapprove

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Wasn’t that bothered missing the multi city/ Covid affected one in England but this one Disapprove

Apart from quality beer, great cities, great food, great stadiums and good travel connections, you won't be missing much. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:04pm

Group  A

Germany 
Hungary 
Scotland 
Switzerland 

My take on this group, 

Tough draw for Scotland imo.

Germany are Germany at the end of the day, yes they haven't been in great form over last few years but as the old saying goes you never write them off.

Hungary like Switzerland are a well organised team which will be tough to beat.

As for Scotland again tough to beat Clarke has made them no pushover but they do seem to choke when it comes to tournament football but you never know opening game against the Germans will be key for them 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Apart from quality beer, great cities, great food, great stadiums and good travel connections, you won't be missing much. 

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm
Tbh I think it would've been worse to miss out on Euro 2016 the way the Scots did after they imploded in the group and to see N.I., Wales, us and England also qualify compounded the misery for them. 

We were never in with a chance of qualification from this group and the playoffs were always going to be 50/50 at best if we made them. It's very disappointing not to qualify for Germany, arguably worse than the Russia or Qatar world cups but France would've been pure depressing to miss out on with all our UK neighbours qualifying imo. 

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm

Group  A

Germany 
Hungary 
Scotland 
Switzerland 

My take on this group, 

Tough draw for Scotland imo.

Germany are Germany at the end of the day, yes they haven't been in great form over last few years but as the old saying goes you never write them off.

Hungary like Switzerland are a well organised team which will be tough to beat.

As for Scotland again tough to beat Clarke has made them no pushover but they do seem to choke when it comes to tournament football but you never know opening game against the Germans will be key for them 

As a third seed though it's not too bad. They could have got a lot worse than Germany. And as a 2nd seed they could have also got worse than Hungary, who are granted a much improved team. Switzerland are on the slide a little.

So it's a group I would expect Scotland to be competitive in and a good chance of getting out

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Tbh I think it would've been worse to miss out on Euro 2016 the way the Scots did after they imploded in the group and to see N.I., Wales, us and England also qualify compounded the misery for them. 

We were never in with a chance of qualification from this group and the playoffs were always going to be 50/50 at best if we made them. It's very disappointing not to qualify for Germany, arguably worse than the Russia or Qatar world cups but France would've been pure depressing to miss out on with all our UK neighbours qualifying imo. 

I know Scottish fans took that one hard. Plenty of jokes directed their way from the UK neighbours, and Ireland.

But its cold comfort to know that it could just be us and North watching from the couch. Compounded by the fact that the results in qualification were as bad as they have ever been, we were never in contention for qualifying, and our ranking has slide down to 60.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:37pm

Group B

Spain 
Albania 
Croatia 
Italy 

This group looks oddly familiar

Tough draw for Albania can't see them getting out of the group but you can imagine lads in Tirana having the exact same conversations we all had prior to 2012.

Italy go in as defending champions I think they should have enough to get out of the group in what position though I'm.not sure.

Spain on paper have a team who could win the whole thing  Gavi is a big loss though.

The last dance for Modric, on their day the Croats can beat anyone could this be their golden generation crowning moment?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:57pm

Group C

England 
Denmark 
Slovenia 
Serbia 

England have to be happy with this group but they have to be careful as Denmark and Serbia are well capable of beating anyone on their day.

Slovenia are the team you have to think will prop up the bottom of the group but again you never know.

The Danes probably aren't the team they used to be but they still have a team who can punish anyone on their day

Serbia the perennial dark horses,  can spring a surprise good or bad  could this be the tournament they get it right?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:04pm

Group D

France 
Austria 
Netherlands 
Playoff A

France and Netherlands of course qualified via our group and I think Koemans reaction summed it up.

France are one of the tournament favourites and will be looking to win this group comfortably.

The Dutch on their day can beat anyone I'd have them as the outside bet to win the tournament.

Austria are very much in the same boat as the likes of Switzerland and Hungary for me very well organised and capable of a surprise.

Playoff A will be either Poland ,Wales , Finland  or Estonia.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:10pm

Group E

Belgium 
Romania 
Slovakia 
Playoff B

Another last chance for Belgium LOL they'll be very happy with this group and you'd expect them to top it comfortably.

The rest of the group is fairly even fore Romania  Slovakia and the Playoff winner (Israel, Bosnia, Ukraine and Iceland) are all very capable of beating each other, I have a feeling this group will be an entertaining one 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:24pm

Group F

Portugal 
Turkiye
Czechia 
Playoff C

Portugal should be winning this group comfortably, they have a squad capable of winning the tournament but of course are now managed by Roberto Martinez  

Turkiye are the random team capable on their day of beating anyone but as seen in the last euros more than capable of falling flat on their faces. They do play two of their games in Dortmund so will have a strong following 

Czechia will  again are one of those teams who can turn up and surprise anyone 

Playoff C team could be Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan or Luxembourg 

As some have already said  a Turkiye v Greece game could be a spicy affair 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:28pm

Yeah germanys a sh*t hole shoukd never have been given the tournament Disapprove

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:29pm
Turkey were absolutely flying going into the last Euros. Was looking forward to seeing them cause a few upsets and they completely flopped.

Are Turkey and Greece one of these stupid rules where they can't get each other in qualifying like Spain and Gibraltar?

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:04pm

Turkey were absolutely flying going into the last Euros. Was looking forward to seeing them cause a few upsets and they completely flopped.

Are Turkey and Greece one of these stupid rules where they can't get each other in qualifying like Spain and Gibraltar?

I don't recall them being kept apart but could be wrong.  

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:34pm

Yeah germanys a sh*t hole shoukd never have been given the tournament Disapprove
€49 monthly national rail ticket et al

-------------

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 11:11pm
CH
That 49€ ticket is an annual ticket paid monthly so you would need to remember to cancel it.
Also it doesn't cover ICE trains (fast intercity )

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 12:20pm
Tickets got today for 3 second round games. Portal is only open for 24 hours. Lucky I randomly checked yesterday. I would have missed it otherwise

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 1:55pm
Managed to get 3 matches - France v Austria (in Dusseldorf), Turkey v Play-off winner (Dortmund) and Spain v Italy (Gelsenkirchen). 

Tried to get Scotland v Switzerland (in Cologne) but couldn't cart it. I'm sure there'll be more chances in the next few months.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Managed to get 3 matches - France v Austria (in Dusseldorf), Turkey v Play-off winner (Dortmund) and Spain v Italy (Gelsenkirchen). 

Tried to get Scotland v Switzerland (in Cologne) but couldn't cart it. I'm sure there'll be more chances in the next few months.

There was a chinese buffet that we went to one night but as well as the usual precooked stuff under heat lamps there was a fresh ingredients aisle that you chose your own ingredients and gave them to a chef in front of a hot plate who cooked it for you  - Top 3 away meals of all time  

You could take up 6 oysters and he would steam them for you  - always suspected it was a money laundering front as the cost was about  30 euro a head including a beer 

Rest of the town is a dump though  and outside the stadium was lethal for lack of lights 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 4:15pm
Hopefully Greece qualify as Turkey v Greece in Dortmund's stadium will be quality. Great game to go to.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 4:29pm

There was a chinese buffet that we went to one night but as well as the usual precooked stuff under heat lamps there was a fresh ingredients aisle that you chose your own ingredients and gave them to a chef in front of a hot plate who cooked it for you  - Top 3 away meals of all time  

You could take up 6 oysters and he would steam them for you  - always suspected it was a money laundering front as the cost was about  30 euro a head including a beer 

Rest of the town is a dump though  and outside the stadium was lethal for lack of lights 

Got lost in the dark there heading back for the tram in 2014 and ended up wandering into the old Parkstadion building site where we played the Dutch in '88.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:07pm

I remember Gelsenkirchen was a dump from my 1st Ireland away trip there in 2014 (fck me, was that really 10 years ago!?) so I'm basing myself in Dusseldorf.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:09pm

Hopefully Greece qualify as Turkey v Greece in Dortmund's stadium will be quality. Great game to go to.
Even without Greece, that'll probably still feel like I've somehow arrived in Istanbul with the largeTurkish population in Germany. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:48pm

Even without Greece, that'll probably still feel like I've somehow arrived in Istanbul with the largeTurkish population in Germany. 

I've always wanted to go to a game at that stadium so even San Marino v Faroes would be a great day out. Enjoy!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:06pm

I remember Gelsenkirchen was a dump from my 1st Ireland away trip there in 2014 (fck me, was that really 10 years ago!?) so I'm basing myself in Dusseldorf.

10 years Shocked where has the time gone 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 9:14pm

I've always wanted to go to a game at that stadium so even San Marino v Faroes would be a great day out. Enjoy!
Thank you Thumbs Up

I was there in December 2019 for a fantastic Bundesliga match between Borussia Dortmund and Leipzig which finished 3-3. Fantastic atmosphere to go with it and the Yellow Wall seemed much bigger than what you see on tv. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 9:53pm

a lot of pubs along the river with huge screens that show football, alt stadt is a fun place and the local "alt' beer is delicious. McLaughlins at the top of the alt stadt is the best of the Irish pubs. There is a german cinema museum which is well worth a visit if you're into films.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

a lot of pubs along the river with huge screens that show football, alt stadt is a fun place and the local "alt' beer is delicious. McLaughlins at the top of the alt stadt is the best of the Irish pubs. There is a german cinema museum which is well worth a visit if you're into films.
Thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 10:46am
By no means 100% but in general UEFA assign the end on the left looking from the main stand to the "home" fans.  Turkey are the "home" side v Playoff and v Portugal meaning they should get the yellow wall end.  If it works out that way it will be some sight. I'm also going to both games in Dortmund.

Demand for tickets this time appears to be insane.  All games sold yesterday unlike say France where quite a few games were always on sale in the higher categories.  I'm shocked that 400 euro tickets for Slovakia v Playoff Winner sold so easily.  

There will be other chances but so far every ticket offered to the general public is being snapped up.  

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 10:53am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

By no means 100% but in general UEFA assign the end on the left looking from the main stand to the "home" fans.  Turkey are the "home" side v Playoff and v Portugal meaning they should get the yellow wall end.  If it works out that way it will be some sight. I'm also going to both games in Dortmund.

Demand for tickets this time appears to be insane.  All games sold yesterday unlike say France where quite a few games were always on sale in the higher categories.  I'm shocked that 400 euro tickets for Slovakia v Playoff Winner sold so easily.  

There will be other chances but so far every ticket offered to the general public is being snapped up.  

Its likely as every ***t thinks they are some entrepreneur by buying  tickets for things they have no intention of going to and flog them to secondhand /people desparate for tickets 

same with concert tickets 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 11:30am
There is a massive increase in the interest in attending live football in the last 5 years and as NR says above, clowns buying them to make a few quid means that it has become very hard to get tickets for major tournaments. 

I'm planning going to three games in America for the next world cup and already starring to think I may have to stump up ridiculous money for hospitality if I want to get tickets 

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 12:17pm
It took over 2 hours to get into the portal and only tickets left were expensive. 160 was the cheapest and others were 400. I wouldn't pay that kind of money as a neutral for one match. Any of the cheaper tickets must have sold out when they originally went on sale late last year.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by trevwaterford trevwaterford wrote:

It took over 2 hours to get into the portal and only tickets left were expensive. 160 was the cheapest and others were 400. I wouldn't pay that kind of money as a neutral for one match. Any of the cheaper tickets must have sold out when they originally went on sale late last year.
I was lucky I got in at 10am in less than ten minutes and picked up 80e tickets for 3 2nd round games. Wanted two quarter finals ones but the cheapest I could get was 200 in one and 350 in the other so left it

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 7:25pm
Definitely you are correct re professional and amateur touts snapping up stuff.  Really hate these bottom feeders.

Demand has still gone way up.  Too late for this tournament but if planning for 2026 apply as early as possible and try to get as many friends and family to apply on your behalf.  

Posted By: djherb543
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 8:20pm
Was in the queue at 9:15 and had prepared myself in the best way possible waiting patiently for just under 3hrs and by the time I finally got out there was nothing left, I couldn’t even add the prime tickets for any game to my cart. Was unsuccessful in the two previous ballots and was looking for one Scotland ticket as I have been following them very closely over the campaign. I know that there will be another window later on but I can’t escape that this seems to have been a huge missed opportunity.

My experience is that this is more down to pure luck rather than ‘first come first served’ as I was led to believe. I will keep trying until the bitter end, any tips from experienced campaigners for future windows would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net