Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58575
Printed Date: 14 May 2024 at 4:46pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
Posted By: ConorMac77
Subject: Greece - 13th Oct 2024 - Travel and Accommodation
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:00pm
Considering how important this game will probably be, this will surely be played in either the Olympic Stadium in Athens or even Olympiakos' ground? Can't see this one being played at any of the smaller provincial grounds. 

Edit: Thread title updated for this year's NL away trip. Thumbs Up

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Replies:
Posted By: VanBosch
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Considering how important this game will probably be, this will surely be played in either the Olympic Stadium in Athens or even Olympiakos' ground? Can't see this one being played at any of the smaller provincial grounds. 

Judging by the price of Aer Lingus direct flights - plenty have booked this. It’s now 700 return.

Posted By: baresi41
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Judging by the price of Aer Lingus direct flights - plenty have booked this. It’s now 700 return.
Are you surprised? As discussed on numerous occasions, folks on here do their job for them by advertising the route, how much they paid etc. Even if you mention vis London etc. boom, up goes the connecting flight. it's 9 months away and there's plenty of options to get to Greece. Same as the rest of the games.

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:40pm
Its a hell of a journey from Athens to Thessaloniki - i think it took us 5 to 6 hours. Did it for our match in Skopje way back when. The Greeks were so broke they didn't have the AC on in the train where you can't open the windows...it was 40+ outside. The worst journey of my life Dead

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Are you surprised? As discussed on numerous occasions, folks on here do their job for them by advertising the route, how much they paid etc. Even if you mention vis London etc. boom, up goes the connecting flight. it's 9 months away and there's plenty of options to get to Greece. Same as the rest of the games.

Except very few people posted about Aerlingus across the threads. If you went onto skyscanner to have a look it was right there, direct flight sorted. 

It's probably the easiest way to go so no wonder it went up first. 

There's plenty of ways to fly in though as you've mentioned from all across Europe. Peak summer season though so flights probably won't get much cheaper than they are no whatever route you go.

Very rarely fly direct myself but booked Aerlingus this morning simply for convenience 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:53pm
Anyone ever been to Athens have any recommendation on what area to look for hotel wise?

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Anyone ever been to Athens have any recommendation on what area to look for hotel wise?

Anywhere close to Monastiraki square would be spot on.

http://maps.app.goo.gl/rgTd76tGBAdTp2qK6" rel="nofollow - http://maps.app.goo.gl/rgTd76tGBAdTp2qK6

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm

Anywhere around Syntagma, Acropoli or Monastiraki metro stations would be spot on.  Central, plenty of restaurants and bars around there too.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: belt
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:19pm

I was there earlier this year. Plaka would be the area to go to, its the main area in the centre with plenty of bars and restaurants including the James Joyce pub. Plenty of reasonable accommodation too. It's beside the Acropolis and main tourist sites too

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 3:35pm
What was the cheapest to be got for direct earlier in the day?

I have a couple of indirect options but wondering to hold off until athens is confirmed

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 4:53pm
Got return flights with AL for 250e.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:06pm
I'm getting ad pop ups from KLM and it's cheaper to go to Barbados then go to Greece.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:30pm
Think I will wait till it’s confirmed - Greeks don’t owe us any favours why shoukd they facilitate a large Irish crowd especially if they aren’t filling the stadium themselves  

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Bonehead24
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Direct? What days are you flying?

Posted By: mouldymould
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What was the cheapest to be got for direct earlier in the day?

I have a couple of indirect options but wondering to hold off until athens is confirmed

AerLingus direct to Athens was showing for around €200 return last night but their site was crashing. They've also put on another flight back the day after the match now. Aegean have direct flights at a good price but the return flight is on the Monday night during Gibraltar at home. Ryanair haven't published their direct schedule for June, but I imagine it won't be cheap.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm

Was looking at their recent attendances, I've last two campaigns. Highest attendance was 19k against Italy, every other one was in the thousands, including just 1.3k against Kosovo, would be surprised if they moved it, seems to be no demand to see the team. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Think I will wait till it’s confirmed - Greeks don’t owe us any favours why shoukd they facilitate a large Irish crowd especially if they aren’t filling the stadium themselves  

I see the recent northern Ireland match was originally slated for volos but subsequently changed to Athens. They announced the venue just 6 weeks prior to the match.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:07pm

Got them for €290 return with AL. Out Thursday and back Saturday. Not too bad 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:10pm
Volos looks like a right pain in the arse to get to.

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I see the recent northern Ireland match was originally slated for volos but subsequently changed to Athens. They announced the venue just 6 weeks prior to the match.

I was reading the regulations document earlier, the venue must be selected and sent to UEFA at least 120 days before the match.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

I was reading the regulations document earlier, the venue must be selected and sent to UEFA at least 120 days before the match.

Are the rules different for the nations league because they announced the venue 5 to 6 weeks before the scheduled date of the match.

-------------

Posted By: ProudIrish
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:22pm
booked the flight home the Monday night with Aegean. I know it’s during the Gibraltar match but feck it . Always wanted to see Athens so will do 4 nights . Might hang off booking flight over but will go indirect 

-------------
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Are the rules different for the nations league because they announced the venue 5 to 6 weeks before the scheduled date of the match.

Yeah, the regulations can differ for each competition.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:23pm
http://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24-Online" rel="nofollow - http://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24-Online

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:26pm
So February at the latest. I can hang on till then.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:26pm
should be no issue with tickets for this one going by the recent attendances of the Greeks 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

should be no issue with tickets for this one going by the recent attendances of the Greeks 

It could be our only away this campaign that won't be oversubscribed and will count on away records

Posted By: Bonehead24
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 7:18pm
Pulled the trigger on flights to Athens. Fingers crossed its on there now.
Direct from Dublin on way over on the Tuesday with AL and home the Sunday via Amsterdam with KLM.
Worked out around €320. 

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

Pulled the trigger on flights to Athens. Fingers crossed its on there now.
Direct from Dublin on way over on the Tuesday with AL and home the Sunday via Amsterdam with KLM.
Worked out around €320. 
Booked last night direct both ways over Aegean on wed, home aer lingus Saturday 250

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Diavol
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:18pm
Hi guys, Greek here. Awful draw for both teams but at least we got the advantage of a playoff spot and that's the real goal of the team.

Regarding which stadium we're gonna host the Irish team, we have recently moved from Olympiakos' ground because of a rivalry between Olympiakos and the federation and we don't play games there anymore. 

Oaka looks like the most probable case for me even though it's huge and we barely fill the half of it, afaik players don't seem to prefer it. 

There's also the new AEK stadium around which is based in Nea Filadelphia and I think it gets a huge chance to host some of this campaign's games.

Stadium which we hosted NIR is old and doubt we would use it in crucial games as well as every other stadium outside of Athens. 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

Direct? What days are you flying?

Yes direct. Going the Tuesday.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Diavol Diavol wrote:

Hi guys, Greek here. Awful draw for both teams but at least we got the advantage of a playoff spot and that's the real goal of the team.

Regarding which stadium we're gonna host the Irish team, we have recently moved from Olympiakos' ground because of a rivalry between Olympiakos and the federation and we don't play games there anymore. 

Oaka looks like the most probable case for me even though it's huge and we barely fill the half of it, afaik players don't seem to prefer it. 

There's also the new AEK stadium around which is based in Nea Filadelphia and I think it gets a huge chance to host some of this campaign's games.

Stadium which we hosted NIR is old and doubt we would use it in crucial games as well as every other stadium outside of Athens. 

Thanks for this! Any idea when they might decide?

Any chance of it being in Heraklion? 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:17am

Thanks for the information.

The new AEK stadium looks fantastic, I would imagine that Greece might want to showcase it.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:27am

So pretty much nailed on Athens ? 

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:02am
Just checked his IP,it’s Tuff Paddy ffs!

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:13am
The worst case scenario would mean a 3-5 hour drive if not Athens with many people in the same boat so probably plenty of options to get a bus together. Think i'll just take the risk on Athens

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Just checked his IP,it’s Tuff Paddy ffs!

Its Athens!! LOL

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:34am

The worst case scenario would mean a 3-5 hour drive if not Athens with many people in the same boat so probably plenty of options to get a bus together. Think i'll just take the risk on Athens

Worst case scenario is Crete! They'd planned to play games their recently and it fell through. 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:45am
Would be great for tourism! Maybe not great for Greece as it would be like a home game for ireland!!!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:49am

Would be great for tourism! Maybe not great for Greece as it would be like a home game for ireland!!!

Be a bollocks for those of us with flights booked to athens mind! 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 10:51am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Worst case scenario is Crete! They'd planned to play games their recently and it fell through. 

9 hour ferry it is then.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:24am

Be a bollocks for those of us with flights booked to athens mind! 
Ferry down from Pireaus takes about 12 hours....big bag of Mythos, the only man...LOL

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:31pm
Anywan been to any of the islands off Athens?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:24pm

Yeah I think the stadium rotation was just for the NL games so people in the county would get the chance to watch the NT. Although just yesterday the FA president was asked what's going to be if Poyet asks the team to move to Olympiakos' ground, he replied (in a rather unconvincing way) that they will do it id Olympiakos agrees (which is also why I pointed out that I exclude this option)

Also the players don't really like moving outside of Athens.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:34pm
Is there much interest in Greece? The attendances seem really, really low 

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:44pm

[QUOTE=Diavol]Hi guys, Greek here. Awful draw for both teams but at least we got the advantage of a playoff spot and that's the real goal of the team.

[/QUO

Yeah I think the stadium rotation was just for the NL games so people in the county would get the chance to watch the NT. Although just yesterday the FA president was asked what's going to be if Poyet asks the team to move to Olympiakos' ground, he replied (in a rather unconvincing way) that they will do it id Olympiakos agrees (which is also why I pointed out that I exclude this option)

Also the players don't really like moving outside of Athens.

thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:19am

Well recent failures have made people really dissapointed and when you include the obnoxious and passive way we've played since 2014, it's not an encouraging factor for someone to go and watch the team.

After topping the NL group seems interest has grown with the possibility of making it through the playoffs where Turkey, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Luxembourg are potential opponents.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:19am

Yeah Cyprus 

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:51am

Africa.   Me and Joanne took a little trip to Afritionaire.  We left Nairobi, went south to Moshe,across the Serengeti to Musoma and the long trek east to the coast.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 7:31am

Well recent failures have made people really dissapointed and when you include the obnoxious and passive way we've played since 2014, it's not an encouraging factor for someone to go and watch the team.

After topping the NL group seems interest has grown with the possibility of making it through the playoffs where Turkey, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Luxembourg are potential opponents.

Good to hear, albeit not from an irish perspective! 

Hope we play in thr AEK stadium, looks a beautiful stadium

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:55am

Was in Ios about 10 years ago at the tail end of our interrailing trip. Was great craic, real party island. About a 5 hour ferry from Athens. Don't think I'd be fit for it now thoughLOL

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:25am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Was in Ios about 10 years ago at the tail end of our interrailing trip. Was great craic, real party island. About a 5 hour ferry from Athens. Don't think I'd be fit for it now thoughLOL
I said off Athens,not bleedin 5 hours awayBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:05am

I was there about 20 years ago. I handed over money for the privilege of getting hit on the head with a hammer by a barman whilst I did a Tequila Slammer. This was a pre planned assault of which I was fully aware and gave my consent. People were lining up to partake. 
These days you can't hit customers on the head with hammers. Its this new woke culture I blame.  

EDIT: Punters are provided with a crash helmet before getting a smack of a hammer which is very decent of the barmen. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Fatnacho
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:22am

Aegina, Poros and Hydra are all within 90mins on the ferry and cheap to get to. Aegina gets busy at the weekends with Athenians and tourists going over for day trips. Aegina town is nice with good restaurants and drinking spots but it isn’t as photogenic as some of the other islands. Hydra is a bit more up-market and expensive so would probably avoid there. Poros has the best beaches if you’re looking to get a tan.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:32am

I said off Athens,not bleedin 5 hours awayBig smile

Same as the bus from Dublin to Donegal....not a bother!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I was there about 20 years ago. I handed over money for the privilege of getting hit on the head with a hammer by a barman whilst I did a Tequila Slammer. This was a pre planned assault of which I was fully aware and gave my consent. People were lining up to partake. 
These days you can't hit customers on the head with hammers. Its this new woke culture I blame.  

EDIT: Punters are provided with a crash helmet before getting a smack of a hammer which is very decent of the barmen. 

Haha...Slammer bar. Their weapon of choice on me was a fire extinguisher. Lucky none of us lost teeth as I believe was fairly common from hitting the bar from the impact of the blow to the head

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Aegina, Poros and Hydra are all within 90mins on the ferry and cheap to get to. Aegina gets busy at the weekends with Athenians and tourists going over for day trips. Aegina town is nice with good restaurants and drinking spots but it isn’t as photogenic as some of the other islands. Hydra is a bit more up-market and expensive so would probably avoid there. Poros has the best beaches if you’re looking to get a tan.

Which of those islands most closely resembles Dundalk?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Fatnacho
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:12pm

Which of those islands most closely resembles Dundalk?
In that case probably Salamis. There aren’t many locals there that can speak intelligible English LOLLOL

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 12:59pm

I was in both Hydra and Poros this summer. Hydra is much the nicer, there are no cars in the island, the locals use donkeys. It is more expensive  than Poros but still cheaper than Ireland. No sandy beaches on Hydra though.

Poros wasn't great, struck me as a place that had it's tourism heyday 20 years ago, it's very run down. 

Neither place is particularly lively, but it was mid May I was there

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm

LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: baresi41
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

I was in both Hydra and Poros this summer. Hydra is much the nicer, there are no cars in the island, the locals use donkeys. It is more expensive  than Poros but still cheaper than Ireland. No sandy beaches on Hydra though.

Poros wasn't great, struck me as a place that had it's tourism heyday 20. Years ago, it's very run down.  Both are kips. Beware  of the pickpockets on both islands.  

Neither place is particularly lively, but it was mid May I was there

-------------
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 1:38pm

I was in Spetses many moons ago...lovely spot then.

-------------

Posted By: shifty11
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:16am
Just booked accom for a few of us in Athens. Airlines should release summer timetables by end of next month apparently so holding off booking flights til then.

Is there a risk of it being played outside of Athens?

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:33am
What's the best area to stay in Athens?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:01am
It looks like the area around Plaka or Pysri neighbourhoods.
I went for Pysri, looks really cool

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:10pm
any beach areas around Athens that aren’t too far from the centre and decent to stay in ?

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 5:57pm
5 of us booked into the Elikon.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

any beach areas around Athens that aren’t too far from the centre and decent to stay in ?
Yep, plenty of options.

-------------

Posted By: tapfit2004
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Looks basic but good. I booked a room for 4 with free cancellation for 3 nights for €200. It's a long time since I have seen prices like that. Location looks good too 

-------------
Let Christy Take It.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 11:59pm
Some great prices to be had but most don't have a swimming pool.

That's a deal breaker in the middle of June LOL

Posted By: tapfit2004
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 12:04am

If I got near a swimming pool on an away trip I'd be floating to the bottom. 

The price for 4 people for 3 nights is only a little bit more than what we paid per person per night in Glasgow. 

-------------
Let Christy Take It.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 8:16am

Still some good choices with pools,worth the extra few bob

-------------

Posted By: Gearoid101
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 11:01pm
Anyone picked a route from Shannon?

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Good shout. Just booked it today. Great price and location Clap

-------------

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:02pm
Going to make this our family holiday next year.

Got return direct flights with Seats reserved and checked bags for €480 for us both and the one year old. Booked with Aegean.

Have booked 11 nights in a seaside suburb called Glyfada on the Athens Riviera. Tram outside the hotel info the city centre in 40 Minutes.

There will be time for sight seeing, catching friend around the match and down time with the family. Tram also goes to Pireaus so might go to an island for a day.

Seems to be a lot of seafront areas to the South of the city that will provide a good mix of holiday destination with accessibility to the city for tours and the match.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 2:19pm
Don't forget the sunscreen Tom - Or that Georgian hat to keep the sun off your head!

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Got return direct flights with Seats reserved and checked bags for €480 for us both and the one year old. Booked with Aegean.

Have booked 11 nights in a seaside suburb called Glyfada on the Athens Riviera. Tram outside the hotel info the city centre in 40 Minutes.

There will be time for sight seeing, catching friend around the match and down time with the family. Tram also goes to Pireaus so might go to an island for a day.

Seems to be a lot of seafront areas to the South of the city that will provide a good mix of holiday destination with accessibility to the city for tours and the match.
thinking of doing similar 

-------------

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 1:38pm
Took a one year old to Athens a few years back and had a mare! Quality city obviously but I wouldn't say esp "family friendly". 
Stroller was difficult with being so busy and the mad broken paths. Weren't many places at least centrally that it felt ok to let him wander a bit so he was mostly annoyed. Gang tried to rob us on that tram you're talking about. We also went from Piraeus on a ferry and my son shat all over our cabin, and generally went mental for the whole journey!

But...once we got settled at a nice resort in Crete we were happy out, so you'll be grand out in a seaside place I'm sure.

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm
Taking a one year old anywhere is a disaster, always seem a good idea to try and get away and then disaster strikes. sh*tting all over the cabin is a belter though LOL.

I'm currently weighing up whether to take my 6 year old with me.  She loves getting away but Athens seems massive with loads of walking, but she is right into the football now so would enjoy the main event at least. The 4  and 2 year olds being left behind might be raging,  but no way am I taking them all.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 1:54pm
Tha Algarve would seem a better bet for bringing young kids unless your Gerry or Kate.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:51pm
What will KO time be on this?

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

19:00 Irish time.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:59pm

Listed as 21.45 local , 7.45 Irish 

Posted By: Beavis
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Taking a one year old anywhere is a disaster, always seem a good idea to try and get away and then disaster strikes. sh*tting all over the cabin is a better though LOL.

I'm currently weighing up whether to take my 6 year old with me.  She loves getting away but Athens seems massive with loads of walking, but she is right into the football now so would enjoy the main event at least. The 4  and 2 year olds being left behind might be raging,  but no way am I taking them all.

Yeah always a disaster alright, yet for years we always lived in hope that the next time it would be grand. 
But I've now made my peace being a sh ite tourist. Don't care about seeing anything. Happy out spending the day on a sun lounger on some generic Med coast, and not dragging screaming kids through dusty old ruins. A nearby waterpark is as far as I'll venture now.

Another San Miguel Julio pal... 

-------------
<insert witty comment>

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 8:15am
What hotels are people staying in for this one?

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 9:01am

What hotels are people staying in for this one?

4 of us are staying in the Melia Athens anyway.

I had booked the Elikon which was a great price and central but changed to the nearby Melia for it's rooftop bar and view of the Acropolis. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 9:08am
Anyone ever got the ferry from Athens to Ios? Got a wedding there on the Sunday thought this might be a nicer option than flying

Posted By: Mr_T
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:47pm

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

thinking of doing similar 

Same.  Have apartment booked but there's 5 of us so the flights add up. 

Posted By: UCDadUltra
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:24pm
did this over the summer and was completely fine, nice ferry which reminded me of a HSS. They can be pretty pricey is the only thing, I had to pay the guts of 80 quid!

Posted By: OohAhh
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:09am
Any update at all when they might confirm city? bit reluctant to spend that much on flights with the risk it might be elsewhere.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:20am
Originally posted by OohAhh OohAhh wrote:

Any update at all when they might confirm city? bit reluctant to spend that much on flights with the risk it might be elsewhere.

They don't have to confirm until 3 month before so that would be March. 

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by OohAhh OohAhh wrote:

Heard it mighten be till the New Year when we hear - it will must likely be Athens but like yourself reluctant to book until confirmed 

Could do with France being confirmed as well

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Anyone ever got the ferry from Athens to Ios? Got a wedding there on the Sunday thought this might be a nicer option than flying

Yep got it before. Think it was 6 hours. Very comfortable. Not so much on the way back when we were dying a death!!

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Yep got it before. Think it was 6 hours. Very comfortable. Not so much on the way back when we were dying a death!!
Ain't no airport on Ios afaik. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 11:07am
Any indication of where this one might be? 

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 10:07pm

More than likely Athens but not confirmed 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 1:11am

Nothing official but the last I'd heard was Athens & the FAI were planning off this but nothing had been confirmed 

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 11:25am

would you not be safe enough booking flights to Athens for this get internal flight or train if its played anywhere else 

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

would you not be safe enough booking flights to Athens for this get internal flight or train if its played anywhere else 

If you are flying out the Friday be dodgy. Some of the spins are 5/6 hours 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Yeah, but looking to get a 2.45am flight after the game so want to wait for Athens to be confirmed! 

Thanks lads, hoping its thay new AEK stadium 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net