Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54853
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Patrick McEleney
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Patrick McEleney
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 11:50pm
Thought by many to be the next big thing out of Dundalk since Towell, Horgan and Boyle.  

Clearly an extremely skillful player on an upward trajectory.  

A real danger that he will defect to the North.  Should we be looking at getting him involved now in the Iceland/Uruguay games before Michael O'Neill steals a march?

Replies:
Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Thought by many to be the next big thing out of Dundalk since Towell, Horgan and Boyle.  

A real danger that he will defect to the North.  Should we be looking at getting him involved now in the Iceland/Uruguay games before Michael O'Neill steals a march?

No.

Close thread

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:21am
http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/09/03/4233650/trapattoni-will-never-look-towards-our-league-says-derry" rel="nofollow - http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2013/09/03/4233650/trapattoni-will-never-look-towards-our-league-says-derry

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:08pm

LOL

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:06pm

I thought he had real pace in the Europa league. I'm surprised the north haven’t given him a cap already.

He'll be next to move I would imagine

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

The worst thing about the part you highlighted is that Michael O'Neill can still cap him even after if he played in those games LOL

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:11am
I'm not suggesting cynically trying to tie the lad down.  I'm saying get him involved, show him that if he continues to improve he will get chances with the national team.

Just as Boyle and Horgan have recently done, and Horgan will probably continue to do if he continues at his current rate. 

If the lad doesn't have the potential to make it with us, then grand, take his chances with NI.  But otherwise we should be looking to keep him on-board.  As Daniel McDonnell points out in the Indo this week, our first 11 is full of so-called "late bloomers" e.g.: Arter, Walters, Coleman, McClean, Ward.

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:25am
Usual sh!te here, someone makes a good suggestion and gets laughed at Embarrassed Same lads arguing on who might have hinted they had spare SC tickets to offload in a shady Bratislava bar while half cut LOL

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:41am
Edit.

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:25am
McEleney is from Derry, playing for the north should not be an option for him.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

He's entitled to play for whatever side he likes and his decision should be respected.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:45am

Nothing worse that an unfunny WUM. At least try to inject some humour into your posts. 

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
This should be his defining season now that Horgan has moved on. Still a bit to prove before he come's on anyone's international radar. In saying that no one would have predicted 12 months ago that Horgan would be in the international picture now

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Usual sh!te here, someone makes a good suggestion and gets laughed at Embarrassed Same lads arguing on who might have hinted they had spare SC tickets to offload in a shady Bratislava bar while half cut LOL

Agree totally, complete disregard for the league or the player or both. Ridiculous

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Nothing worse that an unfunny WUM. At least try to inject some humour into your posts. 
I am not wumming, my honest opinion.

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

This should be his defining season now that Horgan has moved on. Still a bit to prove before he come's on anyone's international radar. In saying that no one would have predicted 12 months ago that Horgan would be in the international picture now

He plays in a different position than Horgan did, shouldn't make any difference if Horgans there or not

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I am not wumming, my honest opinion.
There ya go, Franko, there's the comedy you were looking for    

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He plays in a different position than Horgan did, shouldn't make any difference if Horgans there or not

Well Horgan and Towel didn't play in the same position either but you could argue Towell leaving was the making of Horgan because he stepped up to the plate

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:44pm
Well you could argue it but I wouldn't, Horgan was also brilliant when Towell was there, he just never got the right offer so he stayed

If anything Finn leaving will be better for paddy

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:45pm

Well you could argue it but I wouldn't, Horgan was also brilliant when Towell was there, he just never got the right offer so he stayed

You have seen the most of him, is he good enough for a call up to the squad? I have been impressed when I have watched him but thought he was just a bit off it. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off as readily as others have done.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You have seen the most of him, is he good enough for a call up to the squad? I have been impressed when I have watched him but thought he was just a bit off it. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off as readily as others have done.

Ahem

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Ahem

http://forum.ybig.ie/darron-gibson_topic17027_page229.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.ybig.ie/darron-gibson_topic17027_page229.html

I'll stick with Shoco, thanks though.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Ahem

http://forum.ybig.ie/darron-gibson_topic17027_page229.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.ybig.ie/darron-gibson_topic17027_page229.html

I'll stick with Shoco, thanks though.

If mccleans brother had any balls whelan wouldn't have knees.

Anyways mceleny- miles more talent than mcclean but not good enough for us.....no dazzler like

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:48am

Very talented but tends to drift in and out of games especially when playing out on the right, wouldn't provide the same defensive cover as horgan did on the left , just needs a bit more consistency, look at his two games against BATE, killed us in the first game and tore them apart in the second.

Would like to see him more central now that Finn is gone, but think he will end up out wide for the most part

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net