URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=53690
Printed Date: 02 May 2024 at 2:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
Posted By: The GerK
Subject: A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:17am
Have changed this up a bit folks.
Going to package this as A to Z of moments that made you proud to be an Irish soccer fans

IE..A is for Aldo v Mexico...Great to see the passion blah blaf
B..is for Bosnia. The magic moment we qualified for Euro 2016

As part of our new content section, which will be live next week, we will be collating content from the forum and packaging it up into engaging stories that will be shared through social channels etc.

So I am asking you to post moments in Irish foot ball that made you proud to bed Irish.
This can be anything, from Ray Houghton's goal in Stuttgart to Stephen Rice's goal for Shamrock Rovers in White Hart Lane.
Or more obscure like when Tony Cascarino put it up to the Turks, or when the YBIG community joined together to raise 80k for Dave Langan.

Fire away folks

Replies:
Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:32am
Shane Long vs zee Germans. A special special night that put the doubters and begrudgers firmly back in their box.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:33am
Jeez so many!  Monies raised by YBIG for so many charities down the years, to YBIG's gesture when the Austrian fans got mugged.  

The start of the jolly Green Army from 1988 remains a massive memory however for how we utterly charmed the Germans during Euro 88, I'll scan and post the letter that appeared in the Indo from the German owners of The Dubliner Pub in Cologne from after the tournament.  That paved the way in my opinion for how Irish fans have been welcomed for away trips ever since (apart from a couple of away venue exceptions such as Moscow and Bratislava and one or two more).  Euro 88 lit the touchpaper and Irish fans have been setting cities alight ever since in my opinion.  Long may that continue as I know it will.

Other examples of how proud a Paddy I've been were the Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, a show of real defiance when the country and the team were in utter sh*te, the atmosphere at half time in Hanover in 1988 when we were a goal up and playing the USSR off the pitch having beaten England three days earlier, this was real hair on the back of the neck stuff, I'll never forget it.

Sheedy's goal in Cagliari, fook that was special as we were all drowned rats from the thunderstorm and being bated by the English fans that was 'aving a disco up to that point.  Up yours yiz shower of bastds. Tongue

More will come to mind later. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:36am
Aldo and Big Jack sticking it to that prick of a FIFA official in Orlando during the WC game against the Mexicans

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:10am
Houghton's goal v England will always be my stand out moment it's what made me fall in love with the beautiful game. Dave Barry's goal v Bayern Munich is very close to my heart also.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
I think the accolades that followed euro 2012, best fans at the tournament and we were out in the first round.
Is great knowing I was part of it.
There'll be so many others and I'm looking forward to reading them.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:34am
Glen Whelan's strike and celebration vs Italy 09. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:38am
Rob Kiernan's handling of Leigh Griffiths in the Scottish cup semi final to seal his place in the Ireland squad for the next campaign

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Rob Kiernan's handling of Leigh Griffiths in the Scottish cup semi final to seal his place in the Ireland squad for the next campaign

Heart was bursting with pride as the tears streamed down my face. It was majestic

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:21pm
My Granda passed away during the week and at the funeral my Dad told a tale of him supporting Ireland as a 23 year old. My Granda told me the same story recently enough and he was able to recite the whole Ireland team with the club teams they played for and talked me through the goals we scored. The match was England away in Goodison in 1949. We were complete underdogs with a hiding expected. England had never lost at home as far as I know. Goals from Con Martin and Peter Farrell gave us a 2-0 win.

On the way back to the boat my Granda was asked 'Oi Paddy, what score was the game'. '2-0' he replied. 'We only beat you 2-0?? Bloody hell'. 'No, we beat you'. A very proud memory for him.

Agree with FW about the FOA in Gdansk,incredible to be there for that. 

Many lads on on here have a lot to be proud of for their work through YBIG for various charities.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Terry Mancicni
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:24pm
Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, was magical. And not for the bollixology that was spun in the media after about the fans being there for a piss-up or how could we be singing like that at 4-0. It was a incredible moment of solidarity and defiance. The country was in the sh*te, the team had performed poorly and had failed to get the fans to a major tournament in 10 years. Yet that 10mins of continuous singing encapsulated the spirit, fight and never say die attitude of the country. That moment and the reaction it got worldwide was a very proud moment for us.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm
Well said Terry Thumbs Up

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Terry Mancicni Terry Mancicni wrote:

Fields of Athenry in Gdansk, was magical. And not for the bollixology that was spun in the media after about the fans being there for a piss-up or how could we be singing like that at 4-0. It was a incredible moment of solidarity and defiance. The country was in the sh*te, the team had performed poorly and had failed to get the fans to a major tournament in 10 years. Yet that 10mins of continuous singing encapsulated the spirit, fight and never say die attitude of the country. That moment and the reaction it got worldwide was a very proud moment for us.

thought that was an embarrassing moment myself. As fans we are self indulgent, love a pat on the head.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: cliffrichard
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
One moment to distinguish how us Irish fans are a bit different. Paris, September 2004. French national anthem. 40,000 Irish singing along. No boos. No jeers. The footage of Raymond Domenech and the entire French bench turning and looking down to our end. Magic. Roy Keane and Kilbane absolutely bossed the midfield that night as well. If only O'Shea had finished that chance at the back stick. 12 years later, I still don't know how he missed it. There's a youtube video somewhere of the anthems etc. Can't link it at the moment, will find it later.

The fans match in Torun 2012 was special as well...serious crowd, surprisingly decent game of ball, considering some of the donkeys togging out for us, followed by one of the great nights on an Irish away trip with FW leading an entire beerhall in a repertoire of Irish ballads, songs, and of course,  One Night in November. It was the perfect tonic which went some way to softening the blow after the Spanish game in Gdansk Clap

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:47pm
Seeing Rob Kiernan doing the bouncy and celebrating after beating Celtic it demonstrates how far we've come as a society. Open and accepting to all, recently passed gay marriage and now our ex u21 captain playing and flourishing for the Teddy Bears

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:48pm
Loads of memories for me :

- Outside Hennesseys in Kingsbury before the friendly at Wembley. The sing songs there and outside the tube stop were brilliant. 
- Paris 2004 : Just for the sheer number of fans that travelled.
- The first friendly in Fulham against Colombia. Nobody really knew there was a game on (Local people etc) but they certainly did after !
- Was mentioned by Gerk but the Rovers - Spurs game is one of my favourite ever games over here in the 15 years I've been here. The number of fans, the non-stop chanting, the madness when Ricer's goal went in. Worked at the time with a Spurs season ticket holder and he reckoned that was a loudest away fans that had been to white hart lane in years. Went with lads from Limerick and Galway and they were joining in the songs by the end !

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:50pm
it has to be Shane long v germany. 

Beating the world champions in a crunch game after 13 years of not beating a team ranked higher than us at home. Also considering the fact that they humiliated us 6-1 at home only 3 years before that, and how we embarrassed ourselves at the euros. 

After that it would be

France away, superb performance, just not enough on the night but i was really proud of the display.

Spain in the world cup, another great performance, should have beaten them.

Holland at home, beating an arrogant dutch team with 10 men, inspiring performance. 

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Portal
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

So I am asking you to post moments in Irish foot ball that made you proud to bed Irish.

Is this the home game equivalent of the Polish sweethearts thread?

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:04pm
1. Shane Long goal and the result(maybe cos it was recent but still raises the hairs)
2. Penalty shootout against Romania
3. Dutch away match (Watching in a quiet hotel in Wexford and the place went off)
4. Macedonia Away( getting a round of applause from Macedonians in a restuarant that their former keeper who played against us owns, when we called in after the game which he asked us to,)

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:07pm
Stuttgart 06 - the usual village idiots kicking a ball as high as you can running into people crashing tables trying to catch it despite people standing/sitting around gernarlly enjoying a beer,  and people trying to get across the crowd,

A high ball lands about a foot away from a German toddler who burst into tears (his dad was trying to get through the crowd) A couple of irish fans ( not the ejjits) nearby went over and consoled him for a good 5 mins, think they gave him a scarf as well and he and his da went on their way with a smile

I personally would of told the toddler to man the fuk up Smile but still, I thought it was a really nice jesture  

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:08pm
World Cup last 16 match against Spain in 2002. It was the first World Cup Ireland qualified for that I was old enough to remember. Duff tearing it up down the wing. Although it was a missed opportunity they played brilliantly and to do it against a footballing powerhouse like Spain was special. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Seeing Rob Kiernan doing the bouncy and celebrating after beating Celtic it demonstrates how far we've come as a society. Open and accepting to all, recently passed gay marriage and now our ex u21 captain playing and flourishing for the Teddy Bears

your attention seeking, 'Look at me  , look at me' posts really are tedious at this stage for about 99% of this site, the other 1 % being the other fake profile you invent so you can agree with yourself

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:33pm
John Delaney standing up to Sepp Blatter!

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:38pm
Robbie v the Germans in 2002

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Stuttgart 06 - the usual village idiots kicking a ball as high as you can running into people crashing tables trying to catch it despite people standing/sitting around gernarlly enjoying a beer,  and people trying to get across the crowd,

A high ball lands about a foot away from a German toddler who burst into tears (his dad was trying to get through the crowd) A couple of irish fans ( not the ejjits) nearby went over and consoled him for a good 5 mins, think they gave him a scarf as well and he and his da went on their way with a smile

I personally would of told the toddler to man the fuk up Smile but still, I thought it was a really nice jesture  

That toddler is probably about 12. I reckon his spelling of English words is better than yours by now, too.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:07pm

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

That toddler is probably about 12. I reckon his spelling of English words is better than yours by now, too.

LOLLOLLOLAngry

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:12pm
The day Irish fans held John Delaney aloft to cheers of jubilation after he had generously opened the FAI coffers to give free drink to fans on the disco train. It also meant that all the slabs of beer previously purchased could be saved for later. It was heart rendering to see how the football commuity united behind their leader on foreign soil. It would bring a tear to your eye. Proud to be Irish!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:13pm
God, where do you start? There are so many.

Long v Germany in Dublin has to be at the top: we beat the World Champions, ffs, and the place was electric
The atmosphere that night in the Aviva: especially the last few minutes
O'Shea v Germany in Gelsenkirchen
Those two games in Paris: performances, support, the lot
The Fields in Gdansk (much and all as it divides opinion)
Richie Dunne's "none shall pass" display in Moscow
Drawing with the world champions Italy in Bari
Keane's equaliser in Ibaraki: if you listen to the BBC commentary, Motson is resigned to Ireland losing despite their performance until it goes in. The number of Japanese fans celebrating like mad really demonstrated our appeal to the neutrals.

Those are definitely my top moments.

I know there are more from further back but I don't really remember Italia '90 and there was only one massive moment from USA '94.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The day Irish fans held John Delaney aloft to cheers of jubilation after he had generously opened the FAI coffers to give free drink to fans on the disco train. It also meant that all the slabs of beer previously purchased could be saved for later. It was heart rendering to see how the football commuity united behind their leader on foreign soil. It would bring a tear to your eye. Proud to be Irish!

Pity they didn't drop him. Might of knocked some sense into him

-------------

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Some great moments already mentioned .

O'Sheas last moment equaliser against Germany and the mayhem that followed is another in my opinion.

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
Our travelling support has been smashing for years and does make you proud to come from a country where you know you can travel and be welcomed due to having earned an excellent reputation. Our behaviour at all the major events has been great and even though I don't care much for the BFITW nonsence we really are very well behaved, respectful of our hosts and good humoured. This is actually reasonably unique in football support where many other countries intimidate and disrespect locals when they visit.

The Fields in Gdansk was special - I felt it was a show of defiance where we may have been beaten but never defeated. We've come out of tougher corners. Those who disagree can do one, they just don't get it. Although to be fair the TV pictures showed a lot more eejits than I remember from the moment.

Football wise our overall performance at tournaments, the games against England where we're unbeaten in three decades, Mcateer v the Dutch, Robbie and Shane Long against Germany have been proud moments. Also the fact we are one of, I think, only three teams who have qualified for multiple world cups and always got out of our group is a source of pride too.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

1. Shane Long goal and the result(maybe cos it was recent but still raises the hairs)
2. Penalty shootout against Romania
3. Dutch away match (Watching in a quiet hotel in Wexford and the place went off)
4. Macedonia Away( getting a round of applause from Macedonians in a restuarant that their former keeper who played against us owns, when we called in after the game which he asked us to,)

Now have had a real think about this question , like someone said so many really . But still can't get past that we were going to play in a world cup quarter final in Rome  for what happened that day against Romania .

That moment will live with me for ever , when David scored .......

Proud, not  sure is a right team for it but the day we played Wales at Croke Park , it was so hard to imagine that this could happen in our country , never forget the anthems still chokes up even now .

Last funny really as this really touched me we were in the posher seats in Yerevan and at the end of the game a father and son was walking along in front of us and Irish lad gave him his scarf .
The look of joy on the boys face was matched by the Father also and was given a huge cheer as he walked along , very simple really but always sticks in my mind of the Irish  are all about at an away game .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:35pm
One of my great memories is Sean St Ledger putting us 2-1 up against Italy in croke park late on(I know we conceded after)
But the seconds after the goal I don't think I have ever seen anything like it I remember looking across at the hogan stand and it was like the stand was moving with all the jumping up and down add to that the noise which was deafening!
Pure magic!!

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Actually just remembered two:

The train platform in Tokyo on the way to the Caneroon match. The media had said there would be max 5,000 Irish in Japan yet the platform was mobbed with paddies. Then the scene when walking into the stadium and all the flags and you just felt this was gonna be something special. Immense pride that a nation of our size could muster such support so far from home.

Secondly, the anthem before the game against Croatia in Poznan. I welled up and could hardly sing it. It had been so long since we had been to a finals. Alas it all went down hill from there.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

My Granda passed away during the week and at the funeral my Dad told a tale of him supporting Ireland as a 23 year old. My Granda told me the same story recently enough and he was able to recite the whole Ireland team with the club teams they played for and talked me through the goals we scored. The match was England away in Goodison in 1949. We were complete underdogs with a hiding expected. England had never lost at home as far as I know. Goals from Con Martin and Peter Farrell gave us a 2-0 win.

On the way back to the boat my Granda was asked 'Oi Paddy, what score was the game'. '2-0' he replied. 'We only beat you 2-0?? Bloody hell'. 'No, we beat you'. A very proud memory for him.

Many lads on on here have a lot to be proud of for their work through YBIG for various charities.

It was their defeat at home outside the 'home nations'. Love hearing stories from that game, that team aren't recognised enough.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
First foreign team to beat them in England and not the Hungarians as they'd have you believe

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
Surely it should all be football wise lads. If we as fans were an ice cream we would like ourselves to death. 

-------------

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:58pm
Despite being all over the world following the Irish team including World Cups,post game piss up after Germany game in Chiba and Euros and home matches etc the moment that made me most proud was watching the game away to Russia in 2011 when Richard Dunne was at his best.

I wasnt even at the game but sitting in my living room whilst feeding/holding my new born son.

As i said in another post i wanted to explain to him and show him, even tho he didnt know what was going on, why his dad goes all over the world supporting the Irish team and what it was all about and why it matters.I wanted him to see the passion and dedication of the fans,the spirit of the players. First time father.Two of us crying like babies after it.A magical moment.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

First foreign team to beat them in England and not the Hungarians as they'd have you believe

Wales beat them in 1920. Wales is derived from a word meaning foreigners. Make of that what you will.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:10pm
If we're talking on the field....

Shane Long, Germany. A brilliant moment, a brilliant goal. Can't stop watching it, the crowds reaction and thinking back to full-time, the sheer emotion of it. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up

It was also the greatest two fingers you could show to any Rugby snob or barstooler with no interest in the national team who have slated the Senior Team and those who follow them across the World. 

Richard Dunne in Russia is a worthy mention too

Numerous late goals in our last campaign might not feature highly for some but it revived our never say die attitude amongst the masses once more. And we made those points count in the end!

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:15pm
My proudest moments was when mc loughlin scored in belfast to send us through to usa 94, was too young for italia 90 but had been watching the vhs from it from about 92 and absolutely loved it, the theme tune, the fans interviewS, footage of training. Then onto beating the italians in 94 who had broken our hearts in 90, i remember watchin it in ibiza on holiday with the parents. Rememeber a few spanish guys congratulating us and remember feeling about 10 foot tall and genuinely belived we could win the world cup.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:30pm
I'm going to go with two. My earliest memory of a famous Ireland victory was watching on TV when Ireland beat the mighty USSR in 1974 with Don Givens scoring a hat trick and Liam Brady making his debut. Some of the crowd were up on top of the roof in Dalymount.

The other one was when we were sat on our backsides, when the Bulgaria v Scotland match ended in Sofia with a Scottish victory, that would send us to our first ever finals in Germany. Having gone so close on many occasions before I thought we'd never get a chance to participate in a major final. Then getting there and being so competitive was an even bigger buzz, especially beating England in our first ever game at a major final tournament.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:48pm

Lovely story Z 👏👏😥🇮🇪

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
1/ Roy keane performance vs Holland at home and Jason Mc goal vs Holland
2/Liam Brady's silky goal vs Brazil
3/David O'Leary penalty vs Romania
4/Tony Galvin's mazy run that ended up in houghton's goal vs England 88
5/Ireland's performance vs france in wc qualifiers in a 3/2 win `
6/Any Aldo performance in the green shirt
7/Any Mark Lawrenson and kevin Moran's performances  as partnership in the green shirt
8/Ronnie Whelan's scissor beauty
9/PAUL MC GRATH
10/IRELAND TEAM'S PERFORMANCE VS SPAIN  AT WC 2002
11/The very best right forward of his time playing for IRELAND ..... Steven Heighway

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:23pm
Galvin's mazy run??????????😅😅😅😆

-------------

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:31pm
The ones that made me proudest have all been said and explained here; Shane Long v the Germans, McAteer, Keano at the death in Ibaraki, Duffer in the second round, Dunne in Moscow... One that made me fiercely proud from the last campaign: McClean's almighty (and fair!) reducer on Milik, and the absolute almighty roar that went up after. Just one of those great moments. the roof came off the f**king place Clap

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Missy
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:19pm
Anthem at every game

Posted By: OscarDelta
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm
To me its gotta be 1988, been in UK then for 2 years and listening to the patronising garbage about we along to make up numbers and it was England's to win.

Studying desperately for exams and didn't see the game as no working TV in common area in house and one guy with a TV deliberately decided no football........................

Scoring and holding on was brilliant.
What rubbed it further for England fans was BBC decided the following Satuday that it was showing Ireland v Holland rather than the England game as both at same time.
Work was fun and got my exams :)

---
Japan was wonderful as we were 1st game in Japan for World cup, Robbie's goal was out of this world given who against.
-----
France 2004 when French National Anthem was sung by everybody was hair on back of neck standing up moment, got free tickets to that game as guy who got me tickets and was with me at game refused to accept payment because way we as fans had behaved.
--------------
Bringing my lad to Brazil game in London when full shirt was down to his feet and having fans demand a picture with him because he was so sweet and good natured.

He was a passenger with his mum during our 2 friendlys in London in 2004.

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
Euro 88 takes some beating and qualifiying for Italia 90 in Malta ,fellas running into the ground with their suitcases having been delayed due to fog at  Dublin airport LOL and Bohs beating Rangers!

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:11pm

International: aside from the many great moments, just being on the Kop in 1995 aged 11 against the Dutch was a special moment. There was a clear sense before the game that we were a spent force so it was a foregone conclusion in many ways against mostly an Ajax side that had just won the Champions League that year. Of course, we went in hope but was a fair result, Very moving as a kid to see YNWA sung to Charlton by both Dutch and Irish fans after the game and a good proportion of the Irish fans on the kop singing Aida, the usual Dutch chant at the time, as the Dutch players did their lap of honour.

Niall Quinn sliding in against Van Breuklen in Palermo was the moment I fell in love, remember my old man shaking me up and down in front of the fireplace telling me that my lucky Ireland hat had done it (on it's debut mind!) Clap

Domestically, torn between a few moments but #1:

Pats beating Kilkenny 2-1 in Buckley Park to win the league with about 15 mins to go after Shels threw it away in Dundalk. The FAI had the league trophy sent up to Dundalk so Gormley and Ozo lifting some Kilkenny District League trophy instead on the night LOL Never experienced celebrations like it when the goal went in though, very special

Tony Sheridan's wonder strike in Landsdowne to deny Pats the FAI cup around 95 or 96, lovely strike by any standards

Seeing lads throwing a battered sausage at Tomas Ravelli a few months after Sweden reached the semis of USA 94 when IFK Gotenburg played a LOI 11 in Tolka, in fairness he took it in good spirits LOL

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:29am
YES GALVIN mazy run got the goal vs  England if I recalled correctly  he was  Tottenham's main  left mid at the time

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:10am
Watch it again

-------------

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:54am
McClean's tackle, St Ledger v Italy, Dunne in Moscow, Keane v France, O'Shea & Long v Germany, Kilbane v Czech

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 6:57am
McLoughlins goal in Windsor was very special. I remember trying to practice the exact same strike for weeks afterwards.

Mcgraths performance against Italy in 94.

Keane scoring against Germany in the '02 World Cup was something else. 

So many unbelievable moments down the years. Love this team Clap

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:20am
Javier. Galvin's mazy run consisted of helping a dropping ball (that Wright and Stevens had messed up) into the penalty area from which we scored in Stuttgart.

-------------

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:27am
Recent memories:

Dunne in Moscow
Keane last minute goal v Italy
Keane hitting 50 in Macedonia
Long v Germany

The Past:

Draw in Belfast
McGrath v Italy 94
Keane v Holland
One night in Tehran

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: richie_os
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:43am
Matt Hollands goal against Cameroon was a huge moment as people were a bit downbeat about our chances after Keane left, and everyone thought we would be down and out at 1-0 to Cameroon.

Was another that every kid in every playground was trying to replicate afterwards

-------------
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:06pm
McLoughlin's equaliser in Windsor Park was the 1st time an Irish player made me cry tears of joy. Houghton v Italy in 94 was the 2nd time! :-)

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

McLoughlin's equaliser in Windsor Park was the 1st time an Irish player made me cry tears of joy. Houghton v Italy in 94 was the 2nd time! :-)
Bear 11 made me cry , hey he stood on my foot when Robbie scored in Macedonia Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: tobymcclure
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 3:02pm
anything before 2000 is before my time but:

1: keane vs germany 2002
2: mcateer vs holland 2001
3: long vs germany 2015
4: Ireland vs Bosnia 2015 (breezing in playoff to decent side)
5: Dunne vs Russia 2011 the iron curtain 

-------------
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            

Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It was their defeat at home outside the 'home nations'. Love hearing stories from that game, that team aren't recognised enough.

On a cold Sunday afternoon in the late 70s, I was waiting for a bus going to Milltown wearing my Rovers scarf.  An old man pulled up in a Leyland Mini, almost as old as him, and he asked me was I going to Rovers, and did I want a lift.  Very nice chap and we talked about the current Rovers team, When we got to Milltown he told me to stay with him, he pulled up at the gates, beeped his horn, some lad looked out, opened the gates and we drove in. I said to him you must be well known here, whats your name. Peter Farrell was the reply, I said your the man who stuck the ball in the English net (long before Rayo was even born lol) and he replied yes. Ended up having a few beers with him and hearing a few great stories before he drove us both home. An absoloute gent and a legend.  Passed away in 1999.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:14pm
In no particular order

Liam Brady debut at Dalymount beating Soviet Union 3- 0

Liam Brady scoring against Brazil as we beat them 1 - 0 in front of only 12,000 IIRC at Lansdowne

Coming back from 1 - 0 to beat the Dutch 2 - 1 under Eoin Hand.

Watching RTEs live coverage of Bulgaria and Scotland in 1987 in Lowrys pub on Talbot Street, running out on the street when McKay scored and no-one seemed to even know we were on the verge of qualification.

Rayo in Stuttgart

Ronnie in Hanover

Valetta 1989 when we confirmed our place in Italia 90, rang the missus from the airport to tell her Id be late home 

O Learys penalty

Binghams face in Belfast

Rayo again in Gaints Stadium

McAteer V Holland

Robbie in Ibaraki, really taught we would be changing our flights home a minute earlier...

Duffer in Yokohama

Dunner in Moscow

Tallin

O Shea and Long against the Germans

Brady in Bosnia

And probably a few I missed

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

On a cold Sunday afternoon in the late 70s, I was waiting for a bus going to Milltown wearing my Rovers scarf.  An old man pulled up in a Leyland Mini, almost as old as him, and he asked me was I going to Rovers, and did I want a lift.  Very nice chap and we talked about the current Rovers team, When we got to Milltown he told me to stay with him, he pulled up at the gates, beeped his horn, some lad looked out, opened the gates and we drove in. I said to him you must be well known here, whats your name. Peter Farrell was the reply, I said your the man who stuck the ball in the English net (long before Rayo was even born lol) and he replied yes. Ended up having a few beers with him and hearing a few great stories before he drove us both home. An absoloute gent and a legend.  Passed away in 1999.

Was it his house in Milltown, or someone elses?

Great story though

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:25pm

Was it his house in Milltown, or someone elses?

Great story though

Rovers used to play in Milltown, best pitch in Ireland those days, 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:26pm
Did they never heard of it.....

-------------

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:57pm
Born in the late 80's so don't remember anything before '93.

Think all the usual moments have been mentioned so will try to mention some others.
Shane Long's header in Wembley.
The Iron Curtain.
Whelan's wonder goal v Italy and those few minutes after St Ledger's header.
The performance vs France in '09 in Paris.
Duffer vs Spain.
The atmosphere in the recent Germany/Bosnia games.

Domestically, well it was in Europe, but Bohs beating BATE 3-0 in Dalyer in 2003. The atmosphere vs Gent in the next round was brilliant too but lost 0-1. Don't follow them as much as I used to but loved that team from those years.

Kevin Hunt's late equaliser in Tolka in 2003 to make it 2-2 Clap

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
The Netherlands 2001. The pride which was shown to overcome an excellent Dutch team, with 10 men, and a wall of Orange behind Given's goal. Roy Keane's performance was one of the best in an Irish shirt, while Keane and Duff belied their age in really leading the line well. McAteer's goal was a truly unforgettable moment to be in the East Stand for. We may have been slightly upstaged by England's 5-1 win over Germany later that day, but our achievement was significantly greater.

Posted By: BlackKat
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:12pm
O'Shea against Germany for me. Was in a sh*t place mentally at the time but as corny as it sounds that never give up attitude was very welcoming for me.

Posted By: Hans Moleman
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:29pm

In no particular order

Liam Brady scoring against Brazil as we beat them 1 - 0 in front of only 12,000 IIRC at Lansdowne

Watching RTEs live coverage of Bulgaria and Scotland in 1987 in Lowrys pub on Talbot Street, running out on the street when McKay scored and no-one seemed to even know we were on the verge of qualification.

Rayo in Stuttgart

Ronnie in Hanover

Valetta 1989 when we confirmed our place in Italia 90, rang the missus from the airport to tell her Id be late home 

O Learys penalty

Binghams face in Belfast

McAteer V Holland

Robbie in Ibaraki, really taught we would be changing our flights home a minute earlier...

Duffer in Yokohama

Dunner in Moscow

Tallin

Brady in Bosnia

Some brilliant memories Clap

Quinns lovely volley at Wembley in 91?? was another one that must have been tried out a million times out kicking ball. Great goal.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:41pm

In no particular order

Rayo in Stuttgart

Ronnie in Hanover

O Learys penalty

Binghams face in Belfast

McAteer V Holland

Duffer in Yokohama

Dunner in Moscow

Tallin

Brady in Bosnia

Some quality memories there bud.

You mention O'Learys peno I remember dancing up and down my brothers street in Sunderland  for ages with my brother after than hit the back of net much to the bemusement of his neighbours.
Big smile

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: N16
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 11:32pm
London born, Irish parents, went to the local catholic school where 95% of us were of Irish descent. Went to Wembley in 85 when we got beat as my first Ireland game with my dad and caught the bug. Obviously loved Euro 88 and the magic that surrounded that tournament.

But for me Italia 90 was was the one.  I was 18, enjoying life, loving the pint and the craic and watched the Romania match in the Archway Tavern.  Hundreds and hundreds of us in a venue where we were spilling out of the doors.  It was hot, sweaty, tense and ultimately came down to O'Leary.  I'm a gooner, we all were round there and we all cried, 'Not David O'Leary!!!'

But fair play, he banged it in, we went mental and ran outside.  Irish poured out of every pub and we bought one of London's main thoroughfares to a stand still. Van drivers beeped their horns and drivers got out of their cars, shook our hands and hugged us.  Would never happen now, they'd hate us for interrupting their journeys but they genuinely got off on our wild abandon and joyous celebrations that day.

Love the boys in green.

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 12:01am
Some crackers here.
This will make a nice article

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:32am
i remember as a small kid watching on TV sheedys equaliser against England at italia 90! Mc Loughlins goal aswell in Belfast will always be special! As someone previously said the atmosphere outside Hennessys pub in Kingsbury in 2013 was brilliant and the fans at one stage bringing traffic to a standstill! the little off licence next door was running out of beer and the owner couldn't hide his delight at all these fans who had made Kingsbury the place to be before the game instead of central London! O'shea's goal against Germany aswell and the crazy celebrations as up until that point I don't think anyone was going be having any great memories of dreary Gelsenkirchen!! on the Homefront in 1999 a group of us went to Galway for the Pats v Galway game but we had no way of getting back we took a chance that the supporters bus would have empty seats but they were all full! Pat Dolan became aware of our plight and he allowed the 4 of us get a lift back on the team bus! Can vividly remember stopping at Supermacs in Loughrea and a box load of food been bought for the journey back and Dolan saying help yourselfs!!

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:42am
The one that stands out for me is when Robbie Keane scored against France in 2009 in Stade de France. Traveled over to Paris thinking we had no chance at all after losing in Dublin. Had a great day at the Eiffel Tower before the match and heading out to the stadium I thought we'd be looking at a 2 or 3-0 defeat. I couldn't get a ticket for the Irish end so was in with the French fans. I have to say they were an absolute nightmare. I was with my wife and Johnny2times from the forum. Got nothing but abuse off the people around us right from the start.

The feeling when Robbie Keane scored was like something I've never felt at a football match before. Disbelief, excitement and a feeling that we could pull off probably our best ever result. That moment and the couple of minutes that followed were pure joy.

In contrast, at the end of the match, I can't ever remember feeling as depressed about football. A feeling of anger and injustice. I still can't listen to that bloody Black Eyed Peas song.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I still can't listen to that bloody Black Eyed Peas song.
Me too, fcuking hate that song.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:05am
TFOA in Gdansk stands out . Special moment In what was a sh*t time on and off the pitch for our country . The comments from people in countries all around the world on YouTube are just incredible . Makes me proud to be Irish reading them

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:18am
the other day i watched a video on killianm2 of the penalties and the post match celebtations from the u18 euro final against germany in 98. hearing george hamilton yell ireland are the european champions. great stuff. there must have been one or two lads from on here that were in cyprus that day.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

the other day i watched a video on killianm2 of the penalties and the post match celebtations from the u18 euro final against germany in 98. hearing george hamilton yell ireland are the european champions. great stuff. there must have been one or two lads from on here that were in cyprus that day.

Great channel for Ireland clips

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 3:25pm
With the truly awful 5 or 6 year spell that came after it, hindsight made the Spain second round game at the World Cup a nice memory despite the outcome. The fact we had a team that went toe-to-toe with the Spaniards and arguably should have won the game made me proud for a period where there was precious little to be proud about.

The atmosphere in Croke Park for the first leg of the France playoff was something else as well, didn't get matched until the Poland home game this campaign. When Anelka scored there was a brief moment of silence and then absolutely deafeningly loud noise trying to get the team up for it again. As well there was one moment i remember vividly in that game, Duffer absolutely skinning Gallas in the corner and leaving him for dead, wins a corner in the end, turns over to the crowd gesturing like a maniac and the crowd go mental Thumbs Up The electric atmospheres stay with you for a long time!

-------------

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 4:56pm
It was mentioned before but the 2-2 draw to Italy in Croker was amazin. The excitement of the goals, Whelan's due to the class of it and St. Ledger's with the "holy f*ck we are gonna beat Italy" thoughts. OK disappointing to concede then but was one of the, if not THE best game of football I have personally witnessed. With the situation being that even if we had beaten Italy, I think we still needed them to drop points against Cyprus, so the equaliser wasn't heart breaking as it could have been.

I remember coming out of the pub a little while later as the Italian team bus was leaving the stadium, and based on the great game of football we had just witnessed a lot of Irish guys stood and applauded their bus

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:18pm
Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:23pm
Aye, first and foremost it was the utter unbelievable joy that we'd pulled off a result like that, but it was very nice to have that when people were constantly running down the team as sh*te

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"
Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:19pm

The team, certain managers and players get ridiculed on a regular basis by so called supporters.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 
Well said kerryman

Posted By: SRFCpaulie
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:36pm
Germany away and home in the last campaign. There's a lot of people who dismiss the Irish football team and these games shut them up

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Aye, first and foremost it was the utter unbelievable joy that we'd pulled off a result like that, but it was very nice to have that when people were constantly running down the team as sh*te

Sad thing is though that most of those same people are now tripping over themselves to get tickets for the Euros this summer...and God knows how many of those are getting them!

Anyway, not sure I can add to any of the moments mentioned on this tread tbh, they've already been mentioned but my favourites include Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at Giants' Stadium and McGrath's performance in the same match, Matt Holland's screamer against Cameroon in 2002 WC, our performance against Spain in the 2nd round of that tournament, the atmosphere in Gelsenkirchen in 2014 and of course the celebrations for O'Shea's equaliser.

Hopefully more moments to come this summer

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:44pm

Did a Rugby player rob your missus or something you've an awful obsession of painting Rugby fans as bandwagongers when there'll be plenty in France who haven't been to an Ireland game since the last Euros. You'd swear it was something unique the way you always sh*te on about it

-------------

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm

+1

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:27am
z

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Did a Rugby player rob your missus or something you've an awful obsession of painting Rugby fans as bandwagongers when there'll be plenty in France who haven't been to an Ireland game since the last Euros. You'd swear it was something unique the way you always sh*te on about it

Agreed, while some of it is from rugby heads there'll be a lot of people who said that they'd draw the curtains if the team were playing out their back yard, who will now be in France giving it loads about how they're Ireland's biggest fans.

Anyway, none of that matters really, i don't care who jumps on the bandwagon because it doesnt affect my support for the team and its not the same feeling. You're not supporting a team when you hop on when they're doing well and abandon them when they're sh*t, i don't even see how that's an enjoyable experience at all and it's completely against what being a fan is. It's far more rewarding supporting the team through thick and thin. You know what you're getting when you support this team. There'll be a lot of pain and sh*te gut wrenching moments, but sticking it through all of that makes the brilliant moments so much better. I was an emotional wreck after Shane Long's goal and especially after full time because after so much disappointment in big games like those we had finally done it.

I think the next great irish moment for me is gonna begin on Sunday the 12th of June. Getting into Paris and seeing the place start to become completely taken over. Will be a bag of nerves/excitement about the match. The buzz around the place will be incredible Big smile

-------------

Posted By: fr larry duff
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:33am
the thing about the fields of athenry in Gdansk that gave off the wrong impression to the journos and people watching on tv was everytime they zoomed into the crowd they got people (eejits) spotting themselves on the big screen and going mad and cheering cause they were on tv, this gave the impression that we were 'celebrating', 'partying' or whatever.
those of us in the stadium know that wasn't the case and it was being sung in defiance and in fact it was a very sombre, downbeat mood coming out of the stadium that night.  

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:13am
Originally posted by fr larry duff fr larry duff wrote:

the thing about the fields of athenry in Gdansk that gave off the wrong impression to the journos and people watching on tv was everytime they zoomed into the crowd they got people (eejits) spotting themselves on the big screen and going mad and cheering cause they were on tv, this gave the impression that we were 'celebrating', 'partying' or whatever.
those of us in the stadium know that wasn't the case and it was being sung in defiance and in fact it was a very sombre, downbeat mood coming out of the stadium that night.  
And no doubt that's what prompted Roy Keane to come up with that 'let's not just go for the sing-song now and again' line in the ITV studio after the match.

But as you say TFOA was sung in defiance and in loyalty to the team. All Roy Keane was seeing on a tv in a studio in Warsaw was a load of fans singing and spotting themselves on the big screens in the stadium. Bet he didn't have a clue about the dejection among the fans coming out of the stadium or he surely wouldn't have said that.

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:25am
True.

A load of Pixieheads dressed up as Leprechauns.

Versus Italy they started singing it after 20 mins FFS.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:30am

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap Ireland is full of sing when, and only when, you are winning fans.

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:44am
For me our presence and performances at EURO 88 is what stands out. There have been other moments no doubt but that summer was the best closely followed by Italia 90.

I was living and working in London at the time and was only there 6 months before the Euro's. There was anti Irish sentiment and ignorance even among decent English people. The IRA were prominent in the news and Paddy was getting the wrong end of the stick.

Then Houghton put the ball in the net and the rank outsiders beat the mighty England 1-0 and all of a sudden the Irish could play football something that seemed to go under the radar of alot of people across the water. That victory and subsequest performances against the Russians and Dutch put us firmly on the map and now we (the Irish in England) had something to stand tall about. Jaysus we were even getting praised by the English.

I stood 10 feet tall heading into work the Monday after the England game, a very proud Irishman and that would continue right up to Italia 90 where we again confounded the critics and battled with the 'forces' of European football. So thanks to Big Jack and the lads for making a nations emigrant sons very proud to be Irish and not afraid to express that. Great memories that made living away from home that bit easier.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:47pm

I stood 10 feet tall heading into work the Monday after the England game, a very proud Irishman and that would continue right up to Italia 90 where we again confounded the critics and battled with the 'forces' of European football. So thanks to Big Jack and the lads for making a nations emigrant sons very proud to be Irish and not afraid to express that. Great memories that made living away from home that bit easier.
I went to live in Lahndan a few months later so the big one for me was Wembley'91.

The build up was immense and such a scramble for tickets among ex-pats.
At least half the stadium was Irish that night despite Taylor's and the FA's efforts to limit it.
Totally bashed them despite the 1-1 scoreline and made up for the bricks and bottles thrown at us on Wembley Way. I remember watching the recording the next day and you couldnt hear the pundits talking after the game all you heard was 'You'll never beat the Irish'.

I was like a King next day in work.

Totally fcuked up that campaign by not beating the Poles at home.
Would have won Euro92.

-------------

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

I went to live in Lahndan a few months later so the big one for me was Wembley'91.

The build up was immense and such a scramble for tickets among ex-pats.
At least half the stadium was Irish that night despite Taylor's and the FA's efforts to limit it.
Totally bashed them despite the 1-1 scoreline and made up for the bricks and bottles thrown at us on Wembley Way. I remember watching the recording the next day and you couldnt hear the pundits talking after the game all you heard was 'You'll never beat the Irish'.

I was like a King next day in work.

Totally fcuked up that campaign by not beating the Poles at home.
Would have won Euro92.

If Ray Houghton had of converted that chance towards the end Angry - totally destroyed them at Wembley - Taylor even brought on rookie Lee Sharpe at half time in desperation.

I'd like to nominate those who stood on the roof at Dalymount..........

Posted By: peterbelfast
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:40pm
Have almost cried about 10 times reading this thread haha

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net