Forum Description: Qatar n' all in anyways
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=52074
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Belgrade - 5th September 2016 - Travel & Acomm
Posted By: irishmufc
Subject: Belgrade - 5th September 2016 - Travel & Acomm
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm
I know it's early yet (and there's no guarantee it'll be in Belgrade either) but for this trip, maybe a flight into a Croatian coastal resort and a train/bus to Belgrade?

Will probably only do the 3/4 nights rather than a week as the 2 other aways are so close together.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:22pm
All Serbias matches in this campaign have been in Belgrade. I expect it to remain that way. 

Dubrovnik has direct flights which are certainly an option. Driving is not though. The roads are single lane roads you'd find in 1980s Ireland...could take you 8hrs at least non-stop. I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to take a hire car from Croatia into Bosnia never mind onto Serbia so then you are looking at a bus to Sarajevo, spending the night there and then getting a bus the next day. I've done the Sarajevo to Belgrade leg in reverse and it took 8hrs on a bus. A fascinating trip if you want to see the after affects of ethnic cleansing. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

All Serbias matches in this campaign have been in Belgrade. I expect it to remain that way. 

Dubrovnik has direct flights which are certainly an option. Driving is not though. The roads are single lane roads you'd find in 1980s Ireland...could take you 8hrs at least non-stop. I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to take a hire car from Croatia into Bosnia never mind onto Serbia so then you are looking at a bus to Sarajevo, spending the night there and then getting a bus the next day. I've done the Sarajevo to Belgrade leg in reverse and it took 8hrs on a bus. A fascinating trip if you want to see the after affects of ethnic cleansing. 

Like yourself I'd be big into politics and history but I always find I don't have the energy for any museum trips when boozing at Ireland away games.

I wouldn't mind a couple of nights in a Croatian coastal city and a bus over to Belgrade for the night before and night off the match.

-------------

Posted By: orourkeda
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:43pm

Sounds awesome

-------------
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Posted By: orourkeda
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:44pm
Cardiff last.

We could have a Glasgow situation on our hands. Either that or an empty stadium

-------------
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm

Your last line reminds me of the walk from Glasgow CC to Parkhead...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Like yourself I'd be big into politics and history but I always find I don't have the energy for any museum trips when boozing at Ireland away games.

I wouldn't mind a couple of nights in a Croatian coastal city and a bus over to Belgrade for the night before and night off the match.

Trust me the bus journey is a two day affair with a night in Sarajevo in between. If with lads probably best to start from Split instead of Dubrovnik [full of lovely Croatian ladies and nightlife is exceptional]. If you want to do the bus journey to Sarajevo then I suggest stopping off at Mostar for a few hours before continuing on your way with a later bus to Sarajevo. Mostar is a lovely old town with loads of history, a famous bridge and a bloody recent past.

Sarajevo is cool and well worth a visit. Not much of a party scene but the experience of being in an almost completely muslim city in Europe is interesting. Fresh graveyards all over the city where the siege dead are buried.

The rough bit is the journey between Sarajevo and the Bosnian/Serbian border. Beautiful hills and gorges. Lots and lots of new graveyards with white pillar headstones. I estimate 1 in 3 or 4 houses along the road is a burnt out shell. You'll pass plenty of burnt out mosques as well as minefield signs along the road. Cross into Serbia and the landscape flattens out into a massive plain, like the midlands in Ireland minus the bogs, all the way to Belgrade.

Well worth it even if a bit of a trek. You'll pass through a Catholic, Muslim and Eastern Orthodox countries in two days and witness the horrible effects of war.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Your last line reminds me of the walk from Glasgow CC to Parkhead...

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm
Loved Belgrade the last time I was there, got the night train from Sofia. 

Never met friendlier people, would have went out of there way if you asked them anything, if they didn't know they would phone someone to find out haha.

Posted By: caseballs
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm
I'm sure we will find better ways but when I went I did Dublin - Zurich - Belgrade, Belgrade - Munich - Dublin for 320 euro with Lufthansa.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:53pm
Dublin to Budapest on the Saturday, 1 night in Budapest,on to belgrade on Sunday by bus or train. Cheap as chips.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Dublin to Budapest on the Saturday, 1 night in Budapest,on to belgrade on Sunday by bus or train. Cheap as chips.
Thinking of doing the same for the craic. Although the Friday night flight from Stansted is tempting.

Although be warned there's horrific warnings about the night train to Belgrade. Thefts are notorious on it. Will be taking the train or bus during the day. 

-------------

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:34pm
Didn't see this thread - www.airbnb.com/rooms/2087451 , great spot on the river €16 a night

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Didn't see this thread - www.airbnb.com/rooms/2087451 , great spot on the river €16 a night
I can personally vouch for this spot. Stayed there in 2009 on an extended trip after the match in Sofia.

I spent hours sipping beer and chatting to a local on the decking of this place overlooking the river Sava. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:45pm

I can personally vouch for this spot. Stayed there in 2009 on an extended trip after the match in Sofia.

I spent hours sipping beer and chatting to a local on the decking of this place overlooking the river Sava. 

It caught my eye when I was on Air BnB earlier booking something I said I would have a quick look at Belgrade & my plan would be similar to what you were at .... Well the sipping beer & chatting part

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 12:50am
plenty of cheap options for this.
unprotected layovers
Dublin-Paris- Belgrade Ryanair / wizz air
Dublin- Luton -Belgrade Ryanair / Wizz air
protected layovers
Dublin - Istanbul - Belgrade Turkish Airlines
Dublin - Frankfurt - Belgrade Lufthansa
Single Flight Option
Dublin - Budapest Aerlingus or Ryanair

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:26pm
If we don't qualify for France lads, how soon do he reckon ye'll book the flights for this?

I would aim before Christmas as it's always expensive in and around then for people.

November (providing we're not in the playoffs) would probably be the ideal time to book given the aways in Faro and Warsaw.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:32pm
Surely it's a personal decision based on personal finance but usually the earlier you book the cheaper if is. Everything after that is to do with peoples own personal commitments.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Surely it's a personal decision based on personal finance but usually the earlier you book the cheaper if is. Everything after that is to do with peoples own personal commitments.

Feck sake Baldrick I'm only asking, not directing them to book.

Generally I'd prefer to book flights as early as possible given they can fluctuate more wildly (in the hundreds) than accommodation.

I can't see us getting the playoffs so I'd aim to book flights before Christmas.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:42pm
Good for you but what difference does it make if I am booking this year or next.

Surely when you book will be based on your personal finance and when I book will be based on mine!

I don't understand why you were asking when people are booking other than just mindless waffle.

If sounds like the inane nonsense people do when you are ordering a meal! And they ask you what are you ordering! And when you tell them they say oh I was going to order that I might go for something different.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:45pm

Good for you but what difference does it make if I am booking this year or next.

Surely when you book will be based on your personal finance and when I book will be based on mine!

I don't understand why you were asking when people are booking other than just mindless waffle.

If sounds like the inane nonsense people do when you are ordering a meal! And they ask you what are you ordering! And when you tell them they say oh I was going to order that I might go for something different.
You having a bad day?LOL

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 6:51pm
Ha ha :). Grand! Off today. Travelling by train

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:01pm

Wtf?

Is it the wrong time of the month or something?

Fcuk sake it's out of curiosity I suppose, an interest into what the regular away supporters will be doing plans wise.

It is a forum you know.

-------------

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:02pm
Direct flights from eindhoven on Saturday and Tuesday. Perfect. Just another few months of patience till the flights go online.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:05pm

Wtf?

Fcuk sake it's out of curiosity I suppose, an interest into what the regular away supporters will be doing plans wise.

It is a forum you know.

I know that. But a question like. What hotels are good or what's the best route or good spots to go in belgrade all make sense. As it is useful info to help you enjoy the holiday.

Asking when people are going to book their flights is just inane small talk.

You are better than that muff.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:17pm

Wtf?

It is a forum you know.

I know that. But a question like. What hotels are good or what's the best route or good spots to go in belgrade all make sense. As it is useful info to help you enjoy the holiday.

Asking when people are going to book their flights is just inane small talk.

You are better than that muff.

Nah inane small talk is above my usual desperate standard of posts.

I get your point though. Not everything I post can be Plato's Republic to be fair ;).

TBH I get a kick out of the whole research behind away trips. I do all the organising for myself and the lads when we get to go to games. Like Superdave with trains and connections, I actually enjoy the whole organisation and will spend hours on Google maps.

Add to the fact that our current campaign is in dire straits it probably makes my curiousity about Belgrade and Chisanau even more immediate.

-------------

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm

Add to the fact that our current campaign is in dire straits it probably makes my curiousity about Belgrade and Chisanau even more immediate.

6 pages between this one and Modolva tells you all you need to know our chances of making france

I will book the day after France is gone, if nothing else to cheer us up. May well go via Rome and spend a few days there weather in both places should be great

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:34pm
Yeah Belgrade in September should e good

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

6 pages between this one and Modolva tells you all you need to know our chances of making france

I will book the day after France is gone, if nothing else to cheer us up. May well go via Rome and spend a few days there weather in both places should be great
Yep will sit on this one until we know what happens in the Euro's .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:50pm
Coleman, you going to do a trip like that again for this game? Sounds very interesting!

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:48pm
anyone running a bus from budapest?? LOLLOL

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Coleman, you going to do a trip like that again for this game? Sounds very interesting!

a shorter version. was looking at flying into Podgorica with my auld fella and eire 32, a few nights there and then get the train up Belgrade on the Saturday. another option is Ljubljana, a couple if nights there and then train down to Belgrade. loads of options and will nail it down closer to the time.

despite what i said on previous page I'll probably leave Budapest off until the match in Vienna.

-------------

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 8:36am
I'd recommend a place in Montenegro called Kotor for anyone looking for a coastal trip. It's 90 mins south of Dubrovnik and a lot better & a lot cheaper. Get a bus to Kotor from Dubrovnik and after Kotor get a bus to Tivat airport (bout 20mins) and fly direct to Belgrade (45mins)

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:14am
Have kotor and sveti stefan pencilled in myself

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:51am
Definitely flying in for this one,drove the 9 hours the last time and was stuck at the Croatian border passport control for an hour,ill have a look through the emails and try to dig out the name of the city  center hotel we booked,jacuzzi in the room and 2 massive outdoor pools for 30E per night.

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Il Principe
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Definitely flying in for this one,drove the 9 hours the last time and was stuck at the Croatian border passport control for an hour,ill have a look through the emails and try to dig out the name of the city  center hotel we booked,jacuzzi in the room and 2 massive outdoor pools for 30E per night.

this ClapClapClap

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:37pm
Lads if you're thinking of doing the Budapest to Belgrade way do not take Orangeways bus, unless you don't mind breaking down in the Hungarian countryside and the company doing nothing to help you. They are a disaster.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Sure it's only €39 for the train, with one change at Vienna Westbahnhof (or €49 first class), railjet to Vienna, direct Eurocity train onwards.

The 06:04 departure, and the 14 hour journey time, might put you off, of course, not to mention the fact you only have 18 minutes to change in Vienna.

-------------

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Good spot. I'll pm you some tips

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Posted By: Fadqueen
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:25pm
Hi lads I go to all the away games probably know most of yas to see but looking to get more involved with the forums cause it's always good to get I for nation off but never used to write on it. Handy that the games a Monday we get to enjoy a few nights of bugging up the game on the weekend.... Would you say there will be many fans actually in Belgrade on the Saturday night or do you think going to one of the surrounding and cheaper to get to duties would be better

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Fadqueen Fadqueen wrote:

Handy that the games a Monday we get to enjoy a few nights of bugging up the game on the weekend.... Would you say there will be many fans actually in Belgrade on the Saturday night or do you think going to one of the surrounding and cheaper to get to duties would be better

Belgrade is dirt cheap and is as cheap if not cheaper than many of the cities in the Balkans. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of Irish in Belgrade on Saturday night...it has a great nightlife scene.

-------------

Posted By: Fadqueen
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:32pm
Yeah iv connected through it before looks great and only heard great things but I thought it would be cheaper to fly into different places and stay there like Budapest etc .... Pity to be so buzzin for the next set of qualifiers but hopefully the attention will go back on the euros when we beat Gibraltar and Georgia

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:36pm
I've no doubt everyone's focus will be back on the current qualifiers in the next few weeks.

In terms of cost of flying then ya flying into somewhere like Budapest will save on the wallet but you'll have to balance that up with the cost and time of getting to Belgrade from there.

There's plenty of connecting options in Europe from Dublin.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:23am

Kotor is f**king amazing .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:25am
The train from Montenegro to Belgrade is insane . Id highly recommend it

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

giving it serious thought. what's Podgorica like lads?

-------------

Posted By: belgradeboy
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 3:59pm

Don't go by train its a torture :)

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 4:18pm

Not a whole lot in Podgorica to be honest bar a square with a fountain in the middle of it. It's possibly the poorest capital city I have been to and very small.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by belgradeboy belgradeboy wrote:

Don't go by train its a torture :)
that's the attraction. 10 hours of balkan countryside with beer in one hand and burek in the other

-------------

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 4:51am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The 06:04 departure, and the 14 hour journey time, might put you off, of course, not to mention the fact you only have 18 minutes to change in Vienna.

18 minutes is way too close for comfort to get a connecting train, especially to/from an Eastern Europe city, where (lengthy) delays are frequent and must be prepared for. 

Don't bother with apartments in Belgrade, upgrade to a proper hotel room, prices are astonishingly cheap and accommodation is decent. Slavija Square is the main square in central Belgrade, and has the most hotels. It also still bears the remnants of NATO's "visit" to the Chinese Embassy in 1999.

The Old Town is where the action is, with all the sights, the parliament, bars, train/bus station, and where the stadium for the game is. Partizan and Red Star stadiums are less than 2 kms apart, and atmospheres are fervent. It's basically a 2 hour concert during the game, even if/when the away side scores. 

The New Town is more residential/industrial, but has the large Intercontinental (Team) hotel, and the Belgrade Arena, venue of Eurovision 2008. Both are beside a motorway, and getting round the junction to/from the city centre makes the Red Cow Interchange at rush hour look a piece of cake. 

The vast bulk of Irish fans will be personally escorted around the city from the time of arrival to the time of departure by the police. Be prepared for climbing too. Belgrade is very, very hilly, even in the city centre. Think Cobh/Enniscorthy and you have a rough idea of how hilly it is. So with no Metro line, buses and trams are how locals get around. Going there in early September is likely to be quite hot, temperatures around (or even above) the 30c mark. Even at night time they won't drop much. 

Serbia is the only country in Europe to have both Latin and Slavic (Russian) alphabets in it's language. While Latin is widely used, Slavic is extensively used, and there may not always be a Latin translation available. So it might be handy to get some grasp of it. It's the most similiar to ours, and compared to other alphabets across the world, it's not the most difficult to pick up. 

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 1:44pm
Planning, the 18 minute change is in Vienna. The first train is a Salzburg Vienna train so it ought to be on time. I'm not saying I would risk it but it's not an Eastern European train.

-------------

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:44am
Flight booked for this. Over Thursday night late back on the Tuesday. Think will get an apartment on airbnb.

Posted By: brendy_éire
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Flight booked for this. Over Thursday night late back on the Tuesday. Think will get an apartment on airbnb.

What airline? Didn't think they'd be selling seats for that far ahead yet.

-------------
City Till I Die

Posted By: Stretchryan
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:25am
From Luton with wizz air

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:55pm
Return flights on the Tuesday have increased to over £100 stg. Plenty of other options anyway.

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 2:45am
this is just gone live today for acc on booking.com

booked an apartment for 2 nights.. 90 lids.
sleeps 4 https://www.booking.com/hotel/rs/republic-square-apartments.en-gb.html?aid=304142;sid=329f22fa2c02e73285297d9578a90a6c;dcid=2" rel="nofollow - Republic Square Apartments

200 metres from the main square in belgrade.. will do the job

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 12:01pm
If we reach the euros ill have to kick this trip to touch due to annual leave and financial issues

-------------

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 5:49pm
Just booked with gmansdad Clap

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm
Ryanair flights to budapest are live outbound.

-------------

Posted By: TheFieldsOfAthenry
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 6:31pm
So who here has been to Serbia before? Worth the trip? Defo doing Moldova and Wales. I'd do them all only for work and being flat out broke. Strange world eh.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 7:21pm
Anyone who was there last time would likely tell you it was the best trip they've been on, although a lot of that was down to there being a beer festival in town at the same time

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 7:40pm

Anyone who was there last time would likely tell you it was the best trip they've been on, although a lot of that was down to there being a beer festival in town at the same time

I'm calling bullsh*t. 

No offence chief, I'm sure ye had a right craic, all 20 odd of ye that went, but a pre -season nil all friendly the best trip ever ???.  Ya may be overstating it just a tad, no ??

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm
Ah lads don't fight 🙈 What's the price of beer like? Will the locals be more likely to shoot you or shake your hand? What's accommodation like, that's kind of what I was getting at 😂

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

Ah lads don't fight 🙈 What's the price of beer like? Will the locals be more likely to shoot you or shake your hand? What's accommodation like, that's kind of what I was getting at 😂

its a great city. pints are less than a euro, food is excellent and great value, accommodation is dirt cheap and excellent quality, the birds are stunners and good craic and so are the lads as long as you're not try to crack into a bird in his group.

oh and in terms of setting its fantastic. the river sava and danube converge in the middle of the city...the view from the fortress looks fab (great military museum in the fort btw).

Oh and for history buffs a walk down the street past the three carrots irish pub will show you exactly what a tomahawk missile will do to a 10 storey building.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:19pm
I'm sold.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:27pm
Sounds excellent Coleman. Im thinking of holding off booking incase we get to France. Still going to go but would like to do a good spell here.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 8:42pm
I can't recommend Belgrade enough. It really is a fantastic city to visit for a few days. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I'm calling bullsh*t. 

No offence chief, I'm sure ye had a right craic, all 20 odd of ye that went, but a pre -season nil all friendly the best trip ever ???.  Ya may be overstating it just a tad, no ??

Not at all, beer festival with cheap ass beer every night, our own undercover police escort with us everywhere we went, more riot police to escort us than we had fans,great riverside bars and clubs, could go on and on

As is often said, the match is the worst bit of an away

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 9:18pm
My brother went on a lads trip to Belgrade and said it was class and had no complaints . Also when the World Cup was on in 2006 they travelled around with the Serbians and said they were the craziest bastards in the world . Great when they were on your side but seriously bad news when they went on the rampage

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:50am

Not at all, beer festival with cheap ass beer every night, our own undercover police escort with us everywhere we went, more riot police to escort us than we had fans,great riverside bars and clubs, could go on and on

As is often said, the match is the worst bit of an away

Never a truer word said vidic LOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:41am

Belgrade was great as others have said.  Definitely one of the more memorable away trips.  The game itself was a non event. 

Budapest on Ryanair/Aer Lingus and train to/from Belgrade is the cheap option.  I did that last time but am flying to Belgrade this time. 

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 1:41pm
flights with Lufthansa live there now, going out Dublin - Frankfurt - Belgrade, Home the same €220 return. Not to shabby. Sat 3rd - Tues 6th

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 2:04pm
Yeah I was looking at those exact flights.

However, I am actually going to wait until after next month before booking anything. If we make the Euros, I will have to evaluate which games I will go to next year as I might not be able to afford them all.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 2:32pm
it will either be a quick in and out if we make the euros or a 10 day euro trip with another city booked the day after we are fuked

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:49pm
Just booked the Majestic Hotel in Belgrade, cracking location and only €120 each for 3 nights. Sure ya couldn't go wrong with free cancellation aswell. A good few regulars I know that travel booked in here too.

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 4:27pm
Good few of us in the Argo too.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Good few of us in the Argo too.

rake of us in here too

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 5:16pm

it will either be a quick in and out if we make the euros or a 10 day euro trip with another city booked the day after we are fuked

Maybe. That €220 Lufthansa price is looking very tempting, all the same.

If we don't qualify, I'll be heading off the week before via London, Paris, Munich and the night train to either Budapest or Zagreb with a few days there before heading down to Belgrade. If we do, I imagine if I go it'll be Lufthansa Saturday to Tuesday.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 5:23pm
I personally will be waiting until October or more likely November (playoff) before committing to anything . If we qualify I might have to trim down from a week long trip to 4 days . Do You need to pay a deposit on Air Bnb ? Have never used it before

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 5:33pm
You have to pay up front butch. Refunds depend very much on the hosts policies.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 5:37pm
Booked a 3 bed apartment next door to the Argo hotel. €13 pppn for the gaf. As scamper says you can't go wrong with free cancellation. booking.com is a great job.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 6:00pm

Maybe. That €220 Lufthansa price is looking very tempting, all the same.

If we don't qualify, I'll be heading off the week before via London, Paris, Munich and the night train to either Budapest or Zagreb with a few days there before heading down to Belgrade. If we do, I imagine if I go it'll be Lufthansa Saturday to Tuesday.

Tempting but not tempting enoughLOL, will likely combine with Rome if we don't make the euros

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 6:02pm
Split to Belgrade can be done on the cheap. Only a 1hr flight, regular daily flights and both great cities to visit.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:04pm
@Coleman thanks . That riverboat is taking my fancy for this trip , need this campaign to finish to see where I would be for time off and book through Air BnB . Bottles on the deck sitting in the sun . How far out of the city centre is it located ?

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:33pm

the 18 minute change is in Vienna. The first train is a Salzburg Vienna train so it ought to be on time. I'm not saying I would risk it but it's not an Eastern European train.

Vienna has many stations and platforms in them, so 18 minutes is too tight for changes. And that's just if it turns up on time. Other options should be considered.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:35pm
There's no panic to book accommodation. Belgrade is not short of hotels. There will be lots of decent, affordable accommodation available right up to the last minute. AirBnB is more of an emergency option, which shouldn't be needed for this trip.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:36pm
The €220 flights are first thing in the morning return. There should be plenty of other options available for less than €300.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The €220 flights are first thing in the morning return. There should be plenty of other options available for less than €300.

that's what you want, from the pub to the plane, sleep all the way home, perfect

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:05pm

that's what you want, from the pub to the plane, sleep all the way home, perfect

Did exactly that in Georgia. First flight was perfect, nice n drunk so slept right through to Istanbul. The stopover and onward flight were horrendous tho, serious case of the fear had me tempted to get off the plane before take off.

Would only do it again if left with no other options

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Did exactly that in Georgia. First flight was perfect, nice n drunk so slept right through to Istanbul. The stopover and onward flight were horrendous tho, serious case of the fear had me tempted to get off the plane before take off.

Would only do it again if left with no other options

slept to riga, 40 mins later was back in the air and asleep again, was perfect! Did the same going back from Belgrade last time and worked well, not for everyone though

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:16pm
anyone look at accommodation yet?

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:17pm

@Coleman thanks . That riverboat is taking my fancy for this trip , need this campaign to finish to see where I would be for time off and book through Air BnB . Bottles on the deck sitting in the sun . How far out of the city centre is it located ?
it is about a 25-30 minute walk to the old town.

if i was you i would reserve it, with free cancellation, using the booking.com website.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:57pm
@Coleman didn't know was on Booking.com but did it there with the free cancelation & got the last room . Id say a few fellow chaps on here were also looking at it   . Cheers

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:53pm

the 18 minute change is in Vienna. The first train is a Salzburg Vienna train so it ought to be on time. I'm not saying I would risk it but it's not an Eastern European train.

Vienna has many stations and platforms in them, so 18 minutes is too tight for changes. And that's just if it turns up on time. Other options should be considered.

Trains from the West come into a different station than those from the East. Tough call to make it across town in 20 mins.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:58pm
Not since Vienna Hauptbahnhof opened (and I was using the timetable for that station).

I'm not saying it's the best option but it is one option. There are alternatives as well, including one with 44 minutes to change, albeit leaving Salzburg at 05:12.

It was just advice for Salzburglily. I doubt any of the rest of you are going to be going via Salzburg!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:46am
Getting to Belgrade by train may not be possible if the refugee crisis continues into next year.

-------------

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:55am

Not since Vienna Hauptbahnhof opened (and I was using the timetable for that station).

I'm not saying it's the best option but it is one option. There are alternatives as well, including one with 44 minutes to change, albeit leaving Salzburg at 05:12.

It was just advice for Salzburglily. I doubt any of the rest of you are going to be going via Salzburg!

SD    Clap

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Deane
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 2:36pm

Getting to Belgrade by train may not be possible if the refugee crisis continues into next year.

True, and they do expect it to last a while. 

Posted By: Tyronebhoy
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 2:42pm
Booked a small apartment just off Republic Square for 5 nights for £130 with free cancellation... sure you couldn't be bad to that

-------------
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 2:44pm
Yous' lads are booking this already? Stern Smile

-------------
YBIG Resident Pilot

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net