Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=20477
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 9:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jon Walters
Posted By: Propagandhi
Subject: Jon Walters
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:43pm
Signature is being chased by Queens Park Rangers.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Replies:
Posted By: OldBawnHoop
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:43pm
w**ker

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:47pm
Winker?

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: OldBawnHoop
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:48pm
Yes

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:39pm
QPR or Walters?

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:53am
Skipper Jon Walters’s move to Stoke could depend on Celtic winger Aiden McGeady completing his switch to Spartak Moscow. Walters is understood to be seen as a replacement for Potters wideman Liam Lawrence, who has been lined up to take McGeady's place at Celtic.

McGeady is currently in Moscow discussing his move with the Russian side reportedly expecting the £9.5 million move to go through.

Walters is understood to have travelled to Stoke yesterday for talks after a reported fee of £3 million had been agreed between the clubs, neither of whom has commented on the proposed deal.

-------------

Posted By: baddler
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:44am
would be a good move for all concerned if it actually panned out like that

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 8:38am
amazing how many players and clubs can be affected by a single transfer.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 10:49am

Ipswich manager Roy Keane has confirmed that Stoke are interested in signing captain Jon Walters.

Walters has long been linked with a move nearer his native north west, and Keane has now clarified that Stoke are keen on bringing him to the Potteries.

Keane said: "I've had lots of conversations with Stoke about Jon Walters, all summer.

"If they reach an offer that the owner feels is acceptable, then like every other player on the planet, there's a good chance he could leave.

"I think he will be with us for Saturday and if he were to leave it will be nearer the start of the Premier League season."

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm
Ipswich have turned down a bid for Walters from Stoke City.

-------------

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by OldBawnHoop OldBawnHoop wrote:

w**ker

Why?

Another one who desparately wants away from Roy but Roy knows he cant afford to let him go. Handed in transfer request 3 times now and it's been denied. He's a player that deserved a call up and i wouldnt be surprised if he still gets one if he gets a move to Stoke.

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:16pm
Walters is not gonna get a call up. Where's he gonna play? We already have Duff, Lawrence, McGeady, Hunt, McCarthy, Fahey, Doyle, Keane. He has no pedigree whatsoever.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi Propagandhi wrote:

Walters is not gonna get a call up. Where's he gonna play? We already have Duff, Lawrence, McGeady, Hunt, McCarthy, Fahey, Doyle, Keane. He has no pedigree whatsoever.

He had and still does. Ipswich's best player overall the last 3 seasons. Have you seen the lad play much? If someone like Green can get a call up, Walters has a chance. Sure Stoke are willing to pay 3 mill + for him...

Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:06pm

Ipswich manager Roy Keane is eager to sell Jon Walters after disciplining the wantaway forward and stripping him of the captaincy before Saturday's 1-1 npower Championship draw against Burnley.

Walters has been linked with Barclays Premier League sides Stoke and West Brom and the striker has informed Keane of his desire to leave Portman Road.

Keane left the forward out of his squad to face the Clarets as the former Sunderland boss was not happy with the player's reaction to being stripped of the captaincy.

The Tractor Boys looked set for all three points when David Norris scored with four minutes remaining after Clarets defender David Edgar had been sent off.

But Clarke Carlisle's stoppage-time goal gave the 10 men a point.

Keane revealed the reason behind Walters' absence after the game and also said he hopes to add to his squad next week.

"Jon was due to play but I spoke to him on Friday and I've been thinking about the captaincy." said Keane.

"For a player with a clear desire to leave, I don't think it's right he should be captain. I thought it was a straightforward one.

"Jon's reaction was unbelievably overboard.

"He's been disciplined and as long as I'm manager of this football club he'll never kick a ball for us.

"We hope a deal can be done quickly but until we get the fee we want it'll drag on a bit longer."

He added: "I'm quietly confident we'll have three players in next week because a week into the season we're down to bare bones."

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:49pm
Don't know why he hasn't been given a chance yet the likes of Cillian Sheridan has.

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 11:20am
Don't know the chappie but from the outside it looks as if he is one of a number of players who can't take simple discipline. If so what the hell is he going to do when Trappa gives him grief.

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 9:40pm
He doesnt get on with keane. that is the main reason he wants out.

I agree Grannyrule, when you look at the likes of Sheridan been given a chance, this lad should have well been called up by now

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:14am

Roy Keane has revealed that Ipswich have received an offer for Jon Walters from a club other than Stoke.

Keane criticised his deposed captain last week for trying to engineer a move away from Portman Road, but the striker is expected to leave before the transfer deadline if Ipswich's valuation is met.

Stoke were thought to be in pole position to secure his services but the Tractor Boys are now considering a bid from elsewhere.

Keane told the club's official website: "We had another bid from a club on Friday.

"Everyone keeps talking about Stoke but another club has made an offer and we are in talks.

"Jon's reaction to me taking the captaincy from him was very disappointing and it's best now if he moves on."

Imo it's bad enough having Irish players with bad attitudes in the team, having English players with bad attitudes in the team I cannot tolerate.

-------------

Posted By: IrishVillain
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:08am

He looks a decent player. A move to the Prem can only be a good thing. He deserves a call up from Trapp and that will be a formality once he steps up a division. Not getting on with Keane is hardly something you could hold against any man!!

@ Propagandhi – seen as you are usually in the know, do you have any idea what’s going on with Terry Dixon?? 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Roy Keane has revealed that Ipswich have received an offer for Jon Walters from a club other than Stoke.

Keane criticised his deposed captain last week for trying to engineer a move away from Portman Road, but the striker is expected to leave before the transfer deadline if Ipswich's valuation is met.

Stoke were thought to be in pole position to secure his services but the Tractor Boys are now considering a bid from elsewhere.

Keane told the club's official website: "We had another bid from a club on Friday.

"Everyone keeps talking about Stoke but another club has made an offer and we are in talks.

"Jon's reaction to me taking the captaincy from him was very disappointing and it's best now if he moves on."

Imo it's bad enough having Irish players with bad attitudes in the team, having English players with bad attitudes in the team I cannot tolerate.

what, because he fell out with Keane he automatically has a bad attitude....jaysus that's like saying that half the u21 squad have attitude problems because they've fallen out with Don Givens!

oh, and he's played with us since u21 level so i'm happy enough to call him Irish

Posted By: Billy O'Toole
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 3:36pm
according to Keane Walters is out the fcuking door never to play again for Ipswich Broken%20Heart must have been a hard weekend

-------------
Ybig holy jaysus - 4 points for Gerk & Count

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by IrishVillain IrishVillain wrote:

He looks a decent player. A move to the Prem can only be a good thing. He deserves a call up from Trapp and that will be a formality once he steps up a division. Not getting on with Keane is hardly something you could hold against any man!!

@ Propagandhi – seen as you are usually in the know, do you have any idea what’s going on with Terry Dixon?? 

His career is over before it started. A trial with a League 1/2 team is the best he can hope for. Injuries have curtailed his career.

-------------

Posted By: IrishVillain
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:15am

Well he did appear to be reaching a decent fitness standard again when he was released by the hammers.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why Noel King didn’t give him a call up to the last U21 squad when he was in the previous one?? Has he packed it in?

Also no word of him going on trial anywhere.

There is no doubt an Irish U21 would get a contract at a lower league club if he wished.

Would be understandable if he packed it in but I hope he gives it another shot.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 4:29am
Originally posted by IrishVillain IrishVillain wrote:

Well he did appear to be reaching a decent fitness standard again when he was released by the hammers.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why Noel King didn’t give him a call up to the last U21 squad when he was in the previous one?? Has he packed it in?

Also no word of him going on trial anywhere.

There is no doubt an Irish U21 would get a contract at a lower league club if he wished.

Would be understandable if he packed it in but I hope he gives it another shot.

Don't think he'll ever reach the heights that were once predicted but hopefully he can get a career for himself somewhere

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:23pm

Skysports.com understands Queens Park Rangers are closing in on a deal to sign Ipswich Town striker Jon Walters.

Former http://topics.skysports.com/Chester+City/?section=football - Chester City forward http://topics.skysports.com/Jon+Walters/?section=football - Walters appears primed to leave Portman Road before the close of the transfer window after also attracting interest from http://topics.skysports.com/Stoke+City/?section=football - Stoke City.

Ipswich boss http://topics.skysports.com/Roy+Keane/?section=football - Roy Keane revealed last week that Walters' head 'had been turned' by Stoke's interest, but also stated another club wanted to sign the 26-year-old.

Keane is waiting to receive the right offer before selling the player and has confirmed his former captain will not play for Town again while he is in charge.

QPR are understood to be the other team chasing Walters and are homing in on a deal t

Skysports.com understands Queens Park Rangers are closing in on a deal to sign Ipswich Town striker Jon Walters.

Former http://topics.skysports.com/Chester+City/?section=football - Chester City forward http://topics.skysports.com/Jon+Walters/?section=football - Walters appears primed to leave Portman Road before the close of the transfer window after also attracting interest from http://topics.skysports.com/Stoke+City/?section=football - Stoke City.

Ipswich boss http://topics.skysports.com/Roy+Keane/?section=football - Roy Keane revealed last week that Walters' head 'had been turned' by Stoke's interest, but also stated another club wanted to sign the 26-year-old.

Keane is waiting to receive the right offer before selling the player and has confirmed his former captain will not play for Town again while he is in charge.

QPR are understood to be the other team chasing Walters and are homing in on a deal to bring the front man to Loftus Road on a permanent basis.

Despite QPR's impressive start to the new Championship season, which has seen the team score seven goals in two games, manager Neil Warnock is in the market for attacking reinforcements.o bring the front man to Loftus Road on a permanent basis.

Despite QPR's impressive start to the new Championship season, which has seen the team score seven goals in two games, manager Neil Warnock is in the market for attacking reinforcements.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:30am
It says he has signed for Stoke here and is expected to play on the right wing.

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/potters_complete_striker_signing_547435/index.shtml

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:33am
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

It says he has signed for Stoke here and is expected to play on the right wing.

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/potters_complete_striker_signing_547435/index.shtml

Yupp. The more "Irish" players in the Premier League the merrier.

Stoke are set to complete one of the summer’s longest-running transfer sagas with the £3million purchase of Ipswich forward Jon Walters.

The player travelled to the Britannia Stadium after the two clubs finally thrashed out a deal, meaning QPR boss Neil Warnock missed out after his weekend attempt to hijack the move.

The Tractor Boys are also on the brink of saying farewell to another two strikers, Jon Stead and Pablo Counago.

On%20the%20move:%20Jon%20Walters%20in%20action%20for%20Ipswich%20against%20Middlesbrough%20earlier%20this%20month

On the move: Jon Walters in action for Ipswich against Middlesbrough earlier this month

Former England Under-21 star Stead has had second thoughts about joining Bristol City and is discussing a £250,000 move to Ashton Gate.

Stead turned down both City and Blackpool in recent weeks but is close to agreeing a deal after being offered improved personal terms.

Spanish striker Counago, frozen out at Portman Road after a bust-up with boss Roy Keane, is set to join Championship rivals Crystal Palace on loan.

Ironically, the two clubs face each other at Selhurst Park on Saturday and there is likely to be an agreement in place that Counago sits out the game.

Both Stead and Counago were among eight players transfer-listed this summer by Keane as he looked to trim the club’s wage bill and raise funds for his own reinforcements.

He would have preferred to keep Birkenhead-born Walters but the player has been looking to get away all summer, preferably to his native North West.

When Walters reinforced his desire to move on it led to a breakdown in relations between the pair. Walters was not only stripped of the captaincy but told he would never play for Ipswich again as long as Keane was manager.

Now Keane will be looking to spend a large chunk of the incoming cash to supplement his squad.

A £750,000 move for Wigan striker Jason Scotland is already in the pipeline but the Latics have put the deal on hold while they seek reinforcements of their own.

Keane is also likely to step up his interest in Cardiff striker Michael Chopra, a long-term target who might be available now that the Bluebirds have clinched the loan capture of Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304162/Stoke-set-complete-signing-Ipswich-striker-Jon-Walters-3m.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0wy5HZXvd - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304162/Stoke-set-complete-signing-Ipswich-striker-Jon-Walters-3m.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0wy5HZXvd

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:41am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/stokecity - Stoke City have announced the signing of Jon Walters from http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/ipswichtown - Ipswich Town for an initial fee of £2.75m – a week after completing a record £8m deal for Kenwyne Jones.

The 26-year-old Walters, a Republic of Ireland B international, has signed a four-year deal with the club. The fee could rise to £3.25m depending on appearances.

A move from Ipswich looked inevitable after the Town manager, Roy Keane, claimed the player had been the subject of an illegal approach. Keane, speaking after Ipswich drew with Burnley, said: "Jon came to me and said he was aware of interest in him and that he wanted out of Ipswich. These were his exact words and you can quote me on that.

"Players get their heads turned and we all live in the real world, well I know I do. Do players get tapped up? Absolutely, 100%. Can I prove it? Obviously not, unless I get hold of managers' and agents' phone bills.

"It's the way of the world and although sometimes you tip-toe round problems I've told him he can go as long as we receive what we think he's worth."

-------------

Posted By: skylarking
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:06am

I didn't know Kevin McAleer played for Middlesboro!

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:35pm

"I've been looking to bring in more goals - Jon certainly fits the bill," said Pulis.

"Over the last three years he's been the Championship's outstanding performer. I'm confident he can make the same impact on the Premier League."

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:46pm
Maybe he might get the call up he has deserved now he's in the EPL. Not only a striker but an attacking midfielder who will be more competition for Lawrence...

-------------

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:32pm
what position he play in ???

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

what position he play in ???

Up front or on the wing. His best position could possibly be in the hole behind the front 2.

He'll get his chance at Stoke, and if he takes it, he'll probably get a call. It's not as if we have a load of quality strikers to chose from.

-------------

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:59am
He was released as a teenager by Bolton after a few premiership appearances and ended up in the bottom division playing for Hull I think. Goes to show there is a way back. Reckon he is worth a cap.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:14am
I reckon he's definitely worth a shot ahead of lads like Long and Folan who haven't been playing regularly over the past year or so.

He's a big enough lad aswell isn't he?  Could offer a decent alternative up front

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

He was released as a teenager by Bolton after a few premiership appearances and ended up in the bottom division playing for Hull I think. Goes to show there is a way back. Reckon he is worth a cap.
up front and now that beatties gone to rangers he might get a chance Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 1:14pm

Denis Smith: All is forgiven after Walters move

PART%20OF%20THE%20LINE-UP:%20New%20signing%20Jon%20Walters,%20second%20right,%20joins%20in%20a%20training%20session%20with%20team-mates%20Rory%20Delap,%20left,%20Andy%20Wilkinson,%20who%20could%20be%20recalled%20tomorrow%20to%20deal%20with%20the%20threat%20of%20Gareth%20Bale,%20and%20Abdoulaye%20Faye.%20%20Picture:%20Shaun%20Smith

PART OF THE LINE-UP: New signing Jon Walters, second right, joins in a training session with team-mates Rory Delap, left, Andy Wilkinson, who could be recalled tomorrow to deal with the threat of Gareth Bale, and Abdoulaye Faye. Picture: Shaun Smith

I'M glad Jon Walters has signed for Stoke because I've got a bone to pick with him.

Jon was barely 20-years-old when he played for me at Wrexham – and a pretty good job he did for one season at The Racecourse.

But when he was out of contract, he not only left, but left for Wrexham's biggest rivals Chester.

Well, we didn't have two pennies to rub together in those days, so there was nothing we could do to keep him. But Chester, Jon? 

Oh well, I suppose I can forgive him anything now that he's signed for us.

I took Jon from Hull on a free transfer after remembering his impressive form as a youngster in the reserves at both Blackburn and Bolton before that.

He played up front for me at Wrexham and did a great job because he was a good target-man and would run the channels all day long.

He's a 100 per cent grafter, in training and in games, and just the kind of player Tony Pulis loves.

Back then, I could see him playing in the Championship one day because he was always willing to work and listen.

But now he's got his chance in the Premier League, and I must say I'm genuinely delighted for him because it's great reward for all the hard work he's put in down the years.

He was prepared to drop down the divisions and prove himself on the way back up again, so there's a lesson there for many players.

It will be interesting to see where Tony plays him against Tottenham tomorrow.

If he does play wide, he'll put a shift in for us and he's bright enough to know when to join in because he understands the game.

The question I can't answer is whether or not he's got a trick or two up his sleeve to get past his man out wide.

Tottenham at home is a toughie, make no mistake, but after watching their first two games on TV against Man City and Young Boys, I reckon Ricardo Fuller should be licking his lips in anticipation.

That's because Michael Dawson has started the season so poorly in the heart of their defence.

His positional sense has looked dodgy, he's got caught flat a few times, his touch has been unsure and he hasn't seemed to know when to drop off. If he can win an England cap on that kind of showing, then it's only a matter of time before Ryan Shawcross gets the nod.

If I was Harry Redknapp, a new centre-half would certainly be top of my priorities before next week's deadline.

I just hope he doesn't come knocking on Stoke's door for one of ours.

It will be interesting to see what Harry does in attack if Jermain Defoe is ruled out injured, as everyone is expecting.

I think he has to go for Peter Crouch's height against Stoke, so that would probably mean Robbie Keane alongside him as Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko would be a bit similar in attack.

Aaron Lennon and Gareth Bale will be handfuls out wide, so it's vital our full-backs play well tomorrow.

I'm just wondering whether that might mean a recall for Andy Wilkinson at right-back because Tony might fancy him more against Bale.

Tottenham wouldn't have picked Stoke away between their two Champions League ties if they'd had the choice.

So let's hope the Stoke boys prove as much tomorrow by getting our first points on the board.

Sounds like a Trap player.

-------------

Posted By: jb37
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 4:10pm
keep up the good work prop, always in with updates and news first. good man.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:14pm
scored on his debut for stoke

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Is he playing up top or out wide Citz?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:29pm
couldnt tell ya mcg, just watching sky sports coverage of the carling cup

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:00pm

played Saturday against Spurs didn;t he ?

Posted By: heyirish
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

yea and he scored. they just didnt count the goal!!!

-------------
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by heyirish heyirish wrote:

Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

yea and he scored. they just didnt count the goal!!!

that f***er Blatter to blame I bet !

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:34pm
Reckon he will get a call up?

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Reckon he will get a call up?

He'll certainly have a very good chance if he gets in at Stoke. Definately an option for us. We could certainly do with another back up option up front...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:21am

Stoke forward Jon Walters has warned West Ham there will be no end to their difficult start to the season at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

The Hammers are the only Barclays Premier League team not to register a point from their opening four matches and are bottom of the table.

They will travel to Stoke without manager Avram Grant and defender Tal Ben-Haim, who are observing the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur which involves fasting and prayer over the course of Friday night and Saturday.

And despite their recent good record at the Britannia Stadium, where they had won four successive matches until last season's 2-1 defeat, Walters is confident West Ham's difficulties will continue.

"West Ham haven't had a win yet and are struggling and Stoke is a very difficult place to come to," said the £2.75million summer signing from Ipswich.

"They struggled last year and haven't started well so it hasn't surprised anyone.

"I'm not surprised to see them struggling because anyone can and I'm sure their heads are down at the moment and it won't get any better against us I don't think.

"They will be scrapping for everything they can but I'm not sure how they will be with their manager not being there and being away from home - it's not a good place to come to, the Britannia.

"We have to make the stadium like a fortress, giving it everything in our home games and trying to pick up what we can away and the fans play a major part in that."

The Potters recorded their first win of the season with a home victory over Aston Villa on Monday.

Walters believes they will now be able to build on the confidence gained from that result after a testing start to the season which pitted them against two of last season's top four in champions Chelsea and Tottenham.

"It is important to go in to Saturday's game with that belief," he said.

"No-one likes to be on no points and so the more we can get now will create a gap and a little cushion (to the bottom of the table).

"You always want to get the first win of the season early doors and now we want to push on.

"The start we had was not the best but Chelsea away was always going to be difficult to pick up points.

"We've got to start picking up more points now and we have some good games coming up against West Ham, Fulham, Newcastle, Blackburn and Bolton.

"We're not just playing the stronger teams like Chelsea away so those are games we will be looking to get something from."

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:41am

STEPPING up from the Championship is a challenge for most players, writes Michael Baggaley.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/jonwalters - Jon Walters has the added pressure of http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/ricardofuller - Ricardo Fuller , Eidur Gudjohnsen and Tuncay in a queue to take his place.

Players of lesser character and ability might feel a little intimidated, but the 26-year-old is taking everything in his stride.

In fact, Walters has arguably been Stoke's best performer in his four games since his £2.75m move from Ipswich.

He has certainly become an instant hit with supporters who have been impressed by the industry, tenacity and no little quality from a player who was turning out for http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/place/chestercity - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/place/chester - Chester City in League Two just three years ago.

Walters said: "I'm very pleased with the way things have started for me.

"The manager knows what I'm about, having watched me for the last couple of years.

"He knows what I'm going to give and what I'll bring to the team.

"I'm the type of player who, no matter how it's going for me, even if I give it away 10 times in a game I still want the ball and will still give everything I can.

"I'll always do everything I can on the training ground to give myself every chance to play."

With that attitude, it is no wonder the former Ipswich skipper was targeted by a manager who places a high value on players who refuse to give up.

That spirit was obvious in Stoke's 2-1 comeback victory against http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/place/astonvilla - Aston Villa on Monday after they trailed at the break.

Walters says the appearance of http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/tonypulis - Tony Pulis at half-time played a part after the players expected him to miss the game following the death of his mother.

Walters is not disclosing details of what was apparently a ferocious half-time team talk.

However, he said: "He gave us that lift we needed. It shows the professionalism and character of the gaffer and showed what the club means to him. It obviously means a hell of a lot."

Walters is making the most of his second chance in the top flight having been a youth player at Blackburn and then playing a handful of games at Bolton before dropping down.

Spells at Hull, Crewe, Barnsley, S****horpe, http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/place/wrexham - Wrexham and Chester followed before a £100,000 move to Ipswich in January 2007 gave him the opportunity to show he could play at a higher level.

He earned a reputation as one of the best players in the Championship, although that was largely for his efforts on the right of midfield.

He has impressed as a striker so far for Stoke, but does not have a preference where he plays.

"Not at all," he said. "I just prefer to play. I can play up front or on the left or right. They're all strings to my bow and give the manager options."

Pulis has plenty of those at the moment, having named what must have been the strongest set of substitutes in the club's history for Monday's win over Villa.

Fuller, http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/jermainepennant - Jermaine Pennant and http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/glennwhelan - Glenn Whelan came on to help the side to victory, meaning Gudjohnsen, http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/asmirbegovic - Asmir Begovic , http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/dannyhigginbotham - Danny Higginbotham and http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/andywilkinson - Andy Wilkinson were not required.

That Tuncay couldn't even get a place on the bench was further indication of the strength in depth at the club.

Walters added: "It's all about squads now. There are players here who haven't played much yet, but we're all part of a big squad here all together.

"Over the course of the season I think every player will be used.

"There will be times when players who are sitting out now will be playing a major part.

"That's what it's all about. Whoever's playing, the lads will be right behind them because it's all about the team and the squad here."

Should he continue his club form, the http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/place/republicofireland - Republic of Ireland B international must have a chance of breaking into http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/giovannitrapattoni - Giovanni Trapattoni 's squad in time for the European Championships in 2012.

However, Walters, who would be competing with http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/liamlawrence - Liam Lawrence for a place in the Irish team, says international recognition wasn't a major factor in making the move to Stoke.

He admitted: "It was at the back of my mind. There was talk of it last year, but it never came about.

"But first and foremost I'm just concentrating on doing the best I can here.

"You have to be playing at your club to be giving yourself a chance for internationals."

In the meantime, the modest Walters believes his own game can only improve from playing and training alongside the likes of http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/topics/person/kenwynejones - Kenwyne Jones and Gudjohnsen.

However, he will not be attempting to emulate Jones's spectacular backward-flip goal celebration.

"I don't know about that," he said. "Maybe I can do a forward roll."

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:04am
Walters could have scored if Kenwyne Jones wasn't a selfish arsehole.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:14am
Walters Hits Back at Keane

Former Blue Jon Walters has hit back at Roy Keane in one of this morning’s tabloids, claiming that he had to send a photo of his vomit to the Town boss in order to prove he was suffering from a virus ahead of the Exeter Carling Cup tie.

In an http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/977681/KEANO-SHOULD-KNOW-ABOUT-PUKE-FOOTBALL.html - interview with the News of the World , Walters says he is by no means the "bad egg” he was claimed to be at the time of his £2.75 million move to Stoke City and says he missed the Exeter match because he was genuinely ill.

Walters said: “We had Exeter away and all during the week everybody in my family had a vomiting bug. So I quarantined myself from the wife and kids to try and avoid it.

"But at 3am on the Tuesday morning I was throwing up. I even took a picture of my sick and sent it to the physio because I knew Roy wouldn't believe me, what with it being a cup tie, clubs being interested in me and all that sort of thing.”

Walters has made five starts and has scored one goal since moving to the Britannia Stadium last month.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:25am
Starting again today for Stoke.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:08am
Just after scoring his first goal for Stoke v Blackburn

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
Clap

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: Padraig88
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:57am

This is his second goal for Stoke. It's his second league goal.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:59am

2nd goal. He scored on his debut.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

2nd goal. He scored on his debut.

First Premiership goal is what I meant

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 3:43am
Should be in the squad.

Ridiculous.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:40pm

He'll get his chance soon enough. As i said before, he should have been given it a while ago but it'll hopefully be better late than never. We need be better back up striker options and this lad could be ideal to have in reserve.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:27am
What age is he ??

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 3:54am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

What age is he ??

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:00am

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:48am

is he another  granny rule job?

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 4:57am
he should be in ahead of long,keogh and sheridan

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:31pm
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,19692_6436761,00.html

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:35pm
Long scored a f**king goal against Russia. What the f**k does he have to do to get a proper f**king chance? Jesus Christ half of the f**king squad is English. Get rid of Green and Kilbane before you call that t**ser up and if he goes 7 games without scoring a goal like Best or Folan he should be dropped. I'm sick of this sh*t.

-------------
Men-tal-ity.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:42pm
I apologise if I offend any English born people using this forum but I digress.

Ward/Kelly/O'Dea/Delaney/Cunningham > Kilbane

Andrews/Gibson/Fahey/Wilson/Andy Reid/Steven Reid/McCarthy/Lawrence/O'Shea/Meyler > Green

Long/Keogh/Murphy/Folan/Sheridan > Walters

-------------
Men-tal-ity.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Padraig88 Padraig88 wrote:

Long scored a f**king goal against Russia. What the f**k does he have to do to get a proper f**king chance?
Same as every other striker, prove he's a better option than Keane or Doyle.

Jesus Christ half of the f**king squad is English.
No, it's not. 7 of the 23 were English born (Westwood, St Ledger, Foley, Kilbane, Green, Lawrence, McGeady), so less than a third.

Get rid of Green and Kilbane before you call that t**ser up
and replace them with....?

and if he goes 7 games without scoring a goal like Best or Folan he should be dropped. I'm sick of this sh*t.
Best and Folan have been dropped, hadn't you noticed? He's talking about bringing Walters into the squad, not dropping Long. We've a dearth of options up front, so every opportunity should be taken to examine other possibilities. Long hasn't scored at international level since 2007, and one goal doesn't turn him into an international class striker.

Can't please some people, complaining that Trapattoni doesn't bring new players into the squad, and then complaining when he says he will be!

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Long scored a f**king goal against Russia. What the f**k does he have to do to get a proper f**king chance? Jesus Christ half of the f**king squad is English. Get rid of Green and Kilbane before you call that t**ser up and if he goes 7 games without scoring a goal like Best or Folan he should be dropped. I'm sick of this sh*t.

He's talking about bringing Walters into the squad, not dropping Long. We've a dearth of options up front, so every opportunity should be taken to examine other possibilities. Long hasn't scored at international level since 2007, and one goal doesn't turn him into an international class striker.

Can't please some people, complaining that Trapattoni doesn't bring new players into the squad, and then complaining when he does!
He hasn't scored since 2007 because he's played a sum total of about 90 minutes since then. As soon as he get's more than 10 minutes to shine, he scores a goal. Of all people, I thought you would know that. By the same token, one league goal doesn't make the 27 year old Walters a good player at this standard. The sad thing is Walters will probably reach 10 caps without scoring a goal or making any kine of impression whatsoever.

-------------
Men-tal-ity.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:24pm

He hasn't scored since 2007 because he's played a sum total of about 90 minutes since then.
He's played 137 minutes of football since the last game he scored in, which includes 2 games in 2007. Removing those games brings the total down to 89.

As soon as he get's more than 10 minutes to shine, he scores a goal. Of all people, I thought you would know that.

Games in which Shane Long get's more than 10 minutes to shine since he last scored:
12 September 2007 Czech Republic VS Ireland - 28 minutes
13 October 2007 Ireland VS Germany - 20 minutes
19 November 2008 Ireland VS Poland - 24 minutes
29 May 2009 Ireland VS Nigeria - 45 minutes
Goals scored: 0

By the same token, one league goal doesn't make the 27 year old Walters a good player at this standard.
Where did I say Walters will make a good player at this standard? I said we don't have a lot of options in the squad, especially up front, so we have to examine every possibility.

The sad thing is Walters will probably reach 10 caps without scoring a goal or making any kine of impression whatsoever.
It would be worse to be 10 games down the road without making any changes to the existing squad.

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:36am

He hasn't scored since 2007 because he's played a sum total of about 90 minutes since then.
He's played 137 minutes of football since the last game he scored in, which includes 2 games in 2007. Removing those games brings the total down to 89.

As soon as he get's more than 10 minutes to shine, he scores a goal. Of all people, I thought you would know that.

Games in which Shane Long get's more than 10 minutes to shine since he last scored:
12 September 2007 Czech Republic VS Ireland - 28 minutes
13 October 2007 Ireland VS Germany - 20 minutes
19 November 2008 Ireland VS Poland - 24 minutes
29 May 2009 Ireland VS Nigeria - 45 minutes
Goals scored: 0

By the same token, one league goal doesn't make the 27 year old Walters a good player at this standard.
Where did I say Walters will make a good player at this standard? I said we don't have a lot of options in the squad, especially up front, so we have to examine every possibility.

The sad thing is Walters will probably reach 10 caps without scoring a goal or making any kine of impression whatsoever.
It would be worse to be 10 games down the road without making any changes to the existing squad.

Well argued Clap

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 5:55am
My point remains valid and my worries remain pertinent.

-------------
Men-tal-ity.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 6:07am

My point remains valid and my worries remain pertinent.

What exactly was your point?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:22am
Walters being called into the squad is very encouraging by Trap - it is showing him to giving these fringe players a chance to prove themselves and I think Walters will be a great addition to the squad.

He is a big strong quick lad who can play upfront and on the wing.
Walters and Keane could potentially make a good partnership (in the absense of Doyle).

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 7:37am
This confirmed?

Could only find this
http://www.wopular.com/walters-set-irish-chance - http://www.wopular.com/walters-set-irish-chance

He's done well since he came to Stoke. Pulis has played him in almost every game. He'll be well suited to our long ball game. However, he's not got the same workrate as Doyle though.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:53pm

Obviously he/ nor Stokes got a call up to replace Doyle? So we have Long and Keane, and if one of those lads get injured we have to reply on Keogh? Ridiculous.

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Obviously he/ nor Stokes got a call up to replace Doyle? So we have Long and Keane, and if one of those lads get injured we have to reply on Keogh? Ridiculous.

Indeed. Should any of this trio, twinge a muscle today, we'll have no sub striker on the bench. Poor decision making on someones behalf, and to me the buck stops with the manager.

However, I think Trap can be forgiven about the 'shy' comment as his English is only passable.
As reported on Stoke's website, it's clear that he wants to try him out in a friendly first.
http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2180051,00.html - http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2180051,00.html

Quote "They had three, four, five strikers. We have Keane and Doyle. Every Sunday we look for another striker, but it is normal to give men time. I will give them time and a chance."

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:04pm
Just a bit about Walters and his Irishness :

Although Walters was born in Birkenhead, he opted to pursue his international ambitions with the Republic of Ireland in the early stages of his career on the grounds that Dublin was the birthplace of his mother, who died when he was only 12 years old

"It would mean an awful lot to me to make my family proud, especially my mother," he said. "That is who I am representing in choosing to play for Ireland.

"My mother came from Dublin, so I spoke to the family over there and I know how much it will mean to them if I do get the chance to win my first cap."

"With Glenn Whelan and Marc Wilson already in the squad, it would be fantastic to link up with them if I am called-up next month."

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2183384,00.html - http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10310~2183384,00.html

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:34am
heard roy keane saying that he'll never play for ipswich again

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Confused

-------------

Posted By: Jokerman
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:39am

The fact that he chose to declare for Ireland wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of playing for England would it? I hate to be cynical like.

Anywho, I am satisfied with Keane, Doyle, Long, Folan and Stokes. There is no point in getting too excited about Walters. Granted that at 27 he has the world at his feet and his record of 1 goal in 9 games for Stoke is exceptional.

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:34pm

Is that because he plays for Stoke City now?

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

Embarrassed Probably. Dont really folow english soccer so wouldnt be up to speed on fringe players. Just had a quick glimpse at the Herald tonight and apparently Keane had a fight with him.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by SteviesGranny SteviesGranny wrote:

Embarrassed Probably. Dont really folow english soccer so wouldnt be up to speed on fringe players. Just had a quick glimpse at the Herald tonight and apparently Keane had a fight with him.

They had a bust up during the end of Walters time there alright. He is gone on to bigger and better things now anyway so has worked out well for him and hopefully Ireland

Posted By: Tuff Paddy
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 2:03pm
Walters is a great example to young lads. Has worked his balls off and is now a Premier League player. Fair play to him. His family will be so proud if and when he gets the call in November.

-------------
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 10:36am
Walters conceded a penalty against Sunderland but Malbranque missed it.

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:19am
Walters is taken off after an hour. Is he what we need? I can wait to find out. Hopefully Trap keeps his word and Long gets a chance against Norway.

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:00pm
Walters played for Northern Ireland at youth level so he can stick all the bullsh*t talk about how much he wants to play for Ireland up his ass. He's an average player and I hope he doesn't hang around like a bad smell as long as Leon Best did.

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Walters played for Northern Ireland at youth level so he can stick all the bullsh*t talk about how much he wants to play for Ireland up his ass.

And do you think the same about the northern irish lads that have declared for us despite playing with the nordies at youth level Thumbs%20Down

People can feel that they're part of 1 nationality - its not one of the other for some, they can feel close to muliple nationalities they have connections with

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:35pm

Walters played for Northern Ireland at youth level so he can stick all the bullsh*t talk about how much he wants to play for Ireland up his ass. He's an average player and I hope he doesn't hang around like a bad smell as long as Leon Best did.

Did he? Any links for this game?

No mention of him on the IFA's website - http://www.irishfa.com/ - http://www.irishfa.com/

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 1:03pm
Jonathan Roland Walters

Doesn’t look like he can handle the pace of the Premier League and tired after an hour being replaced by Ricardo Fuller. Admittedly though what he lacks in ability he makes up for in work ethic and dedication to the Stoke cause. Courtesy of Goal.com

@ tetsujin1979 http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 1:16pm

Did he? Any links for this game? No mention of him on the IFA's website - http://www.irishfa.com/ - http://www.irishfa.com/

@tetsujin1979 http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html

you might want to go back and read that article again
from http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html
Quote Wilson represented Northern Ireland at youth level, but later opted for Ireland and played for the Republic in the under-21 age group.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:40pm

Did he? Any links for this game? No mention of him on the IFA's website - http://www.irishfa.com/ - http://www.irishfa.com/

@tetsujin1979 http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html

you might want to go back and read that article again
from http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html
Quote Wilson represented Northern Ireland at youth level, but later opted for Ireland and played for the Republic in the under-21 age group.
Oops.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:45pm

you might want to go back and read that article again from http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html - http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Stoke-City-Walters-called-Republic-Ireland-friendly/article-2844197-detail/article.html
Oops.

Good man Tets

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:46pm
Not a huge fan of this lad either tbh, hasn't impressed me once after seeing him play quite a few times.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm

you really are a gobshi te

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

you really are a gobshi te

+1

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

Not a huge fan of this lad either tbh, hasn't impressed me once after seeing him play quite a few times.
As long as Long plays against Norway, colour me satisfied. Trap has hinted that Walters will have to wait until February to play.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:27am

RICHARD MURPHY, Author, http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/stokecity - Stoke City On This Day I'm sick of referees. We're just not getting anything from them. They are not just dodgy decisions, they are blatantly terrible and it happens to us week in and week out. Cattermole pushed the ball over the bar with his hand. I'm flabbergasted it wasn't given. Yes, it's four league losses in a row now but we could easily have got four or five points from those games if a few decisions had gone our way, which is the difference between being 17th and being sixth. Shawcross's second yellow maybe deserved a booking but the first was harsh. Walters was poor today. Fuller made a difference when he came on.

The fan's player ratings Begovic 7; Huth 5, Shawcross 6, Faye 7, Collins 5; Walters 4 (Fuller 57 8), Wilson 6, Whitehead 6 (Delap 74 6), Etherington 7; Jones 7, Tuncay 7

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 11:02am
http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Potters&action=display&thread=140632&page=3 - http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/...=140632&page=3

"I'd prefer Julie Walters. She could run around like a clueless t** too, and have no bearing on a game," is one of the kinder comments.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 4:09am

Emotional Journey

Jonathan Walters tells Daniel McDonnell why he’s ready to take his Ireland chance after walking difficult path on and off the pitch

Jonathan Walters is determined to make the most of his chance at Stoke after an eventful time at Ipswich. Photo: Getty Images

By Daniel McDonnell

Tuesday November 09 2010

ON FRIDAY afternoon, the eagerly anticipated good news spread like wildfire amongst Jonathan Walters' nearest and dearest.His phone buzzed with congratulations.

For the first time, his name had appeared in an Irish senior squad, with Giovanni Trapattoni indicating that the Stoke recruit will either be capped against Norway next week or in the Carling Nations Cup clash with Wales in February.

Three months after his elevation to the top flight, it represents another leap for a man who just four years ago was fighting to remain in the game while plying his trade for a club that no longer exists.

It was confirmation of a dream come true, a call-up with special resonance. Walters knows that his late Dublin-born mother would have been so proud and is determined to honour her memory and deliver happiness to the family who have provided support through some difficult times.

“If I get the chance to play, it would mean more than anything,” he enthuses. That moment is approaching.

THREE days earlier, Walters was mulling over the possibilities in the media suite at Stoke's impressive new Clayton Wood training complex. The Potters were only able to move in there in July, a month before the affable 27-year-old arrived at Trent Vale following an unusual dispute with a certain Roy Keane.

Clayton Wood is only a short drive from the Britannia Stadium and the club have been based in the area for some time. Before buying the land and constructing this purpose-built complex they used the adjoining Michelin Sports Club and as recently as five years ago there was an absence of dressing-rooms, which meant everyone got changed at the ground and hopped into the cars to make their way to the training pitch. The oft-muddy return trip did nothing for the upholstery.

Now, with a few years in the Premier League under their belt, they possess the wealth to live far more salubriously, although the staff endeavour to retain a down-to-earth attitude.

Five years ago, Walters was grounded in his own reality, living a nightmare that every parent dreads. His first daughter, Scarlett, was born with an unusual condition called gastroschisis, a condition where a baby is born with the stomach and intestines outside the body. “It's not as rare as you might think,” he says. Scarlett spent the first months of her life in hospital, periodically in intensive care. An operation to put the organs back inside met with complications and, following a brief stint at home, more surgery was required.

For Walters and his wife, Jo, it was a stressful experience that left football in the shade. At the time he was a Hull City player, but in name only.

“We lived in the hospital,” he recalls. “I spoke to the manager, Peter Taylor, and I wasn't going to be playing. I wanted to stay fit, I wanted to stay training so I was still going in every day because that takes your mind off everything. And then it was back to the hospital.

“It was really touch and go at the start. There was a problem with the first operation but after a while she had another operation to put them back in and since then everything has been fine, touch wood. That was tough but it makes you realise what you've got.”

BY his own admission, he didn't always appreciate his lot prior to that. He'd arrived at Hull in 2004 with baggage. The promising talent was dropping down the leagues after failing to break through with both Blackburn and Bolton. With the latter he gained Premier League experience but also a desire for a night out and the good life. Loan stints with Hull, Crewe and Barnsley precipitated his permanent departure to The Tigers.

“When you're young, you don't appreciate it,” he recalls. “You don't do the extra bits that you should and don't realise the opportunity until it's gone. Like with a lot of things in life. There'll be other lads the same, lads at Stoke now who'll have the potential but never seem to do it. I've sort of grown up now into who I am.” Scarlett's difficulties ultimately instigated his exit from Hull. She required special care and Walters asked Taylor if he could leave in order to move closer to extended family in the north west. Chairman Adam Pearson facilitated the request.

So he moved to Wrexham for a year and then to Chester, an entity on its last legs. He was a League Two player with a young family, conscious that he was one setback away from drifting out of the game completely. “For me, it was always the aim to come back up the leagues, yet for 99.9pc of footballers that never happens,” he says.

He needed a break and secured it in roundabout fashion. In December of 2006, Chester lost a second-round FA Cup tie to Bury. It transpired that the victors had fielded an ineligible player and the place in the third round was awarded to Chester. They took Championship side Ipswich to a replay and Walters did enough in the two games to convince then Tractor Boys supremo Jim Magilton to splash out. Other clubs had expressed an interest without taking a punt.

For £150,000, the East Anglians had nabbed an individual who would make a rapid impact. So much so, in fact, that Stoke and Wigan made enquiries within his first 12 months at Portman Road. Bids were refused and a new contract was offered, thus providing further security for Scarlett and Walters’ second daughter, Sienna. A call-up to the Ireland ‘B' side was another reward to add to the solitary U-21 cap achieved earlier his career, when Walters scored both goals in a win over Switzerland before joining the long list of youngsters to get on the wrong side of Don Givens.

However, while club-mates Damien Delaney and Alex Bruce were called to senior squads in the early days of Trapattoni's tenure, no invitation was extended to Walters.

Soon, he would have a new club manager cheerleading his cause. Keane rolled in midway through last year, a tsunami when compared to the breezy life that went before. It made life both confusing and interesting for the squad in situ.

At first, everything was rosy. Walters largely escaped the grief meted out to others and was promoted to the captaincy with public praise from Keane ringing in his ears. Behind the scenes, however, they had no real relationship.

“THERE was none of that with Roy,” he explains. “He just didn't speak to you much about the playing side of it. There was no extra dealings. It was strange sometimes. It wasn't all doom and gloom. When you're doing well, you're more concentrated on the football and you're happy. But he's a one-off really. There are different things...”

Walters' falling-out with Keane has been well documented. Stoke came knocking again in the summer and the player was interested. He was stripped of the armband after missing a Carling Cup tie due to a virus. Keane insinuated that he was missing the game for scurrilous reasons; Walters sent a picture of his vomit to prove there was no theatrics involved. A £2.75m bid from Tony Pulis ended his spell in the naughty boy’s corner.

“I didn't see the fallout coming,” he admits. “I know everyone had an earful from him. I was one of the ones who'd never really got one. I've had numerous managers and you learn to take different things from each manager. If I get a bollocking or a telling off, I can take it.”

For the up and coming stars at the club, it was harder to swallow. The example of Owen Garvan is raised. Keane was his idol and yet the Dubliner soon realised he was in for a rough time. “He didn't get much of a chance and, when he did, he got an earful all the time,” observes Walters, who is glad his old team-mate escaped to Crystal Palace.

His most interesting criticism of the Keane regime is the effect of his decision to let some established members of staff go. Bryan Klug, head of the highly respected academy which has delivered a production line of talent, was relieved of his post at the start of 2010 and now works for Spurs. Such departures affected morale.

“Bryan had been at the club for probably 20 to 25 years,” says Walters, “and there was Charlie Woods, who was Bobby Robson's number two. Good coaches and good people to have around who were all let go for one reason or another under Roy. “That was disappointing. They were good people to work for and part of what the club is about. Ipswich is a bit unique, it's in the middle of nowhere and it means so much to everyone in the town. When they got let go... all the lads respected them quite well... and that was Roy's decision.”

In the Stoke dressing-room, he can compare Keane war stories. Danny Collins, Danny Higginbotham, Kenwyne Jones and Rory Delap were all at Sunderland during the Drumaville adventure and experienced the unpredictable temper.

“As soon as I got here, everyone asked what I had done,” laughs Walters. “Liam Lawrence was here before he went to Portsmouth as well. They were laughing because they knew exactly what I'd been through.

“Even now I speak to the lads at Ipswich and when they get beat, well, we know what's been said before we even speak to anyone. We guess, ‘Aye, this is what's been said this week' and we ring all the lads and that's what happened. It's eggshells all the time.”

In contrast, he finds his new environment far more settled, with a unity of purpose from the top down. Pulis has faith in Walters and has given him plenty of feedback as well as game time. The demands of Premier League football have asked more of his body, in addition to a better appreciation of the merits of team shape.

“It seems that everyone is six foot plus, as fast and strong as anything and all very comfortable on the ball,” he says. “If you make one mistake, you get punished.”

Difficult

He has learned that in a difficult spell for the Potters, who badly need a positive result when they host Birmingham tonight.

Mind you, he picked the right time to get off the mark in the Premier League, grabbing the winner against Blackburn with Marco Tardelli in attendance last month. With Ireland short of striking options and Trapattoni keen for back-up with physical strength and the versatility to play wide right, then Walters has the attributes to make a positive impression on the Italian.

Although he grew up on the Wirral, the opportunity will be cherished. Walters is from a tight-knit family who've never lost touch with their roots. His mother, Helen Brady, from Clonliffe in Dublin, came to England to work as a nurse in hospitals around Liverpool and met his dad, Jim, there. She was a home bird, though, and every time she could make it back the kids were brought along, mostly camping at Gyles Quay near Carlingford.

“The Brady Bunch,” he smiles. “They're all crazy.” Tragically, Helen passed away when Jonathan was 12. The huge clan rallied around and remain in constant contact.

He randomly lists off the locations of various Brady cousins with impressive detail. An aunt in south Wales, a cousin in London and another who moved to Switzerland. His first cousin, Ciara Burgess, plays camogie for Dublin, and he's still getting grief from that side of the family for missing recent get-togethers due to Stoke commitments.

Next week, football finally delivers him an excuse to visit. The length and emotion of the journey will make the rewards all the sweeter.

Stoke v Birmingham, Live, Sky Sports 2, 7.45

- Daniel McDonnell

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net