You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Wales MATCH thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 132>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v Wales MATCH thread
    Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 4:44pm
We should be looking for 3 points here, but 1 would not be end-of-the-world stuff. 

Fingers crossed one of Bale or Ramsey will be injured, as without either of them, they start to look ordinary.

Given Brady's suspension, the best 11 for that match would be the below.  The aim should be a high-intensity pressing game like v Austria, with Hoolahan to come on second half when players get leggy to do his customary gloriously weighted assist.  Serious pace on that team to nail Wales on the counter (as v Austria) (I know we're at home, but they'll have to do a lot of the running as they'll treat this a must-win given their position in the table).  By then, we might possibly have Hogan as a pacy sub for Long.

Randolph

Duffy  Clark
Coleman                Ward
              McCarthy
         Hendrick   Arter
Walters                    McClean
               Long
Sponsored Links

GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:04pm
We should be aiming for 3 points in this, we are better than Wales
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:32pm
2-0 Ireland.

We put the nail in their coffin, end their campaign at least their fans can enjoy temple that evening and we march on towards tipping the group. We're a fair bit better then Wales we should be able to run their defence into serious issue.

Scott Hogan on the bench.

Edited by SByrne24 - 13 Nov 2016 at 5:32pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

2-0 Ireland.

We put the nail in their coffin, end their campaign at least their fans can enjoy temple that evening and we march on towards tipping the group. We're a fair bit better then Wales we should be able to run their defence into serious issue.

I see he was at the UFC last night to watch Conor McGregor with John Egan. 
The only way is up
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

2-0 Ireland.

I seen that myself, that can only be a good thing for us.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:07pm

2-0 Ireland.

I imagine Ireland being top of their qualifying group heading into the winter break can only be sharpening his mind.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:22pm
How on earth are we a fair bit better better than Wales? Like the Scotland games this will be another tight battle.

And Wales have a player that has to be watched all the times.

I don't know where you're getting that we've serious pace on our team without Brady for this game. Wales are pacier than us.

A draw won't be a disaster and even if we win only 1 of the home games against Wales,Serbia & Austria and draw the other two that could be enough to win the group.

Our 2 toughest away games out of the way. We are in a seriously good position. We've had a good bit of luck it has to be said in the Serbia, Georgia and Austria games when it came to the woodwork saving us but we deserve it and delighted for the players who run themselves into the ground for Ireland.

Edited by irishmufc - 13 Nov 2016 at 6:23pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:25pm
Re Pace.  Shane Long is the fastest player, bar none, in the Premier League. 

James McClean is the fifth fastest.  

Our playing style should use that fact to our advantage - as it did last night, and it did against Germany. 
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:35pm
I can't wait for this. We need to go for a win and put the final nail in the Welsh coffin. However as somebody said previously, a draw isn't the end of the world for us. 

Any idea when tickets go on sale for this?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Our playing style should use that fact to our advantage - as it did last night, and it did against Germany. 

We have individuals with pace but our system is and has to be compact and our approach pragmatic. We don't have the players to play an expansive game and leave ourselves open.
Our wingers constantly have to come back and cover our full backs so we can keep it tight when we're playing better opposition.

Our wins last night and against Germany had nothing to do with a pacey playing style but trying to keep a defensive shape that's difficult to break down.

I think in regards to the Wales game even though we're at home Wales probably know they need to win moree than we neccessarily do.O'Neill may keep this in mind and not overcommit unless the game is not going well for us.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:38pm
People saying they hope Bale is missing f**k Bale Ramsey is the one you want out of this game, Bale is nothing without him as was shown in Euros when he wasn't there against Portugal.

if we stick a man on Bale he does nothing.

Welsh defence is very suspect Long's pace will cause them trouble, also as shown with Mitrovic's goal last night if we are to target balls into box bar Williams (perhaps) they have no real physical player to challenge.

3-1 I reckon
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

People saying they hope Bale is missing f**k Bale Ramsey is the one you want out of this game, Bale is nothing without him as was shown in Euros when he wasn't there against Portugal.

Welsh defence is very suspect Long's pace will cause them trouble, also as shown with Mitrovic's goal last night if we are to target balls into box bar Williams (perhaps) they have no real physical player to challenge.

3-1 I reckon

Please stop, that is one of the most outrageous comments I've ever seen on here. 

Bale scored yesterday without Ramsey setting him up.

Bale set up Vokes against Moldova, he scored against Moldova after pouncing on a mistake, he also won and scored a penalty too. (Ramsey wasn't playing)

Bale scored against Georgia, from a great header.

He is also by far and away Wales most creative player in terms assists, never mind scoring 12 goals in his last 17 games for Wales.

I'm sorry Lass but that's one silly statement and has been tore apart by the stats. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

2-0 Ireland.

I imagine Ireland being top of their qualifying group heading into the winter break can only be sharpening his mind.
this!
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

3-1 I reckon

Please stop, that is one of the most outrageous comments I've ever seen on here. 

Bale set up Vokes against Moldova, he scored against Moldova after pouncing on a mistake, he also won and scored a penalty too. (Ramsey wasn't playing)

He is also by far and away Wales most creative player in terms assists, never mind scoring 12 goals in his last 17 games for Wales.

I'm sorry Lass but that's one silly statement and has been tore apart by the stats. 

Lass have you morphed into Henry Sellers or something? Did Bale sack you from the BBC?

Bale is nothing without Ramsey

Ridiculous post.

Bale can be marked out of a game and still hurt us on a set piece. He's a huge danger to us.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

3-1 I reckon

Lass have you morphed into Henry Sellers or something? Did Bale sack you from the BBC?

Ridiculous post.

Bale can be marked out of a game and still hurt us on a set piece. He's a huge danger to us.

LOL maybe a little over the top perhaps I still think that Ramsey is more dangerous
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:53pm

3-1 I reckon

Ridiculous post.

LOL maybe a little over the top perhaps I still think that Ramsey is more dangerous

I take your point on Ramsey being a very effective player for Wales but Bale is the biggest threat and most dangerous in a goal scoring sense.

You have to remember that our team won't underestimate Wales's midfielders the way teams like Belgium might have before which is why I think this could be a tit-for-tat battle at home next march and them not winning in Dublin could be a point gained rather than 2 lost as it keeps them 4 points behind us.

If it's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go I can see MON being less cautious and try to get us to press high and win the game.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm
Why are people discussing a game that is around 18 weeks away?

Absolutely anything can happen in the meantime! people naming their starting 11 too - crazy talk.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

We have individuals with pace but our system is and has to be compact and our approach pragmatic. We don't have the players to play an expansive game and leave ourselves open.
Our wingers constantly have to come back and cover our full backs so we can keep it tight when we're playing better opposition.

Our wins last night and against Germany had nothing to do with a pacey playing style but trying to keep a defensive shape that's difficult to break down.

I think in regards to the Wales game even though we're at home Wales probably know they need to win moree than we neccessarily do.O'Neill may keep this in mind and not overcommit unless the game is not going well for us.

The benefits of pace in the team and playing a compact system are two sides of the same coin.  They're based on (i) defending well with 11 men as a unit and then (ii) being able to break quickly from your own half when possession changes, with Long (v Germany) or McClean (v Austria) being able to simply outrun the defenders - before executing wonderful finishes.   

Pace is not particularly useful in an expansive game where the premium is on passing and teams are already back defending.  We're clearly not a possession team playing expansive football.  Our best play it defending well and striking back fast when play and the other team's structure is disrupted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 132>
  Share Topic