You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Immigration Policy in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Immigration Policy in Ireland
    Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 8:37pm
To keep it out of the politics thread.

We've not had an issue with it to date, but I can see this welcoming new posters. Any racist posts will be deleted and the user suspended.

For what it's worth, I'm broadly welcoming of anyone who wants to come. We need the labour and for the most part those people are feeling dire circumstances, as many Irish people have for generations. 

Working in social housing, these people are categorically not taking housing from Irish people. Albeit we do clearly need to build a lot more. 
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 8:51pm
I worked for 6 years in social welfare as a civil servant and it would turn anyone against immigration. Fellas from abroad who never worked a day in their life were getting hundreds in social welfare. 

That said I did see the worst of the worst obviously.

Edited by Jackal - 15 Feb 2024 at 8:52pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 9:03pm
Over 60 per cent refused in January this year compared to 18 per cent last year.
Government promising a 'crackdown' shows how badly they got this wrong.

I see a German Head was in Ireland this week and spoke about how they are clamping down on those just seeking benefits. 

It's simple...have a proper system so those who need help get it 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

I worked for 6 years in social welfare as a civil servant and it would turn anyone against immigration. Fellas from abroad who never worked a day in their life were getting hundreds in social welfare. 

How does someone in a dole office know someone from abroad has never worked a day in their lives?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

How does someone in a dole office know someone from abroad has never worked a day in their lives?

Never worked a day in their life in Ireland...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 9:27pm

Plenty of them ****s living on my road. All Irish. And driving decent motors. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Plenty of them ****s living on my road. All Irish. And driving decent motors. 

O ya. Irish equally bad. You'd see it all working there. Fellas coming in wondering why their 'wages' were stopped. 

We are stuck with those numpties by the fact they live here and we're raised here. It doesn't mean we should also have to pay out to fellas from overseas too.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

We've not had an issue with it to date, but I can see this welcoming new posters. Any racist posts will be deleted and the user suspended.

For what it's worth, I'm broadly welcoming of anyone who wants to come. We need the labour and for the most part those people are feeling dire circumstances, as many Irish people have for generations. 

Working in social housing, these people are categorically not taking housing from Irish people. Albeit we do clearly need to build a lot more. 
How do you define racist ? 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 10:18pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Never worked a day in their life in Ireland...
That’s not what you said. “Fellas from abroad who never worked a day in their life were getting hundreds in social welfare”. So you admit that’s not true.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 15 Feb 2024 at 10:19pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 10:52pm
I think all opinion polls provide certainty that current immigration policy is now a significant topic for the electorate. Do I think it's as important as Housing and Healthcare - absolutely not. I also don't believe the vast majority of people in these opinion polls have an issue with legal migration but do believe current asylum trends in particular are unsustainable and we are a soft touch in terms of rejecting bogus applications and enforcing deportations. 

I think another thing people need to be aware of is that concerns related to immigration are not always confined to "white Irish". I have friends from both Eastern European and Asian backgrounds who would have grown up in Ireland and they also feel a bit frustrated with the current system. Again, that's not me saying it's indicative of any community or their thoughts, but I think important to note that concerns with a policy don't also have to come from a particular demographic.
just hit the fecking thing
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Stereotyping someone or a group of people based on their ethnicity or where they're from. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2024 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Stereotyping someone or a group of people based on their ethnicity or where they're from. 
Fair enough, thats clear....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 1:15am
That hotel in Drogheda being used for 500 IPA's is a stab in the back for the town. The other hotel on the main street is also closed and used to house Ukrainians. Not surprised they'll target here as it's a Sinn Fein stronghold so they've not much to lose in terms of votes.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 4:02am
I spend a fair bit of time in Drogheda as the missus is from there. I'd wager you've spent next to no time there. As far as I know, another poster, Wheelo, is from there, so might be able to offer more of a perspective than what you've read on some twitter thread from a poster with "Ireland4DeIrish" in it's bio.

You only have to drive through Drogheda once to see the amount of dereliction around the place. The town has nothing to offer tourists, and the tourist attractions are all outside the town and are easily accessible from Dublin. It's a huge town, in need of a major facelift and an economic boost. None of which has anything to do with a hotel housing asylum seekers. 

Edited by The Huntacha - 16 Feb 2024 at 4:06am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 4:19am
LOL Ouch

It would damage this forums' reputation
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 7:48am
So, essentially just Tony's Rangers thread but for the eireland fella on immigrants. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 8:41am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I spend a fair bit of time in Drogheda as the missus is from there. I'd wager you've spent next to no time there. As far as I know, another poster, Wheelo, is from there, so might be able to offer more of a perspective than what you've read on some twitter thread from a poster with "Ireland4DeIrish" in it's bio.

You only have to drive through Drogheda once to see the amount of dereliction around the place. The town has nothing to offer tourists, and the tourist attractions are all outside the town and are easily accessible from Dublin. It's a huge town, in need of a major facelift and an economic boost. None of which has anything to do with a hotel housing asylum seekers. 

Drogheda is a town that always had huge potential if marketed right. Location is great, 20 mins from airport, close to Dublin, on the boyne, has historical things in town and a short drive away, etc .Unfortunately Dundalk has always been supported by governments in attracting businesses, while leaving drogheda rot away. That’s going on decades.

You’re right, the town has been let get run down. However, there has been a shift the last few years to try get it back up and running in attracting festivals (eg comedy fesitval in a few weeks) and there has been an attempt to start pushing the tourism market. Honestly, if marketed properly it could thrive re tourism (I’ve given a lad from turkey and a couple of Americans walking tours of the historical parts of the town and they really enjoyed it).

But these efforts are now too little, too late, as this d hotel fiasco has finished off any chance of getting drogheda up and running.

Putting 500 asylum seekers in a hotel that is attached to a shopping centre in the town centre is going to finally kill off the town. If you know the location, you will know there is loads of space around for them to “hang around”.

Wed have a problem as it is with dubs who moved to south side of town especially and just going to swords for shopping, etc rather than shopping in drogheda. That will only increase now as I can see people want to stay away from scotch hall now, which will effect more local businesses, etc

So you’re right, drogheda is a town that’s been neglected for years. But this fiasco is finally going to kill off any hope of it improving. It’s going to make the town a lot worse too 

Btw I haven’t seen that Twitter account you refer to but the right wing loonies sometimes dilute the genuine arguments/ concerns locals have all around the country 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 8:46am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It's probably a different issue but every smaller town is weaker than it used to be, and that's a worldwide thing these days. People want to holiday internationally these days, so you've lost the people that used to holiday in Bray, Drogheda, Youghal etc. And when you go international you go to the big tourist hubs. Irish go to New York and Paris rather than regional towns, People coming to rieland go to Dublin and Galway. Hotels in places like Drogheda need to attract business conferences, weddings etc to survive. There's no tourist attraction going to make people go there for a 3 night break IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic