You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

Slightly off topic to a certain extent...... solar panels on houses shouldn't be driven by grants and investment by an individual at their dwelling.. We should be tackling and investing in the issue at source i.e wind/wave/solar farms etc. It's another cop out by the Government. 
I paid for mine upfront and got the grant. Take your communist ideas elsewhere. The government should of course be doing this also but not at the expense of the individual. We can do both.
Jeez you really missed the point he's actually making 

course he did, he's thick as sh*t LOL
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:22am
I've been looking at this recently.

A 12 panel system, about 5kw with inverter and eddi immersion diverter should cost under €6k net of the grant and provide approx 70% of usable electricity need. You'll then use the mains at night using night rates and feed back to the meter at excess times of production in sumner.

Batteries are redundant now.

What I don't get from the my solar website is they are are looking for €10 extra for water when the immersion diverter is a one of cost of about €600.

Six panels is nowhere near enough for most houses. Average Irish consumption is 4300kwh per year and 11000kwh of gas.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

I've been looking at this recently.

A 12 panel system, about 5kw with inverter and eddi immersion diverter should cost under €6k net of the grant and provide approx 70% of usable electricity need. You'll then use the mains at night using night rates and feed back to the meter at excess times of production in sumner.

Batteries are redundant now.

What I don't get from the my solar website is they are are looking for €10 extra for water when the immersion diverter is a one of cost of about €600.

Six panels is nowhere near enough for most houses. Average Irish consumption is 4300kwh per year and 11000kwh of gas.

Cheers Tom. I've no idea how many panels are needed. But worth the enquiry to suss. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:58am
I’m just finished a new build and grants aren’t available for Solar and the approx. cost when enquiring were about 15k all in. For my 4300kw usage per annum, I have power, water (pumped well) septic tank ( reverse cycle system running on 8 hour cycles), heat (Air 2 Water) and MHRU (ventilation). The house is costing me roughly a fiver a day to run. So that 15k outlay excluding service and maintenance  would take approx. 8.5 years before it becomes cost neutral. Now you must also factor in battery and solar panel degeneration etc & technology advances , I don’t know how long the system will continue to run efficient and functional before replacement.  Resultantly it wasn’t for me, I’ll wait a few years and see what happens. But what I will say is there are may other way to make your home energy efficient. One system I’ve been telling people to stay away for several years is spray foam. There's too much we don’t know about the product. Installers will tell you about open and closed cell systems with vent sheets etc etc but it’s still unproven. Yes it retains heats and closes out wind wash from soffits etc but the chemical reaction to timber (age and treatment), felt tiles etc etc is unproven. This in turn leads to questions about the structural integrity of homes etc. You can’t beat fixed rigid insulation, it’s proven, its tested, its certified and has no integrity issues. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 10:23am
Definitely wouldn't say batteries are redundant. No point taking from the grid the moment the sun goes down!! We have a full tank of hot water and a full battery every night from about mid Feb to October 

Great job 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 1:28pm

I’m just finished a new build and grants aren’t available for Solar and the approx. cost when enquiring were about 15k all in. For my 4300kw usage per annum, I have power, water (pumped well) septic tank ( reverse cycle system running on 8 hour cycles), heat (Air 2 Water) and MHRU (ventilation). The house is costing me roughly a fiver a day to run. So that 15k outlay excluding service and maintenance  would take approx. 8.5 years before it becomes cost neutral. Now you must also factor in battery and solar panel degeneration etc & technology advances , I don’t know how long the system will continue to run efficient and functional before replacement.  Resultantly it wasn’t for me, I’ll wait a few years and see what happens. But what I will say is there are may other way to make your home energy efficient. One system I’ve been telling people to stay away for several years is spray foam. There's too much we don’t know about the product. Installers will tell you about open and closed cell systems with vent sheets etc etc but it’s still unproven. Yes it retains heats and closes out wind wash from soffits etc but the chemical reaction to timber (age and treatment), Deadfelt tiles etc etc is unproven. This in turn leads to questions about the structural integrity of homes etc. You can’t beat fixed rigid insulation, it’s proven, its tested, its certified and has no integrity issues. 
Jesus €5 a day is class. Built myself a few years ago with everything you have except the well pump and I’m around €16 a day in winter time

Actually going to put in a solid fuel stove in kitchen/living room to get costs down. Left a chimney in but plumbers/architect all told me not to put in the stove at the start. I’m glad I still put in chimney to have the option
Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

I’m just finished a new build and grants aren’t available for Solar and the approx. cost when enquiring were about 15k all in. For my 4300kw usage per annum, I have power, water (pumped well) septic tank ( reverse cycle system running on 8 hour cycles), heat (Air 2 Water) and MHRU (ventilation). The house is costing me roughly a fiver a day to run. So that 15k outlay excluding service and maintenance  would take approx. 8.5 years before it becomes cost neutral. Now you must also factor in battery and solar panel degeneration etc & technology advances , I don’t know how long the system will continue to run efficient and functional before replacement.  Resultantly it wasn’t for me, I’ll wait a few years and see what happens. But what I will say is there are may other way to make your home energy efficient. One system I’ve been telling people to stay away for several years is spray foam. There's too much we don’t know about the product. Installers will tell you about open and closed cell systems with vent sheets etc etc but it’s still unproven. Yes it retains heats and closes out wind wash from soffits etc but the chemical reaction to timber (age and treatment), Deadfelt tiles etc etc is unproven. This in turn leads to questions about the structural integrity of homes etc. You can’t beat fixed rigid insulation, it’s proven, its tested, its certified and has no integrity issues. 
Jesus €5 a day is class. Built myself a few years ago with everything you have except the well pump and I’m around €16 a day in winter time

Actually going to put in a solid fuel stove in kitchen/living room to get costs down. Left a chimney in but plumbers/architect all told me not to put in the stove at the start. I’m glad I still put in chimney to have the option

I've learned to tweak a few things over the last while. Few pointers for you. With the MHRU check the settings. Most systems are running at 40% intake( to living areas) and 40% extract ( to wet areas) and they call this “a balanced system”. What you should do is check your thermostat in your living room, turn off the MHRU for say 30 min and see what the temperature difference is. If the fluctuation is 1.5 degrees plus, then the MHRU its set too high. I have totally imbalanced my system. I have mine set at 15% intake and 25%. If I turn it down more, condensation will appear when it reaches below -3 outside.

Air 2 water; don’t heat your house by zone if you have underfloor heating. Heat your house per slab ( Ground floor / 1st floor etc.) turn all stats on to full, theoretically the actuators are open constantly which in turn heats your slab entirely. Have your Air 2 water unit running on weather dependent mode. This is basically finding the equilibrium point between the inside temp vs the outside temp.

When its gets really cold outside, turn down your heating down at night ( there should be a setting on your unit where you can turn your equilibrium point down 10 degrees). This means instead of the system trying to run 35 degree heat through the slab its actually still running 25 degree heat therefore burning less electricity. Concrete itself stores energy (heat) and releases it slowly over time. When its bright again the next morning reset the system back to the equilibrium point. There used to be some days I was using 30-40kw a day to heat the house but by doing the above im still using my average of 6 to 10 kw.

I’ve actually turned my heating off about 2 weeks ago and I do have a fair few windows in the house so I do get a lot of thermal gain but the house hasn’t dropped under 19.3 degrees yet when in this sh*t weather. 

Edited by Mush Cassidys Donkey - 27 Mar 2024 at 2:25pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Definitely wouldn't say batteries are redundant. No point taking from the grid the moment the sun goes down!! We have a full tank of hot water and a full battery every night from about mid Feb to October 

Great job 
Same here the battery is the business. 
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

I've learned to tweak a few things over the last while. Few pointers for you. With the MHRU check the settings. Most systems are running at 40% intake( to living areas) and 40% extract ( to wet areas) and they call this “a balanced system”. What you should do is check your thermostat in your living room, turn off the MHRU for say 30 min and see what the temperature difference is. If the fluctuation is 1.5 degrees plus, then the MHRU its set too high. I have totally imbalanced my system. I have mine set at 15% intake and 25%. If I turn it down more, condensation will appear when it reaches below -3 outside.

Air 2 water; don’t heat your house by zone if you have underfloor heating. Heat your house per slab ( Ground floor / 1st floor etc.) turn all stats on to full, theoretically the actuators are open constantly which in turn heats your slab entirely. Have your Air 2 water unit running on weather dependent mode. This is basically finding the equilibrium point between the inside temp vs the outside temp.

When its gets really cold outside, turn down your heating down at night ( there should be a setting on your unit where you can turn your equilibrium point down 10 degrees). This means instead of the system trying to run 35 degree heat through the slab its actually still running 25 degree heat therefore burning less electricity. Concrete itself stores energy (heat) and releases it slowly over time. When its bright again the next morning reset the system back to the equilibrium point. There used to be some days I was using 30-40kw a day to heat the house but by doing the above im still using my average of 6 to 10 kw.

I’ve actually turned my heating off about 2 weeks ago and I do have a fair few windows in the house so I do get a lot of thermal gain but the house hasn’t dropped under 19.3 degrees yet when in this sh*t weather. 

good man cheers for that. 

Had serious bother with ventilation system from beam (shower of ****s) so have been tweaking at the fan speeds myself as well. 
Will have a look at your other suggestions👍🏻
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great job 

It's a cost matter. You can divert excess to either hot water or back to the grid. Feed in tariff gets you a higher price than most night rates. It makes sense to heat water at night and sell your excess during the day at the higher rate. Same goes for car charging and other high energy tasks the can be done at night like dishwashing or clothes on timers.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 8:32pm
The Financial Times reports that solar panels have become 'so cheap' that they are being used to build 'garden fences in the Netherlands and Germany', amid surge in Chinese production saturating the global market.

Will roof's of cars contain solar panels in the next 20 years?
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 8:36pm

The Financial Times reports that solar panels have become 'so cheap' that they are being used to build 'garden fences in the Netherlands and Germany', amid surge in Chinese production saturating the global market.

As typical in Ireland, we are being ripped off with the grants keeping prices artificially high
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

As typical in Ireland, we are being ripped off with the grants keeping prices artificially high
Despite being ripped off they're still quite affordable here and a good investment. Maybe Ireland isn't flooded with the cheap Chinese panels? 

Overall though it's a great trend. Solar panels should be absolutely everywhere. Go to eastern Europe and you'll see that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic