You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robbie Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Razors left peg Razors left peg wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

That you can't have the opinion that Keane shouldn't be managing in Israel while owning an iPhone, or thinking its OK for someone from Ireland to earn a living in the UK, is absolutely daft. 

I think it's much more hypocritical to be condemning what's going on there and at the same time thinking its OK for Keane just because he wants to "further his career".

What's hypocritical is having the opinion that a man shouldn't be working somewhere because it's the cause cèlébre of the day while turning a blind eye to other atrocities. 

Robbie signed a contract to work in Israel before the October 7th attacks by Hamas. The response by Israel has been disgusting and Robbie has continued to fulfill his contract there since, much like all the nations of the world who have trade agreements with them. Israel has also been allowed to continue operating as normal in the general sports world, I'm watching Israel Premier Tech compete in the Giro D'Italia at the moment. 

Why should Robbie have to be the moral compass of the world of business and say he's no longer working there when the world at large continues. Lads in Ireland hammer him and call him a disgrace while they continue themselves to use McDonald's and Starbucks

"Cause célébre" Dead I hope you're just a bit dim, because if you aren't you're simply callous.

Funny how you call someone else dim while completely failing to engage on the points that I and others have mentioned about other atrocities, even in our own country. 

I get you're mad at the big bad millionaire for earning more money while you are standing in the dole queue but it is possible to think 2 things at the same time. I can think the conflict in Israel is appalling, while knowing that I personally work in a country that has also committed appalling acts so who am I to judge Robbie for taking a job in the only place that was actually offering him one. 

Edited by Razors left peg - 14 May 2024 at 5:18pm
Dont argue with stupid people, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

That you can't have the opinion that Keane shouldn't be managing in Israel while owning an iPhone, or thinking its OK for someone from Ireland to earn a living in the UK, is absolutely daft. 

I think it's much more hypocritical to be condemning what's going on there and at the same time thinking its OK for Keane just because he wants to "further his career".

What's hypocritical is having the opinion that a man shouldn't be working somewhere because it's the cause cèlébre of the day while turning a blind eye to other atrocities. 

Robbie signed a contract to work in Israel before the October 7th attacks by Hamas. The response by Israel has been disgusting and Robbie has continued to fulfill his contract there since, much like all the nations of the world who have trade agreements with them. Israel has also been allowed to continue operating as normal in the general sports world, I'm watching Israel Premier Tech compete in the Giro D'Italia at the moment. 

Why should Robbie have to be the moral compass of the world of business and say he's no longer working there when the world at large continues. Lads in Ireland hammer him and call him a disgrace while they continue themselves to use McDonald's and Starbucks

The British state...
I'm well aware, I grew up and lived through it. I still have the opinion that Keane shouldn't currently be working there.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 5:52pm
Would prefer if he didn't work there but from a pure football perspective it was the highest profile job available for him and he is doing well. I can see why he wouldn't leave in the middle of it. 

Hopefully another offer closer to home comes up off the back of this season and he can get out of there.

Think with time the damage to his reputation will be repaired too
Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Would prefer if he didn't work there but from a pure football perspective it was the highest profile job available for him and he is doing well. I can see why he wouldn't leave in the middle of it. 

Hopefully another offer closer to home comes up off the back of this season and he can get out of there.

Think with time the damage to his reputation will be repaired too

If he leaves at the end of the season having won the league and had a good run in Europe I agree that  from a football perspective it'll be good.

Having said all I've said, I think I'd struggle to defend him if he stayed a 2nd season. As you said, I can see why he seen out this season from a professional point of view
Dont argue with stupid people, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:13pm
I have a tenner on him at 50/1 to get the Ireland job. Hurry up and leave Robbie 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I have a tenner on him at 50/1 to get the Ireland job. Hurry up and leave Robbie 

If he got the job and we somehow managed to beat England in September would those who dont like him not celebrate in protest?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:26pm

If he got the job and we somehow managed to beat England in September would those who dont like him not celebrate in protest?

You're trying to make light of a genocide and are oblivious as to how tasteless it looks. The country really is f*cked, too many imbeciles trying to be edgy contrarians for the sake of it rather than simply acknowledging the atrocities unfolding before them are unconscionable and without caveat.
We're decent enough..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You're trying to make light of a genocide and are oblivious as to how tasteless it looks. The country really is f*cked, too many imbeciles trying to be edgy contrarians for the sake of it rather than simply acknowledging the atrocities unfolding before them are unconscionable and without caveat.

Where did I make any sort of caveat. Is Robbie launching missiles into Gaza? Is he out at night with a sniper rifle picking off civilians? Everyone is pretty clear in agreeing that whats happening in Gaza is genocide being committed by a horrific Government in Israel. A man working a job there is not the same thing. Should I stop talking to my British friends because their government still occupies a part of my own country? Should I leave my wife because she once worked in Israel for a time, it was over 10 years ago but shes still obviously associated with that country? I've visited Jerusalem as a tourist, do I have to register as a war criminal now? Whats the line?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 7:04pm
I still think there is conflation between somebody being used by a regime through sports and arts, or somebody who just happens to work in a regime that is responsible for the type of thing that is going on in Gaza. Ditto, if you are receiving money directly from that state for the purposes of laundering its reputation. We may not like the geopolitical behaviour of the state he is working in. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I still think there is conflation between somebody being used by a regime through sports and arts, or somebody who just happens to work in a regime that is responsible for the type of thing that is going on in Gaza. Ditto, if you are receiving money directly from that state for the purposes of laundering its reputation. We may not like the geopolitical behaviour of the state he is working in. 

Excellent point. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226
  Share Topic