You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gaeilge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:57pm
Always listen to radio na Gaeltachta in the car when boss comes over from England to piss him off.
Chips don't bounce
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:02pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:35pm
Done my Leaving Cert in it. I can understand it but my grammar is fairly bad.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 2:10pm
Would be about 80% fluent.

Was average enough the first few years at school then spent a few summers in the Gaeltacht and learned to love the language.

My niece and nephew are both in Irish schools and whilst their Dad is fluent ,my sister wouldnt have a word.Dont know what the policy is exactly,seems to be swept under the carpet a bit and not talked about.Was told before that its to keep foreign kids out.This sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory idea but its not when you think about it.When i was growing up The Irish school in my town was the smallest school in the town,one room,only opened in the 80's.Now its the biggest school in town  by far and everyone i know has kids in it or is planning on sending them there.

My old school which was considered posh at the time now has students from all over the world with varying degrees of English all in the one class thus creating a very difficult learning environment and in many cases leaving the students at a disadvantage when they hit for secondary school.

Edited by kimbap - 03 Jan 2014 at 2:11pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I thought the parents had to speak Irish too?

The way Irish is being taught is dull and boring.

When I was being taught Spanish in 1st year it was being taught by cartoons and it was very entertaining and everyone loved it.

Spanish is a useful language that's needed in many countries. Irish is about as useful as Welsh, where only one race of people from one country can speak it, and it's useless everywhere else. Add in that it's a compulsory subject, taught badly with too many rules to follow, with the world's most important language available on tap, and lack of interest in Irish is inevitable.

Forcing people to learn languages they rarely need is not the best way to make people learn it. As a nation, our knowledge of foreign languages is poor, but we'd be much worse off globally if Irish was the only official language we had.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:31pm
The problem is that we're made to learn stories and comprehensions, something that isn't done when learning French. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:46pm
Agree with both planning and corkery's points. I good enough at it in school but took the dim view a lot of us had of "Sure why do I need to know that" and "I'll never have to use it again". It's only as you get older that you have an appreciation for it, after all it's part of our culture etc and to call myself Irish and not be able to speak it sickens me.

It's taught very bad in the schools though and hopefully it gets revised. Learning about King Lir and all those other stories in Irish is a waste of time when most students struggle to hold a conversation.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:33pm
I'm maybe 50% fluent but improving gradually and at my own comfortable pace. I practice speaking Irish every chance I get and have been doing this for the last year or so. I don't get tied up with writing and grammer. I just speak what I know and never worry about mistakes. It's really amazing the stuff that comes back to you also.

I use TG4 a lot and there is the Gael Taca café in Sullivans Quay in Cork. I also spend two or three hours a week in the library learning new words and phrases from dictionaries that I might use later in the Gael Taca.

One thing I used to find really helpful was the sport as gaeilge section that used to come out every Thursday (I think) with the Star. It had it's own new vocabulary sections and some very well written articles. I would love to know if this will be continued. Maybe some of the guys on the forum would know as I know that some of the lads work there. But either way the main thing for me is to practice the cupla focail every chance I get both at home with the family and outside on the street.

Edited by Trapcandoit - 04 Jan 2014 at 9:51pm
5 goals to go Robbie!
Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 1:52am
i can speak the language well but im brutal at the grammar rules tbh. I work in summer colleges during the summer to practice irish as well as earn great money and have a good laugh. I write and record songs on youtube with my friend through Irish and ive got over 5000 views on some of the videos but the problem we have is that lurgan in galway keep getting credit for songs we write and as a result they get cash etc from it. Songs weve done last year              include ho hey,little talks,give me love,pompeii and sweet nothing. I xant link them up to the forum now as im on my phone but the
youtube channel is: an chuallacht. im recording a new song in the next 2 weeks with over 70 participants for the ucc irishdepartment.
Omnia Causa Fiunt
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:19am
When in college I did my work placement in the local irish school. Wasnt my choice as I'm far from fluent but had no other choice. 1st few weeks were tough had kids of 5/6 speaking better irish than me. Over the weeks I found my own level of the language increasing but would still like to improve it more. There were children from foreign families in the school I was in but would imagine they were born here and they had a great grasp of the language
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Trapcandoit View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapcandoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 12:07pm
After posting last night I just woke up there thinking that I forgot the most important thing I have learned about this topic. It's a huge cliché at this point but it is this: Enjoy it. Enjoy speaking it, enjoy meeting new friends while speaking it, enjoy the craic

Edited by Trapcandoit - 05 Jan 2014 at 12:13pm
5 goals to go Robbie!
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Agree with both planning and corkery's points. I good enough at it in school but took the dim view a lot of us had of "Sure why do I need to know that" and "I'll never have to use it again". It's only as you get older that you have an appreciation for it, after all it's part of our culture etc and to call myself Irish and not be able to speak it sickens me.

It's taught very bad in the schools though and hopefully it gets revised. Learning about King Lir and all those other stories in Irish is a waste of time when most students struggle to hold a conversation.

Revised primary curriculum in 1999.
Can't speak for second level education but I'd say the reason there is an expectancy to learn stories for the LC is that by the time pupils reach that stage they will have had 11/12 years of learning the language so I'd imagine being able to hold a conservation is the minimum requirement. That's not me trying to be a smart arse btw but I think the huge level of apathy and sure 'I'll never use it anyway' play a part.

Edited by kopkid - 05 Jan 2014 at 12:32pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

The problem is that we're made to learn stories and comprehensions, something that isn't done when learning French. 

The problem is that people are forced to learn a language they rarely need. Fluency in any language is usually achieved when the person actually wants to learn the language.

Those who go to the Gaeltacht were, and probably still are, severely punished for speaking minimal English. My Irish teacher in secondary school had a short fuse which could blow over the most trivial error, and when it did, his rage was such that it could often be overheard by students in neighbouring classrooms. It resulted in Irish classes being endured rather than enjoyed, and you learned what you had to, rather than what you wanted. 

Alternatively, I could see the benefits of learning foreign languages, but couldn't begin learning it until secondary school. Not learning it for such a long time is one of the reasons why many Irish people struggle to master foreign languages. 

Malta is the only other country in Europe to be officially bilingual in it's own language and English. But the roles there are reversed, where English is only used when it's absolutely necessary.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by kopkid kopkid wrote:

Can't speak for second level education but I'd say the reason there is an expectancy to learn stories for the LC is that by the time pupils reach that stage they will have had 11/12 years of learning the language so I'd imagine being able to hold a conservation is the minimum requirement. That's not me trying to be a smart arse btw but I think the huge level of apathy and sure 'I'll never use it anyway' play a part.
This is it. When you start learning a European language in your first year of secondary school, the expectation is that you have zero knowledge of that language, so you start with the basics, learning words, phrases etc, through things like cartoons and tapes and stuff like that.
Whereas by that point you should already have 8 years of primary education of Irish, so you are expected to have an understanding of both written and spoken Irish, so the course is more directed at books, plays, poems etc similar to what you do in English at secondary level.
The stuff you are learning in first year French/German/Spanish is what you should have learned in Junior/Senior Infants for Irish.
The problem is that the expectation and the reality are very different and most people arrive in secondary school with very limited Irish and are then expected to start the Junior Cert curriculum without the necessary skills.
You then get to Leaving Cert level and you've been "studying" the language for 11/12 years and you know less than the language you have studied for 3 years mainly because it has become a massive struggle and you don't enjoy it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Originally posted by kopkid kopkid wrote:

This is it. When you start learning a European language in your first year of secondary school, the expectation is that you have zero knowledge of that language, so you start with the basics, learning words, phrases etc, through things like cartoons and tapes and stuff like that.
Whereas by that point you should already have 8 years of primary education of Irish, so you are expected to have an understanding of both written and spoken Irish, so the course is more directed at books, plays, poems etc similar to what you do in English at secondary level.
The stuff you are learning in first year French/German/Spanish is what you should have learned in Junior/Senior Infants for Irish.
The problem is that the expectation and the reality are very different and most people arrive in secondary school with very limited Irish and are then expected to start the Junior Cert curriculum without the necessary skills.
You then get to Leaving Cert level and you've been "studying" the language for 11/12 years and you know less than the language you have studied for 3 years mainly because it has become a massive struggle and you don't enjoy it.

Pretty much spot on.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2014 at 12:21pm
I would say I had a pretty decent level of Irish leaving primary school as in I could understand, write and hold a broken conversation in it.

But after two years of Secondary school I have lost most of it. I did German for 4 years in secondary and can speak better German than Irish.

Agree 100% with Hoosay's post the way you are taught once you go into Secondary is a lot different as you are expected to know more than you should.

I for one do find it kind of embarrassing that I can't speak our language mind. I will say also that I also get the points people are making on here about why bother learning it as no ones speaks it argument I kind of agree but in other terms it is part of our heritage as Irish men and women to know it.

Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 12:03am
I recorded a song tonight with over a 100 people in UCC and it will be up on Youtube tomorrow. Its class with over 10 musicians, 10 dancers and 100 singers.
Omnia Causa Fiunt
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:59am
Tir gan teanga Tir gan anam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic