Beckham documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 3:41pm
he was both overrated and underrated by some.  Very like Trent I think.  Not blistering quick or couldn’t control a game from the centre but could get enough space to put in a great cross or score a great goal and worked back really well.  Was decent defensively.  Seems a nice guy.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

He had a limited skillset, but those skills, crossing, long range passing, set pieces were at a top level and got a lot of attention. His image carried his career, if he looked like Luke Chadwick he would have never got as many caps or played abroad. Madrid seen the shirt sales when they signed. Barca signed Ronaldinho at the same time and prospered. 

He played centrally  a few times but was a headless chicken. Even when he scored the winner vs Greece I'm sure he missed a load of free kicks that day. A good player but vastly overrated. Wasnt even the second best player at Utd in 99, how he came second in Balon d'Or is a mystery. 

I haven't seen the documentary. But he was a good player in fairness. I think because he was a good looking guy with the flashy hair style etc people dismissed him as over rated maybe. When you look past it all he would get into most teams even now. His crossing alone was unbelievable. 
I love beer gardens
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 3:01pm
He had a limited skillset, but those skills, crossing, long range passing, set pieces were at a top level and got a lot of attention. His image carried his career, if he looked like Luke Chadwick he would have never got as many caps or played abroad. Madrid seen the shirt sales when they signed. Barca signed Ronaldinho at the same time and prospered. 

He played centrally  a few times but was a headless chicken. Even when he scored the winner vs Greece I'm sure he missed a load of free kicks that day. A good player but vastly overrated. Wasnt even the second best player at Utd in 99, how he came second in Balon d'Or is a mystery. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 2:44pm
Is it my imagination, or did he play centrally in the 1999 Champions League final? Giggs was on the right and Blomqvist on the left? I think the nature of the win overshadows the fact that Man U actually played pretty poorly that night and were saved by the post and the bar. The midfield never looked functional. Beckham’s corner for OGS’ winner was a peach.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 2:29pm
Don't recall him ever being rated in the Zidane or Ronaldo category back then. Michael Owen was rated higher also
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by foden1981 foden1981 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He was never really rated as one of the best 4 or 5 players in the world though, not that I remember anyway

Yes he was . He was runner up twice in the ballon dor. And some idiot united fans believe he should won it in 99 instead of Rivaldo .

And people here think my opinions are crazy!

Many Brentford players finished runner up twice in the Ballon d'or?
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:57pm
I think how big of a brand he is has actually led to him becoming a tad underrated as a footballer. Prime Beckham would be just fine in the modern game, maybe in a De Bruyne type role, or sitting a little bit deeper. He may have gone to the USA aged 32, but Real Madrid wanted to keep him in the end.
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:52pm

He was never really rated as one of the best 4 or 5 players in the world though, not that I remember anyway

Yes he was . He was runner up twice in the ballon dor. And some idiot united fans believe he should won it in 99 instead of Rivaldo .

And people here think my opinions are crazy!

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Beckham was a good player who worked well in United’s system but he was absolutely overrated!

It amazes me that Roy Keane put beckham in his man utd 11 and didn't pick scholes or giggs. That is something i cannot understand.

Roy has picked 3 or 4 of these at this stage and changed it a few times and giggs and Scholes have been in them.  So I wouldn’t use that as a reference point. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:15pm
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Beckham was a good player who worked well in United’s system but he was absolutely overrated!

It amazes me that Roy Keane put beckham in his man utd 11 and didn't pick scholes or giggs. That is something i cannot understand.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 1:04pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Does anyone take this Foden lad seriously?

I think beckham was overrated and that makes me a clown how?.
I’d say it’s all your other opinions in the last few weeks that have people not taking you seriously 
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

I think beckham was overrated and that makes me a clown how?.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 12:16pm
foden1981 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foden1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

He would be better in the modern game as either one of the two in a 4231 or as a 3(midfield not wing) in a 433 formation.

Having watched him and this current United team live many times, he would instantly be the best player at the club.

The best player at the club . Please drop your man utd bias for Beckham . If he was as good as you think he was . Then why did he flop at every tournament for England .
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:53am
He would be better in the modern game as either one of the two in a 4231 or as a 3(midfield not wing) in a 433 formation.

Having watched him and this current United team live many times, he would instantly be the best player at the club.

Edited by Roberto_Carlow - 02 Feb 2024 at 11:53am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:51am

He definitely wasn't ordinary as a footballer. 
OK he lacked a bit of pace, but was one of the best crossers and free kick takers in the world for a generation, if not the best. Back then teams played strikers and crossed the ball to them so it was very useful. Also good at the long passes

Proper football.  None of your tika taka nonsense.

Two men up front and whip in crosses from the wing.

Peter Kay returns to John Smiths
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic