You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 421422423424425 434>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:47am
With one exception, every name that has been offered up as our next potential manager is shrouded in conjecture and hope.  As this interminable process continues to drag on, it's looking ever more likely that the vastly inexperienced JOS may ultimately fill the role, a risky appointment that could compound the misery of the Kenny Era. With that potential disaster staring us right in the face, why don't we simply turn to the only man alive who has actually taken us to the World Cup? I don't care that it's 20 years ago.  Mick McCarthy has proven that he knows what it takes to get Ireland to the World Cup.  Others can talk the talk, but Mick has walked the walk. His second stint looks all the more remarkable considering the disastrous results that immediately followed under Kenny. I've no idea how Mick would react to the notion, nor the current state of his relationship with the FAI.  However, he may well fancy one final act to restore Ireland's soccer fortunes. Give Mick a four year deal, and let him build the team he wants. I have no doubt that we would be in a much better place in four years time. 
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

And what if Moyes had it in his head that the West Ham job was his last club job due to the demands it puts on him and he reckons that he doesn’t want to be working close in 80 hours a week and not seeing his wife.  We would be kicking ourselves.  We should explore every avenue and it’s the cost of a bloody call to his agent.  Nothing to lose.  We should also be checking out Benitez also. Our biggest problem is not the job it’s the spoofer we have out there talking and interviewing people.  Managers can handle eejits of administrators as they have low expectations of them. But when they have interfering directors of football who are absolute clowns, you have a major problem and it scares off would be candidates.  I am beginning to think we should get rid of him and just have the interim CEO and the president just talk money and contract with the manager they identify.  Leave the football out of it, maybe Bonner can chat about that as he will have some respect in the game. Canham has zero. 

You're deluded man, we couldn't get Chris Coleman remember. His agent would nudge the door anyway if he was interested and that won't be happening.

& you're only beginning to think Canham should go and his ways are why we cannot get anyone ? 
He is clearly the reason and cause of this mess.  

If he came to your house on Christmas Day and pissed into the fireplace & up the Christmas tree but winked at you said don't worry, this is part of the process of getting a manager, you'd probably say, ok so. 

What the f**k.  Is that really how you debate with people 😂😂😂

Canham is a clown and needs to be removed from the process asap.  I can’t say that any clearer.   How you get what you got from my posts and ended up at your Christmas Day story says now about you than it does about me I am afraid.  I think we should aim high and work our way down.  If that’s deluded so be it but it’s more likely to be successful than just accepting the fate of having JOS as our manager also. I will be very clear.  Do I think moyes will say yes,  no.  Do I think we should ask, yes.   Do I think Canham should go.  Yes he should.   

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2024 at 2:40am
AKA pedantic kunt
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 8:12am
Would agree with Baldrick , maybe moyes wants a quieter life but still have his foot in the door of management and international management might suit him down to the ground 

This type of scenario would suit us best an elder statesman with still a lot to offer fed up with the 24/7 of club management 

As for the suggestion of mick mc Carthy again ?  - I have had to go out and get Jesus another box of tissues 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Would agree with Baldrick , maybe moyes wants a quieter life but still have his foot in the door of management and international management might suit him down to the ground 

This type of scenario would suit us best an elder statesman with still a lot to offer fed up with the 24/7 of club management 

As for the suggestion of mick mc Carthy again ?  - I have had to go out and get Jesus another box of tissues 

Agree an elder statesman manager would suit us. Someone not learning on the job. Apart from the money issue, I don't think the FAI have the credibility to attract someone decent. That is not to say they shouldn't be trying. 

At the beginning of this process we were told how well connected Canham was and this would be an advantage as the net would be cast far and wide. We haven't seen any evidence of this. All the names linked bar Hudson have been obvious ones. 

However, don't understand how we can rule out Mick. If he was willing would give him a four year contract and ask him to build a team as suggested by the Sherminator. Sure there would be ups and downs but he would be the safest bet of any appointment. 

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 22 Apr 2024 at 9:04am
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Moyes has very strong family links to Portrush in Northern Ireland and is back regularly. If anything, he'd manage Northern Ireland, not us. There's not a chance anyway. He'll be managing Scotland.
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
Moyes has done a pretty sh*t job domestically with a talented West Ham squad over the past 2 seasons.

That Conference League run and trophy has saved him. They had 2 good seasons in a row in Europe prior to this one.

Some of their results this season:

West Ham 1-3 Man City
Liverpool 3-1 West Ham
Aston Villa 4-1 West Ham
Fulham 5-0 West Ham
Man Utd 3-0 West Ham
West Ham 0-6 Arsenal
Newcastle 4-3 West Ham (they were 3-1 up)
West Ham 0-2 Fulham
Palace 5-2 West Ham

Liverpool 5-1 West Ham (League Cup)

They still have to play Liverpool, Chelsea and City before the end of the season. Could be a few more hidings.

Moyes is obviously more than qualified to manage us, but he has a defeatist mentality vs elite opposition. That won't help us get results vs the likes of England. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 12:00pm
Moyes is not going to be the next Ireland manager.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If we ask nice enough he might feel sorry for us.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If we ask nice enough he might feel sorry for us.

Before Éire:

After Éire:

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:08pm
So Moyes is both not good enough for us but also out of our price range. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2024 at 1:08pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

So Moyes is both not good enough for us but also out of our price range. 

It's not that he's not qualified... it just wouldn't excite me.

He'd be an ideal candidate for the likes of TJ. Experienced, pragmatic, does the basics well, etc.

Just not the modern coach I was hoping for. That's sailed with Carsley.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:18pm
The Coachbusters seem to be banking on Sagnol still and hoping he takes up the job post Euros.  But if Georgia do well he will be off elsewhere to bigger and better offers.  So who we gonna call?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The Coachbusters seem to be banking on Sagnol still and hoping he takes up the job post Euros.  But if Georgia do well he will be off elsewhere to bigger and better offers.  So who we gonna call?

ten Hag.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:20pm
I imagine we'll probably get someone out of a job after the Euros. Don't think it'll be O Shea anyway.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I imagine we'll probably get someone out of a job after the Euros. Don't think it'll be O Shea anyway.

Not accounting for sackings / managers resigning, the following are out of contract after the Euros

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Not accounting for sackings / managers resigning, the following are out of contract after the Euros

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

Albania played some lovely football the day I watched them. Based on that and nothing else, I'd take Sylvinho. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

Albania played some lovely football the day I watched them. Based on that and nothing else, I'd take Sylvinho. 

Gets paid €750K if recent figures for managers wages at the Euros is correct.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

With one exception, every name that has been offered up as our next potential manager is shrouded in conjecture and hope.  As this interminable process continues to drag on, it's looking ever more likely that the vastly inexperienced JOS may ultimately fill the role, a risky appointment that could compound the misery of the Kenny Era. With that potential disaster staring us right in the face, why don't we simply turn to the only man alive who has actually taken us to the World Cup? I don't care that it's 20 years ago.  Mick McCarthy has proven that he knows what it takes to get Ireland to the World Cup.  Others can talk the talk, but Mick has walked the walk. His second stint looks all the more remarkable considering the disastrous results that immediately followed under Kenny. I've no idea how Mick would react to the notion, nor the current state of his relationship with the FAI.  However, he may well fancy one final act to restore Ireland's soccer fortunes. Give Mick a four year deal, and let him build the team he wants.

Wacko

Quote I have no doubt that we would be in a much better place in four years time. 

We'll be in a much better place in 4 years regardless of who is in charge, because the age gap that has been plaguing the squad since 2017 will finally have aged out.
Half the squad is currently U25.
In 4 years most of them will be in their prime or on the cusp of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 421422423424425 434>
  Share Topic