FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 433>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

There's nothing from Mick's last reign that would make me believe he could have us qualifying for tournaments again. We struggled against the minnows and the better teams had us at arms length

the football is a relic of a bygone era.

Since his last stint with the national team

won 2 drawn 1 lost 5 with APOEL, a team with significant advantages over much of the league
sacked by Cardiff after losing 8 in a row
lasted 3 months at Blackpool after 2 wins in 14

a great man, a good man. But not a good manager in the modern era. It would be a disaster

pointing at the fact he qualified us for one tournament over 20 years ago lacks any nuance or thought
Agree ....
Never forget this game;

Have to say this was one of the worst Ireland performances I can remember, I include Stan, MON and SK in that. It was his first game back, but we were so so bad.
Sponsored Links

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:06am
There's nothing from Mick's last reign that would make me believe he could have us qualifying for tournaments again. We struggled against the minnows and the better teams had us at arms length

the football is a relic of a bygone era.

Since his last stint with the national team

won 2 drawn 1 lost 5 with APOEL, a team with significant advantages over much of the league
sacked by Cardiff after losing 8 in a row
lasted 3 months at Blackpool after 2 wins in 14

a great man, a good man. But not a good manager in the modern era. It would be a disaster

pointing at the fact he qualified us for one tournament over 20 years ago lacks any nuance or thought

Edited by Jimmy Raggatip - 23 Apr 2024 at 10:06am
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:33am
This thread is like mould, it just grows even when there is no activity.
I see Mick is getting a mention again, FFS....do people remember the last time? If I took this long to hire someone for my company (at any level) they would think I just didn't care, or that I am incompetent and in way out of my depth. CEOs for major companies are hired in less than half the time, and their contracts are extremely complicated with bonus structures that would give you a headache to read. The search is now a farce, a joke among European football chat. Can we all just take the summer off from talking on this? ...anyway this thread could be parked for everyone's sanity?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

424 pages. It'll be 700 by the time Bruce is announced

Nah I reckon lots of people have tuned out.  We don’t care anymore. 

You have a fair point Baldie , I have given up on whoever they get Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 8:59am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Nah I reckon lots of people have tuned out.  We don’t care anymore. 
AKA pedantic kunt
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 8:52am
Danger here, OH NO
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 8:51am
12 hours without an update in the manager thread!?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I thought Hughton was only ruled out by the likes of Kerr because of burnout? The time this is taking he'll be well rested and raring to have a go at another job
That's how I'd look at it. The longer we "trust the process" the easier it would be to persuade Hughton into a new opportunity.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:47pm
I thought Hughton was only ruled out by the likes of Kerr because of burnout? The time this is taking he'll be well rested and raring to have a go at another job
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:45pm
I wouldn't be ruling out Hughton just yet and I think he could be persuaded. He would be an appointment I wouldn't be either happy or overly disappointed with, especially at this stage. The longer it drags on the more indifferent I am to it. It's a case of the best of a bad bunch now. 
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:36pm
I think the landscape has changed over the last few days. Cooke probably has at least a big a say as Canham in who the next manager will be. According to journos some "Senior" FAI figures want Hughton. I think that's dead in the water as Hughton would have got back to them by now. One journo report stated Cooke is a big fan of Roy Keane. Highly unlikely to happen unless the FAI find a benefactor. Would switch the narrative for the FAI in the short term. But it still looks like O'Shea and you would be surprised by how many people (non football fans) already think O'Shea is Ireland manager. The hammering the FAI are taking will lead to a rash decision. I'm sure of it.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by DC96 DC96 wrote:

Off topic but while we flounder look what the so called "minnows" are managing to pull off 

In ten years when we're taking a point off this lot in whatever group we're in and people are foaming at the mouth at how we're not trouncing these times, the above is precisely why.

Would make your blood boil. These lads will definitely be overtaking us in the ladder if they haven't already.

Where the feck is all this money our country is supposed to be flooded with in Surplus?
We don't need it put away for a rainy day fund we need it spent now to fix our sub standard investment in sport, major infrastructure projects, housing crisis, health care crisis (the inquest into that girls death is also blood boiling).

Sorry bit of a rant but how the country is ran and so conservative to do big things really pisses me off
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I imagine we'll probably get someone out of a job after the Euros. Don't think it'll be O Shea anyway.

Not accounting for sackings / managers resigning, the following are out of contract after the Euros

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

Albania played some lovely football the day I watched them. Based on that and nothing else, I'd take Sylvinho. 

Gets paid €750K if recent figures for managers wages at the Euros is correct.

Pretty sure thats including his qualification bonuses, a lot of places had him on the €500k mark until recently.

Sagnol was also only on around €200k a year but some more recent sources have him on double that, again probably down to qualification.

Its hard to gauge these types of things as theyre not widely published but the 3 of Sagnol, Sylvinhio and Iordanescu are all near the bottom of the wage bill for managers at the Euros.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I imagine we'll probably get someone out of a job after the Euros. Don't think it'll be O Shea anyway.

Not accounting for sackings / managers resigning, the following are out of contract after the Euros

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

Albania played some lovely football the day I watched them. Based on that and nothing else, I'd take Sylvinho. 

That includes around €350,000 of qualification bonuses.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

With one exception, every name that has been offered up as our next potential manager is shrouded in conjecture and hope.  As this interminable process continues to drag on, it's looking ever more likely that the vastly inexperienced JOS may ultimately fill the role, a risky appointment that could compound the misery of the Kenny Era. With that potential disaster staring us right in the face, why don't we simply turn to the only man alive who has actually taken us to the World Cup? I don't care that it's 20 years ago.  Mick McCarthy has proven that he knows what it takes to get Ireland to the World Cup.  Others can talk the talk, but Mick has walked the walk. His second stint looks all the more remarkable considering the disastrous results that immediately followed under Kenny. I've no idea how Mick would react to the notion, nor the current state of his relationship with the FAI.  However, he may well fancy one final act to restore Ireland's soccer fortunes. Give Mick a four year deal, and let him build the team he wants.

Wacko

Quote I have no doubt that we would be in a much better place in four years time. 

We'll be in a much better place in 4 years regardless of who is in charge, because the age gap that has been plaguing the squad since 2017 will finally have aged out.
Half the squad is currently U25.
In 4 years most of them will be in their prime or on the cusp of it.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:50pm

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:34pm

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:33pm

Sagnol (Georgia)
Sylvinhio (Albania)
Southgate (England)
Yakin (Switzerland)
Iordanescu (Romania)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 433>
  Share Topic