Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 430>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by nice triangles nice triangles wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

There's nothing from Mick's last reign that would make me believe he could have us qualifying for tournaments again. We struggled against the minnows and the better teams had us at arms length

the football is a relic of a bygone era.

Since his last stint with the national team

won 2 drawn 1 lost 5 with APOEL, a team with significant advantages over much of the league
sacked by Cardiff after losing 8 in a row
lasted 3 months at Blackpool after 2 wins in 14

a great man, a good man. But not a good manager in the modern era. It would be a disaster

pointing at the fact he qualified us for one tournament over 20 years ago lacks any nuance or thought
Agree ....
Never forget this game;

Have to say this was one of the worst Ireland performances I can remember, I include Stan, MON and SK in that. It was his first game back, but we were so so bad.

Our blushes saved by Darren Randolph that day.

The 2nd Gib game was equally as bad. We needed an OG and a last minute Brady strike to get over the line, we were awful

He made a great save alright but those that were at the game will remember the gale force winds. Was always going to be very difficult to play any type of decent football. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sponsored Links

Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:38am
Now that the thread has slowed down a bit, could someone give a factual summary of what's happened. Who was asked to take the job, who said no. 

Every time I log in there's usually 150+ posts and I couldn't be arsed reading through all those pretending to be in the know, just to find the one bit of truth in the thread.

Anyway, a brief summary please, if you could Smile
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:50am
Summary - 

Canham has been bluffing the whole time.
No one wants the job.
John O'Shea will most likely get the gig.
O'She'a appointment will be dressed up as a successful appointment. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

Great summary. Would add:

Expectations have dropped so low that having the O'Shea appointment done and dusted will be viewed as a victory. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 1:58pm

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

I still can’t believe he didn’t have O’Shea tied down before doing that video.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

I still can’t believe he didn’t have O’Shea tied down before doing that video.

I think he probably tried but O'Shea will know the depth of the sh it he's in fully and will know what a mess the recruitment drive was. I don't get why O'Shea would hang around waiting to be the last person asked, like it seems to be, that doesn't add up.

I think O'Shea might have some demands  / terms of his own at this point and has waited patiently for his moment when he can make them. 
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:24pm

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

Some extra points:

The early contenders such as Coleman and Lennon now look like a great idea
TooOldForThis is possibly Jonafan Hill or Mark with a C
TJ won the war with Borussia (sleeper agent)
Time is a flat circle (bring back Mick McCarthy)

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:25pm
Hilarious thing is that OShea spent most of last week hanging around FAI HQ 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

Some extra points:

I'd not class anybody who'd want Eoin Hand back right now as the winner of any war!
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:50pm

Summary - 

No one wants the job.

Some extra points:

The early contenders such as Coleman and Lennon now look like a great idea - Good God, no.
TooOldForThis is possibly Jonafan Hill or Mark with a C - Definitely 
TJ won the war with Borussia (sleeper agent) - No decisive outcome.
Time is a flat circle (bring back Mick McCarthy) - This would be a season ticket on the bonfire moment.
uibhfaillian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uibhfaillian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:15pm

There's nothing from Mick's last reign that would make me believe he could have us qualifying for tournaments again. We struggled against the minnows and the better teams had us at arms length

won 2 drawn 1 lost 5 with APOEL, a team with significant advantages over much of the league

a great man, a good man. But not a good manager in the modern era. It would be a disaster

pointing at the fact he qualified us for one tournament over 20 years ago lacks any nuance or thought
Agree ....
Never forget this game;

Have to say this was one of the worst Ireland performances I can remember, I include Stan, MON and SK in that. It was his first game back, but we were so so bad.

Why would you bracket MON with Stan and Kenny? It finished a bit of a damp squib with MON but it’s ridiculous for you to bracket him with Stan and Kenny. Stan and Kenny were an abject failure from start to finish. MON had success, got to Euro 16, did well at the tournament and play off place in the following qualifying campaign. 

Absolutely ridiculous the way some people wipe things from history for reasons only known to themselves.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by uibhfaillian uibhfaillian wrote:

Agree ....
Never forget this game;

Why would you bracket MON with Stan and Kenny? It finished a bit of a damp squib with MON but it’s ridiculous for you to bracket him with Stan and Kenny. Stan and Kenny were an abject failure from start to finish. MON had success, got to Euro 16, did well at the tournament and play off place in the following qualifying campaign. 

Absolutely ridiculous the way some people wipe things from history for reasons only known to themselves.
I put MON in there because he had us playing some of the worst football I have ever seen Ireland play, up there with peak Trap. He did qualify us for Euro 2016, and fair play....but that was the luckiest campaign I can ever remember. The 1-0 win vs Germany where we realistically should have been beaten 6-1. The injury time equaliser at home to Poland as well when we got a chasing for 90 mins. 
We also got Bosnia in the play off, which was the draw from heaven.
We also didn't 'do well' at the tournament. We had the Swedes on the ropes but threw it away. Got an absolute hiding from Belgium and beat a second string Italian team who were already through.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:51pm

Agree ....
Never forget this game;

I put MON in there because he had us playing some of the worst football I have ever seen Ireland play, up there with peak Trap. He did qualify us for Euro 2016, and fair play....but that was the luckiest campaign I can ever remember. The 1-0 win vs Germany where we realistically should have been beaten 6-1. The injury time equaliser at home to Poland as well when we got a chasing for 90 mins. 
We also got Bosnia in the play off, which was the draw from heaven.
We also didn't 'do well' at the tournament. We had the Swedes on the ropes but threw it away. Got an absolute hiding from Belgium and beat a second string Italian team who were already through.

So much wrong with this post, we held our own in Euro 2016. What we'd give to be anywhere near that level now Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Inkennywetrust View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkennywetrust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:56pm

Agree ....
Never forget this game;

I know some fans have trouble accepting it but Kenny didn't underperform with the quality of players available so to liken him to Stan is absurd. Staunton by comparison had a great team. 

No non-Irish person would look at our squad and think a 60th Fifa ranking or finishing behind Serbia, Portugal, France, Netherlands and Greece in qualifying is an under performance. 

The entire disconnect of fan expectation versus reality is why this position has been so hard to fill, every potential manager knows that to be considered successful they need to deliver miracles. 

Edited by Inkennywetrust - 23 Apr 2024 at 3:57pm
Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

424 pages. It'll be 700 by the time Bruce is announced

Nah I reckon lots of people have tuned out.  We don’t care anymore. 

Me for one. The past weekend was probably the 1st one in years I didn't actively look for how the Irish players got on in their club games, cos what's the fcukin point
Dont argue with stupid people, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Inkennywetrust Inkennywetrust wrote:

Agree ....
Never forget this game;

I know some fans have trouble accepting it but Kenny didn't underperform with the quality of players available so to liken him to Stan is absurd. Staunton by comparison had a great team. 

No non-Irish person would look at our squad and think a 60th Fifa ranking or finishing behind Serbia, Portugal, France, Netherlands and Greece in qualifying is an under performance. 

The entire disconnect of fan expectation versus reality is why this position has been so hard to fill, every potential manager knows that to be considered successful they need to deliver miracles. 
Stan definitely had better players than MON, and MON had better players than Kenny. Kenny still should have done better with the players available to him. I really wanted him to do well, but he failed at the job. 
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

[QUOTE=horsebox]Summary - 

No one wants the job.

Some extra points:

[/QUOTE3]
Christy Browne all along....  best outsider.. 2/1 bookies favourite.. Barter Account will payout and the winner and  receive flip flops for the upcoming Taylor Swift Concert in the Aviva, sitting next to Marty Morrissey, and he'll drive you home on the Renault he borrowed for 5 years. birds of a feather symdrome.

I'd not class anybody who'd want Eoin Hand back right now as the winner of any war!
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:08pm
Noel King no longer available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 430>
  Share Topic